Chelsea v Barnsley (LC) Wed 23rd Sep 2020 19:45 GMT

4 hours ago, Chelsea2k said:

spurs in 4th round if we advance will be interesting.

L. Orient v. Spurs is off now because of a Covid outbreak at Orient. From what I understand that almost certainly means Spurs will advance by forfeit, which is a shame for Orient. I was hoping we would get through and face Orient as it has been a long time since we played them. If we do get past Barnsley the 4th round is next week, unless the EFL reschedules the Orient v. Spurs game.

No disrespect to Barnsley (they did knock us out of FA Cup in 2008), but we should absolutely treat this as a pre-season game.  Build fitness and cohesion and avoid injuries.  The reason I'd treat it like this is this trophy is almost irrelevant this season.  Yes, chances to win trophies are slim, but eye on a bigger prize which is third in league and much later stages of CL.

4 hours ago, forbzy said:

L. Orient v. Spurs is off now because of a Covid outbreak at Orient. From what I understand that almost certainly means Spurs will advance by forfeit, which is a shame for Orient. I was hoping we would get through and face Orient as it has been a long time since we played them. If we do get past Barnsley the 4th round is next week, unless the EFL reschedules the Orient v. Spurs game.

Yup it is a shame.

Spurs have covered the costs of testing and gave some money to Orient so they don’t miss out on TV money. Fair.

Who is actually fit for this game? Very challenging 11 for Frank to pick. So many attacking midfielders and goalkeepers and centre backs and strikers and left backs. 

For me I think it'll be important for Werner and Havertz to play and get a goal to build confidence. I also want to see Callum and Rudiger play. Both are required in the squad this year.  I'd also like to see us experiment with Giroud as focal point and Werner and Havertz playing off him.

4-3-3: Willy, Dave, Rudiger, Tomori, Chilwell, Kante, Barkley/RLC, Havertz, CHO, Giroud, Werner. 

19 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Who is actually fit for this game? Very challenging 11 for Frank to pick. So many attacking midfielders and goalkeepers and centre backs and strikers and left backs. 

For me I think it'll be important for Werner and Havertz to play and get a goal to build confidence. I also want to see Callum and Rudiger play. Both are required in the squad this year.  I'd also like to see us experiment with Giroud as focal point and Werner and Havertz playing off him.

4-3-3: Willy, Dave, Rudiger, Tomori, Chilwell, Kante, Barkley/RLC, Havertz, CHO, Giroud, Werner. 

Havertz and Werner playing off Giroud. Yeah, that could be wonderful.

Excited to see whether Frank wants to use this game as an exercise for his first 11 regarding fitness and cohesion, or if he chooses to give the rest of the squad a chance.

I think me must choose the latter, we cant really go through any season - and especially one as demanding as this - with only 13-14 players really being given serious minutes. Any player not chosen for Brighton and Liverpool and who doesn't start tonight either - if fit - is clearly not seen as integral to the squad and could might as well look for a transfer/loan

I do get the temptation to want to give players like Havertz a (probable) positive experience after the defeat against Liverpool, though

Hoping for: 

Caballero - Azpi, Fik, Silva, Maatsen - Kovacic, Barkley, RLC - CHO, Havertz, Abraham

Chilwell, Giroud and Anjorin to come off the bench

7 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I think the new signings must start but the rest can be rotated. Something like this

Big Willy

Azpi Tomori Silva Emerson

RLC Jorginho Barkley

Havertz Werner CHO

Abraham may start ahead of Werner. Havertz MUST play though he clearly need game time.

Chilwell ahead of Emerson hopefully (assuming he is ready to start). If things go well maybe we can give a few younger players a run out later in the game e.g. Maatsen, Anjorin

the official twitter page for Chelsea has shown Caballero, Thiago, and Chilwell jerseys in the dressing room.  Not that they'll all start, but good to see.  Also saw another article where Lampard has said that CHO needs to take his opportunity versus Barnsley.  Again, doesn't mean he starts, but will feature (personally, I hope he starts)