Sevilla v Chelsea (CL) Wed 2nd Dec 2020 20:00 GMT

coco

What a sweet night, what a way to beat Sevilla and show them which team is the best in the group!

Class performance by Giroud. All the team put a great performance tonight, Sevilla at home is not an easy team and winning there you have a lot of work to do and we made it.

4 goals, clean sheet, top of the group. What can we expect more from today? COME ON CHELS!!!!!

Before this game I wasn't that confident believe it or not. I thought we escaped it against Rennes, it was quite an even game that one. Didn't expect this result though at all, I thought it would've been a draw or a 2-1 win. They didn't trouble us much at all besides maybe the last 10 minutes of the first half, once the 2nd went in, it was game over. 

3 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Props to Mendy for keeping a clean sheet with a brand new back 4. May be the problem wasnt our defenders last season.lol

It's looking more and more the case that Kepa was the main culprit last season. 

I don't think it's just Mendy though, I think there are multiple factors but Mendy is no doubt the main one for sure. 

Perhaps with Kepa in goal the defence just completely lost their confidence? I know at times when we used to really control games, you would have a moment where Zaha would try his luck from far out and BOOM, they score, Palace gain confidence, and it's game on when we were already 2-0 up. That happened quite a lot, a Kepa error lead to a goal and it gave the other team belief. 

It's not the case anymore thank god. 

Brilliant all round team performance and delighted for Giroud. Tammy was definitely set to start on Saturday, even if Giroud scored one but now Giroud put on that display, almost a certainty he will start on Saturday. Good thing also is most of our usual 11 got a very good rest. Was hoping he wouldn't bring on Werner at all but at least the team against Leeds will be completely fresh and Krasnador next week, the team can be rotated fully again and we can see Gilmour starting. Brilliant man management from Frank.

What a great game, considering how many second string players we put on the field. Somebody said here this game will show why Tammy deserves to play ahead of Giroud, He must read it and shut it up with the unreal performance. All the players did their part, even Emerson and Christensen looked good. Havetz stepped up and put a claim for starting spot, Pullisic got a real game under his belt and looked comfortable. So many positives, even it was kind of a dead rubber game.

What a performance and result.  The team took a step forward tonight, and are growing.  Giroud is a class act and never lets us down.

What I like the most is watching player reactions to goals, tackles or subs.  There is a togetherness and camaraderie forming, and respect amongst the players.  No one player is bigger than the team and it shows.  Players like Silva arriving with such humility ground the others pretty quickly, and seem a far cry from the egos of Courtois and Willian.  All of this makes me believe players really want to come to Chelsea again to be part of this (beyond the money and London).

I am just catching up with this thread and a few observations. 

- whilst I admit it was a hefty amount of changes in the lineup, the amount of negativity before KO in this thread was disturbing. 

- We have fantastic squad depth and ability to adapt when everyone is fit. 

- Sevilla are better than they showed tonight but that doesn't take away from the fact we were superb 

- Another clean sheet. I forgot what they were 6 months ago. 

- Giroud is borderline World class and vastly underrated. Not a knee jerk from tonight. Whenever he is called upon, he has delivered. He's practically the white Drogba he's so powerful in the box. He must start vs Leeds. 

- Lampard will be delighted that so many changes yielded such an emphatic away result. 

That's my 2 pence worth. 

Edited by Itsintheblood89

57 minutes ago, Itsintheblood89 said:

I am just catching up with this thread and a few observations. 

- whilst I admit it was a hefty amount of changes in the lineup, the amount of negativity before KO in this thread was disturbing. 

- We have fantastic squad depth and ability to adapt when everyone is fit. 

- Sevilla are better than they showed tonight but that doesn't take away from the fact we were superb 

- Another clean sheet. I forgot what they were 6 months ago. 

- Giroud is borderline World class and vastly underrated. Not a knee jerk from tonight. Whenever he is called upon, he has delivered. He's practically the white Drogba he's so powerful in the box. He must start vs Leeds. 

- Lampard will be delighted that so many changes yielded such an emphatic away result. 

That's my 2 pence worth. 

Some of the pre-match moaners are arguably the most annoying of the lot. How can you moan before knowing how the team plays/what the result is? It’s not just being negative, it feels too much like a desire to say ‘I told you so’ afterwards if it goes tits up.

What can you say about that? Fantastic display by the team.

So very, very wrong in the end as the defence played well and Sevilla gave Mendy the night off basically. We were wrong on that Munkworth.

What a display for Giroud. If he is fit you have to start him against Leeds. How can you drop a striker after he scores 4 at the Europa league holders?