Fulham v Chelsea (PL) Sat 16th Jan 2021 17:30 GMT

7 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Torres got into countless one on ones and slotted them wide or passed them to the keeper 90% of the time

He didn't though, yeah he missed some but nowhere near the volume of Morata/Werner. I mean we still remember the specific Morata misses years on and will remember some of Werner's in years to come but can you pinpoint many if any serious chances of a goal Torres had before he finally opened his account for us? Or when he went on his next big goal drought under AVB? His issue was he had no tactical brain.

Edited by Argo

14 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Great observation. That's a huge reason why this team is so predictable, endless crosses into the box for no one.

I watched us closely tonight, something weird on that left wing, the ball was out there countless times, and we just seemed to play little triangle between Kova, Chilly and Pulisic, not sure what they are being coached 

14 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Torres got into countless one on ones and slotted them wide or passed them to the keeper 90% of the time

When was this? Torres missed some sitters for sure, but a lot of the time Torres was never on the end of anything. He completely lost his confidence and at one point he was playing as a playmaker and just walking around the edge of the box. 

Morata however, had a boatload of chances and kept missing, Werner is doing the same but to an even worse extent which is really scary. 

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

He didn't though, yeah he missed some but nowhere near the volume of Morata/Werner. I mean we still remember the specific Morata misses years on and will remember some of Werner's in years to come but can you pinpoint many if any serious chances of a goal Torres had before he finally opened his account for us? Or when he went on his next big goal drought under AVB? His issue was he had no tactical brain.

His issue was he was sh*t in front of goal. No I can't remember any specifics there was far too many, that's the point

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

When was this? Torres missed some sitters for sure, but a lot of the time Torres was never on the end of anything. He completely lost his confidence and at one point he was playing as a playmaker and just walking around the edge of the box. 

Morata however, had a boatload of chances and kept missing, Werner is doing the same but to an even worse extent which is really scary. 

Why does everyone keep asking exactly? This was years ago and happened all the time. Everytime he got through one and one. I realised it was Torres and thought ahh sh*t. Then one night in the semis of the CL he surprised me and actually put it away. It's what makes that goal so suprising

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Morata would of been a world beater, if every chance was a Header, the boy was class in the Air

1 minute ago, Malta Blue said:

Why does everyone keep asking exactly? This was years ago and happened all the time. Everytime he got through one and one. I realised it was Torres and thought ahh sh*t. Then one night in the semis of the CL he surprised me and actually put it away. It's what makes that goal so suprising

Yeah but the point is, is that those one on one chances were not very common. 

When we first signed him and it took him like 12 weeks to get a goal, he didn't actually have one chance until that West Ham game and he took it. He wasn't actually getting any good service, but he wasn't helping himself with that either. It was just a bad signing on all fronts, he was A: Past it, and B: Didn't suit our style of play. 

He started to comeback deep for the ball and we did get some use out of him, he was actually good when he was playing deep surprisingly, but he still never scored the goals until Rafa came and got some consistency out of him in the Europa League. Besides that I don't think Torres is the right comparison here, I think it's Morata. 

Just now, Malta Blue said:

Torres missing an open goal, how many times did we see this @Slojo and @Argo for your requests of specifics. One simple google search. Plenty to choose from. Doesn't Werner remind you of this?

Fully remember that game, but he also scored in that, he had 2 chances, scored one, missed another. The funny part about it, the one he scored was on a very awkward angle and the chip was beautiful, the 2nd one he had it on a plate and missed. 

17 minutes ago, Argo said:

Argo I can't remember what happened on Thursday but strewth, there are hundreds of YouTube videos that prove you completely wrong on this. Torres missed open goals and on many occasions struggled to actually control a football. A lot of the time he looked like he was on roller skates. Werner has at least another season and a half of falling down, tripping over his own feet, and missing the target before he can be mentioned in the same breath of Torres.

If he starts wearing an Alice band I will be worried though.

1 minute ago, just said:

Argo I can't remember what happened on Thursday but strewth, there are hundreds of YouTube videos that prove you completely wrong on this. Torres missed open goals and on many occasions struggled to actually control a football. A lot of the time he looked like he was on roller skates. Werner has at least another season and a half of falling down, tripping over his own feet, and missing the target before he can be mentioned in the same breath of Torres.

I think you're dead wrong. 

By all means Werner looks better, and has been better, due to his pace, skill and contribution. But if you put a compilation of all his chances missed this season alone, it rivals Torres's full career here of missing chances. 

