Sign in to follow this  
CFCCAN

Alan Hudson

I came across this old article a week or so ago; seeing Hudson play, as good as he was, I wouldn't put him in the 'Legendary' category as he believes he deserves.  I didn't really follow his trials and tribulations after he left us, other than reading the odd news article re his time at Stoke.  It seems to me as if he pissed his life away and now demands to be compensated because of the poor decisions he made. Other players had sense, saved or invested their earnings while others like him and Best took the road to ruin.   

For those of us who do remember him...was he a 'Legend' in your mind?    

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/06/21/i-loathe-hypocrisy-and-that-is-chelsea-fc-the-story-of-alan-hudson-the-local-boy-who-now-supports-liverpool-and-insists-hell-never-forgive-the-blues/

Edited by CFCCAN

He was a decent player in his day. He certainly had the talent to be one of the best in the game but he always fell short of expectations. Tony Waddington, who managed Stoke back then, was pretty much the only manager who was able to get the best out of him. Waddington also rejuvenated the career of Geoff Hurst and he turned Jimmy Greenhoff from a journeyman forward into a very good striker.

I don't understand his antipathy towards Chelsea though I saw an article a few years ago in which he complained the club had cut off the privileges to which he felt entitled. If memory serves, he also fell out with Terry Neill at Arsenal during his time there.

Alan Hudson was one of the reasons I fell in love with Chelsea. 
We had the style, the long hair, the swagger. Many of the old boys would love to earn today’s money but I bet they had more of a laugh.

7 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

He was a decent player in his day. He certainly had the talent to be one of the best in the game but he always fell short of expectations. Tony Waddington, who managed Stoke back then, was pretty much the only manager who was able to get the best out of him. Waddington also rejuvenated the career of Geoff Hurst and he turned Jimmy Greenhoff from a journeyman forward into a very good striker.

I don't understand his antipathy towards Chelsea though I saw an article a few years ago in which he complained the club had cut off the privileges to which he felt entitled. If memory serves, he also fell out with Terry Neill at Arsenal during his time there.

Good player for us but about 10% as good as his own inflated opinion of himself.

The article claims his bad feelings towards Chelsea date from his accident in '97. Wrong. I remember him being on the BBC on cup final day in '94. I taped the build up as they were showing footage of our cup win in 1970 that they hadn't shown for years. He said then he was not a Chelsea fan and felt much more warmly about Stoke. 

9 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

There's always a new Alan Hudson article every two years

Usually calling him a 'Chelsea Legend'. Legend is a word bandied about so much these days that it really has lost any semblance of meaning. As @Backbitersays, he was a good player but not up there in the stratosphere as some would have you believe.

Surely his status as most local player is threatened by Jody Morris? From North End Road if I recall.

Someone's gonna have to steal one of those yard sticks with a wheel on the end from a school to settle this one.

Or just use google maps I suppose.

He didn't have a happy homecoming either did he? Fading memories time again, but we signed him back at the arse end of his career at the same time as John Hollins, along with John Neal's famous five in the summer of 83. While I can recall Hollins playing a role in that team, I've no recollection whatsoever of any contribution from Hudson, and if you miss two opportunities to become a legend at a club (as most of the 69-71 and 83-84 teams are) then perhaps you were never up to it in the first place.

Edited by MKBlue

2 hours ago, MKBlue said:

He didn't have a happy homecoming either did he? Fading memories time again, but we signed him back at the arse end of his career at the same time as John Hollins, along with John Neal's famous five in the summer of 83. While I can recall Hollins playing a role in that team, I've no recollection whatsoever of any contribution from Hudson, and if you miss two opportunities to become a legend at a club (as most of the 69-71 and 83-84 teams are) then perhaps you were never up to it in the first place.

No, he never got a kick under John Neal in 83-4. He did make his mark as a youngster in his first spell, no doubt about that, but his bitterness towards the club is just pathetic.

So with the responses from the 'legends' on this forum I think it's fair to say that he was an above average player and a legend in his own mind, but rarely in anyone else's, and certainly not the club who's turned into a bitter old man..

6 hours ago, Andy North said:

Makes me wonder who was driving the car that nearly killed him?

Boyhood hero. Hard to go against him now.

Maybe this answers your question.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/06/21/i-loathe-hypocrisy-and-that-is-chelsea-fc-the-story-of-alan-hudson-the-local-boy-who-now-supports-liverpool-and-insists-hell-never-forgive-the-blues/