Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool Player Ratings

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Kepa - 4 - Like against Brighton, I would have given him a 6 or 7, but yet another mistake from him cost us a goal.

James - 6 - Solid defensively, but offered nothing going forward.

Christensen - 3 - Was having a decent game and then stupidly got himself sent off. His sending off changed the game and made it easy for Liverpool.

Zouma - 7 - Another good defensive performance from him.

Alonso - 6 - Did as well as he could have done against Salah and Alexander-Arnold.

Jorgino - 4 - Didn't really bring anything to the game and missed a penalty.

Kante - 7 - Best player on the pitch for us. Looking more and more like himself, I just hope he can stay fit.

Kovacic - 5 - Didn't do anything of note. Reminded me of the Kovacic under Sarri.

Havertz - 3 - Really poor again. Still a settling in period for him, but he needs to be stronger and get more involved in games. 

Mount - 5 - Couldn't get into the game much. Worked hard as usual, but there was little quality on show from him today.

Werner - 6 - Won a penalty, had a few chances to run at the Liverpool defence, but decision making from him wasn't great today.

Tomori - 6 - Defended well when he came on.

Barkley - 5 - Offered nothing of note.

Abraham - 5 - Got a decent shot on goal to force Allison to make a save.

Lampard - 3 - Not a good day for Lampard. From the start he set us up all wrong. The approach was way too negative, especially when we were the home side. Disjointed, no support in attack and a lack of urgency.

Kepa 3 Mistake after Mistake after Mistake, Willy should have started on the back of Kepa's mistake at Brighton

James 6 Steady if not Spectacular, kept Mane quiet first half, not so good second

Alonso 4 To be fair he was ok first half, but he switches off all too often and it cost us again today

Christensen 2 Fine for 44 minutes, not quite sure how he thought he was going to get away with that challenge and its ultimately cost us the game

Zouma 7 Our best defender, steady game

Kante 5 Tried hard but he gives possession away too much with careless loose passing

Jorginho 3 Another who gives possession away too cheaply, Far too slow on the ball, Get rid

Kovacic 5 Slippery on the ball, and always works hard,not his best game but he would be part of my midfield going forward

Mount 4 Huffed and Puffed with little end product, not in the game enough, he's either good or peripheral, needs to be more consistant

Havertz 5 Some nice touches, has'nt played in the position he needs in 2 games, we wont see his best until Ziyech and Captain America return

Werner 6 Never stopped making runs, i think when Ziyech is fit they will combine well, i like what ive seen in 2 games, will score 20 plus for sure

Tomori 6 Done well on his return, not quite sure why he's been out in the cold for so long given the way we defend

Kepa Arrizabalaga: 2 He knows his place is under pressure so you would think he would do everything possible to not make a schoolboy error. I thought he could only get better but apparently not.

Reece James: 6 Competent and has made the right back slot his at 20 years of age.

Andreas Christensen: 5 Was having one of his best games in ages up until THAT challenge. Plenty of defenders have struggled against Liverpool and plenty get red cards but like all our current CB's, he has too many mistakes in his game.

Kurt Zouma: 6 Defended well enough but his passing and ball control is some of the worst I have ever seen from a Chelsea CB. Painful to watch when attackers close him down.

Marcos Alonso: 5 Standard Alonso game. Did some okay things going forward but struggled defensively. Once Chillwell is fit he will be a bit-part player.

N'Golo Kanté: 8 Our MOTM by far and along with Werner, the only Chelsea player who gave Liverpool some issues.

Jorginho: 3 When he's bad he's a liability. Brought little to the game, and when we needed everyone to dig in second half, first thing he did was give the ball away cheaply on the edge of our box. Would have been better to sub him at half-time and let Werner take the penalties.

Mateo Kova?i?:  5 Standard Kovacic game. Did okay without ever really troubling Liverpool.

Kai Havertz: 3 Only two games but I would have expected to see SOMETHING to get excited about. Very underwhelmed so far and hope he gets up to speed sooner rather than later as right now I'm scratching my head at what all the fuss is about.

Timo Werner: 6 Can't fault his effort and di well to win the penalty but masterstroke by Klopp to play Fabinho at the back who played Werner very well.

Mason Mount: 4 Had one good shot and involved in a few attacks but not his day.

Fikayo Tomori: 7 Thought he did really well when he came on and would like to see him paired with Silva as our first choice CB's.

Ross Barkley: 5

Tammy Abraham: 6 Looked lively and one decent effort.

Frank Lampard: 5 Despite the injuries and new signings not being able to play, thought he was out-coached by Klopp today and hopefully learned a lot from this.

Liverpool: 8 Hate to say it, but they looked strong and were the much better team on the day. Hopefully we'll give them a better game at Anfield when we have better players available.

Shocked that so many people saw Kante as our best player today. His lack of vision was the reason we weren't a goal up in the first half.

