Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) Sun 20th Sep 2020 16:30 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, Nibs said:

We were totally out classed today and deserved nothing from the game but we've all seen games like that before where a team is outclassed and battered but still nicks a point and even all 3. Even great teams panic when they concede and 2-1 with 10+ minutes to go, we could have nicked a result, but Jorginho's "mentally weak" penalty put paid to that.

Liverpool looked comfortable whole game, there is no way that they don't walk out with 3 points even if Jorginho scores the penalty. You're just zoning out Jorginho when it's very clear that Christensen lost us any chance of getting something from the game.

8 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I really like Mount...he seems like a great kid, has great energy, and always put in a good shift for the team.....BUT

Mount is not an attacking winger

Mount is not a creative midfield attacking genius

I understand Lamp has a love affair with Mount, but if you need to play Mount....keep him in CM/CDM mid. Sacrifice one of Kovacic, Jorgingo, or Kante if you have to play Mount. 

The sooner that Lampard drops Mount from winger and CAM, the better this team will play.

I 100% agree.   Hes not a number 10 or forward on a big club.  He never will be.   I'm saying that as someone who likes Mount.  I think he could have a big role as someone who comes in when we r leading and his workrate helps us kill off the game. 

27 minutes ago, Sindre said:

75 actually. But no shock, he's literally the best midfielder in the world.

Apparently he was offered to us but we declined. That was one stupid decision if we intended to compete for the title this season. With him we actually could have.

I am  flabbergasted if we did not take him o offer.

Edited by ZouMan

2 minutes ago, Brutos said:

This excuse about players being out don't wash with me, are you telling me Leeds team last week is better that the team we put our or is it the manager that's better? Which one is it?

You are relentless and making weird points .. how Leeds played against pool had no baring on this match..we had a game plan we wanted to execute and we’re doing well till AC had a brain fart.. 

3 minutes ago, Jangz said:

Gawd ppl criticising lamps for setting the team to defend first and use counter attacks have probably not been long here enough to remember the mourinho era against big sides.. we were very solid but AC lost his concentration close to half time.. very frustrating sh*tty luck but happens.

I thought Lampard was the progressive coach to take us foward?  Most people would have been happy if were brave like leeds were against Liverpool and lost, instead of that Cowardly performance

1 minute ago, The Don Antonio said:

I thought Lampard was the progressive coach to take us foward?  Most people would have been happy if were brave like leeds were against Liverpool and lost, instead of that Cowardly performance

Would they bollocks, its all well and good making stuff up like that but if we had set up to just attack and had gotten picked of and lost he would have been hammered for it and not setting up to contain them. 

Just now, The Don Antonio said:

That’s not true our defence and coaching staff got slaughtered after the 5-3 .. saying we don’t know how to defend ..this one we looked solid they hardly had a sniff before the red.. 

I thought we did ok first half up until Christensen tries a bear hug on Mane.

I noticed twice Kova go on his runs and actually lay the ball off well, Werner should have scored - 19th minute.

Kante in the first was everywhere and looked like he has finally shaken off the injuries.

Havertz with that excellent free kick and why was Alonso the only player going for it?

Werner is quick and had great movement yet was poor today when it came to shooting or playing someone else in.

Kepa was actually playing ok until that second goal.

Tammy had our best attempt on goal during his short cameo.

Allison the first keeper, I recall stopping a Jorgy penalty.

I think we will get better and just think of this as bad luck, a new keeper would be good as well as moving on Christensen to the bench. 

1 minute ago, Strider6003 said:

I noticed twice Kova go on his runs and actually lay the ball off well, Werner should have scored - 19th minute.

Kante in the first was everywhere and looked like he has finally shaken off the injuries.

Havertz with that excellent free kick and why was Alonso the only player going for it?

Werner is quick and had great movement yet was poor today when it came to shooting or playing someone else in.

I think we will get better and just think of this as bad luck, a new keeper would be good as well as moving on Christensen to the bench. 

Thanks for a balanced narrative one of the few.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Would they bollocks, its all well and good making stuff up like that but if we had set up to just attack and had gotten picked of and lost he would have been hammered for it and not setting up to contain them. 

No one is saying go gong ho but at least show an attempt to attack the opposition. So i guess we can expect this kind of performance against the top 6 sides since our aim now is to contain teams after spending 200 Million.

18 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I really like Mount...he seems like a great kid, has great energy, and always put in a good shift for the team.....BUT

Mount is not an attacking winger

Mount is not a creative midfield attacking genius

I understand Lamp has a love affair with Mount, but if you need to play Mount....keep him in CM/CDM mid. Sacrifice one of Kovacic, Jorgingo, or Kante if you have to play Mount. 

