From Across the Pond

I have followed club soccer generally for about a decade now.  This was the first year I have ever followed a team specifically.  I saw I'd say at least 75 -80% of Chelsea's matches this year.  I am an American child of the 70s and 80s and have been following the international scene since 1986 World Cup on my little B&W TV in my room when I was 14.  I have followed the USMNT more closely than all but a few percentage of Americans and sometimes watch every match of the World Cup and Euros because I think it's awesome and I have summers off.

But this is the first year I followed a club and it was fun especially after the break when CP was kicking ace all the way until he was probably going to register at least a brace in the FA Cup and had to be helped off the field.  

I couldn't watch the Munich game because it seemed pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Anyway, what are your lifers thougths on the season?  To me as an outsider, it was a Hell of a season for a very young club.  It is very encouraging as a fan.  It seems like Chelsea should be really good for years to come.  Yet it seems that many here are dissatisfied with the results.  Is it just general internet Beeotching or do most Chelsea fans really expect for this club to be at the very top already?  After losing Hazard, its seems like the club achieved better than expectations by a fur piece as we rednecks say (traslation: alot).

So my questions for other fans around the world are What do you think of this past season and what do you think of the clubs' future as it is currently constituted?

From my perspective, there were many positives to take from the season.  Top four finish and CL for consecutive years is important - note we were a club regularly in the quarters or semis of CL for a while.  With a new manager and transfer ban, expectations were reasonably adjusted.  We came out the gates stronger than expected and managed to hold onto that all important position.  Emergence of youth players always gives fans a lot to cheer about.

That said, the frustration of repeating the same mistakes week after week was infuriating.  Chelsea teams of recent years have always had leadership and character, but those traits were missing.  The keeper and defense was shambolic for majority of the season and simply not up to the standards we are accustomed to.

Regarding the future - well I haven't been this excited since Roman's first and second summers.  Expectations will be higher, and rightly so.  But with a little time and some required adjustments (goalkeeper) we have a lot to look forward to.  Pulisic was lethal at the end of the season; supplementing that quality with other players equal or more deadly will give the opposition a lot to think about.  Defense will need to be more organized, and I think we'll struggle in midfield for a while until we figure out our best line up.  Jorginho is too weak for me, and Kante isn't getting caught out too often.  RLC and Odoi need to step up also - RLC isn't a youngster anymore and time to cement his place in the side (which I think we can do).

• 1 month later...

I hate to be the one to do this (if you substitute hate for love 😂) but...there are several things wrong with the original post in this thread. Before I get into that though. You made the correct choice on picking Chelsea even of it was just because we brought one of your own. Congratulations you now follow the pride of London may I suggest looking deep into our history, watching old games and learning some of our famous songs and chants of by heart including my personal favourite celery. You will also need to chuck out any red jerseys you have (unless they are depicting anything with the 49ers logo) this will all get you on your way to becoming a true blue (apart from the Niners bit, that's just my opinion) back to the errors the first error is probably the most important one to be corrected FOOTBALL under no circumstances is it ok to say "soccer" the next error you admitted to not watching a match because you knew we would loose. We enjoy the good times and we stay faithful through the bad. If you have to miss a match because or work or your being dragged (hopefully kicking and screaming) to some family occasion that is ok we have all had to miss matches at some point or another but we never miss a match on purpose no matter how bleak the outlook is. Next I got to point out that Chelsea are not a young club we have a history going back to 1905. And it's very important to know this because all of our rivals would have you believe that we were founded after the Mr A take over.

Apart from all that...welcome we're glad to have you 👍

As for your questions the main thing I'd like to respond to is the general negativity around what you read online. For the better part of two decades we have been spoilt, it's been a true luxury. At the moment though we are going through a total overhaul it's ands going to take some time to get back to that point. It's easy for us to get impatient and that's what most of the comments will be just a little frustration and impatience, but we know deep down not to expect too much at the moment. In terms you can understand. Now Brady has left the Pats imagine if next year Belichick retired and half the defence were getting towards the end of their careers. Can you imagine all the bitching all the patriots fans will be giving out? Not thinking about getting high draft picks Vs making the play offs and bleeding the youngsters in to the team with the vets they want instant results now, screw the long term.

