Chelsea v Rennes (CL) Wed 4th Nov 2020 20:00 GMT

Two big questions for me;

Should we rest T.Silva?

Should we rest Pulisic even if he is OK?

This team is probably better than Krasnodar, Sevilla only had a narrow win against them but better rested key players give us more chances to win against the Blades...

7 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Should we rest T.Silva?

This team is probably better than Krasnodar, Sevilla only had a narrow win against them but better rested key players give us more chances to win against the Blades...

Good questions. 

We cannot afford to fail to beat Rennes in the home game, so we need to pick a very strong side.

For me that would mean Silva plays but I would not risk Pulisic.

The blades are not at it yet. They have had a very difficult start to the season but would have expected to deliver better against Villa, Leeds and especially Fulham. Their attack has been a real let down so I think of Silva needs a game off I would pick that one for him.

For this game I would make 3 changes to the Burnley side:

Mendy

Azpi

Zouma

Silva

Chilwell

Kante

Havertz

Mount

Zyiech

Giroud

CHO

Edited by axman2526
10 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Should we rest T.Silva?

Yes rest them both. We should be winning even without them. Just play Rudiger and CHO or Werner on the wing. 

Rudiger proved himself against Krasnodar, I think he deserves to get another chance. Thiago Silva in the last seconds had little problem, I'd prefer to rest him as well. 

In Champions League everything possible, our start against Krasnodar was poor and they actually could score once or twice against us, also Rennes doesn't concede a lot of goals in one game. Maximum was two goals. 

We're in good form now, top defending and Ziyech's on fire, we have to win this game and should not create problems to ourselves. Let's get a proper preparation for this match!

---------------- Mendy ---------------

Azpilicueta - Zouma - Rudiger - Chilwell

--------------- Kante -----------

----- Mount ---------- Havertz -------

Ziyech ------- Werner ------- Hudson Odoi

Our midfield of Kante, Mount and Havertz should play as much as possible, Havertz needs to push higher, he has the ability to score all he need is to try more, Mount should run the game in possession and control. Kante should do Kante.

I'd prefer not to risk Pulisic, give CHO a run. Azpilicueta and Rudiger back in defence like against Krasnodar. 

COME ON CHELS!!!!

4 hours ago, coco said:

We have another 2 week break after the blades game, so we can probably get away with not resting anyone unless we really have to.

Agree that there is no need to rest players and I’m a lot more comfortable with Rudiger playing these days especially if Mendy is in goal.

Annoyingly, Brazil have 2 games during the break, the last one on 17th, which ends in the early hours of 18th GMT  -  we play on Saturday 21st in a 12.30 lunchtime ko in Newcastle  - imagine that rules Silva out ? 

5 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Agree that there is no need to rest players and I’m a lot more comfortable with Rudiger playing these days especially if Mendy is in goal.

Annoyingly, Brazil have 2 games during the break, the last one on 17th, which ends in the early hours of 18th GMT  -  we play on Saturday 21st in a 12.30 lunchtime ko in Newcastle  - imagine that rules Silva out ? 

Will he be allowed to travel to Brazil during a lockdown ? not sure.

5 minutes ago, coco said:

Will he be allowed to travel to Brazil during a lockdown ? not sure.

Oh, good point ? so maybe only domestic playing players ? 

I don’t have a clue , but I’m guessing most of Brazil’s international team play in Europe ? 

2 more games until another boring break. Rest be damned ! The team & formation picks itself. Need 3 points to keep Sevilla away from first, going top of group for better KO draw should be short term target along w top 6. Pulisic seems doubtful for this one, hopefully good for weekend.  Should be able to get the home win and top the group, goal difference is also a factor as Sevilla may batter the ruskies 

It looked like Sevilla wow all over Rennes despite only winning by 1 to zero. That’s going on 5 minutes of highlights. Rennes have  a good goalie and seemed to attack using crosses from the right

personally I’d play Tammy again   I think we will get space in this game  🙂

7 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Mendy

Azpi Rudiger Zouma Emerson

Kante mount havertz

Ziyech abraham CHO

Small amount of rotation for this game, keep the middle 3. Should be more than enough to win the game. 

I dunno bisright, that’s 5 changes from Saturday’s starting 11 - what’s the old adage, you don’t change a winning team ? 

