Chelsea v Southampton (PL) Sat 17th Oct 2020 15:00 GMT

3 hours ago, coco said:

Please explain to me how the manager has anything to do with simple errors like this......

Yes hes under pressure, but any decent keeper hits the ball row z and that's the job done, Kepa doesn't even make contact, it's simply awful.

Capture.PNG

Because defensive errors come from panic and panic comes from not being well drilled, repeated individual errors are a result of a systematic problem, namely that no one has a clue where they are supposed to be or what they are supposed to be doing. 

Good defensive coaches make sure everybody knows where they are supposed to be, what their specific role and sub roles are and who they are marking before the game, that’s clearly not happening, it’s clear to see. 

1 minute ago, SFL82 said:

Because defensive errors come from panic and panic comes from not being well drilled, repeated individual errors are a result of a systematic problem, namely that no one has a clue where they are supposed to be or what they are supposed to be doing. 

Good defensive coaches make sure everybody knows where they are supposed to be, what their specific role and sub roles are and who they are marking before the game, that’s clearly not happening, it’s clear to see. 

What has any of that got to do with taking your eyes of the ball and allowing it go through your guard, i mean come on what has Frank got to do to stop that happning ? apart from sewing Kepas legs together and pinning his eyes open so he cant close them. If he just did his job and kicked the ball into row z we wouldn't be questioning the manager.

Just now, haviet1 said:

Kepa was the worse keeper in the EPL last season.

Only because Caballero was on the bench for most of it, if they played 50% of the games each i bet they would both have bad records.

2 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

As many already stated, these are International players for God sake. Are they that terrible that they keep making the same errors games after games? 

At some point, you have to stop pointing the fingers at the players, the sooner the better.

35 minutes ago, coco said:

I would understand your'e response if Frank had a viable alternative. Don't bring Caballero into it because its 50/50 which one is worse.

I can't agree with that at all for the simple reason the stats show that Kepa has the worst shots saved ratio in Premier League history, and by quite a distance.  Caballero may not be an ideal replacement but he was only ever intended to be a back up anyway.

I actually feel sorry for Kepa in a way, It's not his fault we paid a world record fee for him and maybe that put too much pressure on him right from the start. However he hasn't done himself many favours since, the League Cup Final tantrum being a prime example.

I think it best for all concerned if we just cut our losses and say farewell. That said I'm not overly convinced by Mendy as first choice either.

We've been blessed with some fantastic goalkeepers in the past, maybe we've been spoilt ?

4 hours ago, ZouMan said:

City : Pep

Liverpool: Jorgen

Arsenal:Mikel

Tottenham:Jose

Everton: Carlo

look like better team on the pitch : organisation & resilience.

looks like we are even out of the top 5 , it is going to be a race between Frank & Ole

How many more people are going to fall for this Arsenal/Arteta hype? Good god!

46 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

We've been blessed with some fantastic goalkeepers in the past, maybe we've been spoilt ?

No. We're not some underdog team that is happy with staying in the PL. We have always wanted to win titles, there is no "maybe we've been spoilt". We need better than Kepa.

Kepa is without a shadow of a doubt the worst GK. The data supports it, watching him proves it. Anyone that defends him just looks like a moron come matchday

27 minutes ago, Deino said:

No. We're not some underdog team that is happy with staying in the PL. We have always wanted to win titles, there is no "maybe we've been spoilt". We need better than Kepa.

Kepa is without a shadow of a doubt the worst GK. The data supports it, watching him proves it. Anyone that defends him just looks like a moron come matchday

Maybe you should read my post again. I said we have been 'spoilt'  by the fact we've had some great goalkeepers in the past.

Ugh. Another game, another defensive disaster class after utterly dominating. 

Our descent into late-Wenger Arsenal continues apace. I won't blame Frank for today individual f**kups for 2 goals. Havertz thinking he can waltz around 5 players in his own half like it's the Bundesliga and then the collective Zouma/Kepa f**kup for the second. The naivety of some of our players is staggering. It's actually one of my least favourite characteristics in a football team and it's probably the one word that defines us best.

As for positives. Great to see Werner on the board and nice to see Ziyech get his first start as well if we keep defending like this we're going to need him to provide many goals and assists this season.