15 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

I've just checked myself and in the PL Morata missed 18 big chances in 17/18 and 10 in half a season under Sarri, Werner's currently on 9 with less than half the season gone. Torres' tally for big chances wasted between 10/11 and 13/14 reads 10, 7, 9 and 6 so no not even close to being as much as them and the fact his goal record was worse than their's suggests a tactical flaw in his game, which was true.

Edit: @just seen your post after this so guess we can call this a reply to your post aswell.

Edited by Argo

Not even including his miss today. 

Find me a compilation of Torres's misses that match this, besides that United own goal he didn't actually have that many horrendous moments in front of goal, his problem was that he lacked moments in front of goal because he was piss poor. 

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I think you're dead wrong. 

By all means Werner looks better, and has been better, due to his pace, skill and contribution. But if you put a compilation of all his chances missed this season alone, it rivals Torres's full career here of missing chances. 

I'll get over it. Because I think you're dead wrong and are re-writing history.

I had promised myself not to argue with you anymore Slojo. It's a total waste of time. You change direction like the wind and always, absolutely always, have to have the last word.

Bit like the wife.

Another Sloppy performance, far too many basic errors, our build up play is all very scrappy. Bemused by the team selection if im honest and I'd like to know the logic behind it.

Performances of note from Mount and Silva and flashes from Ziyech, Thought Callum was excellent when he came on, the rest were very average.

Three points but i would'nt call it the morale boosting performance that we are all looking for, we'll get done by Leicester if we perform like that.

3 points.. a much needed win..

But anyone tells me we look like a top team needs their head examined..

We were dreadful today, same old slow, slow build up, zero counter attacking threat.

And that was against 10 men of a relegation  side.. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I see it so many times in each game where we have that forward pass on that a city or Liverscum player would play forward we go straight to the centre halves to f**k about with  for a few passes whilst the opposition get themselves back into position.

I really can't put my finger on it (being just a phleb fan) but why the f**k can the REAL top teams do it and we can't  ?????

Talk about winning ugly not playing well, this is about as ugly and playing as bad as possible. The team has no clue how to break a team down, and not even the basics of playing through the middle, few passes near the half way line, then the predictable cross flank ball to do the cross again. There's nobody making runs, half of the team standing still with their hands up, and nobody is capable of releasing an early ball. It's like the Sarri team at his lowest, just side way passing and hoping a Hazard or someone else to step up and do something magical. The win is a little good confidence booster, although I do wonder how many players got confidence boosted after such an ugly game and performance.

9 minutes ago, just said:

I'll get over it. Because I think you're dead wrong and are re-writing history.

I had promised myself not to argue with you anymore Slojo. It's a total waste of time. You change direction like the wind and always, absolutely always, have to have the last word.

Bit like the wife.

And she never liked JFH either.

The idea that Werner has remotely rivalled Torres on the missed chances front all ready is ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, Argo said:

I've just checked myself and in the PL Morata missed 18 big chances in 17/18 and 10 in half a season under Sarri, Werner's currently on 9 with less than half the season gone. Torres' tally for big chances wasted between 10/11 and 13/14 reads 10, 7, 9 and 6 so no not even close to being as much as them and the fact his goal record was worse than their's suggests a tactical flaw in his game, which was true.

Edit: @just seen your post after this so guess we can call this a reply to your post aswell.

Who decides what's a big chance? And PL only, atleast my post wasn't an OG

36 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Yeah but the point is, is that those one on one chances were not very common. 

When we first signed him and it took him like 12 weeks to get a goal, he didn't actually have one chance until that West Ham game and he took it. He wasn't actually getting any good service, but he wasn't helping himself with that either. It was just a bad signing on all fronts, he was A: Past it, and B: Didn't suit our style of play. 

He started to comeback deep for the ball and we did get some use out of him, he was actually good when he was playing deep surprisingly, but he still never scored the goals until Rafa came and got some consistency out of him in the Europa League. Besides that I don't think Torres is the right comparison here, I think it's Morata. 

Sorry I didn't realise there was so many liverpool fans on here. Only liverpool fans can justify Torres' existence with chelsea with "it's because he didn't have rafa the whole time'

36 minutes ago, just said:

Thanks, I didn't think I had anyone on here inside. For a minute I thought I was the only one that could remember anything pre morata.

45 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Not even including his miss today. 

Find me a compilation of Torres's misses that match this, besides that United own goal he didn't actually have that many horrendous moments in front of goal, his problem was that he lacked moments in front of goal because he was piss poor. 

I'm not sure what dick pit this compilation together but this is just a small amount of the sh*t I remember from Torres...

21 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Thanks, I didn't think I had anyone on here inside. For a minute I thought I was the only one that could remember anything pre morata.

So you're saying Morara was just a white Paul Furlong?