Official Thomas Tuchel

4 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I think Tuchel made a huge mistake starting Silva against Fulham, surely Rudi would have done fine. Now Silva is going to miss out on Real Madrid or City, no chance he can play 4 games in the space of a week n half. He should have been rested so he could play both of these games.

Wasn’t Rudi unavailable through injury? 

4 hours ago, Sindre said:

The following stats will surprise a few people I believe.

r/chelseafc - Attacking Under Thomas Tuchel (Sky)

Created the most chances and shots on target of any teams in the league since he arrived.

A few have claimed it's defensive, no fun kind of football but I have always disagreed with that and the stats do as well.

It's basically Werner and Havertz missing chances, the former much more than the latter. I'm worried that we might bottle the whole season with Werner's misses but Tuchel organizes the team really well defensively and we haven't suffered so far so here's hope that our shot conversion finally goes up, Lampard had the same issue.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

It's basically Werner and Havertz missing chances, the former much more than the latter. I'm worried that we might bottle the whole season with Werner's misses but Tuchel organizes the team really well defensively and we haven't suffered so far so here's hope that our shot conversion finally goes up, Lampard had the same issue.

Not just those two. Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO and even Mount have been guilty of missing good chances they should do better with.

Not to mention how many of those shots are Kante and Kovacic taking on their "once in a blue moon" strikes?

For me TT has enhanced his reputation with us in THE top league of world football. Even if it goes wrong against Real and Leicester he has done a really, really good job and deserves credit for it, that gets slightly downgraded if we blow top 4 now.

Make top 4 and add the FA cup? Excellent job.

Get the CL? Amazing job

Get the CL plus FA cup? Unbelievable job.

Edited by axman2526
45 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Not just those two. Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO and even Mount have been guilty of missing good chances they should do better with.

Not to mention how many of those shots are Kante and Kovacic taking on their "once in a blue moon" strikes?

For me TT has enhanced his reputation with us in THE top league of world football. Even if it goes wrong against Real and Leicester he has done a really, really good job and deserves credit for it, that gets slightly downgraded if we blow top 4 now.

Make top 4 and add the FA cup? Excellent job.

Get the CL? Amazing job

Get the CL plus FA cup? Unbelievable job.

Yea like @Argo said no matter what happens Tuchel has done a great job and has already shown that he's a top manager.

IMO it would be sad not to win the FA Cup but if we win the CL then Tuchel is untouchable. The board should back him and allow him to get some new players that he personally would prefer for next season.
What's needed is at least a new CB and maybe a DM and a new striker in case Tuchel isn't counting on Tammy, it's vital to find the proper replacement for T.Silva and to find a classic DM that would sit deep because we only have Jorginho that's doing that role (I don't see Gilmour in that position but rather more forward like Kovacic) and hopefully our finishing will improve next season.

10 hours ago, Sindre said:

The following stats will surprise a few people I believe.

r/chelseafc - Attacking Under Thomas Tuchel (Sky)

Created the most chances and shots on target of any teams in the league since he arrived.

A few have claimed it's defensive, no fun kind of football but I have always disagreed with that and the stats do as well.

We still only managed 9 shots vs Fulham, 7 shots vs Brighton, 15 shots vs Leeds, 9 vs Southampton, 9 vs Sheff Utd, 14 vs Wolves. Everyone can find stats to suit them as we found out about Jorginhos unbeaten record for long enough. 

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Yea like @Argo said no matter what happens Tuchel has done a great job and has already shown that he's a top manager.

IMO it would be sad not to win the FA Cup but if we win the CL then Tuchel is untouchable. The board should back him and allow him to get some new players that he personally would prefer for next season.
What's needed is at least a new CB and maybe a DM and a new striker in case Tuchel isn't counting on Tammy, it's vital to find the proper replacement for T.Silva and to find a classic DM that would sit deep because we only have Jorginho that's doing that role (I don't see Gilmour in that position but rather more forward like Kovacic) and hopefully our finishing will improve next season.

On the point of untouchable. RDM found out winning the CL does not even give you a season if you struggle the next one.

No manager or player should ever be untouchable, previous success gives you credit in the bank but that can only last so long. Imagine if we kept Jose based on what he did in the past?