The sooner that Lampard drops Mount from winger and CAM, the better this team will play.

Here is the solution as long as we don't have Pulisic and Ziyech playing :

-----Kante------Kovacic-------Mount-------

---------------Havertz----------------------

------Giroud-----------Werner--------------

Play direct and target Giroud and Havertz.

1 hour ago, JM7 said:

Don’t mind Franks approach and you could see it almost paid off a couple of times. The game at anfield showed we can’t go toe to toe with them

With all due respect, I really dislike this mentality.

If you want to be champions, you have to have hearts of champions....and that's to truly believe you can go toe to toe with any one.

Leeds did that last week.

Even RB Salsburg, who's coached by an American, threw everything they had against Liverpool at Anfield and earned tremendous respect doing so. If you're going down, go down with a mighty fight.

1 minute ago, The Don Antonio said:

No one is saying go gong ho but at least show an attempt to attack the opposition. So i guess we can expect this kind of performance against the top 6 sides since our aim now is to contain teams after spending 200 Million.

Yeah, this one game with our 2 main wingers, our new centre back, our new left back against the best team in england means we will definitely always play like that.... f**ks sake this place is getting worse. 

1 minute ago, haviet1 said:

With all due respect, I really dislike this mentality.

If you want to be champions, you have to have hearts of champions....and that's to truly believe you can go toe to toe with any one.

Leeds did that last week.

Even RB Salsburg, who's coached by an American, threw everything they had against Liverpool at Anfield and earned tremendous respect doing so. If you're going down, go down with a mighty fight.

Lol this is naivety.. we may go toe to toe if we have the full squad and even then the big matches are about winning.. Wenger always wanted to go toe to toe... how many trophies did that get him post 2004? With our options we clearly HD an inferior team.. David didnt beat Goliath by going toe to toe..

conte never went toe to toe.. neither did Mourinho.. he tried to tactically outplay the opponent. 

8 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Thank goodness for some balanced perspective. Without the sending off the second half was set up for an intriguing 45 minutes. Last 10 mins or so of first half signs we were starting to look more imposing. We will get better.

49 minutes ago, Luca Vialli said:

I thought Timo was absolutely brilliant, He's going to be top top drawer for us.

Excellent from Tomori too, Should be a starter.

Timo is going to be an absolute monster once Pulisic is healthy and back on the pitch. Those two will combine to make lots of goals/assists.

Overall I think we gave Liverpool the 3 points.  A certain red but hey damned if he rugby tackled him, damned if he didn't, up until then Liverpool had one shot on goal, albeit about 80% possession which is the bit that surprised me most playing at home; I thought Frank would have gone out and attacked them a lot more keeping pressure on their defence but it was soon to be seen that he wanted to draw Liverpool up to the half way line and then try and hit them over the top...problem was we kept giving the ball away when we did get it and with Liverpools pressure our passing went nowhere except backwards.  A howler from Kepa...what else is new these days...a rather disappointing penalty may have given us some hope, but at the end of the day a strange performance all round including the managers team selection and tactics playing at home.  For the last two games Havertz has watched the game go by, I know he's a new signing but he'd better shape up over the next couple of games or he could find himself on the bench.   5/10 all round, including the manager.

17 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yeah, this one game with our 2 main wingers, our new centre back, our new left back against the best team in england means we will definitely always play like that.... f**ks sake this place is getting worse. 

Excuses , excuses excuses benefit only those who make them. We could easily have played a front 3 of werner Abraham and odoi if we wanted to have a go at them. Watford beat liverpool 3-0 last season when everyone thought they were invincible because Watford was brave and attacked them, and i am sure even with our 2 main Wingers and centre back missing our squad is still better than Watfords. I have no beef with lampard. I like his football but i have to call it out when i see my team playing like cowards.

45 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Liverpool looked comfortable whole game, there is no way that they don't walk out with 3 points even if Jorginho scores the penalty. You're just zoning out Jorginho when it's very clear that Christensen lost us any chance of getting something from the game.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

One things for sure, we won't compete with the top teams unless we sort out the three positions of - keeper, CB and change that midfield that was totally outclassed today.

2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

One things for sure, we won't compete with the top teams unless we sort out the three positions of - keeper, CB and change that midfield that was totally outclassed today.

I agree with everything but to the speculation that we could have had a chance to win or draw the game after the red card.

We clearly lack the structure and a clear game plan, it all comes down to us winging it by working hard and pressing and if something happens, it happens. Last game it happened, Jorginho intercepted the ball after a high press, it resulted in a penalty and later he passed to James who shot from a long distance and killed all the momentum that Brighton had... This game you can see that Werner is working hard, that Mount is working hard, that Kante is working hard but it's all just improvising and trying to make it work.