Chelsea v Southampton (PL) Sat 17th Oct 2020 15:00 GMT

42 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Don’t see that happening, he was the replacement keeper, and therefore no.2, for the Palace game, so if Mendy is out then, unfortunately, I think it means Kepa is in ? Like I’ve mentioned before, I think FL is under pressure from upstairs to keep Kepa as an option because, presumably;

(a) someone believes he has something to offer and will eventually come good ?

and / or

(b) by keeping him in and around the first team, his residual value won’t be too badly affected and somebody at some club who is suffering from major memory loss and a broken television might be desperate enough to buy him ? 

What a terrible state of affairs when we put all our faith and hopes on a keeper who has played exactly 1 game for us !!!!!!!  🙈😂😂

Yes i have read on here before that Frank must be getting pressure from upstairs to keep kepa involved for the reasons you pointed out .Should this be the case this might come  to bite CFC in its backside when kepa plays again > i hope not but i just dont have any confidence in kepa what so ever and it winds me up no end when i see him named on the bench .

If Frank has got his hands tied in this kepa situation he needs to bring this out in a post match interview should kepa cost us points ofvthe game .

I don't buy the notion that Lampard is being pressured into playing Kepa by the board in order to maintain his monetary value, firstly looking at his recent form the only way to maintain his value is to keep him away from the starting 11 as opposed to bring him into the firing line and further expose his frailties. The main reason I believe Lampard keeps reverting back to Kepa rather than giving Willy an extended run is because even though Willy is semi competent in shot stopping he is the inferior sweeper behind the defense because he is nearly 40. 

Kepa is more athletic and more likely to cover space behind the defense when we play a high line, against teams who play with a low block and look to hit us on the counter it is vital we have a athletic and quick keeper who is able to fulfil that role. In my opinion that is the main reason why Lampard is having to give keep giving Kepa the opportunity because from a stylistic POV he suits our style of play but shame about his shot stopping and lack of confidence.

25 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I don't buy the notion that Lampard is being pressured into playing Kepa by the board in order to maintain his monetary value, firstly looking at his recent form the only way to maintain his value is to keep him away from the starting 11 as opposed to bring him into the firing line and further expose his frailties. The main reason I believe Lampard keeps reverting back to Kepa rather than giving Willy an extended run is because even though Willy is semi competent in shot stopping he is the inferior sweeper behind the defense because he is nearly 40. 

Kepa is more athletic and more likely to cover space behind the defense when we play a high line, against teams who play with a low block and look to hit us on the counter it is vital we have a athletic and quick keeper who is able to fulfil that role. In my opinion that is the main reason why Lampard is having to give keep giving Kepa the opportunity because from a stylistic POV he suits our style of play but shame about his shot stopping and lack of confidence.

I don’t really know about your second paragraph? ; 

........likely to cover space behind the defense when we play a high line, against teams who play with a low block and look to hit us on the counter it is vital we have a athletic and quick keeper who is able to fulfil that role. 

You may well be correct but I don’t think I’ve personably seen that from Kepa , nor is it the thing I want most from a keeper either ? 

Alls I know is that, IMO, first and foremost you absolutely have to have your GK to have a decent shot to save ratio - from what I’ve seen when Kepa plays, nearly every shot on target is a goal and when he plays I suspect the back four feel the same - it’s not just that he has lost confidence, he just doesn’t  ‘command’ his area and doesn’t give the team playing in front of him any confidence either.

I can’t help but believe that @ £70 million + , frank has been told to continue with Kepa, no way will that be allowed to be written off just yet ?

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

I don’t really know about your second paragraph? ; 

........likely to cover space behind the defense when we play a high line, against teams who play with a low block and look to hit us on the counter it is vital we have a athletic and quick keeper who is able to fulfil that role. 

You may well be correct but I don’t think I’ve personably seen that from Kepa , nor is it the thing I want most from a keeper either ? 

Alls I know is that, IMO, first and foremost you absolutely have to have your GK to have a decent shot to save ratio - from what I’ve seen when Kepa plays, nearly every shot on target is a goal and when he plays I suspect the back four feel the same - it’s not just that he has lost confidence, he just doesn’t  ‘command’ his area and doesn’t give the team playing in front of him any confidence either.

I can’t help but believe that @ £70 million + , frank has been told to continue with Kepa, no way will that be allowed to be written off just yet ?

This stat was touted on a sports channel during the CFC v lpool game after kepa dropped that bboolloock > out of the last 13 shots kepa faced from outside the area 9 turned into goals > i think the first shot in that stat was the one at Crystal Palace by zaha which zipped by kepa from a different post Code away . 

No mendy which means kepa will start = oh dear but saying that it gives kepa a last chance saloon to help sort his act out fingers/ toes crossed > just hope that Mr.Ings has not got his shooting boots on . 

on a side not 4 quite watchable prem games on the idiot box this saturday for various reasons .

1st > Everton v Liverpool > merseyside derby > Everton win or draw please 2-1 or 2-2 

2nd > chelsea v Southampton > obvious reasons > CFC win 3-1 > that prediction came from my heart not me head 

3rd > man cit eh v arsewipes > scoring draw > 2-2 

4th and last > newcastle utd V man utd > two Uniteds with the later been all over the shop at the moment > 3-2 Home win > with man utd having another defensive horror  show ,which inturn will keep the media/ public eye away from Chelseas still not ironed out back line scare shows .

amongst all that there is tims/left footers vs Billy Boys / teady bears / drum bashers > if Celtic play with two wide men and dont fill up the midfield it will be a Rangers win 1-3 > if the zombies will win 3-1 > Rangers win please > its anyone ones guess which team will have a player sent off first ,but since no crowd inside the ground that will dilute any aggression in the game and only a fool or village idiot will Get a red card > take one step forward the rangers nutjob who plays upfront 

Lamps selections and approach really frustrate me.  He should keep a little more closer to home so the opposition don't have an additional day to make preparations to target weak areas.

