Transfer Deadline Day 2020

16 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Actually I have a feeling Tomori will still go, but to a championship team unfortunately, hardly ideal for his development. Unless him or Rudi go to eredivise tomorrow, Portuguese window still open for two weeks. 

Tomori just reneged on a Westham loan move.  Westham were willing to pay us a good loan fee but he refused .

13 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Tomori just reneged on a Westham loan move.  Westham were willing to pay us a good loan fee but he refused .

In that case he’s probably keen to stay and fight for his place, we’ll see what happens. 

Tomori probably should have taken the deal and got the premier league experience which he needs. He is a good player but has errors, including positional errors in him. More experience would be helpful and there would be less pressure.

Rudigier should be sold in my view, not enough technique either with or without the ball.

Dutch window is open till tomorrow. Leaves time for MvG. Even more for Sarr as the Portugese window goes to October 25th. 

So that hopefully means Marina is working on something for players like Alonso, Emerson, Moses etc. Missed out on good loan fees and most of the wages covered though.

2 hours ago, evissy said:

So no one wanted to leave or was wanted apart from Ruben. Frankie has a hell of a squad to maintain. 

It's quite easy to maintain. Stick them in the development squad and don't talk to them until January. 

Failure to move on some of the fringe players puts a slightly diminishes the success of our transfer window. 

Incoming players, you couldn't have asked for better. 

Ending the window with 5 centre backs and 3 left backs? Not great is it? 

I know some international windows are still open, so hopefully we can move on a couple more players within the next couple of weeks but our squad is so bloated now. 

You could see there being a flurry of activity come January... Can't be sustainable having so many players hanging around on hefty wages. How much per week is it costing just having MVG, Drinkwater, Baba Rhaman and Moses training with the development squad? £250,000? Scary to think about really. 

Just thinking on our CBs passing on a move to WHU.

I guess when they move to a team outside London they get new accommodation yet doubt that would happen at WHU and so they may have to travel quite a bit to attend training.

Could that be the reason they did not move?

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Just thinking on our CBs passing on a move to WHU.

I guess when they move to a team outside London they get new accommodation yet doubt that would happen at WHU and so they may have to travel quite a bit to attend training.

Could that be the reason they did not move?

No.

No idea why tomori didn't go. Think that's a mistake on his part. 

3 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

No.

No idea why tomori didn't go. Think that's a mistake on his part. 

think he wants to fight for a place which is fair enough, but unless 1 of Silva, Christensen, Zouma gets injured he's going to get very little minutes.

at least he's above Rudiger in the pecking order though

I think Tomori stayd because it was well documented Rudiger is the one who leaves for several weeks. Fikayo had his heart set for Chelsea.

We have to move Rudi, Emerson or Alonso still. Have no idea how but it seems there are still options. Fringelads like Moses or DD I am not interested in. We need to move these guys who are in the bubble aka first team. The morale can take a hit having 2-3 internationals there to shake up the vibes.

2 minutes ago, evissy said:

I think Tomori stayd because it was well documented Rudiger is the one who leaves for several weeks. Fikayo had his heart set for Chelsea.

We have to move Rudi, Emerson or Alonso still. Have no idea how but it seems there are still options. Fringelads like Moses or DD I am not interested in. We need to move these guys who are in the bubble aka first team. The morale can take a hit having 2-3 internationals there to shake up the vibes.

The fact we didn't shift this deadwood is the main reason we didn't get Partey either.

32 minutes ago, driller97 said:

The fact we didn't shift this deadwood is the main reason we didn't get Partey either.

We were never that interested in Partey anyway, he was always Arsenal bound.

Rice is the DM Lampard wants but we were only ever going to make a move for him during this transfer window in the unlikely event we moved on Jorginho for a decent sum. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Rice is the DM Lampard wants but we were only ever going to make a move for him during this transfer window in the unlikely event we moved on Jorginho for a decent sum. 

I agree, Partey is handy but we were looking at something different. I'm interested to see how he goes outside Simeone's very compact defensive system, no doubt though he's a player that will improve Arsenal quite a bit I'd imagine. Still doesn't fix the fact that Luiz plays in their backline.

Edited by Spiller86
56 minutes ago, driller97 said:

think he wants to fight for a place which is fair enough, but unless 1 of Silva, Christensen, Zouma gets injured he's going to get very little minutes.

at least he's above Rudiger in the pecking order though

If Rudiger stays then he won't be. Rudiger will find his way back ahead of him because he's a better defender.

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He was definitely the 2nd choice behind Rice, but when the Rice deal wasn't going through Partey could have definitely happened. But we just didnt have the funds as we failed to offload any of our deadwood, not a single one.

24 minutes ago, driller97 said:

He was definitely the 2nd choice behind Rice, but when the Rice deal wasn't going through Partey could have definitely happened. But we just didnt have the funds as we failed to offload any of our deadwood, not a single one.

If this transfer window has taught us anything it's that we're not settling for 2nd choice transfer targets. 

Arsenal have been tracking Partey for 2 years, they've had personal terms agreed with him for ages. He was never realistically going to sign for Chelsea. 

Selling the likes of Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta wouldn't have had any bearing on signing Rice. We needed to sell 1 or 2 players currently in the first team set up to do that... Truth is we were massively overstocked on midfielders, many of them more suited to playing in more advanced positions than sitting deep. We've let Barkley and RLC go out on loan but we've still got Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante and Gillmore fighting it out for 2 positions then you've got Mount, Havertz and possibly Ziyech competing for the attacking midfield option. 

There's too much work to do to create space for another midfielder in the squad to make signing another midfielder realistic right now, especially in a market where so few clubs are willing to spend any money. 

1 hour ago, driller97 said:

Not based off what I've seen from them in the past year

I disagree. Tomori hasn't looked solid for us at all. That is why Lampard benched him post lockdown. Rudiger is still the better defender for me. 

Lampard was happy for either Tomori or Rudiger to go. He was happy for Rudiger to be sold and Tomori to be loaned. 

Far as Tomori goes I think he made the right call. Yes he has given up far more likely regular PL football with West ham, however defenders with the talent and expierence of Silva do not just grow on trees. Who is to say he stays here next season, this may be Tomoris only chance to learn from him in training and the occasional game.

Far as Rudiger goes if it was a loan he made a mistake. He wants his spot for the Euros and being behind Silva, Zouma and Christensen is not going to help him with that.