Chelsea v FK Krasnodar (CL) Tues 8th Dec 2020 20:00 GMT

20 minutes ago, SaS said:

Funnily enough, there has been a way to identify footballers since the late 1930s - they have numbers on their back...

My bad, just saw that it was a member of the backroom staff - but still no need to describe him by the colour of his skin...

Initially I didn't know what happen. 

That ref should be removed from his position even if it's a normality to talk like that in his country or whatever, he's clearly not suited for CL at the very least.

3 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

The problem is it wasn't a player it was the assistant coach of the turkish team who is a black person. When the 4th official was asked who the red card was for he said it was for the black guy on the bench. To be honest and diplomatic i can see it the problem from both perspectives. I can understand why Demba would be angry, especially with the whole Black lives Matter stuff going on but i can also see it from the referees perspective who was just trying to identify the person and since all the other members of the coach staff were white it would be (easier) to identify him as the black guy. It is like if it was a female assistant coach and he said he gave the red card to the woman. Not that i agree with what he did but i cant see it from both perspectives and i think it was just a lazy mode of communication and not Intended Racial abuse

This is it?  He said the card was on the black dude.  Am I missing something here?  Surely this isn’t the whole story.

Pretty remarkable drop in quality to me in this game.  Bit of a nothing game all round really, so sure that played a part.  Would like to have seen more from Tammy and Kai.  Many of those players were last seasons core, and quite underwhelming (but an important part of the squad nonetheless).

Bring out the big guns for Everton.

1 hour ago, DumbYank said:

This is it?  He said the card was on the black dude.  Am I missing something here?  Surely this isn’t the whole story.

This was supposedly what the mics picked up, but there had also been allegations that a form of the “n” word was used.

Hmm, some people saying this was like last year's Chelsea. Don't think so at all... We were a bit flat but we were very cohesive for a team that's barely played together competitively. Our midfield left too much space too often but I felt that both Kova and Gilmour had instructions to try and attack as much as possible. So far from our best performance but one that showed even our 2nd/3rd string can dominate a 3rd place outfit in the Champions League.

2 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Hmm, some people saying this was like last year's Chelsea. Don't think so at all... We were a bit flat but we were very cohesive for a team that's barely played together competitively. Our midfield left too much space too often but I felt that both Kova and Gilmour had instructions to try and attack as much as possible. So far from our best performance but one that showed even our 2nd/3rd string can dominate a 3rd place outfit in the Champions League.

I was one who thought it was like last years Chelsea. It just didn't have tempo and spark. It was about safe possession rather than taking the game by the scruff. There was lots of passing back when there was space to turn, no quick combos to get in behind. Lots of U shape passing out to Emerson and then back to Rudiger across to Andreas and then out to Dave rinse and repeat.

I thought it was flat and wasn't what I was expecting from a group of guys who should be desperate to get into the first xi.

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I was one who thought it was like last years Chelsea. It just didn't have tempo and spark. It was about safe possession rather than taking the game by the scruff. There was lots of passing back when there was space to turn, no quick combos to get in behind. Lots of U shape passing out to Emerson and then back to Rudiger across to Andreas and then out to Dave rinse and repeat.

I thought it was flat and wasn't what I was expecting from a group of guys who should be desperate to get into the first xi.

It wasn't last years Chelsea, there was a lot of players who played yesterday that started games last season but this game was nothing to play for. Complacency was always going to be an issue in this game because lets face it, who really cared if we lost 1-0? It meant nothing. If we had the choice to scrap this game we would. 

52 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It wasn't last years Chelsea, there was a lot of players who played yesterday that started games last season but this game was nothing to play for. Complacency was always going to be an issue in this game because lets face it, who really cared if we lost 1-0? It meant nothing. If we had the choice to scrap this game we would. 

I don’t know about last years Chelsea, but I have to disagree that the players had nothing to play for ?

What you suggest might make sense if the team that played Leeds played last night, but surely it must have meant something to the players who played in this game in respect of breaking into the match day squad, starting 11 or even their Chelsea future ? I can’t imagine it was meaningless to Billy G for example and Tammy was surely desperate to impress ?

Admittedly it was a dead rubber, but given the lack of competitive football due to COVID-19 last nights game would have been seen as invaluable to FL to blood new players, combinations and systems in a real match - no way would FL have not wanted this game played imo.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I don’t know about last years Chelsea, but I have to disagree that the players had nothing to play for ?

What you suggest might make sense if the team that played Leeds played last night, but surely it must have meant something to the players who played in this game in respect of breaking into the match day squad, starting 11 or even their Chelsea future ? I can’t imagine it was meaningless to Billy G for example and Tammy was surely desperate to impress ?

Admittedly it was a dead rubber, but given the lack of competitive football due to COVID-19 last nights game would have been seen as invaluable to FL to blood new players, combinations and systems in a real match - no way would FL have not wanted this game played imo.

Well on paper, there really wasn't. You could even see the lack of intensity from some players because there wasn't any high stakes. That's just football for you.