Jump to content

Lampard's Plan A  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. What should be Lampard's Default formation?

    • 4-3-3
      13
    • 4-2-3-1
      15
    • 4-4-2
      0
    • 4-2-4
      0
    • 3-4-3
      0
    • 3-5-2
      0
    • Other...
      3


Recommended Posts

I have stated in some of my earlier posts that the difficulty Lampard is having currently is that he doesn't really have a default setup or a "Plan A" which gives him and his team an identity in terms of the way that we play. However he is very good at reacting and changing things during a game, as a result it means he does have a Plan B & C up his sleeve but still lacks a consistent identity to his football with us in terms of a stable starting 11 and a settled formation. The poll is to query what is the preferred formation that people would like to see on a weekly basis and considering everyone is fit who would feature in the starting 11.

Personally I think we look a lot more solid in a 4-3-3 formation and would have the following 11 as the preferred starting lineup:

                    Mendy

James- Zouma- Silva- Chilwell

       Kai - Kante- Mount

     Ziyech- Werner- Pulisic

Link to post
Share on other sites

                  Mendy

Azpi - Zouma  - Silva  - Chilwell

    Jorgi / Kante  -   Kova / Kante

   Ziyech   -  Havertz  -    Pulisic

                    Werner  

Was thinking this lineup as soon as our transfer target were announced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the players we have, 4-2-3-1 is the most likely. With Havertz in the 10 role, Pulisic and Ziyech on the flanks and then he will probably want to bring in a more defensive midfielder like Rice to sit alongside someone like Kante or Kovacic who like to go hunting for the ball, as otherwise if leaves us somewhat exposed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lampard wants to play a 4-3-3 by default.

                Mendy

James   Zouma T.Silva Chilwell

                  Kovacic
         Havertz       Mount

Ziyech        Werner      Pulisic

 

Maybe this is why he wants to bring Rice, he doesn't trust Kovacic enough which is strange because Kovacic was our POTY last season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I have stated in some of my earlier posts that the difficulty Lampard is having currently is that he doesn't really have a default setup or a "Plan A" which gives him and his team an identity in terms of the way that we play. However he is very good at reacting and changing things during a game, as a result it means he does have a Plan B & C up his sleeve but still lacks a consistent identity to his football with us in terms of a stable starting 11 and a settled formation. The poll is to query what is the preferred formation that people would like to see on a weekly basis and considering everyone is fit who would feature in the starting 11.

Personally I think we look a lot more solid in a 4-3-3 formation and would have the following 11 as the preferred starting lineup:

                    Mendy

James- Zouma- Silva- Chilwell

       Kai - Kante- Mount

     Ziyech- Werner- Pulisic

Exactly my starting eleven too, but for the tougher games, with less possession id go with Kovacic for Mount.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I think Lampard wants to play a 4-3-3 by default.

                Mendy

James   Zouma T.Silva Chilwell

                  Kovacic
         Havertz       Mount

Ziyech        Werner      Pulisic

 

Maybe this is why he wants to bring Rice, he doesn't trust Kovacic enough which is strange because Kovacic was our POTY last season.

I would actually really like to see how this would work. I'm not convinced by Rice in all honesty, but I would be up for seeing how it goes. I just really want us to get a settled team at this point, I'm tired of the constant chopping and changing of the defence and midfield.

Edited by Scott Harris
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droopy said:

Other.  I don't see Mason Mount's guaranteed place in any of the formations. 

 

This ^^^ 

It will be very difficult to see Mount in the starting 11 every game when everyone is healthy, unless Lampard forces the issue and deploy formations to specifically accommodate Mount.

Plan A1: 4-2-3-1

---------------Werner-------------

Pulisic----Havertz----_Ziyech

-------CM-----CM-----

Chilwell---Zouma---Silva-----Azpi

 

Plan A2: 4-3-3

Pulisic------Werner-----Ziyech

CM----Havertz---CM

Chillwell---Zouma---Silva---Azpi

 

Chelsea has a long list of midfielders: Mount, Kante, Kovacic, Jorgi, Gilmour, RLC, Barkley. I see Barkley and RLC as backup options for CAM role behind Havertz.

