Spurs v Chelsea (LC) Tues 29th Sep 19:45 GMT

Ugh. Nothing worse than losing to that lot even of it is in the League Cup.

This is stating the obvious but we blew two huuuge chances to kill the game at 1-0 and this is what happens when you do that.

Callum had a great game apart from that one moment, but that one moment is what people will remember. Same for Mount who was well held by Spurs and made two mistakes. The heros on Saturday became the villains tonight. But that is of course young footballers who need to learn. 

It was a turgid game to watch I have to say, Spurs negated us well and we then passed it around the middle third without looking like doing much. More work to do for the players and for Frank who is going to have to answer some questions about his substitutions tonight. Notably the decision to leave on two strikers at 1-0 up with 15 to go and Spurs pushing.

12 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

They signed because Chelsea is a huge club who play in a desirible league and pay very good wages. I don't think romantocising it takes away from those things. Players know managers these days have a very short shelf life. 

How dare you. Don't you realize the moment Frank's sacked all those players will hand in transfer requests.

I mean, really, I know that's what players usually say when they're signing for a new club but the fact that we're a top side located in London, with a recent winning history, a quality squad, a club that can offer a player huge wages on top of a big fee, all those things are much more important for a footballer than whatever 'project' he's been offered by the manager. I'm sure it helps when a manager calls and tells a player how much he rates him and how vital he's going to be to his system but that's more of a bonus, a bit of a personal touch.

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

That’s a fair point Munksy, it just kind of riled me up how a lot of people are calling for Frankd head 3 games into the season. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

You know, if we’re still having problems by Christmas like you said, then yeah I’d start to worry about it. But not 3 games into the season with so many players out or not fully fit

It’s the World Wide Web (internet superhighway) generation - I want it all and I want it now.

Can we not order 3 points off Amazon? I’ve got Prime they’ll be here in a hour on a flying robot!

22 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It wasn't really about Spurs stepping up, they've always had good pace. Our players got tired, we've had a tiny pre-season and it's to be expected. Numerous factors at play, but I agree Kovacic needed taking off, he looked exhausted and was playing poorly in the 2nd half. 

Jorginho however had a solid game besides that one incident where he let Bergwign or however you spell his name fly past him, but he's also a good player. I have no issues with the midfield in the first half, we had more chances in the 2nd because the game became wide open and Spurs were darting forward from the momentum they had in the 2nd. 

Wasn't it Spurs' third game in five days? As for preseason, all teams have the same problems, not just us. 

Stick with Frank  iam happy with ,but what winds me up is why Frank keeps  kepa within arms length all the time ,i just dont Get it at all . Somebody said in the lpool match thread tha maybe Frank is getting pressure from upstairs to keep kepa in the fold ??? 

it just dont sit right with me that kepa is infront of Willy all the time and Even on bench time aswell ffs Frank give your head a good wobble 

1 minute ago, BadBlue said:

Serious question: what football are we playing under Frank Lampard? What is our unique style of play ? What are we trying to implement  but we didn't quite get there?

Can anyone here honestly say they have seen progress in the last 15 months? Because i see nothing but an atrocious, chaotic type of football, which hasn't changed  since he took over.

By comparison, if you look at Arsenal, Everton, Leicester, you can see what the managers want to implement there.

I wish I could say the same for us

Totally agree. I am tired of excuses that some wunderwaffe players are injured, otherwise we would rip everyone to pieces.  We can not even do basic stuff such as accurate passing and ball anticipation. We always react, miscommunicate and misunderstand. I am under impression that we actually do not train, just get together 30 minutes before the game.

14 minutes ago, HoustonChelsea said:

Sacking Frank would be a disaster, so let's stop the chat on that. Liverpool gave Klop time and look at them now. 

Agreed I love to see Frank turn this around. Liverpool aren't really a "sack the manager" club. Sadly Chelsea and Roman are and its worked in our favour over the last decade or so. 

5 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

That’s a fair point Munksy, it just kind of riled me up how a lot of people are calling for Frankd head 3 games into the season. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

You know, if we’re still having problems by Christmas like you said, then yeah I’d start to worry about it. But not 3 games into the season with so many players out or not fully fit

If you can’t avoid getting certain diseases the next best thing is treating them early, not waiting until you’re nearly dead.

