Chelsea v Southampton (PL) Sat 17th Oct 2020 15:00 GMT

18 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Who do the " Frank's not up to it " brigade fancy as a manager then ?.....After 5 games ?

I don't think anyone is in the Frank's not up to it brigade after 5 games though. There remains no pattern or style of play and we are over a full season in now. We are incapable of defending and we have not improved since the 4-0 shoe-ing Man Utd gave us in his first game.

We are all massive Frank fans and are desperate for him to succeed. But it seems to be becoming more and more of a reality that both Frank and Jody do not seem to be equipped with the tools to set teams up and compete at both ends of the pitch.

Yes individual errors have to be down to the players but surely a better structure, shape and defined roles allow others to clear individual errors when they occur.  I agree that the players are the ones on the pitch but many are Starting to feel that we cannot keep spending hundreds of millions of pounds on top quality international players that are then rubbish when playing for us. It cannot all be down to the players all the time, surely.

Edited by WhiteWall

19 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

I know what you mean, but sometimes we play football better than anyone else . But daft mistakes aside, which Frank can't be blamed for, and only 5 games in,no need for panic.

come on Chelsea !

When Frank keeps on picking kepa to which in many of kepas starts its come back to bite Frank and CFC in the backside the book does stop with Frank > ffs Frank wake up and smell the coffee play Willy as 2nd choice keeper and fcuk kepa off 

12 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Who do the " Frank's not up to it " brigade fancy as a manager then ?.....After 5 games ?

There's a lot of managers in recent history that we should not have sacked...but of the more recent I'd bring back Conte. I liked his passion and no nonsense approach.

9 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

I just feel it's a little like, you have your good mate over on a regular basis, to do some jobs around your gaff. The odd time, you come back home, and he has done a pretty good job, your faith in him is unquestionable. But more often than not, you get home, and he has f**ked up yet again. You both blame the tools, because he is your mate and you have seen that he can do a half decent job, maybe 25% of the time. There is that nagging feeling at the back of your head, that he is actually in charge of the tools, because he's your mate, you try to keep it at the back of your head. And even though it's the same mistake each time, sometimes when he has changed the tools, you want/hope that the next time, it will all be good, because he is your mate. 

40 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

Zouma is our best defender he was immense beside terry and looked brilliant last week with Silva he has all the physical attributes he just needs to be next to a leader. Silva and Zouma works. 

Thiago Silva is our best defender and Zouma never looked immense next to Terry, that is an exaggeration. He was a raw youngster who had mistakes in his game that were mostly overlooked because of his age. I remember plenty of comments at the time saying how he had to use his pace a lot to make last ditch tackles because of poor positioning and the comments about his awareness from set pieces. 

I also don't think he was brilliant against Crystal Palace either. Palace were the complete opposite to Southampton. We can deal with pretty much any team as long as they don't play a high pressing game, and that is exactly why it was so easy against Palace. They sat off us and let us dictate the tempo of the game. It wasn't exaclty a busy game for Zouma, he barely had to do any defending.

34 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

As true as this undoubtedly is this is a stunning indictment of the quality or lack of in our side. Both players have only played a couple of games each and already we miss them significantly when they are out.

If the club had built from the back years ago, we may not have been in this situation. But with signings like Zappacosta, Rudiger, Luiz, Alonso, Emerson etc, we have neglected any real quality in defence. I can understand that this window it was difficult to find the top quality. It's unfortunate. We could have brought in VVD years ago when Conte was here, but instead we focused on saving money and bringing in average players. 

15 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Iam still with Frank as things stand today ,but that trust with all things Frank seeps away more and more everytime i see kepa on the bench or 

like today starting the game > just think the two points lost today could well keep us out of CL finish this season . 

iam starting to re adjust my mindset on chelsea been top team in London by end if season ,since i now have us behind both arsewipes and that other lot > hence to say if the case no CL finish for CFC this term unless we win it 

On the ball we are really good, but off the ball we are piss poor, so fragile. 

That backline is/was atrocious. Not Franks fault, Christensen and Zouma, does he really have a choice here without Silva? GIve him a break on that. However, the keeper situation, please for the love of god stop playing Kepa. Cab is also w**k, but Kepa is ultra w**k. 

4 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

Only Frank can answer that ,but iam far too concerned about Whats the fack is Frank doing with our denfesive selections to worry about Whats what up front 

Yep. I would have preferred Pulisic on the left too, but in the end, it didn't make our attack any worse, we were brilliant going forward in the first half. If we were struggling to create chances, then yeah, it would be something worth complaining about, but our midfield and defense is where all of the attention should be.

Really an unbelievable result again. With our squad we should beat these southamptons 5-0 with our left hand. I don't know what is wrong in our defending. I haven't check this but the commentator said that Chelsea has not kept two clean sheets in a row under Frank. 

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Once Ziyech reaches full fitness, Mount shouldn't be starting games. Havertz/Werner/Pulisic/Ziyech are all better than him, I even rate Callum higher even though he hasn't had the best of periods lately. 

There’s not a slim chance CHO is better than mount that’s why mount starts for England and Calum plays in the under 21’s. At this point not talking potential but what they actually bring to a game there is no comparison 

17 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

There’s not a slim chance CHO is better than mount that’s why mount starts for England and Calum plays in the under 21’s. At this point not talking potential but what they actually bring to a game there is no comparison 

He’s not being played in the right position. He’s best as an 8. Midfield was a disaster. Jorginho is good on the ball but is useless defensively 

Kante was poor in the first giving away possession, fouling and generally off the pace. 

In the second he is pressing with the forwards and making interceptions. 

I just don't see him as a defensive midfielder and this is another conundrum that we can't fix until December unless we find something in other squad members by chance.