Welcome To Chelsea Thiago Silva *Official*

14 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Such a shame that we got him at the end of his career. What a player. 

Hes outstanding isnt he, he was the one signing I was most excited about and thankfully he has lived up to that. Just gotta hope we can get him back fit as quickly as possible because I worry how we will do without him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

17 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t blame him in the slightest for the two yellows, he was put in that situation by Jorginho who was absolutely shocking and reckless.

T.Silva was also, shocking and reckless. Can't avoid that part of his own personal responsibility.

3 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Cost us the win more than Jorgino and Tuchel imo which makes it easier because he's been so good all season. People make errors and it was his turn.

First yellow it was either bring down the forward or let him get through on goal. 

Second one he's made attempt to block a shot on goal, something you rarely ever see a player booked for. 

But both of those situations were a direct consequence of Jorginho cheaply conceding possession in our own half. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

First yellow it was either bring down the forward or let him get through on goal. 

Second one he's made attempt to block a shot on goal, something you rarely ever see a player booked for. 

But both of those situations were a direct consequence of Jorginho cheaply conceding possession in our own half. 

As Allardyce said, could have been a red for that alone. But both situations were down to shocking play by Jorginho.

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

As Allardyce said, could have been a red for that alone. 

Unlikely. Wouldn't think you could say it was denying a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity and there was another defender right near. 

I'm not saying Silva is blameless but I definitely hold Jorginho accountable for continuously giving away possession in dangerous areas forcing Silva into making erratic tackles. 

7 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Unlikely. Wouldn't think you could say it was denying a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity and there was another defender right near. 

I'm not saying Silva is blameless but I definitely hold Jorginho accountable for continuously giving away possession in dangerous areas forcing Silva into making erratic tackles. 

Not only Jorginho, Zouma's positioning was atrocious before and after the red. 

Ironically I've gone full circle after 24 hours. Originally I had concluded that Tuchel had gone about it the wrong way. If he had stuck with our usual back 3 Rudi, Andreas and Azpi for this game he could have used the back ups Zouma, Silva for UCL.

Now this original thought wasn't because I underestimate Porto more the case that I expect we would have the ball more often than against WBA because I was thinking Porto would sit back and soak in the pressure having UCL experience at the back (Silva) would have been good.

It also would have allowed us to maintain momentum in the league by fielding a stronger side and then rotating for UCL. Now I see that Tuchel saw it the opposite he had the script the other way around due to the caliber of competition in UCL top 8. I'm assuming he thought that Porto would press more and we would see more of the ball vs WBA so he could afford to rest players for Porto.

I'll be honest he will never say it in public but TT will privately feel he could win the UCL with this Chelsea or any 'top' team I think he feels he's that good of a coach (I'm starting to agree). He then banked on Thiago experience at the highest level to take us through this hurdle so we could focus on Porto.

Now tbf to Thiago whilst that 2nd yellow can be given I don't think many refs would give that unless they generally wanted to be a dick. That's interpreting the rules to the extreme there, with no consistency if you look at challenges on Pulisic and Werner.

This is where Tuchel was let down by Thiago because whether that should be a yellow or not it was given and with his experience he should know that there was no need to make that block on a yellow. It's not like it was a last ditch tackle to stop a 1v1. I expect him to have a chip on his shoulder like Rudi did after his og, Silva will return from his red card most likely at his best level.

8 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Cost us the win more than Jorgino and Tuchel imo which makes it easier because he's been so good all season. People make errors and it was his turn.

No not for me. First yellow was a fair call, Big Sam is a idiot for claiming it could be a red. Right with another defender covering sure it could be. WUM

Second one is never a booking. He is making a block, barley touches their player who acts like he is playing for Barcelona and rolls about like he has been shot.

Same ref a few minutes before decides the exact same thing, defender tryimg to block, misses and ball and catches the attacker is no foul, no pen, no card. David Coote cost us not Thiago and Coote has been Anthony Taylor's ĺevels of bad all season. How he is still in the PL is a joke.

Also worth pointing out with Silva on, despite Jorgi being awful, we concede no goals in 30 minutes. With Christensen on we let in 5 in 60. I know which of those two I blame more.

• 4 weeks later...