1 minute ago, ddrblue said:

Stick with Frank  iam happy with ,but what winds me up is why Frank keeps  kepa within arms length all the time ,i just dont Get it at all . Somebody said in the lpool match thread tha maybe Frank is getting pressure from upstairs to keep kepa in the fold ??? 

it just dont sit right with me that kepa is infront of Willy all the time and Even on bench time aswell ffs Frank give your head a good wobble 

I’d agree with that as well; I think Frank is being told he needs to keep Kepa involved considering the amount of money splashed out on him.

Ugh

losing to Jose and Spurs always stings, and I'm not going to say "oh it's just the League up!" I get that, but this team needs cohesion and you get that in competitive games, and Frank needs silverware.

I think for all the attacking potential we have there are still huge gaps in the middle and in the back.  Mendy for certain is going to help, in fact I was hoping he'd achieve instant cult status by saving Kane's pen, alas!

A lot of tonight, has to go on Franks shoulders.  I think everyone saw how innefective Giroud was, and I think we also are starting to see that Timo (despite the goal) isn't what's needed out wide.  I was actually find with Kante coming in, but I think James should have came in at RB and switch dave to LB.  The space Emerson aloud Lamela was criminal.  ANd then up front I'd have brought Giroud off, and gone with Kai in the middle.  Mount looked spent.

Good start for Chilwell, and Mendy, but those were about the only positives.

16 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Can't believe we were lucky enough to experience a classic, once-in-a-decade moment like a player leaving the pitch to take a sh*t, and it being completely ruined.

Jose almost certainly went off after him to tell him he should have shat himself and stayed at his post.

17 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

He got a free pass last season but when people see the same problems game after game with no end in sight then they’re going to question whether a more experienced manager could do better.

Unfortunately a lot of Chelsea fans are used to winning games, have become spoilt and want the good times to continue. 

I’m personally still happy for Lampard to keep at it btw because he’s not had the luxury of having a fully fit squad and we’re basically still in pre-season when we’re naturally rubbish.

If there’s no signs of improvement by Christmas though it’s something I’d start to question. 

Spot on. We played as well as Jose let us tonight. He set them up very solidly in the middle of the park and let us pass around them in the dreaded U shape. I saw more variety and movement in the build up using Kovacic and Jorginho tonight but Spurs were very disciplined.  

We weren't willing to risk going long to play off Giroud for some reason which meant we had a lot of the ball but posed little threat. It was very risk averse football.

Now you can blame Frank for that and say Frank out etc. But I think we're really yet to see our full side. If this is still happening at Christmas you'd start to ask questions. But 5 games into a season when we haven't even had our full team on the park and we just lost on penalties in the League Cup probably isn't the time to be losing ones head.

Edited by Spiller86

Frank got it wrong today after we started to lose out control  in the midfield they were bypassing our press, Giroud should have come off for kante and Timo through the middle. 

He waited too long to affect the game and it cost us, bringing in Emerson was also a poor choice. 

Our back line should be 

Mendi 

Azpi     Zouma   Silva    Chilwell 

And just leave it alone, it changes so much it’s unreal. 

Mix of speed and experience and 4 of them speak french, just put them up and stop tinkering, surely he can see the unsettled line is not good. 

People calling for his head, he got Top 4 and a final with youth players and we are 3 games in relax, he may well not be ready yet for a job this big but let’s at least establish that before whinging 

Edited by SFL82
1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

Jose almost certainly went off after him to tell him he should have shat himself and stayed at his post.

Spot on. We played as well as Jose let us tonight. He set them up very solidly in the middle of the park and let us pass around them in the dreaded U shape. I saw more variety and movement in the build up using Kovacic and Jorginho tonight but Spurs were very disciplined.  

We weren't willing to risk going long to play off Giroud for some reason which meant we had a lot of the ball but posed little threat.

Now you can blame Frank for that and say Frank out etc. But I think we're really yet to see our full side. If this is still happening at Christmas you'd start to ask questions. But 5 games into a season when we haven't even had our full team on the park and we just lost on penalties in the League Cup probably isn't the time to be losing ones head.