Beyond that, the Silva one is another head scratcher for me.  He was fit enough to play for Brazil when flying west, but flying east he is not available for selection for Chelsea.  Perhaps more rest days involved, but he would have likely traveled home Wed, landed Thu and had Thu and all Friday to be ready.  It's not that hard.  Using that logic, eastern European games should rule people out for the weekend.

At times he is digging his own grave, and I want him to succeed so badly. Get ready for the circus act at the back again this week.

44 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

------------------Werner-----------------

Pulisic-----------Havertz-------------CHO

----------Jorginho-----Kante-------------

Chilwell-----Zouma-----AC4---------Azpi

-----------------Caballero---------------

Swap Christensen for anyone (mascot included) and I agree. 

2 minutes ago, fitz said:

No Mendy or Silva. Chilwell "in the squad"? 

Right, it's up to you front lot to bang in 3+ goals in order to guarantee the win. Glad to see Pulisic is fit to play so should feature at some point.

I love that approach!

No decent goalkeeper avail & the same back 4 choices as last season Vs Soton (xcept Chilly maybe) imo means a long 90 minutes, cant predict as the wild card Kepa has just been re introduced into the pack, lets hope Rudiger is not in the squad then as well !

If Soton score first we will struggle, if we bang in a couple unanswered should get all the points.

2 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Lamps selections and approach really frustrate me.  He should keep a little more closer to home so the opposition don't have an additional day to make preparations to target weak areas.

Beyond that, the Silva one is another head scratcher for me.  He was fit enough to play for Brazil when flying west, but flying east he is not available for selection for Chelsea.  Perhaps more rest days involved, but he would have likely traveled home Wed, landed Thu and had Thu and all Friday to be ready.  It's not that hard.  Using that logic, eastern European games should rule people out for the weekend.

At times he is digging his own grave, and I want him to succeed so badly. Get ready for the circus act at the back again this week.

I agree too.  Frank does frustrate me as he appears to me to be over cautious with players needing to be 100% ready before he starts them.  The amount of times, in the press conference I hear "in the squad but not ready to start".  That just irritates me.  At the moment, I want to see a settled 11 and a settled way of playing plus formation.  I also want to see a settled back four, preferably the back 4 that played v Palace.  He's already said no Silva and I have a nasty suspicion that Chilwell will be on the bench as not 100%, in Frank's eyes, so that will be James in and Azpi on the left so already 2 personnel changes and Azpi swapping sides.  I assume Christensen will play, I'll be honest I can't stand Christensen, and if we win, the following game I can see Frank dropping Zouma for Silva and Christensen keeps his place.  Sort of thing, to me anyway, Frank would do.  You think he has settled on a back 4 and then bang, a curve ball that just makes you think he still hasn't a clue what he thinks his best team is.....

53 minutes ago, Chris Gundleton said:

I agree too.  Frank does frustrate me as he appears to me to be over cautious with players needing to be 100% ready before he starts them.  The amount of times, in the press conference I hear "in the squad but not ready to start".  That just irritates me.  At the moment, I want to see a settled 11 and a settled way of playing plus formation.  I also want to see a settled back four, preferably the back 4 that played v Palace.  He's already said no Silva and I have a nasty suspicion that Chilwell will be on the bench as not 100%, in Frank's eyes, so that will be James in and Azpi on the left so already 2 personnel changes and Azpi swapping sides.  I assume Christensen will play, I'll be honest I can't stand Christensen, and if we win, the following game I can see Frank dropping Zouma for Silva and Christensen keeps his place.  Sort of thing, to me anyway, Frank would do.  You think he has settled on a back 4 and then bang, a curve ball that just makes you think he still hasn't a clue what he thinks his best team is.....

Exactly my thoughts.  I'd go one further and say if they are fit enough for the bench they are fit enough to play, otherwise don't bring them.

I really do think this chopping and changing will be his self-inflicted downfall.  Just overcomplicates the basics.

Given what we heard in the press confidence I would be tempted to not risk Chilwell nor kante is their is any doubt.

Dave can switch to left back. May as well also give Rudiger and Tomori a chance to state their case after they turned down moves away.

Kepa

James

Rudiger

Tomori

Azpi

Kovacic

Jorginho

Mount

Havertz

CHO

Werner

It’s a bit frustrating that we can’t field the same back 5 as last game. Although, I feel Reece should be given the nod for this one. He had a fantastic debut for England and his confidence should be high going into this one.

Kepa

James Tomori Zouma Chilwell

Kante Jorginho

CHO Kai Mount

Werner

Since we have Kepa in goal, lack of height might be a problem. So maybe Tammy in for Mount moving Werner on to the right. 

Trick game given the players out and the fitness of others coming back from the International game. I'd pick Kepa, just because he had 2 games during the break, probably his last chance if he's ever going to get a last chance. Hopefully Chiwell is fit, otherwise it's Azpi on the left. Start either Ziyech or Pullisic, big risks given the lack of match fitness, but need the presence of 1 if not both for the 90 minutes to break down Southhampton. Werner has played 3 games in about a week, I'd tempted to play Tammy.

Maybe there is more to the Silva thing than the long plane flight. I used to go on business pretty much every year to the uk from Sydney and the jet lag is harder than you think. It’s notionall harder going west than East but it builds up. And he may have niggles. On paper this should be easy but a lot of the team have had a tough international week