Chelsea v Barnsley (LC) Wed 23rd Sep 2020 19:45 GMT

Good win some great performances especially Liking the Tammy and Havertz link up. Would be a shame to drop Tammy after that performance surely has to play apart of West Brom game and Havertz simply has to keep playing centrally.

Blindingly obvious we need a holding midfielder to sit in front of the defence though we give away far too many chances and against better opposition we would have been punished.

Onto the next one Utc.

1 minute ago, charierre said:

Willy got his shot stopping in place not sure Kepa would have saved all of them

I predict it would of been 6-4 if Kepa had been in goal. I despise it when being keep singling out players, everyone can make mistakes but Kepa is one person I can not help but critique. Away from the negativity we witnessed a lot of real chemistry between our midfielders and attackers today 

"Havertz with the hatrick has MOTM though apart from his finishing did not stand out too much, good at spreading the play wide."

Most comical take of the day, apart from his finishing? What about the runs to get in position to score? What about 2 balls on platter for CHO and Mount to finish, if they finished like Havertz? What about winning the ball and poking it to Ross Barkley for his goal? He's also silky in the passing game.

30 minutes ago, charierre said:

Enjoyable match

Despite the emphatic scoreline we made a few mistakes and if some of the early chances had gone in who knows if we would have enjoyed it as much

CHO looked better on the left , conversely Emerson looked better at right wing

The only thing with CHO and Emerson was we were 5-0 up guess it is easier then and more difficult to judge how they would play against Premier teams.

I agree Barnsley created a number of chances against us too which could have been uncomfortable on another day.

Tammy and Havertz great combo. Tammy didn’t look out of place one bit. Strong shout out to start. Barkley up to and including goal was excellent, close to man of the match. Less good after the goal. Willy solid and more confident than kepa. Cho still waiting to click. 

You can see the rust on a number of players. It’s clear that some more settling in is required.  Equally some of the -play/linking one touch was fantastic and in another month this will be quite the team. 

Edited by ozboy
2 hours ago, Stim said:

Isn't that still a red though. you need 2 players covering. Else last man would never be a thing because the goalkeeper is always there covering.

this is it.... if anything this was more a red than the one we got......in our red card there was a goalie as the last man.....in this scenario it was  a defender....it was less of a last man than we faced assuming you'd rather have a goalie stopping a shot than a CB who cant use his arms/hands.......

Logically this rule is rubbish...it implies the attacker is worse done by if you only have a CB between him and the open goal, as opposed to a prepared goalie blocking the goal.

Edited by Barry Bridges

18 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

"Havertz with the hatrick has MOTM though apart from his finishing did not stand out too much, good at spreading the play wide."

Most comical take of the day, apart from his finishing? What about the runs to get in position to score? What about 2 balls on platter for CHO and Mount to finish, if they finished like Havertz? What about winning the ball and poking it to Ross Barkley for his goal? He's also silky in the passing game.

I thought he struggled in the middle of the park, worked hard yet seemed too slow on the ball at times.

Finishing was superb.

It was Barkley our squad player that looked good in the middle. 

1 hour ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

Seems some are looking for any chance to call him out... the kid (he's still a kid) hardly puts a foot wrong and when he does he usually makes up for it by continuously working his gd butt off

Forget about his hard work and the 100% commitment he brings every time, he is also an incredibly gifted footballer who has a bit of everything. An eye for goal, excellent dribbling skills, vision, shooting, technique and passing range. I can only say that I'm really glad he is ours.

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Is he fit yet?

Nearly is yeah. I’m talking about our starting XI in the weeks to come. One of Tammy or Pulisic will have to be dropped if Werner plays. I can’t see a way around it personally. 

Just now, rtwelch said:

Nearly is yeah. I’m talking about our starting XI in the weeks to come. One of Tammy or Pulisic will have to be dropped if Werner plays. I can’t see a way around it personally. 

Ease him in and then probably someone else gets injured......

Because of the late start it is full on this season I expect some injuries.

1/2 dozen times their onion bag bulged

a clean sheet with a busy Chelsea goalkeeper to boot

yes but it was only Barnsley (FA Cup 0-1)

great performance although one could counter they had too many opportunities in our box, but we need to celebrate I reckon, Kai hat trick, good fitness improvement for key players, happy warm glowing feeling at full time. 1st team is slowly picking itself for weekend

lets have the spuds and monkey face next !

2 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

What about the goalkeeper not getting sent off when we were only two up? Or am I biased in thinking that's a stonewall red. The commentator didn't seem to say anything about it should be being a red card. I see what you mean about embarrassed...there was an odd look on his face I couldn't quite put my finger on it but embarrassed fits perfectly

That was a straight red and even more violent than Christenson’s red. 

1 hour ago, rtwelch said:

Could easily be pulisic tammy werner. Ziyech could be the the one to miss out. Those three are all goal scorers + Havertz. All of a sudden we are full of people who take chances, rather than just setting them up. We miss out on Ziyech's crossing but get wonderful pace, dribbling and interplay. With Havertz behind them it could be a lot of fun. Not saying Ziyech wouldn't work as well, just different, not necessarily any better or worse.

Edited by ozboy
3 hours ago, cRyptic said:

Havertz as #10 a breath of fresh air, MOTM for sure. Once Ziyech and Pulisic are back there is no doubt in my mind that that's where he'll be playing, rotating with Mason.

Great point.  For me it was enjoyable to watch a second Chelsea player make advanced runs into the box so frequently.  Far too often under late Conte, Sarri, and to an extent last season we often had only one person in the box and everyone outside - Willian particularly guilty of not getting in those positions.  Same almost applies to Pulisic with the amount of goals he netted in the 6 yard box last season.

6 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I thought he struggled in the middle of the park, worked hard yet seemed too slow on the ball at times.

Finishing was superb.

It was Barkley our squad player that looked good in the middle. 

It is not about the looks is it. We have a bunch of players that look like they have a great game but fail to do what is really important. That was last season wrapped up. Now we have guys that actually hit the net and make the assist... Barnsley is not the yardstick for us but I liked a lot of things we did. 

Ha - I'd forgotten about Abraham's first-time pass over the top for Havertz's third. Class!

Was encouraging to see Abraham make it look like men against boys when up against a Championship defence - he has certainly progressed since the beginning of last season. Has surely earned a start against West Brom.

11 hours ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

Seems some are looking for any chance to call him out... the kid (he's still a kid) hardly puts a foot wrong and when he does he usually makes up for it by continuously working his gd butt off

Where is the same energy for CHO then who's younger than Mount?

CHO makes a mistake and he's treated like a criminal, yet Mount apparently can have stinkers and its fine because he's a kid? The hypocrisy is insane