Chelsea v West Ham (PL) Mon 21st Dec 2020 20:00 GMT

coco

As Ziyech and Cho are out I actually wouldn't mind a change to 3-4-3 with James and Chilwell higher up the pitch with Werner through the middle.

Mendy

Dave    Zouma    Thiago     

James     Kovacic    Kante     Chilly

Mount             Pulisic

Werner

Edited by bakayaro

45 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I personally feel as though we need to freshen things a little and tighten up at the back again and go back to basics like we did against Man U & Sevilla, we only have 1 natural winger available in Pulisic therefore we are unable to stretch any defence with our wide players. I would opt for a 3-5-2 formation which would give us control in the middle and the wingbacks would give us the width that the team is crying out for, Chilwell and James are both capable of providing that width especially with an additional CB to cover the spaced left behind, my team would be:

Mendy

Azpi - Silva - Zouma

James - Kova - Kante- Mount - Chilly

Pulisic - Werner

I would give both Pulisic and Werner free roles up top to interchange and make runs in behind to actually hurt the opposition, both are quick and direct players and if I was a West Ham Defender I would much rather face Giroud with his hold up play rather then 2 interchanging fast forwards who are more Central.

Yeah this is my team too

Mendy

Dave - Zouma - Silva

James - Jorginho - Kante - Chilwell 

Mount - Pulisic 

Werner 

'Ti's the season... So let's play the Christmas Tree formation. 

12 - 0 Chelsea, a goal for each of the days for Christmas 

For me Frank has to stop putting square pegs on round holes. 

Werner is a centre forward, not a winger. Havertz is an orthodox number ten. If you're not going to pick a formation and team that allows them to play there then put them on the bench. 

Gilmour should be in contention with Havertz and Kovacic massively out of form and Jorginho will offer little against a West Ham team that will know to target his frailties. 

15 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I personally feel as though we need to freshen things a little and tighten up at the back again and go back to basics like we did against Man U & Sevilla, we only have 1 natural winger available in Pulisic therefore we are unable to stretch any defence with our wide players. I would opt for a 3-5-2 formation which would give us control in the middle and the wingbacks would give us the width that the team is crying out for, Chilwell and James are both capable of providing that width especially with an additional CB to cover the spaced left behind, my team would be:

Mendy

Azpi - Silva - Zouma

James - Kova - Kante- Mount - Chilly

Pulisic - Werner

I would give both Pulisic and Werner free roles up top to interchange and make runs in behind to actually hurt the opposition, both are quick and direct players and if I was a West Ham Defender I would much rather face Giroud with his hold up play rather then 2 interchanging fast forwards who are more Central.

I would play Tammy/Giroud instead of Pulisic there just so that someone can connect a header towards Werner. That way we get both presence in the air and a link-up.

I heard that Ziyech is back in training today which is good news. We need some changes for this game, getting too stale and predictable.

Mendy

Dave Zouma Silva Chilwell

Kante Jourinho 

Mount

Pulisic Abrahams Werner

If Ziyech is fit, then I would consider benching Abrahams and moving Werner into the centre.

Simply lumping balls into the box against West Ham won't work, look at our games at Everton and Wolves, we need pace and trickery.

Edited by doctorblue

44 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

I heard that Ziyech is back in training today which is good news.

Frank said in his press conference both Ziyech and CHO trained today and will assess them on Monday. I’d expect him to start with Werner, Pulisic and Giroud (maybe Abraham but Ollie grabbed another goal last match) though. Hamstrings are bastards so he may not risk them if he doesn’t have to. 

We've left ourselves in a bit of an awkward situation squad-wise.

I would normally think this was the perfect game for Giroud to start, but he's just started two games in a week. We also didn't rest Silva against Wolves (probably in reaction to the defeat at Everton), which again I think we normally would have done. Werner and Havertz are out of form, and following this we have games against Arsenal and Villa to navigate over the span of three days.

Given our lack of wide options, our need to rotate, and also to ideally stabilise our form (plus we've won one of our last six against these bar stewards), we should go for something along these lines:

----------------------------------Mendy

----------Azpilicueta---------Rüdiger----------Zouma

James---------------Kovacic-----------Kanté-------------Chilwell

---------------------------------Mount

----------------------Abraham---------Werner

I'm not 100% sold on the XI I've chosen, but I would go with that basic idea.

- Tomori would be my choice to start in that setup, but it doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon. 'Not Christensen' would be fine.

- I think that XI could do with Gilmour playing but I'm not certain where I'd put him.

- If we were ever going to rest Chilwell, playing a back three would probably be the best opportunity. I'd love to see a victorious return for Alonso.

- I think Havertz needs to be dropped for a little while. Gives us some great options off the bench: Tomori, Havertz, Gilmour, Giroud, Pulisic...