Chelsea v Man City (PL) Sun 3rd Jan 2021 16:30 GMT

coco

It's been a while since I last posted, and it's not great so where doyou start.

Lampard has to take huge responsibility, absolutely no doubt. But you can't legislate for a lack of desire and huge individual mistakes. 

Zouma always makes me nervous, I'm not convinced by him. 

Kante is not the player or is not playing in a way that offers anything above a blocker, it's not good enough.

Ziyech, spent most of the game with his hands in the air in exasperation rather than fighting for us (in fairness he wasn't alone) again not good enough.

From the Wolves 2nd half, we've shown little desire and physical toughness. Every 2nd ball/challenge we just don't seem to compete or be convinced we'll actually win. 

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but we've more things to fix at the minute than not and it's a worry.

KTBFFH

3 minutes ago, abramovich said:

My set of rules changes depending on how each Chelsea match goes. My original idea was that if by the final whistle the opponent will have scored more goals than us, the score is reversed and Chelsea is awarded full three points. The FA are yet to reply on that one, bunch of w**kers that they are.

You got my backing, doesn't mean much but must be a small comfort to know your not on your own

Just now, enigma said:

I agree with others on that Athletic piece. Wtf are they on. Who is seriously out there to bring in as coach? There was talk of Tuchel. I mean seriously? 

Yeah, I'd avoid Tuchel like the plague. This is a guy who was complaining about lack of purchases with PSG of all teams, and he doesn't seem to be all that. 

If we were to make a change I'd say we should try luring the Southampton fella but I doubt he'd like to leave them in the middle of the season. 

31 minutes ago, loz said:

Lampard is possibly less than three games from being sacked and it will be hard to disagree with that decision or, to be honest, not think Frank has done himself no favours. To buy players like Havertz and Werner and play them so badly out of position is looking for trouble. It's like when we signed Sutton, played him through the middle, but didnt play wingers. It was destined to be a disaster.

This system isn't working and too many players don't look interested or motivated. It's time to roll the dice. Bring in Gilmour. Not for 20 minutes or the odd game. Play him from the start for 8 or 9 games.

Play Havertz as a number 10 and stick with it. Based on today's performance any of the three midfielders could be dropped however I'd stick with Kante out of the three. Mount is massively off form and Kovacic probably hasn't played well for over a year. Kante has been playing well until the past few games. 

I'd be happy if Kovacic was moved on this window to be honest. No team relying on him in the centre will ever challenge for major honours on a regular basis. 

Agree with that but I still think you're too harsh and hyperbolic when it comes to Kovacic. He hasn't played well this season but over a year? Come off it. But right now he's not looking up for grabs, same for a lot of players, they look lost. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Agree with that but I still think you're too harsh and hyperbolic when it comes to Kovacic. He hasn't played well this season but over a year? Come off it. But right now he's not looking up for grabs, same for a lot of players, they look lost. 

Maybe a year is a tad harsh! I'll give you that. However overall I don't think he is worth persevering with. He would probably be fine playing in mid to bottom half of table team which is exactly where we are heading. 

I watched the first 16 mins and the second half.

Missed the three goals conceded though seen them on YouTube.

They played better than us once they got time on the ball.

Not sure if this is because we are too slow closing down or their movement to support their players under pressure is superior.

Andy Townsend on my stream thought Werner should have had a penalty. Not sure myself from the angle I saw.

Our front men and midfield were too reactive to stop them and creatively we looked like we had not played together before. 

Havertz did ok coming on he was positive and crossed well for our late consolation goal. Do we know who passed the ball to Havertz in that move?

Now did Havertz look better as City had given up pressing at 0-3, not sure.

Werner another unproductive match and the opposition this season seems to have worked out Pulisic who rarely just has one player in front of him. 

CHO took his goal well though a lot of sideways passes still and not taking on his man.

Kovacic had a couple of forays forward yet his shots were poor, we really need a midfield player centrally around the box that can crack a good shot. We did have one in Barkley though he is injured at Villa. 

Without Giroud we didn't seem to be able to take advantage of our corners either.

Now for Frank, he made subs in good time though not really effective. I thought at 0-3 he was brave in his selection of Billy and Havertz perhaps felt nothing to lose.

Now if we lose to Morecombe or to Fulham I think the pressure for a managerial change will be too great. 

Under Sarri following that 6-0 loss there were apparently clear the air meetings after which we improved though think this is more complicated with a younger group.

3 minutes ago, loz said:

Maybe a year is a tad harsh! I'll give you that. However overall I don't think he is worth persevering with. He would probably be fine playing in mid to bottom half of table team which is exactly where we are heading. 

He's offering nothing this season, so I'll let you off a bit, I can't really defend him this time. One of his worst games if not his worst I've seen though this one, looked piss poor. 

59 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

When you read a headline “job under threat after city game” 3 minutes after the city game you have to wonder how an American outlet got to know that Chelsea have internally started making plans for his replacement, meeting called, concluded and source leaked then article wrote in 3 minutes...impressive 

Faster than our forward line at least..

2 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

It was Pulisic.

He's been doing that the last couple of games. Created the pass which lead to the assist and goal.

It's almost as if you pass Pulisic the ball, something happens. 

Weird... 

Hard to believe the difference a month can make. The next game could be Frank’s last. I said last summer that, no matter how things turned out for Lamps, the future of the club is safe because of the squad we’ve built. They might not be in form now but I still believe that.

On the speculation: I wish we’d stopped being linked with Tuchel. Winning a one horse race in the French league is no indicator of a top manager and he’s done little elsewhere. Unfortunately, there aren’t many great options available.

