Man Utd v Chelsea (PL) Sat 24th Oct 2020 17:30 GMT

Frank 1 v 3  Ollie 

back to the unpredictable prem. 
we saw 6 of the new signings on the pitch at the same time today  (Mendy, Silva, Chilly, Kai, Ziyech, Werner) hope we see a lot of those start for this one, with VAR and no Mancs in OT don’t think any team can be the favorites. Obviously if the tactics employed enable their counter attack then the new boys at the back will be busy. Here’s hoping it’s the opposite and Frank gets one back. 

Edited by General
Stats

We need some one to be controlling that midfield. We can only win teams if we can control them. Then get the ball across to our attackers. It's a shame that we could not get a proper defensive midfielder at the summer. Even Westham, as I watched them against Tottenham, they are a very good team. We need to assemble a proper team. We are facing tough teams and we cannot be using a weak defensive midfield to play against them.

We need to buy a strong defensive midfielder who can control games in January. So that we can be getting the ball to our attackers more for them to get the goals.

Hope Frank sticks to the back 4 (and obviously keeper) who kept a good clean sheet last night. Only question will be Zouma. Toss of a coin job as to who might f**k up against Uniteds attack - Zouma, Tomori or Christensen? But I hope Frank sticks with James and isn't tempted to bring skipper Azpi back. Can now see why he left Silva out of the Southampton game. He obviously felt he was needed for the CL game and the United game and he is going to need to be managed and rested but he HAS to start against United.

Plenty of other decisions for Frank to ponder on. About time Mount sat one out and yet we need his pressing and energy in a game like United. One thing I would like to see is have Kante to sit on and man mark Fernandes. He pulls all the strings for United and does for them what I hoped Jorginho would do for us but Kante can nullify the threat.

Not a must-win game but it's not a game I want to lose!

Edited by Nibs
2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Hope Frank sticks to the back 4 (and obviously keeper) who kept a good clean sheet last night. Only question will be Zouma. Toss of a coin job as to who might f**k up against Uniteds attack - Zouma, Tomori or Christensen? But I hope Frank sticks with James and isn't tempted to bring skipper Azpi back. Can now see why he left Silva out of the Southampton game. He obviously felt he was needed for the CL game and the United game and he is going to need to be managed and rested but he HAS to start against United.

Plenty of other decisions for Frank to ponder on. About time Mount sat one out and yet we need his pressing and energy in a game like United. One thing I would like to see is have Kante to sit on and man mark Fernandes. He pulls all the strings for United and does for them what I hoped Jorginho would do for us but Kante can nullify the threat.

Totally agree with that, a lot of their play revolves around him.

Interesting points from MSN on the Olly vs Frank matches:

Solskjaer may say he wants to be proactive, but his best successes have come when he can be reactive.

It’s hard not to think United will fall into that pattern this Saturday, and that could well mean the game falls into their hands - depending on what Lampard does.

Going out against United may be how the Chelsea manager wants to play, but it looks exactly the wrong approach against a team that have just enjoyed such a transformative result. There’s also the fact Solskjaer got so many results against Lampard last season through exactly this - that was, until the last time.

Chelsea offered their own more controlled, contained approach in the FA Cup semi-final, and it served to frustrate United, and not allow those outlets.

It will be instructive to see whether Lampard goes for something similar again, or gives in to instinct and that array of attacking talent.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/manchester-united-s-triumphant-night-in-paris-shows-frank-lampard-the-big-problem-with-his-chelsea-side/ar-BB1aeYok?ocid=msed

43 minutes ago, Nibs said:

. One thing I would like to see is have Kante to sit on and man mark Fernandes. He pulls all the strings for United and does for them what I hoped Jorginho would do for us but Kante can nullify the threat.

That’s a great suggestion. I’d shift Pulisic to the left and maybe play ziyech instead of Mount. Mount really should be competing for havertz;s spot and there’s probably only one winner of that. 

39 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Mount will start as usual, but is it harsh to think Werner needs a rest? He looked bad against Sevilla and I think he may need a game off. But then again its against Utd, and we really cant lose to them

Can’t rest Werner against a back line with Maguire in it, he can exploit his lack of pace. Fingers crossed both Ziyech & Pulisic are fit, I will move Mount into a 3 alongside Kovacic & Jorginho and bring on Havertz in the second half.

My fear is he Lamps goes 2 in the middle against a physical Utd midfield and we get bullied.

