New signings effect on the academy lads... Good or bad ?

There has to be some effect on the lads coming through, as buying five starters at the level we have bought  must hold some back.

I do think that Mason and Reece will cement their places but it's going to be tough for the likes of Tammy and young Billy Gilmour, as well as others who were on the fringes last year.

I'm not complaining as I think the players signed are top draw, and in a couple of years should see us competing for the prem.

Good or bad?, what do others think?

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

The higher level in the club the better the younger players will get. I'm not worried about Billy but I'm slightly worried about Tammy because he will miss being in the starting lineup, here's hope that he keeps working hard.

Completely agree, it seems like he will be 3rd choice next season but the more concerning thing is that he is the sort of player who performs at optimum levels when given a run of games, he isn't the greatest off the bench or in one off games.

However I think the season after he will be 2nd choice as I don't think Giroud will further extend his contract. 

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

Always good. If they can't fight for their place, they are not good at first place and they don't deserve it. Thank god people are not getting the jobs based on their birthplace anymore. 

Exactly, any other type of mentality is what leads you to potentially having players like Lingard hanging about until his late 20s.

Mount and James will be fine.  I worry about Tammy though because looking at his skills objectively, what doe he do better than Timo or Giroud?

I think Billy could use a loan.

I think RLC and CHO are the two will struggle the most with the incoming transfers.  I'd love to see CHO go out on loan.

The bar needs to be very high. Last season it wasn't for obvious reasons. My only concern is some people might have thought this is the new Chelsea.

What happened was a transfer ban combined with signing of Frank and his team (who know the youth very well) and a very talented bunch of young Chelsea academy graduates. Last season was an exception.

Tammy, Tomori, Gilmour are likely to see much less football than they did. Tomori loaned out probably. Actually Reece could also take a hit if Azpi performs.

I feel Mount and Callum are fine. Callum could benefit of the departures.

Competition is never a bad thing. As a young player it motivates you to work harder and push towards your limits.

I'm sure that they will get enough football. The season is 4 weeks shorter than usual and we need good squad depth and rotation.

Five players in but we lost two (so far), so really it's just three additions. If we consider each position it doesn't look so bad for the youngsters.

In attack we gained Werner, who will probably be first choice starter. The PL schedule next season is already very busy, and if we have a few good cup runs it's going to be very tough, so I expect Abraham will still get his fair share of starts, with Giroud also chipping in with a few starts and a lot of sub appearances. How often do we play 90 minutes with the same forward anyway? So I can't see Abraham losing out too much, he will probably start fewer games but this means we won't have to keep picking him when he's out of form, as we did last season.

For AM we lost Willian and Pedro but gained Ziyech and Havertz. Assuming we play with one attacker and three AMs, our strongest attacking line-up will probably be Pulisic-Havertz-Ziyech. CHO can fill in at left as well as right wing, so he should get plenty of chances due to rotation and injuries. Pulisic seems to miss quite a few games and Ziyech is already injured, so we need strength in numbers here. Mount offers a very different skill-set to the other AMs, and is well trusted by Lampard, so he will also see plenty of action. The number and different types of players we have in AM seems very well-balanced to me.

In CM there haven't been any changes, although Jorginho seems to be increasingly a fringe player these days, which could give Gilmour a chance to shine (I'm sure he would have played more last season if it wasn't for the injury). Kovacic and Kante (if fit) will likely be first choice starters alongside one other player (I'd love to see a midfield three of Kovacic-Gilmour-Kante), but as with other positions, there will be a lot of rotation due to the crazy match schedule and injuries, so RLC should get his fair share of chances along with Barkley.

In defence it's a different story. Silva will be a nailed on starter at first, but who knows how this one will work out. I'm usually quite optimistic but I'm worried he will struggle with the pace of the PL. We just have too many ok-but-not-great players in defence, and they're blocking Tomori and Ampadu, who are potentially better (in my opinion). Lampard also seems reluctant to pick Tomori, which is weird because he looked good for us and was Lampard's best player at Derby the season before, and the other defenders hardly covered themselves in glory last season. I'm hoping we can shed one or two of the older CBs before the start of the season, but it seems possible that it's Tomori and Ampadu who might end up being shipped out on loan.

Edited by bluedave
8 minutes ago, bluedave said:

Five players in but we lost two (so far), so really it's just three additions. If we consider each position it doesn't look so bad for the youngsters.

In attack we gained Werner, who will probably be first choice starter. The PL schedule next season is already very busy, and if we have a few good cup runs it's going to be very tough, so I expect Abraham will still get his fair share of starts, with Giroud also chipping in with a few starts and a lot of sub appearances. How often do we play 90 minutes with the same forward anyway? So I can't see Abraham losing out too much, he will probably start fewer games but this means we won't have to keep picking him when he's out of form, as we did last season.

For AM we lost Willian and Pedro but gained Ziyech and Havertz. Assuming we play with one attacker and three AMs, our strongest attacking line-up will probably be Pulisic-Havertz-Ziyech. CHO can fill in at left as well as right wing, so he should get plenty of chances due to rotation and injuries. Pulisic seems to miss quite a few games and Ziyech is already injured, so we need strength in numbers here. Mount offers a very different skill-set to the other AMs, and is well trusted by Lampard, so he will also see plenty of action. The number and different types of players we have in AM seems very well-balanced to me.

In CM there haven't been any changes, although Jorginho seems to be increasingly a fringe player these days, which could give Gilmour a chance to shine (I'm sure he would have played more last season if it wasn't for the injury). Kovacic and Kante (if fit) will likely be first choice starters alongside one other player (I'd love to see a midfield three of Kovacic-Gilmour-Kante), but as with other positions, there will be a lot of rotation due to the crazy match schedule and injuries, so RLC should get his fair share of chances along with Barkley.