Kepa Arrizabalaga: 4

Reece James: 6

Andreas Christensen: 4

Kurt Zouma: 7

Marcos Alonso: 6

N'Golo Kanté: 4 (his role today wasn't entirely defensive, he messed uo our attacking impetus too often)

Jorginho: 4

Mateo Kova?i?: 6

Kai Havertz: 6 (some excellent touches, could have done better)

Timo Werner: 7 (tried very hard and showed class, it will click for him)

Mason Mount: 5

Fikayo Tomori: 6

Tammy Abraham: 5

Frank Lampard: 6 (easily a 6 because we did pretty well in the first half)

Liverpool: 8

Kepa Arrizabalaga: 3  

Other than the moments (one of them match-defining) in which he was an utter clown he was solid. Pretty sure I saw him catch a cross once. Should never wear a Chelsea shirt again.

Reece James: 6

Already looks world weary at the ripe old age of 20. I'm not surprised. Would likely have benefitted from playing in a proper system with an actual plan of how to progress the ball into the opposition half.

Andreas Christensen: 2

Lost us the game. I mentioned sotta voce to my friend that Christensen was having a good game around 35 minutes in. Might have been my fault.

Kurt Zouma: 7

Still our best centre back (pending Silva). Is actually a far better passer of the ball than the vast majority of our fans give him credit for. One of only two people we had on the pitch capable of winning headers, which he did.

Marcos Alonso: 5

Wasn't particularly able to make his usual impact on the game considering we had zero presence in the opposition half. Would probably have fared far better had Giroud or Abraham started. The second of the two people we had on the pitch capable of winning headers, which he did.

Jorginho: 3

Cleaned up a rare Kanté mistake. Otherwise he put in his usual performance of underhitting short passes, hiding from the ball and pointing to the full-backs (while hiding from the ball). His one trick failed. Should have been taken off at half-time. It is to our detriment that Maurizio Sarri is no longer managing a club with money to piss away.

N'Golo Kanté: 7

It speaks to the humility of the man that he hasn't deserted us for a team more worthy of his world-class talents. Never snapped at Jorginho for being entirely ineffectual or at Danny Drinkwater for carrying a hip flask in his back pocket.

Mateo Kova?i?:  5

Progressed the ball once. Otherwise was inoffensive. Might be the all-time world record holder of 'worst attacking input to technical ability' ratio (my guess is that Michail Antonio or Shola Ameobi are at the other extreme).

Mason Mount: 6

Worked hard without at any point being given anything to work with. Was at the heart of the very few opportunities we created in the second half. Did his first-half job of getting in Robertson's way effectively.

Timo Werner: 6

Runs around a lot, "puts a shift in" and is quite clearly Caucasian so will likely be appreciated by English football fans. Coped well considering a lot of our game plan consisted of lumping increasingly erratic balls in front of him and hoping that the four world-class footballers in Liverpool's back line didn't notice. Will be a fantastic asset once we've figured out how to use him properly.

Kai Havertz: 5

Hopelessly misused, once again, despite quite obviously being a brilliant footballer. Probably wondering why he didn't sign for a club who have the slighest idea about how he should be played. Made a couple of gorgeous passes which might just imply that he should be playing deeper, and centrally. Even if he fills out a bit he appears unlikely to rival Carlo Cudicini for @Valerie's heart.

====SUBS====

Fikayo Tomori: 8

The first modern centre back we've had who actually has an idea of when it's sensible to step out of position to proactively win the ball off an opposition player. Presumably Frank is hoping that Ancelotti will coach that out of him. Quite clearly our best performer in the second half.

Brought on at least 20 minutes too late. Probably had a moment of brilliance which was made irrelevant by his own stupidity that I was too busy moaning to notice.

Tammy Abraham: 6

Brought on at least 20 minutes too late. Not helped by our inexplicable decision to start playing it out from the back as soon as he was introduced. Was involved in the two good things we did in the dying throes of the game.

====MANAGER====

Frank Lampard: 1

Got everything wrong throughout the entire match and was ultimately defeated by his own mistakes (all Klopp really did was bring on Thiago at half time while a man up which was obvious). Gets a point for bringing on Tomori. This game made it more obvious than perhaps ever before that he is a managerial neophyte. I love the man more than it is healthy to love somebody whom you have never actually met, but I sincerely hope that he actually has an idea of what to do when all the starters are fit. It's starting to smell a bit like Claudio...

Edited by PloKoon13

18 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Timo Werner: 6

Runs around a lot, "puts a shift in" and is quite clearly Caucasian so will likely be appreciated by English football fans. Coped well considering a lot of our game plan consisted of lumping increasingly erratic balls in front of him and hoping that the four world-class footballers in Liverpool's back line didn't notice. Will be a fantastic asset once we've figured out how to use him properly.

What a bizarre comment. I’m not sure what you are trying to imply there.

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

What a bizarre comment. I’m not sure what you are trying to imply there.