So Mount will have to fight with 4 other CM to start in one of the 2 CM positions in those formations. 

Mount is not a wide forward, winger, or CAM. He wasted in those positions, unless injuries depleted the entire squad.

Silva - He's the starting CB, his experience and leadership will add some stability to that backline; once he settled in. Tomori has been impressive and can start some games to give Silva some rest. 

Azpi - The Captain is still the #1 RB option in my view. James is promising, but he's just not ready for EPL starting RB every game. He can share some starts with Azpi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

                     Mendy 

James   Zouma  Silva  Chilwell

                      Rice

    Mount     
                      Havertz

Ziyech       Werner     Pulisic

I think this is what FL wants to play and he wants Rice to sit and cover Mount & Havertz. This would be a great XI to play when we expect to dominate the ball and when not, swap Mount with Kanté.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the 3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 or the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2. Press a lot and counter like RB Leipzig does. Werner probably has the blueprints for that system and I think it fits our personnel fine.

3-4-2-1

Mendy

Azpilicueta - Zouma/Silva - Tomori/Zouma

Reece - Kante - Kovacic/Ziyech - Chilwell

Ziyech/Pulisic - Havertz

Werner

3-4-1-2 (might be more difficult to fit in Pulisic here)

Mendy

Azpilicueta - Zouma/Silva - Tomori/Zouma

Reece - Kante - Kovacic/Ziyech - Chilwell

Havertz

Werner - Abraham/Giroud

4-4-2/4-2-2-2

Mendy

Reece - Zouma - Silva - Chilwell

Kante - Mount

Ziyech/Pulisic --------------- Havertz/Pulisic

Werner - Abraham/Giroud/Havertz

 

I can see the 4-3-3 working as well but Werner seems like he operates best with another striker. Not impressed with the 4-2-3-1 right now.

 

 

 

Edited by PraetorianGuard
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PraetorianGuard said:

I'd say the 3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 or the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2. Press a lot and counter like RB Leipzig does. Werner probably has the blueprints for that system and I think it fits our personnel fine.

3-4-2-1

Mendy

Azpilicueta - Zouma/Silva - Tomori/Zouma

Reece - Kante - Kovacic/Ziyech - Chilwell

Ziyech/Pulisic - Havertz

Werner

3-4-1-2 (might be more difficult to fit in Pulisic here)

Mendy

Azpilicueta - Zouma/Silva - Tomori/Zouma

Reece - Kante - Kovacic/Ziyech - Chilwell

Havertz

Werner - Abraham/Giroud

4-4-2/4-2-2-2

Mendy

Reece - Zouma - Silva - Chilwell

Kante - Mount

Ziyech/Pulisic --------------- Havertz/Pulisic

Werner - Abraham/Giroud/Havertz

 

I can see the 4-3-3 working as well but Werner seems like he operates best with another striker. Not impressed with the 4-2-3-1 right now.

 

 

 

We can't play 4222 nowadays because a majority of the teams in PL and CL plays with 3 in the middle.

Unless you play a low block and long ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not disagree more about Lampard’s game management. His changes during games are very odd and often dismantle any flow and momentum we have. 
 

That change against West Brom had the world absolutely baffled when Giroud went on for Thiago Silva. We were a goal behind and battering them for all angles.  Changing shape was mental, absolutely mental. We then lost all momentum and instead of continuing to dominate, we looked lost and fell apart and got a lucky break in injury time. 
 

For all Frank’s positives, his in game management and ability to organise a defence are extremely lacking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon a 4-3-3 is what Lamps wants to play, but to do that he needs a better dedicated DM in the squad, which he sees as Rice.

Whatever we go with, it is important to field players in their natural and best positions ... square pegs for square holes.

Our first choice for games when we are looking to dominate is probably something like this :

image.png.a872e68d958dd4da2263807f14649c8c.png

 

For games where we might have less of the ball, there is a strong case to play Azpi instead of James, and Kante instead of probably Havertz.