Absolutely infuriating, I get it it's not possible to win every games, even against teams in the relegation zones. However, it's just unaccepatable to score 3 goals and still unable to win, and we have done it twice in 5 games. I think Lampard handed to initiative in the pre-game talk by annoucning Silva is not part of the team due to a long flight. Southmapton knew we are going to be vulnerable and  and we were in disarry everytime the ball in our half. Zouma/Christensen/Kepa looked like they never played together, the lack of trust and communication was alarming. For the first goal, two central defenders just let the striker walk past them, GK came out and in no man's land. Sure, Havetz coped the blame for giving the ball away ( 50-50 foul ball), but surely 2 central defenders should have made a bit of effort to protect the goal. Second goal, Zouma back passed without looking the GK wasn't coming out for it, then when he did, he never had the confidence to commit to it, should have never been a goal. Third goal was coming as soon as the FK was lined up, weak cross in and nobody made an attempt to intercept it, and of course the GK was never near it, he only deal with shouts aimed at his body. Attack was good, Wener showed his true self, how different it is when he actually played as a striker ? We got to 3:2, and never went for the clincher again, surely Frank knew we were not going to hold on to it. Yes, players were tired, but that's why we got a team and meant to rotated, and where is Barkley when we could use a fresh player? Attack wise, we will get better now Wener is in form, and creative players are back. Defensively, I reckon we are worse than where we were 12 months ago, players just kept making mistakes and not learning. Zouma is a good tackler/header, but he needs that senior player beside him guiding him, which is a big worry since he's not that 19 year old upcoming kind anymore. When we pair Zouma/Chritensen, Zouma is completely our of his zone as he's not only defending his zone but also covers Christensen.Christensen hasn't had a shocker, but he just not doing his share, and everytime there was danger he's miles away from it.

We cannot go a game without Kepa playing and making a huge flippin error in it can we?

We were playing so well until Saints scored their first goal. Lovely passing, great pace, attacking unity. Then we fell apart and half time did nothing to get us going again.

That second goal is truly awful. Poor ball from Zouma but how does Kepa come sliding in, get to the ball first and miss it?

Every single time he plays he makes a huge ricket. It is a simple tackle man how can you miss the ball!

Cannot believe we took Mount off for Zyiech. If we are chasing the game fair but when Mount is the only one putting a defensive shift in out of him, Havertz and Pulisic it makes no sense to take him off.

The difference a competent keeper and defensive leader make. 

Poor subs Frank. Think we could all see Dave was not coping all through that second half and Kai and Pulisic were gassed in the last 15 minutes. Them staying on was like us playing with 9 and a half players to go along with our awful defence.

Score 3 goals in two games against poor sides and only get a point in both those games.

Not good enough.

6 hours ago, haviet1 said:

As many already stated, these are International players for God sake. Are they that terrible that they keep making the same errors games after games? 

At some point, you have to stop pointing the fingers at the players, the sooner the better.

Yes, they are that terrible. I don't know why this is so hard to believe. 

Even after spenspending 220m on players we will never make Top 4. We are worse than last year defensively. Same mistakes, same excuses. The joke that attack should simply score more than we let in is just that - a joke. Not a sensible approach. Many days we won't score 3 but will still let 3 in. I love Lamps but if he doesn't find a way out of this mess he will have to go.

9 hours ago, fitz said:

This is a totally inappropriate comment in the context of a football match. You should be ashamed. Get f**king educated. 

What part of the comment upsets you fella dirty Leeds or gang rape > i will go in with all my poker chips with the later > sorry if it caused you and others offence but its quite obvious that we are from different backrounds we are a country mile apart . Iam not going to say sorry for pointing out that Franks tatics will Get gang raped by the Leeds managers approach to games since it is quite a possible outcome .

you take onboard whatever way you feal you want to understand the term in question thats your right and your not wrong in doing so > but i will never walk over broken glass or hot coals when i speak my mind for nobody . 

Thanks for your input and showing your fealings but alot Worse things happen at SEA fella .

5 hours ago, haviet1 said:

I really don't understand the Christensen love. 

