Everton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 12th Dec 2020 20:00 GMT

Traditionally a tough one. It is never easy to win at Goodison. The last two times we managed to do so, we won the league.

I watched them against Burnley last week and they've been really bad until switching to back 4 before half time. Even after that there were lots of individual mistakes and misplaced passes, especially by Allan and Doucoure who have given possession away a lot of times. Their defence looks shaky too, not a single clean sheet so far this season in PL.

But our biggest advantage here IMO is the pace of our attackers against Holgate and Keane. Also if Digne doesn't play Godfrey will probably be at LB which isn't his natural position. 

Don't get me wrong, they have some great individuals (DCL, James, Richarlison...) and a big name manager who has tactically very much improved the team, but even after that good start I felt people were massively overrating them as a team.

Yes they've beaten Spurs but then the next three were West Brom (with 10 men), Palace and Brighton, so they were favorites against those teams. At that point some were even expecting them to fight for a top 4 spot and the reality is they're still not at the level of Wolves and Leicester.

Expecting the 'usual' lineup for us, of course with Pulisic replacing Ziyech...

Edited by wizardous
On 09/12/2020 at 16:01, ozboy said:

Ziyech and cho injured, Giroud is old and havertz is still far short of the real deal. Pulisic is injury prone and Tammy’s a bit hit and miss. 

so we are still far from the full bottle in attack

I guess it will be Pulisic Werner and Giroud  

mount Kante and either havertz or kova in midfield  

What is the best position for havertz in this team?

In answer to your last question....on the bench at the moment....he's trying but for the most part the game is passing him by...still needs time to adjust. 

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Everton away has always been a good barometer for how we are travelling as a team. 

This is a big test, I'm interested to see how we go. 

Mendy, James, Zouma, Silva, Chilwell, Kante, Mount, Kovacic, Werner, Giroud, Pulisic.

Yeah agree with you on Everton away, being a good indicator of where we are as a team.

They are gonna be pumped up for this one after the hammering they took the last time we met. Really hope FL sticks Silva to DCL all night and shuts him down. A spanking would tickle my fancy but regardless a win is necessary.

Edited by Mouwry

I'm a little worried for this one because of how many chances we have wasted in front of the goal. I feel that we will get punished at Goodison if we are not clinical. Also, not to cast a curse or anything but we haven't lost in a while so we may be due one. 😛

I'll just cross my fingers and hope that this is not that day yet.

Mendy

James      Silva     Zouma     Chilwell

Kante   Kovacic

Mount

Havertz                             Werner

Giroud

image.png.e45e6cfa5dafa4a441f7aea196db8156.png

This was Everton's team against Burnley and Ancelotti has confirmed that Delph and Rodriguez are out injured for the game against us therefore I expect Nkounkou to come in for Delph and Bernard for Rodriguez.

I personally feel we should be battering Everton as they seem incredibly weak out wide, Iwobi is not a natural defender and Nkounkou has struggled making the squad when everyone has been fit, this certainly plays into our strengths in the wide positions. Having said that we can't afford to go behind against Everton like we did against Sheffield and Leeds as they will be better organized with the ability to hurt us up top with the quality they have through the Central areas.  

13 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

This was Everton's team against Burnley and Ancelotti has confirmed that Delph and Rodriguez are out injured for the game against us therefore I expect Nkounkou to come in for Delph and Bernard for Rodriguez.

I personally feel we should be battering Everton as they seem incredibly weak out wide, Iwobi is not a natural defender and Nkounkou has struggled making the squad when everyone has been fit, this certainly plays into our strengths in the wide positions. Having said that we can't afford to go behind against Everton like we did against Sheffield and Leeds as they will be better organized with the ability to hurt us up top with the quality they have through the Central areas.  

It's interesting how they are missing some important players, among them Digne as well but at the same time we are missing our wingers as well. Still Werner as a winger can still punish them.

12 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

Sadly we will likely only have wide players who want to play central and inside, even Anjorin does. Fingers crossed Pulisic is actually fit and healthy for this game, we'll need him. 

Just watching the sky sports videos of the greatest goals in this fixture and still to this day I'm at a loss at how we allowed Jermaine Beckford off all people to score a solo goal running from one end of the pitch to another performing FIFA street esque skill moves in the process.

Just, like, how?

56 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Everton's James is unlikely to figure with a calf strain, I would say that offsets our injuries and gives us a better chance to get 3 points. 

Handy, but I would rather it was Richarlison that was missing.

James started season well but now winter has set in with the cold & wet weather, the word is that he's gone missing.

8 hours ago, Slojo said:

Sadly we will likely only have wide players who want to play central and inside, even Anjorin does. Fingers crossed Pulisic is actually fit and healthy for this game, we'll need him. 

If we really wanted width that badly from our front 3 we know both James and Chilwell both play wide and are very handy in and around the box. 

We could comfortably play them either side of Giroud and bring on Dave and Emerson to the back line. But that would weaken use defensively and offensively from full back.

I would not risk Pulisic cause if we push him and he gets injured that leaves us with just Werner playing out wide and the actual 3 wingers crocked.

8 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

They line up 3-4-3 all the time?

No wonder they cannot keep a clean sheet, defensively that personal is horrible.

I wonder if we might see Tammy played wide right with Werner left and Giroud in the middle?

1 hour ago, The Rising Sun said:

I must say my heart sunk when I saw this headline quote from Chilwell in the Guardian today..." we feel we can't really lose " 

That is a dangerous quote at this time - please unsee that.

I had a oh s*** moment 30 mins ago when the Chelsea team news appeared on a social media feed.  I thought to myself that is way early, and then saw Kepa.  Luckily my social world is about 3 days behind reality.

1 hour ago, The Rising Sun said:

I must say my heart sunk when I saw this headline quote from Chilwell in the Guardian today..." we feel we can't really lose " 

Well I am more confident in my prediction in Zetas thread then. Cause such a comment is a kiss of death and a red flag to a bull for the opposition.