I've put Musonda in as 4th winger.  Club seem to have faith in him despite a series of disappointing loans, some due to injury.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

I reckon a 4-3-3 is what Lamps wants to play, but to do that he needs a better dedicated DM in the squad, which he sees as Rice.

Whatever we go with, it is important to field players in their natural and best positions ... square pegs for square holes.

Our first choice for games when we are looking to dominate is probably something like this :

image.png.a872e68d958dd4da2263807f14649c8c.png

 

For games where we might have less of the ball, there is a strong case to play Azpi instead of James, and Kante instead of probably Havertz.

I've put Musonda in as 4th winger.  Club seem to have faith in him despite a series of disappointing loans, some due to injury.

 

If we are unsuccessful in landing Rice I wouldn't mind Lampard going with Christensen in that DM role to sit in front of that defense, he has played that role for Denmark on a few occasions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

I reckon a 4-3-3 is what Lamps wants to play, but to do that he needs a better dedicated DM in the squad, which he sees as Rice.

Whatever we go with, it is important to field players in their natural and best positions ... square pegs for square holes.

Our first choice for games when we are looking to dominate is probably something like this :

image.png.a872e68d958dd4da2263807f14649c8c.png

 

For games where we might have less of the ball, there is a strong case to play Azpi instead of James, and Kante instead of probably Havertz.

I've put Musonda in as 4th winger.  Club seem to have faith in him despite a series of disappointing loans, some due to injury.

Interesting on Musonda as when I looked at him previously he did look talented though gather he might have some issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imran_CFC said:

If we are unsuccessful in landing Rice I wouldn't mind Lampard going with Christensen in that DM role to sit in front of that defense, he has played that role for Denmark on a few occasions.

Or maybe Reece James is another option, and perhaps a better one then Christensen ?

Or Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Gilmour ... 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Interesting on Musonda as when I looked at him previously he did look talented though gather he might have some issues.

Yes, I recall he had a goal and an assist in a handful of minutes on the pitch when Conte was here in 2017/18 season ... definitely had promise, albeit very lightweight, and his loan in the SPL was a complete disaster. I'm really including him as a squad filler as he is a winger and we are short one winger ... on reflection Victor Moses is probably a far better choice. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone, somewhere mentioned playing Christensen as a DM, thought on it and bizarrely think that would work with Mount.

So we could go:

                              Mendy

James             Zouma         Silva          Chilwell

                   Christensen

                                 Mount

Ziyech            Havertz               Pulisic

                        Werner 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at that Kante cameo against Slurs and its clear just how wasted he is if played as a DM. 

I think we have never really replaced Matic in all honesty, we dont have that player that can shield the back 4, and let Kante press and win the ball back. The closest we have is Jorginho, but he lacks the athleticism to cover the full back areas aswell. 

I would stick with the 433. 

Mendy

Azpilicueta Silva Zouma Chilwell

Havertz Jorginho Kante 

Ziyech Werner Pulisic

Big fan of Kovacic, he and Kante are too similar in terms of positioning, and being attracted to the ball. Jorginho is the only DM we have, ideally we would bring in someone else, but i think Jorginho and Kante is a combination that works okay as we saw under sarri. 

Azpilicueta starts ahead of James still for me, at least until we can get a settled run together. 

Then maybe in games we are expected to win, Mount comes in for Kante, to add another threat going forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, Kante is no DM and he worked well when we had Matic in the team. We have never replaced the DM position since Matic left. Jorginho was brought to play in the same area but not as a DM as the tactics were completely different and we would rely on possession rather than defending attacks with a DM to cover the defence. That's why Jorginho is not good at covering the back four, he is here to direct the play from the back, not to defend. And here is where we have the problem, we have a collection of very good midfielders but none can play together. If we are not playing Sarriball, Jorginho provides the capacity of playing from the back but gives no cover to the defence. Neither Kante nor Kovacic are DM, which would be required in a midfield of 2 or 3, and Havertz and Mount are AM. That's where I think Rice comes into the plans, but then we leave out Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho (for me Mount and Havertz have to play, maybe not every single match, but regularly).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...