We’ve got two home games before the international break, so no or minimal travelling involved, I would stick with the starting 11 from the Burnley game and let them play together again, let them get used to who’s playing and where, player’s need to play together regularly in real games not just training - it develops intuitive behaviour and relationships, besides, it not just us lot that are eulogising about Saturday’s performance , the players will be too, they know that the team ‘clicked’ and the formation and team selected worked - I think it’s important to be consistent in team selection, form and injuries allowing.

For me, keep the 11 that started Saturday and make changes , depending on how the match is going, a little earlier that usual with Sheffield in mind - the one exception is maybe Silva , but when goes on international duty does he get rested ? 

32 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I dunno bisright, that’s 5 changes from Saturday’s starting 11 - what’s the old adage, you don’t change a winning team ? 

We’ve got two home games before the international break, so no or minimal travelling involved, I would stick with the starting 11 from the Burnley game and let them play together again, let them get used to who’s playing and where, player’s need to play together regularly in real games not just training - it develops intuitive behaviour and relationships, besides, it not just us lot that are eulogising about Saturday’s performance , the players will be too, they know that the team ‘clicked’ and the formation and team selected worked - I think it’s important to be consistent in team selection, form and injuries allowing.

For me, keep the 11 that started Saturday and make changes , depending on how the match is going, a little earlier that usual with Sheffield in mind - the one exception is maybe Silva , but when goes on international duty does he get rested ? 

My changes are 

James for Azpi, I think Azpi has to play one of the three. 

Rudiger for silva, no brainer. He has to travel to brazil for international duty, he will be playing. 

Emerson for chilwell - I think we should avoid overplaying chilwell on return from injury 

CHO for Werner - werner needs a break. 

I think it's more than enough to beat Rennes. I don't think they have the offense to trouble that defence and the midfield is largely staying in tact from Saturday and should be strong enough. 

Edited by bisright1
8 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

My changes are 

James for Azpi, I think Azpi has to play one of the three. 

Rudiger for silva, no brainer. He has to travel to brazil for international duty, he will be playing. 

Emerson for chilwell - I think we should avoid overplaying chilwell on return from injury 

CHO for Werner - werner needs a break. 

I think it's more than enough to beat Rennes. I don't think they have the offense to trouble that defence and the midfield is largely staying in tact from Saturday and should be strong enough. 

Yeah, I never thought the result v Rennes was necessarily the issue, more that the 11 that played v Burnley should continue from where they left off on Saturday.

The resting Silva at club but not international level is somewhat of a dichotomy for me, because assuming he plays v Sheff Utd on Saturday, then flies 9000 kms @ 14 hours flight time to Brazil who then play 14/11 v Venezuela and then 3 days later play away to Uruguay 17/11 - game finishes 18/11 (another almost 6000 kms return flight) - presumably he plays both, then flies 9000 kms back to the UK , landing ??  Is he available for the Saturday 17th November lunchtime ko away to Newcastle,  I don’t imagine that he will be, most of us would be bollocksed after a schedule like that !! 

I understand that he wants to play for Brazil and that his contract releases him, but if he can play back to back games for Brazil with all the travelling involved, then why not for Chelsea ? 

Anyways, as Coco has pointed out, maybe he won’t be able to travel with all the recent worldwide Covid protocols ? 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Yeah, I never thought the result v Rennes was necessarily the issue, more that the 11 that played v Burnley should continue from where they left off on Saturday.

The resting Silva at club but not international level is somewhat of a dichotomy for me, because assuming he plays v Sheff Utd on Saturday, then flies 9000 kms @ 14 hours flight time to Brazil who then play 14/11 v Venezuela and then 3 days later play away to Uruguay 17/11 - game finishes 18/11 (another almost 6000 kms return flight) - presumably he plays both, then flies 9000 kms back to the UK , landing ??  Is he available for the Saturday 17th November lunchtime ko away to Newcastle,  I don’t imagine that he will be, most of us would be bollocksed after a schedule like that !! 

I understand that he wants to play for Brazil and that his contract releases him, but if he can play back to back games for Brazil with all the travelling involved, then why not for Chelsea ? 

Anyways, as Coco has pointed out, maybe he won’t be able to travel with all the recent worldwide Covid protocols ? 

I wouldn't be surprised that playing for brazil with no questions was part of the discussion about joining us. 

9 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised that playing for brazil with no questions was part of the discussion about joining us. 

Yeah, think you’re correct, it almost certainly would have been one of his first stipulations.