RIP Maradona

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Absolute genius on the pitch. Labelled for his blatant handball against England though possibly scored the best ever world cup goal in the same match. I queued up all night for a ticket for the ManU v Barcelona match in 1984 to see him, only for him to have an average match on the night though he came close to scoring in the final minutes if I remember right. RIP Diego...possibly the greatest of all time.

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

I think only English people of certain generations give a monkeys about that to be fair. 

I am of that generation and to be honest the man was a football genius. I am sure if Paul Gascoigne had done the same thing at Italia 90 and gotten away with it England football fans would have applauded his cunning and creativity. Yes he cheated but for f**ks sake what kind of sh*t referee was officiating that day, what inept linesman failed to see it. His second goal against England showed a real gulf in class. I’ve moved on and my only regret about him was I never saw him play in the flesh. 

With Germany,  Argentina are England’s greatest rivals, so I suppose I should hate him, but have to say his football ability you can only admire, remember settling down on that Sunday evening in June 1986, I was 17, and during the next two hours saw the two most iconic goals of all time. That second goal is still the only goal I can really say has ever taken my breath away, watching it as it happened it seemed as if in slow motion, and you were praying an England player would take him out. That goal on a sh*t pitch, when players could tackle any how they liked at the time, and past the best keeper in the world, mesmerising, but heartbreaking as well, and he did same v Belgium in semi final. First World Cup I ever watched was 1978 and Argentina had Kempes, Lukay etc, but there was already talk of this teenager coming through then, in 1982 he got sent off v Brazil, and I as 13 year old thought we won’t hear of him again, role on 1986 and the rest is history, the greatest in my eyes, even though he hated England