The question for me is that does Lampard start with a wingback system, I am pretty sure Ole is going to play 3 at the back similar to the way he setup last night and against us in the FA Cup. Fortunately for us we just have superior players for that system and if we matched them I can see a similar outcome to the FA Cup semi final however I think that would mean Kai misses out for an extra CB.

Mendy

Azpi - Silva - Zouma

James - Kante - Kova - Chilwell

Ziyech - Werner - Pulisic

47 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Can’t rest Werner against a back line with Maguire in it, he can exploit his lack of pace. Fingers crossed both Ziyech & Pulisic are fit, I will move Mount into a 3 alongside Kovacic & Jorginho and bring on Havertz in the second half.

My fear is he Lamps goes 2 in the middle against a physical Utd midfield and we get bullied.

Yeah its a tough decision to make. Hopefully Werner gets a good rest in before the Utd game so he can be fit to play. Could possibly do 5 at the back with Chilwell/Alonso and Reece James as the wingbacks

Our attack didn't work against Sevilla, none of our attackers have played well. Maybe our offensive tactic is not good enough or maybe it just was a bad day.

I can be very optimistic because of our defense, we finally made a clean sheet and looked like we know how to defend. 

Two points we have to improve before the United game, first one is our possession because we're moving the ball without any attacking mind, in the first half Sevilla gave us 3 seconds to move the ball and then took it back. Rashford and Martial knows how to press an opponent and with their speed we can't afford losing the ball at our half. Second thing we must to improve is our offensive play, our attackers have a lot of quality but we still not there, it's not enough to win games. We need much more from Havertz, Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech.

I have no problem with starting Mount, but not as a winger. He's very motivated and wants a lot, but I'd play him the center. 

This is the lineup I'd like to see against United:

------------------ Mendy ------------------

James --- Thiago ---- Zouma ---- Chilwell

----------------- Kante ------------------

-------- Havertz ------ Kovacic ------------

Ziyech/CHO --- Werner ------ Pulisic

Losing points here and we're going down in the table, it's harsh to say but Lampard's spot is not like it was before. Every coach needs his time and build his project, but our history with manager isn't following this really. 

I really hope Lampard will get the win here, important 3 points for our difficult top 4 battle. 

COME ON CHELS!!!!!!

It’s amazing what a nights kip does for you and although it’s pissing down, overcast and grey outside I’m feeling much more positive than I was after the game last night.

I hope that everyone is fit for Saturday and assuming they are, then there won’t be, I imagine, much change from the side that played last night.

Wether you agree with the selection last night isn’t necessarily the point , I understand the arguments for/against Mount, Zouma, Christensen etc, the significant point from last night is the NIL .

Given all the furore surrounding Kepa and his f**k ups, aided and abetted, at times, by other Chelsea personnel that have been a freak show these last few weeks/months , it was a relief, a f**king blessed relief , to finish up without having conceded a goal and especially a goal that didn’t need conceding.

Consequently, I imagine that the team will feel ok-ish about themselves this morning, especially when you factor in that we were playing the serial winners and almost owners of the Europa league trophy  - don’t think it’s wrong to say that Sevilla are decent , very decent infact.

James came of age last night, seriously hope he can develop and maintain that game that’s definitely in him and produce it consistently.

Mendy IS a goal keeper, let’s hope he too is consistent.

Chilwell  is going to be a Chelsea legend I feel , really like what I see.

Silva - he’s got mistakes in him, but he’s the sticking plaster we need at CB, he’s very comfortable, but old and Brazilian ( insofar as he still wants to play international football almost  6000 miles away).

Confidence builds confidence, little steps , don’t think for a moment that we can do what those cu*ts from 3 points lane did to the mancs the other week @ 1-6 (f**king hurts to say it, but they were good value) , so be solid at the back and let Pulisic and Wenger loose on Maguire and co .

The important thing is that we may, at last, have a back four and goalkeeper that can compete and hold their own along with Silva oozing confidence and showing absolutely no fear, I hope that becomes infectious throughout the back four and that they “play and die’ for each other, like all great defensive units do.

I get the feeling that there’s just a little tweak, a small adjustment or 2 to be made in selection/position to get these guys working as a unit , I feel it’s close - God, I hope it’s not those f**king blue glasses again !!!!

33 minutes ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Our attack didn't work against Sevilla, none of our attackers have played well. Maybe our offensive tactic is not good enough or maybe it just was a bad day.

