A Topic About Refs, VAR and PGMOL.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

sorry my bad

a week ago the same c**t who calls himself a reff gives a pen for this sh*t - 0:20 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yikb6fEDs2I

Obviously told by Mike Riley that was far too soft a challenge by Lamptey to be awarded a pen, and that if there's any repeat this weekend that would harm his beloved Manure, he'd be demoted to League 2.

Edited by Backbiter
22 hours ago, dkw said:

I just saw it again and cannot think of a single reason why VAR didn't give it, not a single one other than they are corrupt w**kers. 

Every dermot Gallagher on sky, who normally backs refs and VAR to the hilt, said he could not understand how VAR could see that and should need just one single replay to see it was a clear pen.

Having VAR and review in football is a great idea and should be implemented, but with that being said, the way they are using - or not using - it is completely ridiculous. At least the match official is now going and looking at the damn monitor instead of not looking at the incident his self and just trusting the VAR official to make the right call.

They said that VAR looked at the OBVIOUS penalty against Maguire and they determined it wasn't a penalty... I honestly don't understand how these people got to the position they are in to make decisions regarding fouls. Do they honestly know the rules of football? Do they know that you are not supposed to wrap your arms around a players shoulders so that that player cannot make an attempt on the ball?

It just baffles me to the point to where it isn't even baffling anymore. You just shake your head and mutter to yourself shaking your head, "Well, that isn't surprising."

It's a clear bias and cheating. How can man utd get so many penalties, many of which are very debatable and dodgy, but when we go to old Trafford and its against them, its a screw job. We all saw what happened with Maguire last time around, and then disallowing Zouma's goal as well. The thing that really showed them up to be corrupt was how the var check basically took place in a split second for the headlock, but then they overly replayed the one on Rashford. You had Gary Neville dismissing the Maguire one and saying he thought Rashford's could be given. Straight after the break they only mentioned the one on Rashford, and it was only after Evra And Jimmy Floyd put them in their place and said it wasent a penalty but the Maguire one was clear and obvious, that the narrative changed. Then all of a sudden sky kept mentioning how wasen't the one for us given.

This is unfortunately what we have to deal with constantly. There are obvious errors going against us, really impacting results. However, if it goes against Man Utd or Liverpool, theres a massive deal made about it by the clubs themselves and the media. I honestly think if it wasen't Maguire involved, this incident would of been completely swept under the rug. 

Edited by Oli
spelling
10 minutes ago, Oli said:

Watch it again, he made multiple excuses to suggest it wasen't a penalty

i cant watch it again, but check out the match thread we had this discussion and he said Maguire got away with one, which is about as close as he gets to saying it would of been a penalty.

On 24/10/2020 at 20:44, Sindre said:

There is clear United-bias from VAR. There is a reason they get away with the the stuff they do and the amount of penalties they get.

Just against us Maguire have gotten away with kicking Batshuayi in the nuts and chokeslamming Azpilicueta. Both with VAR and both nothing given. 

VAR have a duty, as do the premier League to have a strong challenging United team, even with a sh*t team they have at present, and total clown of a manager, the armchair fans of United from across the world, from Asia to South America to Australia have to be kept interested, money talks.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone familiar with my post history on this forum will know that I have been anti-VAR from the very beginning. Growing up in Australia I have been surrounded by sports that embrace video refeering (cricket, rugby and AFL) who have all had many, many video referee controveries over the decades. The same arguments, concerns and outrage plays out across the various sports with the same tired allegations of corruption, unfairness, bias and incompetency. Yet these are the sorts of debates that VAR was supposed to 'solve'.

There is a mathematical problem with any video review system known as the problem of multiple comparisons. Simply put, the more comparison points you have in a system, the more likely any given one of these will be in error.  This is a fundamental, unavoidable problem in statistics and the only solution is to minimise the overall error rate by reducing the error rate of the individual, first-level comparisons. In the context of VAR, this means it is mathematically impossible to improve the accuracy of VAR without improving the accuracy of the field referees first.

