Chelsea v Wolves (PL) Wed 27th Jan 2021 18:00 GMT

3 hours ago, Nibs said:

That was Wolves first clean sheet in PL since October. Every other side has managed to break them down - we couldn't.

And every pundit I have heard talk about the game admitted Wolves came closest to scoring. Our 821 passes and 80% possession are meaningless if we don't actua;;y do anything with it and our opponents still come closer to scoring.

In most of those games I'm guessing Wolves had Raul Jimenez in the game. They didn't against us, in fact they didn't even play with a recognized striker.

Yes other opponents did manage to break down wolves but they were either weaker sides who didn't have to deal with 11 defending the box or sides in the top 6 who have in form goal scorers and playmakers. United for example have at least 5 players creating or scoring on any given day. 

If we had that possession and passing and control combined with some in form players we would have certainly scored a goal or two. Unfortunately, our form as a team has resulted in many players losing belief. Odoi won very few 1v1 duels, Pulisic very little when he came on, Chilwell failed to convert our best opportunity of the game. Tammy is not a PL striker for a top 6 team anyway, Giroud didn't really receive a decent cross to attack, Ziyech looked like he had no ideas and Havertz although he created our best chance is feeling his way through after being benched most of the season.

So, yeah we looked like we had useless possession but that had a lot more to do with individual performances than the structure control and discipline Chelsea played with. And until our attacking players pick up their belief and start performing at a high level we won't score much.

15 minutes ago, coco said:

He finished top scorer for 4th place team last season.

I don't know what it is with Tammy, sometimes I think the guy is quality and underrated, then sometimes I can't help but think he's average. 

I think it's the slipping over all the time part that annoys me. To his credit though, he scores goals, and doing that at Chelsea as a striker is a very hard thing to do. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

I don't know what it is with Tammy, sometimes I think the guy is quality and underrated, then sometimes I can't help but think he's average. 

I think it's the slipping over all the time part that annoys me. To his credit though, he scores goals, and doing that at Chelsea as a striker is a very hard thing to do. 

I don't think he has fully grown into his body. I believe more control and better timing are still to come. If we are patient with him, I think he still has more upside to his game.

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Iv'e said he has plenty of flaws but scoring isn't one. But to claim he isn't a top 6 team striker has already been disproved

16 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I know what you mean and agree - he genuinely remonstrates with himself for not getting on the end of a ball but his lack of anticipation or gambling on being a couple of yards off the goal line to convert the many decent crosses we manage to deliver is so so frustrating.

He’s not alone in that either btw. 

On 29/01/2021 at 02:14, yorkleyblue said:

There are one or two of you who claim he is "a dynamic talent" or a "generational talent".  Tell me exactly what he has done in a Chelsea shirt to justify that statement.

Havertz may well have that potential, but, As Frank Lampard found out, we cannot afford to have patience and play him at all costs.  He has directly cost us goals, and being in the side with performances like that is worse than playing with 10 men.  I don't know what match you watched last night, nor what your standards are measured against, but if you think that was "a solid performance" then you have much lower values than me.

Oh, and my views on DeBruyne are well known, but if he had had the patience and work ethic to fight for a place, he could now be doing for us what he mostly does for City.

You mention de Bruyne but there is also Salah young Yorkey. You have had little time for a number of players in a Chelsea shirt that have gone on to do well. No one thinks havertz is a star right now and Werner is in crap form as well but I will be giving them a lot more times because they have both done well in Germany are in the German national team squad and havertz has also Covid. My opinion which is just based on watching them is Werner is good but low on confidence and havertz has talent but has to sharpen up a touch to turn the talent into a useful product at Chelsea. I am still very optimistic he will. 

16 hours ago, Slojo said:

He reminds me of Lukaku in a sense, will always guarantee you a healthy goal tally but has flaws to his game that will seem to stop him from ever making the jump to bonafide #1 at a club that wins things. Like Rom, the big games seem to overwhelm Tammy aswell.

If he can be convinced to stay as a horses for courses option then that will be perfect.