Quite clear I thought - I was making a cheap dig which implied that English football fans are stupid and don't necessarily base their opinions of a player on anything rational, or indeed, what they actually do on the pitch or contribute to a team.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

@PloKoon13 - Plokkers mate that could be one of the more eloquent yet incendiary player ratings yet seen on the Shed End. 

Of all the guys to trash Lamps as a manager I would have thought you'd be one of the last not the first! Can he redeem himself or has he been cast into the AVB column permanently?

I love Frank Lampard. If I ever have children I would guess that 'Frank' and 'Lampard' are two of the first three words they will ever hear out of my mouth. Today he was a problem. Today I saw a man who had no idea, and indeed, made no attempt to salvage a result against a fierce rival and [theoretically] our competition for trophies. The starting XI was wrong, the tweak he made in the first half was wrong, the changes we made after going down to 10 men didn't make any sense, and the subs which fixed that were introduced when it was too late to matter. But he did bring on Tomori...

Like I said, I love Super Frank. As someone who is guaranteed to have more or less eternal loyalty to the man, I'm probably in a good position to point out when he drops a clanger.

Edited by PloKoon13

2 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Quite clear I thought - I was making a cheap dig which implied that English football fans are stupid and don't necessarily base their opinions of a player on anything rational, or indeed, what they actually do on the pitch or contribute to a team.

I love Frank Lampard. If I ever have children I would guess that 'Frank' and 'Lampard' are two of the first three words they will ever hear out of my mouth. Today he was a problem. Today I saw a man who had no idea, and indeed, made no attempt to salvage a result against a fierce rival and [theoretically] our competition for trophies. The starting XI was wrong, the tweak he made in the first half was wrong, the changes we made after going down to 10 men didn't make any sense, and the subs which fixed that were introduced when it was too late to matter. But he did bring on Tomori...

Like I said, I love Super Frank. As someone who is guaranteed to have more or less eternal loyalty to the man, I'm probably in a good position to point out when he drops a clanger.

Yeah, I haven't been qutie impressed with him since earlier last year. He probably needs more time but his decision making leaves a lot to desire.

3 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I agree. I wasn't having a dig btw. More interested in whether you think he can fix it?

Edited by Spiller86

@Spiller86  No worries, I didn't take it as one. I honestly don't know. I thought it was a bit out-of-character to be honest - from what we saw last season Frank was generally decisive and very willing to make changes when the starting XI hadn't been set up correctly. Remember when he hooked Emerson after half an hour against Arsenal? It just seemed odd that while two goals down at home, he waited until the 80th minute to actually do anything about it when the setup we had on the pitch quite clearly wasn't going to get us back to parity.

@axman2526 Definitely not - if anyone deserves time to sort things out it's Frank (which makes me think he was actually quite a cynical appointment by the board - if he turned out to be useless the fans were going to be more patient than with someone like Scolari or Sarri or AVB to whom we had no previous loyalty). Plus once the new boys are all match-fit/injury-free/in the correct roles we'll hopefully be in a position where we don't have to consistently start players who are useless - that can only help.

Kepa - 3 - Stupid error early on that Christensen bailed him out on, then the horrendous error leading to the 2nd goal. One or two redeeming moments.

James - 5 - good first half, struggled against Mane in the second.

Christensen - 3 - did ok, but then lost us the game by being sent off.

Zouma - 7 - solid performance 

Alonso - 4 - offered little going forward and as usual conceded a goal from an attack down his flank.

Jorginho - 3 - loose passing and missed penalty

Kante - 6 - gave the ball away a lot, but put in a good shift and drove forward with the ball well.

Kovacic - 6 - some good moments on the counter, nothing outstanding 

Havertz - 6 - confused why he went off, thought he made some great passes and was influential in most of our attacks.

Mount - 5 - a lot of running around, but didn't really come to anything of note, apart from the one shot that went just over.

Werner - 7 - looked really threatening, just made a few poor decisions in the box

Tomori - 6 - solid performance for 45mins

Lampard - 4 - had no issue with the setup to start with. Felt Tomori should have come on for Jorginho, lost a lot of our attacking threat leaving Werner isolated in the second half.

Liverpool MOTM - Mane, was influential to everything positive for them. Run us ragged, would give him a 9.5.

Many thanks to all posters for their efforts

Results for Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool:

Kepa Arrizabalaga: 3.1

Reece James: 5.9

Andreas Christensen: 3.1

Kurt Zouma: 6.7 (Man of the Match)

Marcos Alonso: 5

N'Golo Kanté: 6.4

Jorginho: 3.4

Mateo Kova?i?: 5.3

Kai Havertz: 4.6

Timo Werner: 6.3

Mason Mount: 4.7

Fikayo Tomori: 6.4

Tammy Abraham: 5.5

Frank Lampard: 3.5

Liverpool: 8.5

Congratulations to Kurt Zouma for being named as the second Man of the Match of the season