Assistive technology works really where there is an outcome with minimal room for discretion (eg Goal Line technology, Hawkeye in Tennis or runouts in cricket) but the moment any sort of discretion is required, it eventually falls apart (eg VAR, DRS in cricket)

To that extent, you have to wonder what the point of VAR is - in other sports, it is merely a vehicle to sell additional sponsorship time.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

10 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Anyone familiar with my post history on this forum will know that I have been anti-VAR from the very beginning. Growing up in Australia I have been surrounded by sports that embrace video refeering (cricket, rugby and AFL) who have all had many, many video referee controveries over the decades. The same arguments, concerns and outrage plays out across the various sports with the same tired allegations of corruption, unfairness, bias and incompetency. Yet these are the sorts of debates that VAR was supposed to 'solve'.

There is a mathematical problem with any video review system known as the problem of multiple comparisons. Simply put, the more comparison points you have in a system, the more likely any given one of these will be in error.  This is a fundamental, unavoidable problem in statistics and the only solution is to minimise the overall error rate by reducing the error rate of the individual, first-level comparisons. In the context of VAR, this means it is mathematically impossible to improve the accuracy of VAR without improving the accuracy of the field referees first.

Assistive technology works really where there is an outcome with minimal room for discretion (eg Goal Line technology, Hawkeye in Tennis or runouts in cricket) but the moment any sort of discretion is required, it eventually falls apart (eg VAR, DRS in cricket)

To that extent, you have to wonder what the point of VAR is - in other sports, it is merely a vehicle to sell additional sponsorship time.

I personally believe DRS works incredibly well in Cricket especially with Umpires decision being given priority alongside the captain having the ability to challenge a questionable call.

I think football should adopt a similar approach where the Captain/Manager has the ability to challenge a decision with teams having 1 Challenge per match (Challenges being lost after an unsuccessful challenge). I think this method eradicates a lot of the controversy around VAR and helps with the flow of the game, teams will not challenge 50/50 decisions and will most likely preserve them for obvious errors & if a ref makes an error and they've wasted a call and cannot challenge then it falls on the team and not the officials.

I think more importantly it will hugely limit the amount of time spent reviewing every single minor misdemeanor, for example I cannot see Man U wasting a review on that challenge on Rashford against us in the box however we may have asked for the ref to check the Maguires duel with Azpi which may have got the scrutiny it required.

14 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I personally believe DRS works incredibly well in Cricket especially with Umpires decision being given priority alongside the captain having the ability to challenge a questionable call.

I think football should adopt a similar approach where the Captain/Manager has the ability to challenge a decision with teams having 1 Challenge per match (Challenges being lost after an unsuccessful challenge). I think this method eradicates a lot of the controversy around VAR and helps with the flow of the game, teams will not challenge 50/50 decisions and will most likely preserve them for obvious errors & if a ref makes an error and they've wasted a call and cannot challenge then it falls on the team and not the officials.

I think more importantly it will hugely limit the amount of time spent reviewing every single minor misdemeanor, for example I cannot see Man U wasting a review on that challenge on Rashford against us in the box however we may have asked for the ref to check the Maguires duel with Azpi which may have got the scrutiny it required.

DRS for the most part has helped in some areas and been controversial in others. It is a mixed bag, same as any assistive technology. There has been plenty of DRS controversy with the same issues raised as VAR in the last 18 months, let alone the last 5-6 years.

I too prefer the 'challenge' approach but it would be difficult to implement practically in football, given that a Captain can be any player in any position on the pitch and therefore can't observe the game fully. 

But, it doesn't fully eradicate controversy. It never will until VAR is infallible - and as long as humans make decisions, there will always be a margin of error as described above.

To me the central issue becomes the fact that no one agrees on the true purpose of VAR and everyone has different expectations that often change through the course of time. The moment people expect VAR to resolve controversy is the moment it becomes pointless because it can never achieve that, and if that's the case we just need to go back to accepting the referee's decision.