9 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Winning ucl is good but I usually don't rate manager from ucl.  Winning ucl involves tons of luck. We have quite an easier route this season.(I thought Atletico would have been very difficult but they were completely out of form before we played them) 

It is the reality this year, there are maybe 4 really good teams City, pool(before injury crisis), bayern (not as good as last season) and probably psg (still have neymar n mbappe). 

And so far we have avoided all of them

6 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

We still only managed 9 shots vs Fulham, 7 shots vs Brighton, 15 shots vs Leeds, 9 vs Southampton, 9 vs Sheff Utd, 14 vs Wolves. Everyone can find stats to suit them as we found out about Jorginhos unbeaten record for long enough. 

And you find these numbers low?

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Winning ucl is good but I usually don't rate manager from ucl.  Winning ucl involves tons of luck. We have quite an easier route this season.(I thought Atletico would have been very difficult but they were completely out of form before we played them) 

It is the reality this year, there are maybe 4 really good teams City, pool(before injury crisis), bayern (not as good as last season) and probably psg (still have neymar n mbappe). 

I'm not really denying that there is no luck involved or what we perceive as luck but you have said that you need tons of luck to win the WC before and now for the CL as well and I'm not sure if I agree with luck being such an important factor... Even when a weaker team like Greece won the Euros you could set your clock that they would score from a header, around min 60', from the corner kick or right hand side after a cross so when that kind of thing happens more than 5 times it's not really down to luck at all.

Our route has been easier this season if we consider that we avoided playing Bayern, PSG and Man City like you say but it wasn't really easy as we made it look easy. Tuchel made us a good defensive team and that matters a whole lot, just in the most recent page you can see that we're at the bottom half when it comes down to shot conversion rate so we still have the same problems that Lampard had but we have improve massively in defense so it's good tactics and coaching that remove the chances of bad luck striking.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

On the point of untouchable. RDM found out winning the CL does not even give you a season if you struggle the next one.

Well if we win the CL he should be considered as untouchable for a short time period as he would be seen as a top manager and I hope the board doesn't go greedy and says that he doesn't need more than maybe 1 new signing due to that fact of already being able to win the CL.

Di Matteo was struggling for real and we couldn't make it past the CL group stage but Tuchel is a more proven manager than Di Matteo so he should get more trust from the board. At least that's how I see it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Have we really had any perceived luck so far? Got through the group easily, always had total control of the Leti and Porto ties and the draw in Real in the first leg was the absolute least we deserved.

Very very big ask but if we go through on Wednesday with a controlled performance and have a similar 1-0er vs City to what we did at Wembley I'd say we would have gone through the entire tournament without relying on any serious luck, even if we do need the rub of the green from now onwards it shouldn't distract from how well we've performed in getting this far.

Edited by Argo
10 minutes ago, Argo said:

Have we really had any perceived luck so far? Got through the group easily, always had total control of the Leti and Porto ties and the draw in Real in the first leg was the absolute least we deserved.

Very very big ask but if we go through on Wednesday with a controlled performance and have a similar 1-0er vs City to what we did at Wembley I'd say we would have gone through the entire tournament without relying on any serious luck, even if we do need the rub of the green from now onwards it shouldn't distract from how well we've performed in getting this far.

Hmm the draw itself is luck, we can easily get bayern in qf, then city in sf. 

Against Porto 1st leg, we didn't play particularly well but mount came out with fantastic goal. We were not usually very clinical but we were. 

11 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Hmm the draw itself is luck, we can easily get bayern in qf, then city in sf. 

Against Porto 1st leg, we didn't play particularly well but mount came out with fantastic goal. We were not usually very clinical but we were. 

And facing Atletico Madrid in the last 16 compared to for example City who got to play a very mediocre German-team was not luck at all.

We haven't been particuarly lucky with the draw. City will have had a much easier route to the final if they get there.

4 hours ago, ashwin said:

And you find these numbers low?

And you you think those numbers are high against that kind of opposition? Sheff Utd on 17 points, Fulham relegated, chasing a win against brighton. Theres also 6 vs Barnsley, 8 vs Sheff Utd in thr fa cup and 13 shots in 180mins vs Porto, really high them.

