Is it too early to start dreaming a dream about a new title?

Gol15

Yes we have only 4 wins in 8 games but we should consider that we really needed some time to implement 6 new players in the starting lineup, our rivals didn't need to do anything close to that.

Our only loss was against Liverpool after Christensen got sent off, those kind of things and games where we simply lose the game by our own means are starting to look like bad, distant memories.

We have scored the most goals so far out of all PL teams (we also don't miss many clear chances anymore):

ChelseaStat2.thumb.png.02ce38551e48344cdcc62359d74853b2.png

We have had the most touches:

ChelseaStat1.thumb.png.7f049eca1bb6ff0a2e17ee0bfb0e6459.png

Which in turn reflects on the sheer number of our passes:

ChelseaStat3.thumb.png.5f1ff608a2f8731525a6e7bfe56fa004.png

Almost at the top when it comes to clean sheets (which was simply impossible to consider last season):

ChelseaStat4.thumb.png.ae1d016650b787a4a16324a99f5f7fae.png

Now if we compare some of our attacking and defensive stats against the defending champions* Liverpool we see that we are very much close to them. We are actually better in tackles made and goal-created chances but they have one game less, even so it's interesting to see because one of our games was already against them which we lost with a player less and that game particularly puts down our stats a whole lot but even so we are looking pretty good:

ChelseaStat5.thumb.png.f2ca8c42142edd05a06fc16e53f3eeb4.png

ChelseaStat6.thumb.png.ddb0c57f172371b45f03d13582c9cbc3.png

As for the goal-created chances:

ChelseaStat7.thumb.png.573a8c99b0f12690a64e6244887bb2f8.png

ChelseaStat8.thumb.png.efcd066778148cdabf71a89ad0f674c4.png

The season is long and hard matches are still ahead of us, but there are so many promising signs that we might just be ready for any challenge that comes our way. If we manage to keep Mendy, Chilwell and T.Silva injury-free we could be looking as a contender for the title. KTBFFH

lion leo GIF by CSULondon Football GIF by Chelsea FC

Edited by Gol15

Great Post!

I am still reserving judgement until we play Spurs, so far against the 2 top 6 sides we've played we haven't managed to score which has resulted in a loss to Liverpool and a draw against United where Mendy was our best player.

However having said that it seems like we've gone up a gear since those games and having Ziyech on the right alongside our attacking options on the left has completely changed our attacking outlook.

I’m interested to see if we can produce a really solid defence game. The clean sheets that we have kept have been against poor teams (even United played it safe). Once I know we can do that, then I’ll start thinking that we can challenge for the title. 

Yes, our attack has looked more potent, displaying was more different threats than last season, and our defence looks way more stable, but let's not get carried away.

We've only beaten one team that's currently in the top half and that's Crystal Palace. We've beaten Krasnodar, Burnley, Rennes and Sheffield United in our nice little run at the moment. Not exactly top competition. Whenever we went up against a decent team this season (Pool, Sevilla, Man Utd, Soton) we didn't look great.

Also this team has shown that it's prone to inconsistency in the past.

So, I think the right way to approach this is cautious optimism. It's way too early to talk about title challenges.

Edited by True Blue23

I personally think it’s a season too early for a title push unless we are injury free with certain key players.

After getting rid of the deadwood and replacing with a couple of promising youth players or decent squad members, trimming down the squad and you never know what next season could bring.

This season will be fun for sure but I’d be concerned about any match where we had to use for example Kepa, Emerson and Christensen in the same match.

I truly believe you’re as good as your weakest member of your team and any match where your substitutes  are significantly worse than the player he’s replacing will be noticeable.

So for me a top 4 finish without finishing 30 odd points behind the champions would be a decent season.

Like I said it will be fun season with ups and downs.

Remember even the media favourite Klopp took years to shape his squad.

Managing player fitness is probably going to be the hardest thing for clubs involved in Europe this season. 

We've got 12 fixtures from returning from the international break until January 2nd. Thankfully we got the trip to Russia out of the way already. 

But the 9 league fixtures during that run include top 4 rivals Spurs, Arsenal, Man City. Plus current top 10 sides Wolves, Everton and Aston Villa. The remaining 3 games being against Newcastle, Leeds and West Ham. 

Lampard has been quite pragmatic in his approach to games against top 6 sides so far this season but we need to show some more ambition in those games going forward if we want to mount a push for a higher placed finish than last season. 

Too early for me. Think we’re going to have many good days, like yesterday. We’ll deal with lower teams with more ease, but there is still a long way to go. I’m not sure they have the tactical discipline or ability level to compete at the very top yet. 

We’re building something though. Top 3 is my thought with the gap above closed significantly. Also have a feeling we’re going on a champions league run this year. 

How do people feel the race for top 4 is looking so far? Liverpool, City and Spurs all look very good at present and even Arsenal look strong. That’s not mentioning Leicester as well. We will need to be consistent to get top 4, never mind a title push. 

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

How do people feel the race for top 4 is looking so far? Liverpool, City and Spurs all look very good at present and even Arsenal look strong. That’s not mentioning Leicester as well. We will need to be consistent to get top 4, never mind a title push. 

Not anymore !

On 08/11/2020 at 21:23, Bluesince66 said:

We definitely need another couple of transfer windows and time before we can even consider challenging for the title,were on a great run but there will still be ups and downs. 

Don't think we 'need' any more transfer windows with Gilmour and Gallagher looking to step up. But perhaps one winger/midfielder may help. We just need time with this squad.

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

Don't think we 'need' any more transfer windows with Gilmour and Gallagher looking to step up. But perhaps one winger/midfielder may help. We just need time with this squad.

I feel we need two defenders. Silva is a fantastic stop gap but not a long term solution. I don’t think any of our other CB’s are good enough to play consistently at the level we want to be at. 

19 hours ago, Uno said:

I feel we need two defenders. Silva is a fantastic stop gap but not a long term solution. I don’t think any of our other CB’s are good enough to play consistently at the level we want to be at. 

This is what I think to,a couple of defenders and I would like rice as well.

• 2 months later...