Possible Major shake up for English football

I don't mind cutting the league cup. 

I don't understand why the community shield is at risk? What on earth is wrong with that!

Generally, trying to give more money to the top 6 clubs doesn't sit right with me. The premier league is heading in a direction where there are 10 big teams, I like that. 

I wouldn't want the league cup scrapped, the early rounds of that and (early rounds of) the FA Cup (unless we pull a fellow top 6 team) are the only times I can watch Chelsea without feeling ultra tense, that plus it gives us the opportunity to see some players we wouldn't normally.

Money is normally the driver, on the surface does not make sense as a smaller league means less ticket or tv revenue.

Unless they want our league to start or end at different dates to follow another football league somewhere else in the world.

Think there will be a lot of oppositions to this.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

I wouldn't want the league cup scrapped, the early rounds of that and (early rounds of) the FA Cup (unless we pull a fellow top 6 team) are the only times I can watch Chelsea without feeling ultra tense, that plus it gives us the opportunity to see some players we wouldn't normally.

In the same as you but putting a neutral hat on, I like the idea of a league cup that doesn't involve the clubs in europe and still offers a place in europe. I think the competition doesn't get exciting until the semi finals and then usually 3 out of 4 are top 6 teams.

I'd like to see this season everton, wolves, southampton and newcastle feel this is a genuine route to europe and a trophy. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

I don't mind cutting the league cup. 

I don't understand why the community shield is at risk? What on earth is wrong with that!

Generally, trying to give more money to the top 6 clubs doesn't sit right with me. The premier league is heading in a direction where there are 10 big teams, I like that. 

I suspect Utd and Liverpool want to ditch the league cup and community shield, to give them more time to play lucrative friendlies overseas, like in America, or Asia. 

BuEMODdIYAAqJHg.jpg:large

I think the future is being moulded in a whole new model based maybe on the American idea. They seem to be offering sweeteners to the fa and lower leagues, but i think once this is in place they will have complete control of Football especially with the cartel voting system they want.

Once they have this system i can see it being like the Nfl, as in no promotion or relegation.

We think there is a lot of money in football now, if this comes into place it will be small change.

Edited by Kev56

The most disgusting aspect to this whole thing is the timing. They are obviously using the precarious financial situation of the teams in the lower leagues to force this through by offering some rewards to them, knowing they are not in a position to fight it. 

I mean, this is just ridiculous:-

• Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership These clubs would even be able to veto a new owner taking over a rival club.
  • New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league

Edited by dkw
53 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

I think the future is being moulded in a whole new model based maybe on the American idea. They seem to be offering sweeteners to the fa and lower leagues, but i think once this is in place they will have complete control of Football especially with the cartel voting system they want.

Once they have this system i can see it being like the Nfl, as in no promotion or relegation.

We think there is a lot of money in football now, if this comes into place it will be small change.

That part in bold probably explains the £100m sweetener.

I can understand a move to reduce matches yet lets recall much fewer cup replays these days, also for those clubs in Europe why not stipulate they can only have two over 23s in the League Cup until they exit Europe. With this in place smaller clubs should go further and the big clubs development team largely get decent competition. 

Don't like the idea of reducing the EPL size yet as long as more than one club gets relegated can live with that. 

6 hours ago, Argo said:

Some different away grounds to visit in the early rounds if drawn away

The American model is a franchise model of the Billionaire boys club... buy your way into the league and you have a no-risk asset that generates millions of guaranteed revenue without any risk. They put salary caps in place and incentivize losing if you're not in the "playoff" race. It's pretty despicable if you look at it with an open mind.

The only ones who suffer with an unambitious owner are the fans. The owner still makes his millions while fielding an inferior product and leaching off of the league. 

I LOVE how cutthroat international football is. I love promotion, relegation. I love that teams fight for their lives at the end of the season, instead of tanking for a higher draft pick. I love that ambition is rewarded and not punished.

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

There isn't a hope in hell these changes get adopted. 

I don't even know why the big clubs bother talking about it. 

If 'the big clubs' decide to do it, who will stop them?

I don't need to read what the changes are to know that I'm against it. If Liverpool and their septic owners think of an idea I am already apposed. If UTD agree on a plan with Liverpool supposedly for the greater good I am not only apposed I'd go on hunger strike to stop it happening. They share a "rivalry" on the pitch but both teams only goal is and always has been to share a monopoly between themselves and look down on everyone else's. Even if this plan would benefit Chelsea ten fold I'm against it...I am that bloke that would cut my nose off I don't mind admitting it. Anything the septics can think up I cannot get behind on principle.

I heard on the news this morning that there is going to be a meeting today to discuss the project. Will be interesting to hear the outcome. 

For me it sounds like another of the power struggles which have been going on since the rules for football were drawn up in the 1860s. Goodness knows how many struggles there have been since then. Look at what happened in the 1950s when the FA (or was it the Football League?) didn't want Chelsea to compete in the newly created European Cup. The following season Man. Utd told the powers that be to get stuffed.

The Premier League and the FA had clashes when the PL was created in the early nineties. Is the latest idea another example of sabre rattling?

I may have missed it but haven't seen any reactions from the broadcasters e.g. Sky and BT. Could they object to it if each of the PL teams brokers a deal with broadcasters? I'm not sure when the current contracts expire.