5 hours ago, Bob stark said:

All cup competitions require some degree of luck, Chelsea very unlucky to win there group and get AM in the last 16 which is normally still a poor part of the competition, it was good to get Porto in the quarters. For me Bayern and City are the best teams in the comp, Bayern was very unlucky as they demolished PSG in the first leg and with the amount of injuries they had was pretty bad plus no Lewandowski for either leg. I always thought it was going to be a chelsea vs psg final because of Tuchel but looks like I could be wrong.

Imo for people to say being in the UCL semi final is lucky, considering we're one win or a shut out away from the finals is disrespectful to Thomas and the team. Regardless of who you draw on the way to a cup final you still have to turn up and win. Our fixture list has been relentless and yet we are still in 3 competitions. Nobody could have predicted TT would do this well.

He wants to prove he is the best manager in the world. He must now go through the other 2 candidates left in the best club competition in the world.

He needs to beat Mr 3pete and the master of Tiki Taka (assuming City dispatch Paris). Plain luck does not get you to this position in the season. We may be the only ones that could have stopped City winning the quadruple on paper and now the triple. Can you imagine the banter if TT secures a double for us at City's expense.

It took Klopp with Liverpool 3 seasons to go the UCL finals and 4 to win it. It took Pep with City 5 seasons to make it to the semi finals. It took TT half a season and he is one game away from the finals and some people want to call that luck?!

To make it to the semi finals and or finals back to back with two different teams is quite the achievement.

Really, I am surprised to see some suggesting we have had an easy draw. That is City up until their Semi, as both previous knockout games were against average sides. Even now PSG have gifted them the tie through schoolboy mistakes and mentality.

In comparison Atletico and Porto are vastly superior to who City got, and clearly Real are to PSG too, certainly in terms of mentality.

If anybody has had the luck of the draw it is City by far.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Really, I am surprised to see some suggesting we have had an easy draw. That is City up until their Semi, as both previous knockout games were against average sides. Even now PSG have gifted them the tie through schoolboy mistakes and mentality.

In comparison Atletico and Porto are vastly superior to who City got, and clearly Real are to PSG too, certainly in terms of mentality.

If anybody has had the luck of the draw it is City by far.

Porto are not better than Dortmund, I would personally put PSG and Real about even.

1 hour ago, LongtimerLurker said:

It took Klopp with Liverpool 3 seasons to go the UCL finals and 4 to win it. It took Pep with City 5 seasons to make it to the semi finals. It took TT half a season and he is one game away from the finals and some people want to call that luck?!

This! Even if we were to go out against Real Madrid on wednesday the CL-run will have been an incredible achievement by Tuchel.

If anyone suggested we'll make it to the latter stages of this years CL in January when Arsenal, Leicester and City took turns embarrassing us they'd be laughed out of town.

11 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Porto are not better than Dortmund, I would personally put PSG and Real about even.

Individually no Porto are not. As a team though I believe they are. They dont have that star power of Sancho, Bellingham or Haaland but they are a more cohesive unit.

I think we can all agree on the fact that Tuchel has singlehandedly taken us to a level I doubt Lampard would have ever accomplished.
Therefore, I am genuinely confused how some are still downplaying his performance.

Who would have thought that we could be confident going into the 2nd leg of a CL semi-final against Real Madrid?
Heck, in December we got slaughtered by one of the worst Arsenal sides ever. I wouldn‘t have been confident going against a sunday league team back then.

Tuchel has proven to be a top manager and I really believe there is no more suitable Chelsea manager alive atm. 

8 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. 

Winning the UCL meaning you have to beat the best teams in Europe on your way there. You have to win against the likes of Madrid, Barca, PSG, Bayern, Man City, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter, Milan, etc. 

Sure those teams can go on bad forms; just like Liverpool, West Ham, Leicester, etc. goes on bad forms in the EPL.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Individually no Porto are not. As a team though I believe they are. They dont have that star power of Sancho, Bellingham or Haaland but they are a more cohesive unit.

Looking at the last 16 and quarters Chelsea have collectively had the harder side of the draw compared to City, no doubt about that. I always think there is some luck in winning a cup but I havent actually seen that in Chelsea's performances, they have all been deserved but when I have seen other CL games i cant say the same.