Official Thomas Tuchel

coco

Obviously I'd rather not have these irritating (at best) decisions made but the only good thing I take away with them is, and our team seems like it takes on the fight, that it can somehow help establishing a "we against the world" mentality which could come in handy.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

We battered Leicester last night but still relied on set peices to get our goals. 

I don't think it's really up for debate, he'll be here next season. He's shown enough in 6 months to suggest he can win things with Chelsea. 

I think the club need to, and most likely will, go all out for a striker this summer. We'll enquire about Kane but there's little chance that one happening, I think he's going to join City. I think we'll push for Haaland and Lukaku might be a contingency. 

A quality centre back and midfielder would go a long way to improving the squad but honestly, I think the club will make signing a forward a priority and if we manage to sign someone of quality we could look a whole different beast next season.  

What type of midfielder do you think we need? a defensive type one like Rice or a more creative one?.

3 hours ago, bluedave said:

I was going to say "unless Werner suddenly transfors into a goal scoring machine" and then I realised there's only two matches left, so it's probably a bit late for that now. I think you're right, and it's pretty much what we've been saying ever since Costa left, although I think the club's other priority this summer will be to trim down the squad in general. 

I can imagine there is going to once again be a lot of players leaving on loan in the summer. 

Looks pretty likely that Giroud will be leaving on a free transfer and I reckon Abraham will sign a 12 month contract extension and then leave on loan for the season with an option to buy at the end of it. He's been linked to Leicester and West Ham but I'm not sure either club would stump up the (rumoured) £40m asking price. 

I think there's a realistic chance that Zouma could leave, he's down the pecking the order under Tuchel and you could see someone like Everton wanting to resign him. Emerson is surely a likely candidate to be moved on, even in the form of a loan. I could see a club like Juventus coming in for him given the season they've had. 

I wouldn't rule out Ziyech leaving. He hasn't really got going this season and there's a lot of competition for places in attack. If we sign a striker I think Werner would be played in a support role on the left and Mount will play more games than not. We didn't pay an overly large sum for him so it might be that he's seen as someone you could make a deal for relatively easily. 

Other than that it might be that CHO and Gilmour spend a season out on loan to gain expereince and get regular minutes. 

Then I would expect loans or cheap sales of Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Tomori, Zappacosta, Michy B, Mizaga, Barkley

7 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

What type of midfielder do you think we need? a defensive type one like Rice or a more creative one?.

Probably creative. 

Between Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho they have 4 assists in the league between them. That's from a combined 83 appearances. 

I think the forward players have let us down this season with their contributions, I don't think we can be satisfied with what any of them contributed in terms of goals/assists but if we can get someone in the midfield who pitches in a few more goals or assists I think it would help bridge the gap between midfield and attack. 

Too often I think the ball gets played around the 18 yard area with little means of breaking through a tightly packed defence. 

As much as I rate Declan Rice, I'm not convinced we'd be a better team with him in the start XI if Tuchel carries on playing 3 at the back. If we switched to playying a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 next season, then I think that we could benefit from someone like Rice in midifeld. 

Massive, huge result for Tommy personally last night. That showed in his pitch side interview. Was talking like he was wired to a power socket. Needs to get the job finished against Villa and that will release much of the pressure from the CL final.

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I can imagine there is going to once again be a lot of players leaving on loan in the summer. 

Looks pretty likely that Giroud will be leaving on a free transfer and I reckon Abraham will sign a 12 month contract extension and then leave on loan for the season with an option to buy at the end of it. He's been linked to Leicester and West Ham but I'm not sure either club would stump up the (rumoured) £40m asking price. 

I think there's a realistic chance that Zouma could leave, he's down the pecking the order under Tuchel and you could see someone like Everton wanting to resign him. Emerson is surely a likely candidate to be moved on, even in the form of a loan. I could see a club like Juventus coming in for him given the season they've had. 

I wouldn't rule out Ziyech leaving. He hasn't really got going this season and there's a lot of competition for places in attack. If we sign a striker I think Werner would be played in a support role on the left and Mount will play more games than not. We didn't pay an overly large sum for him so it might be that he's seen as someone you could make a deal for relatively easily. 

Other than that it might be that CHO and Gilmour spend a season out on loan to gain expereince and get regular minutes. 

Then I would expect loans or cheap sales of Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Tomori, Zappacosta, Michy B, Mizaga, Barkley

I doubt Ziyech will be going anywhere, Tuchel seems to like him, and he can be brilliant when he's in the mood. Otherwise I think I'd agree with most of that.

Tomori will be an interesting one. I remember reading that Milan would like to buy him outright but it depends on CL qualification, which is still not guaranteed. I'd be quite happy to see him come back and sell/loan out Zouma, although I do like Zouma as a squad player. It seemed that there was something weird going on with Tomori and Lampard, but he might want to give it a shot here under Tuchel.

A great transfer window for me would involve the purchase of one proven striker and the selling off of most of the 'dead wood', however I imagine it will be hard to find buyers again this year. Actually, with some of the players you've mentioned, I wonder if the club really cares about selling them at all or is happy just to let them keep generating revenue from loan fees.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Fairly confident we are the 2nd best team in the league myself. Behind City and United could probably also beat us in a game due to all their firepower offensively compared to us.

But it's the first half of the season that has us in a dogfight for Top 4 and since Tuchel arrived it's been us and City who's got the most points, with a significant gap to the team in third.

And the upside here is absolutely massive in my view. We are almost kept pace with a rampant City without a single forward that score consistently. So when we adress that issue in the summer as we all expect we should be a terrifying team to come up against.

I agree next season we might be. But a season is long and there is always ups and downs. In terms of squad we are probably second best in the league after City. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Deino said:

Spot on. 