For all the arguments about a full team though, we were still, on paper, stronger than both West Brom on Saturday and Spurs tonight - and on both occasions we’ve been found out. Unfortunately these are not aberrations either.

1 minute ago, SFL82 said:

Frank got it wrong today after we started to lose out co trip in the midfield they were bypassing our press, Giroud shouid have come off for kante and Timo through the middle. 

He waited too long to affect the game and it cost us, bringing in Emerson was also a poor choice. 

Our back line should be 

Mendi 

Azpi     Zouma   Silva    Chilwell 

And just leave it alone, it changes so much it’s unreal. 

Mix of speed and experience and 4 of them speak french, just put them up and stop tinkering, surely he can see the unsettled line is not good. 

In his defence I presume Chilwell isn’t ready for 90 minutes and three games in a week may be too much for Silva. But otherwise I agree - though dare I say I don’t think defence was our issue tonight, Emerson switching off aside.

Disappointing saw about 25 mins and saw a couple of good chances we did not put away just like at WBA.

Felt like JM complaining about fixture congestion sucked us in a bit, his side was combative and we did not get that second goal and on comes King Kane.

Chilwell looked competent so why with just one goal up bring him off?

Mendy looks good though perhaps not for penalties.

Looked like Giroud did not get good supply, I thought with Chilwell on he would get decent crosses and convert.

Kante coming on later was interesting as he kept us up in their half yet nothing came of it. 

Felt Havertz would have done well from Giroud's knock downs as he reads the game well though not sure what changes would have been needed to bring him on perhaps for Mount.

Not sure about their goal as only saw the cross with Emerson running back yet it drops to Lamela.

Frank you got it wrong tonight, IMO.

Edited by Strider6003

Blimey I’m a bit cheesed off losing to that shower 🚿 of 💩 with the lackluster performance & pens after being in front. but sack a manager after 5 games 2W 2L 1D ? Get a grip and cast your mind back to last season vs this lot in the prem did you enjoy celebrating at the end of both games home & away watching the manager on TV doing the same ?

if Yes you’re a hypocrite today 

if No you’re a liar today 

which is it then plastic people ? 

3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

We weren't willing to risk going long to play off Giroud for some reason which meant we had a lot of the ball but posed little threat. It was very risk averse football.

If you’re playing Giroud you need to

a) Get the ball in to him

b) Have players near him to work off him

Like how we used to smash balls in to Drogba with the likes of Robben, Cole and Duff flying past him. 

If you don’t play to the strengths of the guys on the pitch what’s the point? I’ll happily put that on the manager. 

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

For all the arguments about a full team though, we were still, on paper, stronger than both West Brom on Saturday and Spurs tonight - and on both occasions we’ve been found out. Unfortunately these are not aberrations either.

Games aren't played on paper or on tactics boards. They are played in real time with fallible people making decisions and mistakes. We weren't found out at all. At worst we split a very turgid game and wasted two huge 2v1 chances to win it. Should we have played better? Yes. Did Frank make mistakes? Yes. But lets all have some calm and perspective. 

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

If you’re playing Giroud you need to

a) Get the ball in to him

b) Have players near him to work off him

Like how we used to smash balls in to Drogba with the likes of Robben, Cole and Duff flying past him. 

If you don’t play to the strengths of the guys on the pitch what’s the point? I’ll happily put that on the manager. 

Of course. Not much point in having a target man if you don't want to use him. Or a guy who plays in behind if you won't pass it over the top (well apart from the two times Jorginho bizarrely passed over the top for Giroud to chase) Interestingly I think that is the first time we had more possessiom against Spurs in the 3 Lampard v Mourinho duels. 

Again these are lessons to be learned and there is a difference between fair criticism and calling for him to be binned. I'd hate to see what peoples reactions are when they make mistakes or things go wrong in their own lives with some of the hyperventilating going on over a football match. God save us. 

For me I think the huge amount of signings has ratcheted up expectations among the plastics to an unreasonable level. A few signings and we were going to walk the league? Those signings were needed to get us back to being competitive. As you say lets see where are at Christmas.