I can be very optimistic because of our defense, we finally made a clean sheet and looked like we know how to defend. 

Two points we have to improve before the United game, first one is our possession because we're moving the ball without any attacking mind, in the first half Sevilla gave us 3 seconds to move the ball and then took it back. Rashford and Martial knows how to press an opponent and with their speed we can't afford losing the ball at our half. Second thing we must to improve is our offensive play, our attackers have a lot of quality but we still not there, it's not enough to win games. We need much more from Havertz, Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech.

I have no problem with starting Mount, but not as a winger. He's very motivated and wants a lot, but I'd play him the center. 

This is the lineup I'd like to see against United:

------------------ Mendy ------------------

James --- Thiago ---- Zouma ---- Chilwell

----------------- Kante ------------------

-------- Havertz ------ Kovacic ------------

Ziyech/CHO --- Werner ------ Pulisic

Losing points here and we're going down in the table, it's harsh to say but Lampard's spot is not like it was before. Every coach needs his time and build his project, but our history with manager isn't following this really. 

I really hope Lampard will get the win here, important 3 points for our difficult top 4 battle. 

COME ON CHELS!!!!!!

I think this is a decent team selection that gives continuity to a lot of players and keeps the back 4 from the Seville game. We need to keep clean sheets. We have to change that. We can't keep conceding multiple goals and expect to get top 4. I'm sure Frank knows this. 

I like having Kovacic in for Jorginho but think he may be better employed sitting a bit deeper next to Kante. He can tackle and chase the opposition down. On occasions he sets up a good pass but his strong point for me is he travels forward with the ball after a quick turn. His forward runs aren't too much of a defensive risk as he lays it off before reaching the box. Jorginho seems to pass it sideways far too much and is physically smaller. We need a bit more beef in the team for Utd.

Huge game. A win here would boost the squad and Lampard so much, so I hope we make a good gameplan for them.

I'm not really for playing with a back 3 lineup but maybe if we want to win this game tactically we should really deploy Azpilicueta, T.Silva and Zouma while James and Chilwell play in a bit more advanced role.

Mendy

Azpilicueta T.Silva Zouma

James                             Chilwell

Kovacic 

Ziyech       Havertz        Pulisic

Giroud     

This lineup would win us the game, I'm sure of it since I have seen both Ziyech and Pulisic coming in the more central role and deep.

Bring in Mount, Kante and Werner from the bench or Jorginho, CHO, Mount, ManUtd must not get a chance to break our defense, this lineup with Kovacic as the base of the midfield automatically makes our high press more effective than having Kovacic+Kante or Jorginho+Kante.

Yes, Mount on the bench because Kai can solve a game by his own.

Why Giroud? Because he wins the aerial battles and supports Kai and Pulisic.

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Huge game. A win here would boost the squad and Lampard so much, so I hope we make a good gameplan for them.

I'm not really for playing with a back 3 lineup but maybe if we want to win this game tactically we should really deploy Azpilicueta, T.Silva and Zouma while James and Chilwell play in a bit more advanced role.

Mendy

Azpilicueta T.Silva Zouma

James                             Chilwell

Kovacic 

Ziyech       Havertz        Pulisic

Giroud     

This lineup would win us the game, I'm sure of it since I have seen both Ziyech and Pulisic coming in the more central role and deep.

Bring in Mount, Kante and Werner from the bench or Jorginho, CHO, Mount, ManUtd must not get a chance to break our defense, this lineup with Kovacic as the base of the midfield automatically makes our high press more effective than having Kovacic+Kante or Jorginho+Kante.

Yes, Mount on the bench because Kai can solve a game by his own.

Why Giroud? Because he wins the aerial battles and supports Kai and Pulisic.

Feel sorry for Kovacic.

Believe it or not but Manchester United are arguably the best counter attacking team in the league and we are incredibly vulnerable on the transition and that is one of the main reasons we dominated both games against them last season and were battered on the score line. I don't think Lampard should go with 4-2-3-1 because Jorginho and Kante are simply not good enough as a partnership to prevent the counter, Kante tends to press high as a result gets caught upfield & Jorginho lacks pace to cover. 

I would like to see us go with 4-3-3 or alternatively match United with 3-4-3, in both scenarios I would replace Kai with either Kova (4-3-3) or alternatively Azpi (3-4-3) but I would have Kova instead of Jorginho playing alongside Kante in the midfield 2.