Jump to content

Official Thomas Tuchel


Recommended Posts


Well any Chelsea fans that were not onboard the Tommy Tuchel train will surely be now. I don't think Ive known such a quick turn around in a teams fortunes when changing manager, nothing with any longevity anyway. No offence to Frank at all, in fact without Franks foundations I'm not sure Tuchel would have turned things around so quickly. 

Post match TV Pep looked beaten and dejected, the first signs of cracks ? who knows, but one thing is for sure, Tommy had his number yesterday, and it wasn't his phone number.

If I was Roman I would be looking at an extension of 2 seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted him when Conte was sacked I think. He was available at the time if I'm not mistaken. Ended up with Sarri instead. I rated him highly but he has surpassed my expectations so far. I'm sure we will see what he's really capable of once we have a pre-season and play a back 4 which is his preferred formation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I wanted him when Conte was sacked I think. He was available at the time if I'm not mistaken. Ended up with Sarri instead. I rated him highly but he has surpassed my expectations so far. I'm sure we will see what he's really capable of once we have a pre-season and play a back 4 which is his preferred formation. 

I don't want to get too carried away and there's always a risk a post like this could age badly but tactically I think he's the best we've had since Hiddink the first time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

 

That's 4 managers who have won the UCL he has now beaten. I'd watch my back if I was Zidane 😂😂.  Jokes aside TT is doing a good job and I think Marina and the  board will trigger the extension at the end of the season. If in their minds this was a ploy to coax the very best out of him (offering only 18 months) it seems to be working.

In an ideal world I'd love him to stay long term (for us that's anything above 3 years) but I'd take 3 seasons. I think he's earned an additional season on top of the 18 months but we'll have to wait and see. I know there is a fear to talk too premature but, if his current record doesn't deserve an additional season added on what does?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coco said:

Well any Chelsea fans that were not onboard the Tommy Tuchel train will surely be now. I don't think Ive known such a quick turn around in a teams fortunes when changing manager, nothing with any longevity anyway. No offence to Frank at all, in fact without Franks foundations I'm not sure Tuchel would have turned things around so quickly. 

Post match TV Pep looked beaten and dejected, the first signs of cracks ? who knows, but one thing is for sure, Tommy had his number yesterday, and it wasn't his phone number.

If I was Roman I would be looking at an extension of 2 seasons.

I was disappointed to see Frank go, but I did feel deep down he'd taken the team as far as he could, and we needed a more established manager to take it to the next level. I think this view has been validated with the acquisition of Tuchel.

I don't think there's a need for an extension. The terms of Tuchel's contract stipulate that he can trigger a clause to extend his contract for an extra year which would take him until the end of the 2022/2023 season. I'm not sure what objectives he needs to satisfy in order to utilize the clause offered to him.

Frank built much of the foundations, and Tuchel's has now made the team more tactically competent which is fantastic. Both men deserve praise and respect from the supporter base.

I just hope the recurring conflict between those supportive of Frank or Tuchel comes to an end now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argo said:

I don't want to get too carried away and there's always a risk a post like this could age badly but tactically I think he's the best we've had since Hiddink the first time.

He's the best tactically since Conte in my opinion.

Conte's 3-5-2 formation was revolutionary at the time. We went from an average team to a juggernaut almost overnight in the 2016/17 season once the formation shift occurred.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I wanted him when Conte was sacked I think. He was available at the time if I'm not mistaken. Ended up with Sarri instead. I rated him highly but he has surpassed my expectations so far. I'm sure we will see what he's really capable of once we have a pre-season and play a back 4 which is his preferred formation. 

Although in my previous post i credited Frank with the foundations that Tommy has built on, it was actually Sarri that was the architect of the way we play today and i think he deserves as much credit as Frank for putting us where we are today. Apart from Benitez i have backed every manager to the death at this club, but i will always appreciate Ranieri and Sarri for being pivotal managers in our history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coco said:

Although in my previous post i credited Frank with the foundations that Tommy has built on, it was actually Sarri that was the architect of the way we play today and i think he deserves as much credit as Frank for putting us where we are today. Apart from Benitez i have backed every manager to the death at this club, but i will always appreciate Ranieri and Sarri for being pivotal managers in our history.

Sarri laid the foundations, Frank recruited the academy kids and integrated them into the squad.

Tuchel made a decent Chelsea team good. If he won the CL and FA cup double though, he'd have achieved another level with this squad

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deino said:

Sarri laid the foundations, Frank recruited the academy kids and integrated them into the squad.