We talk about giving managers time and to get away from this knee jerk hire and fire merry go round.  Klopp, Guardiola, etc are cited as good examples of managers being given time to build. However, in any of these and other examples of successful managers over time, each of these managers had a plan, had a style and a system and over time have obtained the players to fit the system, regardless of cost. Many people cite Klopp and Van Dijk as an example of this waiting for the right player to fit the system. But Klopp and Robertson is just as good an example.

Unfortunately we seem to have adopted some sort of top trumps approach of purchasing a collection of great players for the three main areas of the pitch and then just throwing them out there together. Any of our tactical and personnel decisions always seem to be reactive rather than proactive, which makes me think that there is no overarching plan and style that we are trying to achieve.

I think Ziyech played, unfit, simply because we have been so toothless in delivering the ball. So they (Lampard and Morris let's not forget) put an unfit Ziyech out there and didn't play a pin man like Giroud or Abraham??!! CHO scored at the end so he'll probably start next game. But surely it has to be about overall form of a period of time, not just isolated incidents here and there.

Leeds are naive at times and have often been undone  by PL teams. But Bielsa has a system and a style and if you like that as a Leeds fan, you can't really complain about the results. I am not advocating Bielsa here but i would like to see the fitness levels, work ethic and distinct pattern and style that he sticks to here that's for sure.

13 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It's almost as if you pass Pulisic the ball, something happens. 

Weird... 

I'm partial to Pulisic, still it looks like a lot of his runs go unnoticed, or noticed...yet the ball isn't sent his way. It's probably because I am watching him most of the time. I did see Timo runs that also went unnoticed.  Passing "forward" seems like a hard thing for  our players to do.   

We've given Frank a season and a half to implement some sort of style and we still have nothing apart from cross and inshallah with no signs of real improvement.

Would be a massive waste to just give him more money to spunk up the wall in bringing in Rice and whatever other white english player he wants

37 minutes ago, enigma said:

I agree with others on that Athletic piece. Wtf are they on. Who is seriously out there to bring in as coach? There was talk of Tuchel. I mean seriously? 

Someone on here mentioned Pulis earlier, next to this Tuchel looks quite good

18 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

It was Pulisic.

He's been doing that the last couple of games. Created the pass which lead to the assist and goal.

He's not creating nearly enough though, yes he passed to Chilwell that assisted to Giroud and now to Havertz but he's not really happy with his form and he's showing it during games.

He's trying but he's not really playing that well, how long ago did he score/assist anyway? 

Just now, Gol15 said:

He's not creating nearly enough though, yes he passed to Chilwell that assisted to Giroud and now to Havertz but he's not really happy with his form and he's showing it during games.

He's trying but he's not really playing that well, how long ago did he score/assist anyway? 

Been awhile - December 5th, I believe. He definitely needs to go after the ball more (defensively) - that part of his games irks me. 

6 minutes ago, driller97 said:

We've given Frank a season and a half to implement some sort of style and we still have nothing apart from cross and inshallah with no signs of real improvement.

Would be a massive waste to just give him more money to spunk up the wall in bringing in Rice and whatever other white english player he wants

WTF?

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I agreed. He's nowhere near the form that he showed us towards the end of last season.

His body languages tells us all we need to know. He's clearly frustrated with himself. He knew can do much better with the ball, however things are just not clicking for him right now. It seems his legs and body can't execute on what his brains wanted to do. I am confident that he'll come back to form, hopefully soon. Maybe a bit of rest on the bench a few games might be good for him; and Timo as well.

1 minute ago, ChelseaYank said:

Been awhile - December 5th, I believe. He definitely needs to go after the ball more (defensively) - that part of his games irks me. 

Last season we could let him run the counter attack and he was really good, this season nobody is really helping him everyone just standing around watching and he can't get into a 1v1 with a player there is always at least 2 around him. At the start of the season we knew how to isolate him against one player and to give him space, he could automatically win us a penalty but right now he's trying really hard but not really getting into a good chance, reminds me a bit of how Werner spent a few games on that side trying really hard.

9 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Leeds are naive at times and have often been undone  by PL teams. But Bielsa has a system and a style and if you like that as a Leeds fan, you can't really complain about the results. I am not advocating Bielsa here but i would like to see the fitness levels, work ethic and distinct pattern and style that he sticks to here that's for sure.

Getting spanked for 6 because of dedication to your style is as bad as having no style at all. Bielsa gets mollycoddled by the press because Leeds games are more entertaining than the average and the journos can w**k themselves off thinking how cultured they are for understanding Bielsa’s philosophy: one that’s won him practically f**k all in a 30+ year career btw.

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

His end product hasn't been good enough this year.  What we saw at the end of last year was a world class player -  maybe what he could be in a couple of years and not what he already is.

Pulisic and Werner together I'm just not sold, they are small, not gonna win in the air, and seem to be next to each other all the time occupying the same space......technically Werner is just not as good as I thought he was. His first touch isn't the best and He's not a good passer.

7 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I agreed. He's nowhere near the form that he showed us towards the end of last season.

His body languages tells us all we need to know. He's clearly frustrated with himself. He knew can do much better with the ball, however things are just not clicking for him right now. It seems his legs and body can't execute on what his brains wanted to do. I am confident that he'll come back to form, hopefully soon. Maybe a bit of rest on the bench a few games might be good for him; and Timo as well.

We're not getting him into good positions, he needs to work a lot and he ends up setting up for Chilwell or something like that, we were much better in getting him into good areas where he would attack in the box or at least have a good 1v1 situation for some valuable seconds. Look how KDB is getting into good spaces and getting into positions where he can decide what to do, Pulisic needs to work harder for that.