Chelsea v Luton (FA) Sun 24th Jan 2021 12:00 GMT

12 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

It always amazes me how barely Emerson gets mentioned in the match threads only ever if he was at fault for goal. 

Missing the hunger and bravery from him. 

He’s been solid the few times he’s played, but I think that he is not at the level of Chilwell and attacking-wise Alonso offered much more. We should look at getting a back up for Chilwell in summer, in my opinion.

Was pleased with the performance, result could and should have been better. But it was only Luton... Yeah I know you can beat only what's in front of you, but we already knew that we can do it against bottom half and lower league teams. We wiped the floor with Morecambe only to struggle to beat a 10-man Fulham after that. We simply MUST get some momentum going against Wolves and Burnley, otherwise we can kiss top 4 goodbye for good. Make this win count, Chels!

38 minutes ago, Argo said:

Is it though? Cesc, Pirlo, Modric and Thiago are four top examples of players who made a career out of being a deeper player, infact they were actually wasted whenever they played higher up, not the other way round.

In the deeper positions you can dictate the entire tempo of a match.

Thiago, even from deep, is always looking to play a ball through to the attackers and set up a chance. He isn't just trying to control the tempo of the game from deep.

Fabregas was unique because he had to change his game when he started slowing down. But when he started playing deep, he was always looking for the run of the striker so he could pick out a pass.

Pirlo was probably the closest to Gilmour's game, but Pirlo playing forward would never have worked throughout his career anyway. He never really had the athleticism for it. I also don't think Pirlo would have been anywhere near as successful in the Premier League as he was in Serie A playing the way he did.

Modric was heavily involved in Real Madrid's attacks over the years, he wasn't just sitting on the half way line. Modric was the player I thought Gilmour looked the most like when we got him from Rangers, and the way we are asking him to play now is nothing like how Modric has played the majority of his career.

Edited by Scott Harris
34 minutes ago, RMH said:

He’s been solid the few times he’s played, but I think that he is not at the level of Chilwell and attacking-wise Alonso offered much more. We should look at getting a back up for Chilwell in summer, in my opinion.

I would say Emerson is a great back-up LB. If he was any better he wouldn't be willing to sit on the bench every game. 

1 hour ago, Carloseyebrow said:

I'm hoping Tammy really does make it, for all of us. He doesn't seem to have that poacher/goal hanger streak in him. I thought there were a good few balls flashed across the 6 yard box and no one was there. 

In fairness to Tammy he wasn't alone in that. Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech should be taking that gamble at different stages.

I thought Timo despite his penalty miss, ran his heart out right up to the end. He needs a ball to hit him on the head and go in while he's trying his boot laces to get some confidence back. I really felt for him when he missed he looked broken.

He can take confidence out of his all round performance though, he done well today

Some of the one touch passing moves were good  and in general the tempo was much better but our defending was still average and against stomper opposition we might get cut up down the middle. Despite the penalty and a bad pass or two and stumbling on the ball I though Werner looked good and was an influence ion the game. 

havertz also looked fitter in his brief cameo. James has to become more reliable defensively. 
some good long early switches of play and some moves through the centre of the park also created space. Fun to watch but can we do it against better opponents ?

Felt like papering over the cracks rather than anything positive. Didn't really see anything click given the opposition and we still looked vulnerable. Got to feel for Werner but good to see him get angry rather than just his head going down.

Edited by smileysmiles
3 hours ago, smileysmiles said:

Felt like papering over the cracks rather than anything positive. Didn't really see anything click given the opposition and we still looked vulnerable. Got to feel for Werner but good to see him get angry rather than just his head going down.

Yes it did, I’m gonna reserve my judgement until after the  wolves and burnley games.

On 24/01/2021 at 16:53, Argo said:

Is it though? Cesc, Pirlo, Modric and Thiago are four top examples of players who made a career out of being a deeper player, infact they were actually wasted whenever they played higher up, not the other way round.

In the deeper positions you can dictate the entire tempo of a match.

Didn’t Cesc make his name playing in and around the 10 position at Arsenal and operate mainly as a false 9 at Barca?

It was only here when his legs were knackered he started playing deeper?