2 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

I hate to be the one to do this (if you substitute hate for love 😂) but...there are several things wrong with the original post in this thread. Before I get into that though. You made the correct choice on picking Chelsea even of it was just because we brought one of your own. Congratulations you now follow the pride of London may I suggest looking deep into our history, watching old games and learning some of our famous songs and chants of by heart including my personal favourite celery. You will also need to chuck out any red jerseys you have (unless they are depicting anything with the 49ers logo) this will all get you on your way to becoming a true blue (apart from the Niners bit, that's just my opinion) back to the errors the first error is probably the most important one to be corrected FOOTBALL under no circumstances is it ok to say "soccer" the next error you admitted to not watching a match because you knew we would loose. We enjoy the good times and we stay faithful through the bad. If you have to miss a match because or work or your being dragged (hopefully kicking and screaming) to some family occasion that is ok we have all had to miss matches at some point or another but we never miss a match on purpose no matter how bleak the outlook is. Next I got to point out that Chelsea are not a young club we have a history going back to 1905. And it's very important to know this because all of our rivals would have you believe that we were founded after the Mr A take over.

Apart from all that...welcome we're glad to have you 👍

As for your questions the main thing I'd like to respond to is the general negativity around what you read online. For the better part of two decades we have been spoilt, it's been a true luxury. At the moment though we are going through a total overhaul it's ands going to take some time to get back to that point. It's easy for us to get impatient and that's what most of the comments will be just a little frustration and impatience, but we know deep down not to expect too much at the moment. In terms you can understand. Now Brady has left the Pats imagine if next year Belichick retired and half the defence were getting towards the end of their careers. Can you imagine all the bitching all the patriots fans will be giving out? Not thinking about getting high draft picks Vs making the play offs and bleeding the youngsters in to the team with the vets they want instant results now, screw the long term.

That's funny.  Man I do apologize about the S word.  Big oversight on my part.  

As far as the idea of not watching the football match v. Munich, man I just didn't want to go there mood wise that day.  Again, I apologize.  I need to strap on a pair next time.

The day after Belechik retires, that team will return to mediocrity.  

I think the internet is negative in general.  I tend to be a negative watcher of sports.  My brother and I beeotch in texts all day long when we watch Colts games.  But yea it sounds like the club did pretty good last year and you called it an overhaul.  We'd call it a rebuild.  If you can remain competitive during a rebuild that's luxury.

I don't think CFC is clicking yet like they probably will once the new talent and Pulisic get totally healthy and on the same page.

Man what is a possible tactical reason to have CP playing out of position right now?  Everyone on here seems pissed about it, but there has to be some reason even if it is a weak reason.  

Say soccer all you want. 

It's an english word. It's short for aSOCCiation football which is the formal term for football. 

Same as Rugby is Rugby Football and people call it Rugger.

There's a lot of english people who refer to american football as NFL. That's the name of the league, not the sport. That's more offensive in my opinion! 

Edited by bisright1
On 21/10/2020 at 19:09, bisright1 said:

Say soccer all you want. 

It's an english word. It's short for aSOCCiation football which is the formal term for football. 

There's a lot of english people who refer to american football as NFL. That's the name of the league, not the sport. That's more offensive in my opinion! 

It's football. Foot and ball. The other word is Caribbean  music. ::MooNeY::

That is very offensive, why can’t they just call it poor mans rugby like normal people?

On 21/10/2020 at 19:05, DumbYank said:

Man what is a possible tactical reason to have CP playing out of position right now?  Everyone on here seems pissed about it, but there has to be some reason even if it is a weak reason.  

I can only guess Mount has been playing there because of his defensive work rate, though Mount can score as well.

CP was outstanding end of last season on the Left, Frank has to move him there soon or his sanity will be questioned.

I'm a past-year forum lurker and also a new Chelsea fan from across the pond. I've followed football for decades since my playing days and have always been a fan of the EPL and Chelsea in particular. I liked the players and team's playing style. I liked the blue uniforms. Once Pulisic moved from Dortmund, I began watching nearly every match -- even the ones at 6am on a Saturday morning. I thought I would share some of my interesting learnings from this past year:

• What the English call a "draw" is what we would call a "tie". So hearing that teams were engaged in a tie was really confusing at first. 
  • And speaking of ties, the idea that you could use the cumulative scores in a tie in a tournament format (UCL) is really smart from a drama standpoint.
  • I never realized that team selection was a big deal and was not known well in advance. In American sports you pretty much always know who is going to play. 
  • Derbies are races in the US (like the Kentucky Derby horse race). It's another confusing term for those of us west pond dwellers.
  • The press seem to refer to every first team member as a "Chelsea star".  We reserve the star label for the highest performing players. 
  • The idea that you could loan out a team member to another team in the same league is astonishing. There would be riots in the streets if teams did that here. 
  •  The beauty of the relegation system is that it creates excitement at both the top and the bottom of the table. Again, that's a completely foreign concept here.
  • There's a difference between being fit and being match fit. We don't have many team sports where a player would potentially be playing for 90 minutes straight.
  • We've had the equivalent of VAR for many years now so it's interesting to see the EPL trying to make it work.