Tuchel made a decent Chelsea team good. If he won the CL and FA cup double though, he'd have achieved another level with this squad

Frank did more than just bring the kids in, he continued with Sarris possession based football, trying to play out from deep, Frank tried to advance the system further and for some time he did do, but eventually his lack of experience showed and the inevitable happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do some of you keep giving stick to us fans who wanted stability and stuck behind Frank, and every f**king time TT does well come here to show off and give us more stick? Where were you after the WBA debacle or Leeds? Where are you going to be once things go South? I am glad that Tuchel is doing well, am happy about the achievements that Chelsea is getting under TT, and I like the bloke. That does not mean that I wanted Frank to stay for the whole season and I stick to it because of reasons other than silverware. You sound more bitter about Frank after two months than any of us about Tuchel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2021 at 15:41, Paddy said:

I think you are correct, Emerson is picked in a multiple sub role, mostly lwb or lcb , I assume (and hope!)  it’s a ‘just in case’ selection rather than with any intention of giving him game time, but if the sh*t hit the fan Emerson could cover a midfield role or even stick him upfront in an emergency - I don’t say he would be effective but he offers many more cover permutations than Billy can - I believe that’s why he gets in in front of BG.

Your argument for Billy is presumably predicated on him getting game time rather than offering cover - I just don’t see that in lieu of the current incumbents I’m afraid ?

Looks like you were absolutely spot on with this one if last night's game is anything to go by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jezz said:

He's the best tactically since Conte in my opinion.

Conte's 3-5-2 formation was revolutionary at the time. We went from an average team to a juggernaut almost overnight in the 2016/17 season once the formation shift occurred.

I agree with that but I feel he was a bit too susceptible to losing tactical battles in the big games and has a poor record in Europe which works against him somewhat when looking at a comparison with Mou and Hiddink (both 1.0).

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Sarri laid the foundations, Frank recruited the academy kids and integrated them into the squad.

Tuchel made a decent Chelsea team good. If he won the CL and FA cup double though, he'd have achieved another level with this squad

I think TT has managed to blend the best points of the previous managers well.

The Jose way (pre 15/16) of getting results even when we're playing terribly, Conte' s system, Sarri's playing out from the back and Lampard playing Mount/RJ/CHO.

Edited by Argo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like Chelsea to win the big trophies by genuinely being the best team. When we won the CL, we weren’t the “best team in Europe”. It was determined but fluky win. Conte’s title win was built by huge one season momentum. When you think of Liverpool and City, they’ve had 3/4 years of being the best teams in Europe and have won the big trophies. I would like Tuchel to help build something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

Looks like you were absolutely spot on with this one if last night's game is anything to go by.

It’s hard not to admire and like what TT has done so far  - aside from the WBA game, which I think was part under estimation/over confidence by the players coupled with 10  v 11, chasing the game and Albion being very clinical.

I try not to let emotion factor into my thinking too much if at all and like everyone have opinions about the team setup, players picked etc which will differ to some including Tommy, but I come back every time to the fact that he sees these guys train and play every day, so if he’s not picking players to start or be in the match day squad or is choosing them to be on the bench and deciding who will and when to be used , I have to defer to his inside knowledge in his decision making and assume it’s purely a matter of the right choice for that particular time - it’s hard, so far, to argue with his choices and tactics imo.

I don’t know if Billy, cho, Tammy are good enough , I suspect maybe not - I can hear the shouts of ‘give ‘em a chance or you’ll never know’, but they can’t be doing enough to deserve that opportunity and i believe it comes down to a matter of trust ? I think they will only be used when and where TT feels he can trust them, but I feel that they are all on borrowed time and won’t be around next season when the expectation is the PL title as a minimum ?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RMH said:

Why do some of you keep giving stick to us fans who wanted stability and stuck behind Frank, and every f**king time TT does well come here to show off and give us more stick? Where were you after the WBA debacle or Leeds? Where are you going to be once things go South? I am glad that Tuchel is doing well, am happy about the achievements that Chelsea is getting under TT, and I like the bloke. That does not mean that I wanted Frank to stay for the whole season and I stick to it because of reasons other than silverware. You sound more bitter about Frank after two months than any of us about Tuchel.

