FK Krasnodar v Chelsea (CL) Wed 28th Oct 2020 17:55 GMT

I had big hopes for Kovacic and Jorginho after watching them play togheter last season, but there was a huge difference after Mount and Kante replaced them and we went 4-3-3. We went from struggling to control the game and get past midfield, to dominating and launching attack after attack. Havertz also came alive at this point, outrunning Krasnodar players over half the field with the ball.

I'm hoping Lampard noticed this as well and we get this team against Burnley:

Mendy
James - Silva - Zouma - Chilwell
Kanté - Havertz - Mount
Ziyech - Werner - Pulisic

4 minutes ago, comtrend said:

I had big hopes for Kovacic and Jorginho after watching them play togheter last season, but there was a huge difference after Mount and Kante replaced them and we went 4-3-3. We went from struggling to control the game and get past midfield, to dominating and launching attack after attack. Havertz also came alive at this point, outrunning Krasnodar players over half the field with the ball.

Mendy
Kanté - Havertz - Mount

I would say that looks our best starting 11 right now.

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

Wouldn't say he was bad, just wouldn't say he was that good either. Just average. To be fair, he's probably a bit rusty and that was his first start for a while.

The wirst player on the pitch by far was Chillwell and not Jorgi though, agreed?

5 minutes ago, comtrend said:

Mendy
Kanté - Havertz - Mount

That 4-3-3 with the subs lamps made definitely improved us a lot. I too would like to see us maybe go with a 4-3-3 and have Mount, Kai and kante in a midfield 3, and see how we fair in a few games

Edited by Jezq8

I’m starting to believe Mendy isn’t just a good fill in but that he is indeed a top class keeper, he is very assured and it makes such a difference to the CB’s if you have someone you trust behind you and someone who will come for balls.

What you want is your CB’s not even having to think about what’s going on behind them and just deal with what’s in front of them.

I hope I’m not being premature but I like what I see a lot. 

9 minutes ago, comtrend said:

Mendy
Kanté - Havertz - Mount

People grossly underestimate mount and his work rate he is our best player off the ball, I would have him with kante all day, but I also like Kova with kante, I rated Jorginho but he hasn’t been producing at all this season it seems this set up doesn’t suit him 

Good performance today, maybe not quite worthy of a 4-0 but I'd say not far off ... May need this because I think GD could be important in this group and the result should give the whole squad the confidence they need. You never know we might also get a break from all the naysayers online 🤞

17 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

You were saying? 'blah blah blah 3rd most valuable squad in the Russian league' did you have to Google or Wiki Krasnodar before this comment? Then come in with your uneducated opinion trying to look clever and knowledgeable...how clever do you feel know? Next time have some faith.

Did you watch the game? 

56 minutes ago, Jangz said:

yup his presence is big.. for starters our defenders are not nervous about corners.. since with his reach no one puts it in the 6 yard box.. giving more of our players a chance to clear.. and then he looks no nonsense with his passing.. and he is big.

You could have pointed out that his size is a factor.

18 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

You were saying? 'blah blah blah 3rd most valuable squad in the Russian league' did you have to Google or Wiki Krasnodar before this comment? Then come in with your uneducated opinion trying to look clever and knowledgeable...how clever do you feel know? Next time have some faith.

To be fair he had a point. They had 3 starters injured and one isolating because of the coronavirus. They were a good match for Rennes and Honestly the 4-0 scoreline flattered us , lets not forget that they hit the crossbar with the score 1-0 and we scored 3 goals in the last 15 minutes. Great victory for us though.

Up the Chels

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

Flattering score line to be honest. Looked ragged and sloppy for most of the game despite the possession; any other keeper for us and we might be leaving there with our tail between our legs.  

And if we had Mendy last season we'd have finished 2nd (or close too), won the FA Cup and probably be unbeaten (possibly even top of the league) so far this season.

If, buts and maybe's work both ways.

Edited by Argo

17 minutes ago, Argo said:

And if we had Mendy last season we'd have finished 2nd (or close too), won the FA Cup and probably be unbeaten (possibly even top of the league) so far this season.

If, buts and maybe's work both ways.

True enough...we should have won the cup anyway IMO..gave that away to the Gooners. 

1 hour ago, TomCFC85 said:

I retract any previous statement I made about a Kovacic and Jorginho pairing.

They were average tonight for sure. Cho was also average despite goal. Rudigier only one miss kick was good. Ziyech improved through the game. Werner looked tired. Havertz one give away otherwise good.. thought Tammy looked sharp when he come on as did Pulisic. Overall the result a lot better than the performance. Mendy good. Manu now killing Leipzig. 

4-0 and top the group, a good day in my book.

Lamp should stop experimenting with the lineup and stick with the 4-3-3 with Pulisic as the attacking LW and Mount somewhere in the midfield.

This team can benefit greatly with both Pulisic and Mount on the field together, in their proper positions.

It wasn’t great, the 4 probably flatters us, but the NIL is significant I feel . Not conceding isn’t the be all , but a good confidence booster for the whole team and the defence in particular.

Rudiger and Zouma didn’t look awful, actually think they played ok as did Azpi and Chilwell and I agree with some others, that playing in front of a competent goalkeeper helps massively.

Think we have CB pairing permutations that work - preference is Silva and Zouma - he is so so powerful , but if Rudiger had to pair with either I wouldn’t have panic attacks , especially with Mendy playing behind them. Need to bring on Tomori now.

Until the 71st minute changes nothing much worked going forward, it was very bitty and disjointed, individually Ziyech being the exception, he was decent and with more minutes played, he will, I think, be very good for us.

The changes, I felt, seemed to improve Havertz  - there were glimpses of real talent and promise - fingers crossed, but up until the substitutions, he was poor ? 

How could we ever have doubted or denied a German taking penalties ? He gets my vote over skippy ? Always felt that Michael Ballack was our best penalty taker, but Frank was never having a bar of that !! 

Finally, I’ve said before that I thought my mate Kepa was valueless and that no one would sign him up , but after tonight’s goalkeeping masterclass from the Russian keeper, there IS hope for him after all - I really, genuinely do hope so.

Fun game, they gave us a good game, and to be fair should have equalised in the second half. We finally had a glimpse of whats Werner\Ziyech\Pullisic\Havetz together on the field, and looked promising. Mendy could turn out to be our signing of the season, pretty sure we'd conceded if that was another GK in goal. CHO took his chances well, always felt we looked more balanced with a wide player playing in natural position. Germans are good with penalties, enough said. Ziyech will be a hit once he fits into the team, just looked so calm and decisive with everything he does.

Did Frank just stumble across his best midfield combo in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (fluid).  That being Kante, Mount and Havertz.  We moved the ball so much better through the middle with this.  Ok, late in the game and open spaces, but still.

Jorginho and Kovacic just aren't good enough. It's just an important an area to fix in the market as the back has been. Provide no physical presence in there and neither pass the ball well enough. Have their moments at times but they're not the kind of players you win titles or Champions Leagues with.