I've got lots of other interesting learnings and I've enjoyed getting to know the team better over the past year. In fact, I was planning to try to fly over for a game this year before covid derailed those plans. It's one of the first things I'm going to do once we can travel again.

10 hours ago, jbdiver said:

I'm a past-year forum lurker and also a new Chelsea fan from across the pond. I've followed football for decades since my playing days and have always been a fan of the EPL and Chelsea in particular. I liked the players and team's playing style. I liked the blue uniforms. Once Pulisic moved from Dortmund, I began watching nearly every match -- even the ones at 6am on a Saturday morning. I thought I would share some of my interesting learnings from this past year:

• What the English call a "draw" is what we would call a "tie". So hearing that teams were engaged in a tie was really confusing at first. 
  • And speaking of ties, the idea that you could use the cumulative scores in a tie in a tournament format (UCL) is really smart from a drama standpoint.
  • I never realized that team selection was a big deal and was not known well in advance. In American sports you pretty much always know who is going to play. 
  • Derbies are races in the US (like the Kentucky Derby horse race). It's another confusing term for those of us west pond dwellers.
  • The press seem to refer to every first team member as a "Chelsea star".  We reserve the star label for the highest performing players. 
  • The idea that you could loan out a team member to another team in the same league is astonishing. There would be riots in the streets if teams did that here. 
  •  The beauty of the relegation system is that it creates excitement at both the top and the bottom of the table. Again, that's a completely foreign concept here.
  • There's a difference between being fit and being match fit. We don't have many team sports where a player would potentially be playing for 90 minutes straight.
  • We've had the equivalent of VAR for many years now so it's interesting to see the EPL trying to make it work.

I've got lots of other interesting learnings and I've enjoyed getting to know the team better over the past year. In fact, I was planning to try to fly over for a game this year before covid derailed those plans. It's one of the first things I'm going to do once we can travel again.

Welcome JBDiver

10 hours ago, jbdiver said:

Probably the best rookie post on this forum, welcome.

Believe me you don't offend anyone by calling it soccer, you just sound a bit odd and probably new to the game.

15 hours ago, jbdiver said:

The same applies here too. We have what’s simply known as ‘The Derby’ at Epsom racecourse that I live right next (and have never bothered going) to. 

On 21/10/2020 at 20:05, DumbYank said:

That's funny.  Man I do apologize about the S word.  Big oversight on my part.  

As far as the idea of not watching the football match v. Munich, man I just didn't want to go there mood wise that day.  Again, I apologize.  I need to strap on a pair next time.

The day after Belechik retires, that team will return to mediocrity.  

I think the internet is negative in general.  I tend to be a negative watcher of sports.  My brother and I beeotch in texts all day long when we watch Colts games.  But yea it sounds like the club did pretty good last year and you called it an overhaul.  We'd call it a rebuild.  If you can remain competitive during a rebuild that's luxury.

I don't think CFC is clicking yet like they probably will once the new talent and Pulisic get totally healthy and on the same page.

Glad you found it funny you septics don't normally get my sense of humour 😂

I'm watching the 49ers destroy the Pats 😁 I don't think we're going to have to wait for Belichick to retire for mediocrity Jimmy G has thrown 2 picks and 49ers are still running away with it. To think o was nervous before kick off. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself with there still being 2 qtrs left to play 🤞

2 hours ago, Richard P said:

Never understood a World Series with only Americans in it!!!

Ha - I've always asked that since moving here.  Actually a fun read, and can see how over time it has been shortened (doesn't make it right, but what the hell, sounds better than the Sports Drink Cup or Emirates or EON FA Cup).

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

On 21/10/2020 at 14:09, bisright1 said:

Say soccer all you want. 

I saw somewhere that the term football was originally used to refer to any sport that was played on foot as opposed to the sports on horseback such as polo that were played by the aristocracy.  