I had issues with Christensen last season ,but kepas form since the backend of last season has turned my attention onto poor kepa > it feals bad and off been so negative about kepa game in game out whenever he plays and i really hope that kepa can sort his bad form out but not at the cost of 1st team points . Stick kepa into the reserves to help sort himself out along with help from the correct coach .

I remember when a keeper would 1st clear the ball and 2nd take out the advancing player, for daring to challenge him, all in one move.

Kepa is the weakest wet fart of a keeper i have ever seen at the club in over 40 years.

Forget the money we paid for him and get rid before it's too late and Frank gets sacked and FSW returns.

Then we will hear some proper moaning on this forum.

10 hours ago, coco said:

What has any of that got to do with taking your eyes of the ball and allowing it go through your guard, i mean come on what has Frank got to do to stop that happning ? apart from sewing Kepas legs together and pinning his eyes open so he cant close them. If he just did his job and kicked the ball into row z we wouldn't be questioning the manager.

Only because Caballero was on the bench for most of it, if they played 50% of the games each i bet they would both have bad records.

You’re looking at one error but what I’m saying is when every single game you have comical errors there’s an underlying cause. 

He can’t see the keepers legs together but he can get defence and keeper in the same page so that they don’t put each other under pressure, none of them trust each other. That trust and communication starts from the training ground. 

The same problems existed at derby. I like frank too but we can’t be naive to reality 

There is no way we will end up even in top 6 if this trend continues. We are dropping points with teams where we must be getting all 3 points no matter what. Where are we going to compensate those lost points? Against City, Liverpool(1game), Spuds, MU, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal…? Most of those are now an equal match in attacking powers to our team. They have super talents in front as well as we do, but they also have defences sorted out where we are not. If those more or less evenly matched then it would come to coaches’ tactics to outsmart their opponents…hmm. Match against MU will show we are and what that might mean for Frank by the end of the season. I really really hope Frank turns this around sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, coco said:

I remember when a keeper would 1st clear the ball and 2nd take out the advancing player, for daring to challenge him, all in one move.

Kepa is the weakest wet fart of a keeper i have ever seen at the club in over 40 years.

Forget the money we paid for him and get rid before it's too late and Frank gets sacked and FSW returns.

Then we will hear some proper moaning on this forum.

100%.

There is a danger here that some might believe the Kepa lack of form is temporary , brought on by loss of confidence, wrong colour away kit, lost lucky rabbits foot, being home sick blah, blah, blah and that somehow he will come good - I’m afraid I don’t subscribe to that point of view, the bloke just isn’t a very capable or talented goalkeeper and certainly not good enough  to play for Chelsea or any other team with CL and top 4 PL pedigree and ambition, don’t even think anywhere in the PL tbh  - simply put, we bought a pup !!

Its not his fault that we paid what we did for him, but sometimes you have to cut your losses - it’s all very well saying he has to go but he ain’t gonna give up the £40-50 million in wages that he will “earn” for the remainder of his contract and actually, who the fu;k would have him ??  Doubt he will accept being consigned to “light duties” that doesn’t involve football for the next 5 fu;king years, YES UNTIL 2025 , picking up his almost 200k a week dosh. Time to dig deep Bruce, Roman et al, pay up and look big , give him a settlement, he has to be gone or he will become cancerous.

Kepa is not the reason we lost 2 points. He is 50% to blame for one of the goals. What about the other two? Mistake from Kai and inability to defend set pieces. What about the missed chances by Werner and Kai? If they scored no one would be blaming Kepa for the world's problems. So many other factors contributed to us missing out on two points. So you can blame Kepa all you want but the reality is the problem is with the whole team and Frank. Is it Kepa's fault Southampton dominated us the entire secnd half?

Frustrating game to say the least. 

1. Pulisic should have been on the left side. He is far superior to Mount who contributed very little yesterday. 
2. The formation seemed to be a big part of the problem. Chillwell was caught up field quite a bit and there was very little defensive support in the middle of the field. 
3. The Havertz miss on the header fed by Ziyech hurt. He was unmarked and should have buried that header. 

4. The panic fouls in the defensive end can’t happen. James trucking a player who was no threat led to the tying goal. Why?

5. Kepa made two great saves. However, the sequence between him and Zoums was cringeworthy. 

Edited by TheGreatestGame