In defence it's a different story. Silva will be a nailed on starter at first, but who knows how this one will work out. I'm usually quite optimistic but I'm worried he will struggle with the pace of the PL. We just have too many ok-but-not-great players in defence, and they're blocking Tomori and Ampadu, who are potentially better (in my opinion). Lampard also seems reluctant to pick Tomori, which is weird because he looked good for us and was Lampard's best player at Derby the season before, and the other defenders hardly covered themselves in glory last season. I'm hoping we can shed one or two of the older CBs before the start of the season, but it seems possible that it's Tomori and Ampadu who might end up being shipped out on loan.

I'd agree with all this although you seem to suggest we will be playing with 6 midfielders. 

14 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I'd agree with all this although you seem to suggest we will be playing with 6 midfielders. 

Yeah good point, I don't know if we'll mostly play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1, or even three at the back. Most likely Lampard will switch it around depending on the situation. Maybe we can play 4-3-3-1 and just leave Kepa out altogether.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that, excluding defence, we have a net gain of one player (three in and two out), and with the cramped schedule and the certainty that players will get injured at some point, I'm not too worried about the development of most of our youngsters being stunted, and if they can't cope with the competition then they're never going to make it here anyway. It's only really the young defenders I'm concerned about.

15 hours ago, Droopy said:

Always good. If they can't fight for their place, they are not good at first place and they don't deserve it. Thank god people are not getting the jobs based on their birthplace anymore. 

Same goes the other way, just because you come from the continent with a huge price tag, it doesn't mean anything until you show your worth it on the pitch, as Kepa well knows.

7 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Why do so many people think Mount will be fine when Havertz is playing exactly the same position? I feel his playing time will be cut in half.

Because going by the end of last season Lampard is looking at playing two 8's in the 433.

I’m not worried about Billy Gilmour, clearly he is going to be at an elite level when he matures.

I think the one who will be most affected is Tammy and to be honest, he’s not good enough for a title challenging team, but more than good enough to be a squad player.

Who else is there? Mount and James will break into the team, Tomori is still a question mark for me.

Hudson Odoi will need to step up massively if he wants to break in the team and he is capable of it, but will he step up?

Seeing how frank has managed so far - its pretty simple. You perform in training to get starts and you perform in matches to keep your place. Tomori and GIlmour are the perfect examples.. he didnt think twice about picking Gilmour over Jorginho and also dropping Tomori when he made mistakes.. so essentially with Frank if you are good enough you play ..

Some would likely develop better out on loan this season, imo players like Tomori, Gilmour and Abraham.

I look at it as our current 25 man squad as to what opportunities they would likely get.

GK: Kepa, Willy Cab and a youth or new signing

Full backs: Dave, James, Emerson, Alonso, Chilwell.

Center backs: Silva, Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen, Ampadu, Tomori.

Deeper Midfielders: Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Ampadu, Gilmour.

Attacking midfielders: Havertz, Mount, RLC

Wide Attackers: Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO, Mount

Strikers: Werner, Giroud, Abraham

Squad is 2 players to heavy as it is, if we can offload Jorginho and Emerson that would keep it at 25, opportunities look slim for Gilmour and Tomori still unless injuries happen and for Tammy unless Werner moves out wide.

Edited by axman2526

It should be nothing but a positive, I suppose to begin with when it's originally announced it will be disappointing for them, especially those that performed well last season. However, if you want to make it at a top club - you need to have an elite mentality that no matter who comes through that door, you're going to show the manager why you're the best person to play. New additions should only help to push the players we already have on to become even better players. I doubt the likes of Frank panicked when Ballack etc came in, you need to show why you deserve a starting spot. Frank has shown over the last season that he will pick players on merit and how they perform in training and in games so the young players shouldn't be disheartened while he's in charge. There's still plenty of opportunities for them to shine if they work hard.

13 hours ago, ducavis said:

Am I reading this right; Tammy who scored 15pl goals in his 1st season will be 3rd choice.

Tammy did great in the first half of last season, then he faded away, and Giroud stepped up. It's not so odd to have Timo Werner starting, to see how he adapts. Whether Abraham will be 2nd or 3rd choice will depend on how he does in training, I expect.

17 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Some would likely develop better out on loan this season, imo players like Tomori, Gilmour and Abraham.

I look at it as our current 25 man squad as to what opportunities they would likely get.

GK: Kepa, Willy Cab and a youth or new signing

Full backs: Dave, James, Emerson, Alonso, Chilwell.

Center backs: Silva, Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen, Ampadu, Tomori.

Deeper Midfielders: Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Ampadu, Gilmour.

Attacking midfielders: Havertz, Mount, RLC

Wide Attackers: Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO, Mount

Strikers: Werner, Giroud, Abraham

Squad is 2 players to heavy as it is, if we can offload Jorginho and Emerson that would keep it at 25, opportunities look slim for Gilmour and Tomori still unless injuries happen and for Tammy unless Werner moves out wide.

It's actually 4 heavy, as you've left out Barkley and Batshuayi ...

And we've also got 12 of the loan army to sort out as well of course ... 13 if you include van Ginkel.

21 hours ago, Argo said:

Because going by the end of last season Lampard is looking at playing two 8's in the 433.

Mason played on the wing most of those times though iirc. I don't think Frank see's him as a CM.

Edited by Vagabond
4 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Mason played on the wing most of those times though iirc. I don't think Frank see's him as a CM.

He only played on the wings when there were injuries or it was a one off for tactical reason's (for example Spurs away).

With two wingers fit he was playing CM the majority of the time.