Rather sad given we all support the same club right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RMH said:

Why do some of you keep giving stick to us fans who wanted stability and stuck behind Frank, and every f**king time TT does well come here to show off and give us more stick? Where were you after the WBA debacle or Leeds? Where are you going to be once things go South? I am glad that Tuchel is doing well, am happy about the achievements that Chelsea is getting under TT, and I like the bloke. That does not mean that I wanted Frank to stay for the whole season and I stick to it because of reasons other than silverware. You sound more bitter about Frank after two months than any of us about Tuchel.

It just feels like history is repeating itself. New coach comes in, we bounce back, everybody is happy. 1 year later, the teams form drops off a cliff, the fans aren't happy and the coach is sacked. The cycle repeats itself all over again with the next coach with fans saying things will be different this time. It's hard to delude myself into the thinking that way anymore when I have seen time and time again how quickly things change at the club.

My opinions of Tuchel so far are 50/50. He's made us much better defensively and I think he is good in the big games, but offensively, I find us atrocious to watch most of the time and our approach against mid table and bottom of the table teams has been awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It just feels like history is repeating itself. New coach comes in, we bounce back, everybody is happy. 1 year later, the teams form drops off a cliff, the fans aren't happy and the coach is sacked. The cycle repeats itself all over again with the next coach with fans saying things will be different this time. It's hard to delude myself into the thinking that way anymore when I have seen time and time again how quickly things change at the club.

My opinions of Tuchel so far are 50/50. He's made us much better defensively and I think he is good in the big games, but offensively, I find us atrocious to watch most of the time and our approach against mid table and bottom of the table teams has been awful.

I agree with a lot of your points, all of it in fact. But i do think your'e playing down TT's accomplishments so far, yes we have not won anything yet, but we have a fantastic chance of doing a famous double, where did that come from ? I never even considered winning anything this season, my whole vision was just to get top four. 

But now i feel invigorated and excited for the first time since Conte first season. I'm surprised your'e not on the same level Scott. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It just feels like history is repeating itself. New coach comes in, we bounce back, everybody is happy. 1 year later, the teams form drops off a cliff, the fans aren't happy and the coach is sacked. The cycle repeats itself all over again with the next coach with fans saying things will be different this time. It's hard to delude myself into the thinking that way anymore when I have seen time and time again how quickly things change at the club.

And if that happens it happens. The obsession with managerial longevity in football is ridiculous, Arsenal are the one club that put major emphasis on it and look what is happening to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a very good squad. Very good. One of the best in Europe. I think a bit behind City, Bayern and maybe Real and Barcelona but not much behind. As a team we are young as we have so many new guys in who have not played together too much. The situation under Frank was even more raw. He for me fell into that sword on top of zero experience on managing a football team let alone a top one. 

Tuchel at the moment is showing what the difference is between a great manager and Frank Lampard. Frank will be a top manager at some point because I believe in his intelligence and drive. He didn't come to Chelsea too early. He came when he got the opportunity. The experience he got is priceless. Everyone still considers him a Chelsea legend and an untainted one. 

Tuchel arrived in perfect time and he has done everything right. The biggest negatives on Tuchel had been is failure to fit in 22yr of Tammy Abraham and maybe 19yr old Billy Gilmour. That is it. 

He's taken the big squad and rotated it with massive success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Argo said:

And if that happens it happens. The obsession with managerial longevity in football is ridiculous, Arsenal are the one club that put major emphasis on it and look what is happening to them.

And why do we have to follow Arse’s path and not Ferguson’s Utd?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RMH said:

And why do we have to follow Arse’s path and not Ferguson’s Utd?

Ferguson is the ultimate anomaly, i mean don't get me wrong if we find our Fergie or even 90s Wenger then great but I don't want us to get so obsessed with finding them we give a wrong man years like Arsenal are doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, coco said:

I agree with a lot of your points, all of it in fact. But i do think your'e playing down TT's accomplishments so far, yes we have not won anything yet, but we have a fantastic chance of doing a famous double, where did that come from ? I never even considered winning anything this season, my whole vision was just to get top four. 

But now i feel invigorated and excited for the first time since Conte first season. I'm surprised your'e not on the same level Scott. 

I am excited at the possibility of the FA Cup and getting into the UCL semifinals, but I don’t need to keep reading after every good game how Frank was rubbish and TT has taken us to the next level. Because who’s to know whether the players would have got back in form under Frank or whether TT would cope with playing 3 games a week as when the team lost the form in December-January. Some got what they wanted, Frank is gone, and I don’t get this need to slag Frank off or us fans that supported him staying til the end of the season every time we beat a top team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!