And so that is why you have so many different sports that call themselves football which include Rugby, Association Football, American football, Canadian football, and Aussie Rules Football.  It actually has nothing to do with the fact that Association Football is generally played with one's feet.

So really all of them can lay equal claim to the term because it originally referred to a sport that wasn't played from the back of a horse.  

On 23/10/2020 at 19:22, jbdiver said:

The more I watch Association football the more I generally find it easier to follow their terms.  The Draw/Tie thing is pretty easy to get over. . . In chess if neither team wins it's called a draw.  

I find there are advantages and disadvantages to both styles of pro-sports.  Promotion and Relegation does keep things more interesting, but at the same time I also look at Europe and every team is simply dominated by 2 to 6 wealthy teams.   The EPL is probably the top to bottom most competitive of all the European leagues, only 7 teams have won the title since '92 and Machester U accounts for almost half of those titles.  9 teams have won since 1929 and 60 of those titles have been won by either Barcelona or Real Madrid.  

On that note the loan system is actually for that purpose. . . you take a player who right now isn't good enough to play on your first team, ideally if he's young and he's just starting his career and you give him to a lesser team so that he can get playing time.  It makes sense when you understand that over the course of a season the wealthy team is going to dominate regardless.

I also do find it odd that pretty much every player is referred to as a "star".  I wonder if the Brits arn't using the term star to mean "famous" rather than "great player".  (IE they are using it more like we would use the term "movie star")

Have you not followed soccer heavily until recently?  

The word difference is interesting on a number of different levels.

Here football is used for the game we follow via CFC yet also some rugby clubs like Saracens call themselves Saracens.F.C 

Not only the US yet Australia and NZ call the game soccer too.

In Australia the national team is the Socceroos

Australia's most popular sport is Aussie Rules Football a different game using handling of the ball yet also called football or footy, so more room for confusion.

On 25/10/2020 at 17:02, Malta Blue said:

Glad you found it funny you septics don't normally get my sense of humour 😂

I'm watching the 49ers destroy the Pats 😁 I don't think we're going to have to wait for Belichick to retire for mediocrity Jimmy G has thrown 2 picks and 49ers are still running away with it. To think o was nervous before kick off. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself with there still being 2 qtrs left to play 🤞

Ole Bill shoulda kept ole Tom around another year or two.  Indy fan so I can’t stand him but it’s pretty obvious.

WTF a septic?  It’s where the poopy goes here.

12 hours ago, DumbYank said:

Ole Bill shoulda kept ole Tom around another year or two.  Indy fan so I can’t stand him but it’s pretty obvious.

WTF a septic?  It’s where the poopy goes here.

Hahaha. A lesson in unofficial english... you Americans call us Brits limey's, in return we call you yanks.

Now I'm guessing you have heard cockney rhyming slang but do you know how it works? It's normally two seemingly random words that makes translates into a single word in English. The second word of these two always rhymes with the word we are translating I'm going to use the popular "apples and pears" this means stairs (plural of a step, sometimes referred to as a stair case) you'll notice that pears and stairs rhyme...the first word, in this case "apple" is always a word associated with the second word. In this case an apple and a pear are both similar fruits. Quite often cockeny slang is shortened to the first word only. An American (like yourself) would never associate the word apple with the word stairs.

Now...onto "septic"... You quite rightly referred to poop....you would of course associate the words septic and tank to make septic tank. If you care to say tank out loud you would also notice that tank somewhat rhymes with yank...therefore a septic tank is an American not unlike like yourself.

15 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

Hahaha. A lesson in unofficial english... you Americans call us Brits limey's, in return we call you yanks.

Now I'm guessing you have heard cockney rhyming slang but do you know how it works? It's normally two seemingly random words that makes translates into a single word in English. The second word of these two always rhymes with the word we are translating I'm going to use the popular "apples and pears" this means stairs (plural of a step, sometimes referred to as a stair case) you'll notice that pears and stairs rhyme...the first word, in this case "apple" is always a word associated with the second word. In this case an apple and a pear are both similar fruits. Quite often cockeny slang is shortened to the first word only. An American (like yourself) would never associate the word apple with the word stairs.

Now...onto "septic"... You quite rightly referred to poop....you would of course associate the words septic and tank to make septic tank. If you care to say tank out loud you would also notice that tank somewhat rhymes with yank...therefore a septic tank is an American not unlike like yourself.

That’s some complex idiom.  You guys all understand each other?