It's actually getting scary now. For me being in the UCL next season will be such an achievement despite the decisions we've had go against us this season. How Var can look at the first Timo pen and say no is actually mind blowing. In what world could that be foul in Leicester favour.

The handball vs Arsenal was shocking since you could see it clearly after the first replay, the fact we didn't even get var looking at it is very concerning.

The handball in the final is funny because apparently the goal came 7 seconds after the contact with his arm and therefore the hand 'didn't contribute to the goal' because it wasnt instantaneous. Seven seconds is a very short amount of time in football. Very worrying indeed

Edited by LongtimerLurker

1 hour ago, LongtimerLurker said:

The handball in the final is funny because apparently the goal came 7 seconds after the contact with his arm and therefore the hand 'didn't contribute to the goal' because it wasnt instantaneous. Seven seconds is a very short amount of time in football. Very worrying indeed

Specially for you Longtime.

46 minutes ago, enigma said:

Should have brought him in sooner. I think if we had, we would have made top four fine without now scrambling about and hoping for others to help us out. 

How much sooner? He was sacked by PSG just a month before he signed for us, there's got to be a period of negotiations as well, we were in there pretty sharpish.

5 hours ago, sonic90 said:

How much sooner? He was sacked by PSG just a month before he signed for us, there's got to be a period of negotiations as well, we were in there pretty sharpish.

Assuming we do make top 4 TT and Chelsea's board will have made PSG look like right mugs. I understand falling out with the man but thinking Poch was an upgrade was questionable. I do rate Poch just to clarify but, he hasn't exactly made two consecutive ucl finals with different teams.

For Thomas this will either be his crowing moment as a manger lifting the ucl or his hardest moment and he will bounce back one way or the other. Klopp lost his first two ucl finals so there is hope one way or the other.

If we win UCL and make top 4 he's the best coach in the world imo at least concerning this season. That would mean gate keeping city in two different competitions. Whilst also guaranteeing his minimum target. In fact even if we just make top 4 and lose he's still arguably a legend in the making.

Surprised to see so many thinking Tuchel will get the sack if we end up out of the CL for next season. 

Yes the target was top 4, but the way Tuchel has got us back competing with the big boys again, especially in europe for the 1st time in 7 years, all without adding any new players, comingin half way through a season,and utilizing players that the club were struggling to shift. I think Roman will be keen to back him. 

Also who else is out there at this point? 

Hopefully we get the job done in these last 2 games, but i would say barring a couple of thimpings against villa and city, and a massive bust up with the board or players, Tuchel will get a bit of money to spend, and a preseason, which is what Roman has given every single one of his big reputation managers. 

Only one that wasnt afforded this was Grant, who was totally under qualified for the job, and was never a realistic long term appointment, arguably only given a long term contract to get a nice golden handshake from his mate at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, big blue said:

Surprised to see so many thinking Tuchel will get the sack if we end up out of the CL for next season. 

Yes the target was top 4, but the way Tuchel has got us back competing with the big boys again, especially in europe for the 1st time in 7 years, all without adding any new players, comingin half way through a season,and utilizing players that the club were struggling to shift. I think Roman will be keen to back him. 

Hopefully we get the job done in these last 2 games, but i would say barring a couple of thimpings against villa and city, and a massive bust up with the board or players, Tuchel will get a bit of money to spend, and a preseason, which is what Roman has given every single one of his big reputation managers. 

Only one that wasnt afforded this was Grant, who was totally under qualified for the job, and was never a realistic long term appointment, arguably only given a long term contract to get a nice golden handshake from his mate at the end of the season.

On sunday he can secure his job for next season,  next saturday he can secure his legacy.

9 hours ago, enigma said:

Should have brought him in sooner. I think if we had, we would have made top four fine without now scrambling about and hoping for others to help us out. 

That's not true. Since Tuchel came in we could have had more points if we did better against Leeds, United, Soton, Brighton, Wolves, West Brom and Arsenal.

That's 7 games we dropped points in. 

10 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

It's actually getting scary now. For me being in the UCL next season will be such an achievement despite the decisions we've had go against us this season. How Var can look at the first Timo pen and say no is actually mind blowing. In what world could that be foul in Leicester favour.

The handball vs Arsenal was shocking since you could see it clearly after the first replay, the fact we didn't even get var looking at it is very concerning.

Any excuse by the ref and var is bullsh*t in terms of these incidents.

The Arsenal handball and the Leicester non-penalty pisses me off more than it should because refs can actually be called to look at the incident. 

There were more lines and replays being made on our "offside" calls

12 hours ago, big blue said:

No one seriously thinks this. Surely. 

I think a lot of people think Roman is more trigger happy than he actually is. 

29 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Go back 3 or 4 pages mate. 

On 20/05/2021 at 00:26, big blue said:

Tuchel's target is top 4 after the mess we were under Frank for that month or so. Frank's target was to win the league. Matt Law made this very clear in London Is Blue podcast a month later Frank was let go. Roman and the board always set the biggest of targets for the club. They are never satisfied in top 4 finish. 

They had talks where Frank was very close in on leaving himself in the summer when he realized he will never make the targets the club sets him. He didn't want to leave by his own decision. It was pretty inevitable. 

Although Tuchel's done very well I still feel he is here for that 18 months as predicted. There is that new manager bounce and he's done extremely well with the lads but we can see the obvious downsides with this system. 

What Tuchel has to think for the summer is: do we stick to this system and if so who do we need. Some major decisions.

And we all know how much that summer transfer window means if you want to succeed. Look at City and Liverpool. Dias won Premier League Player of the season. Van Dijk went out early and Liverpool went back to where they belong. 

Tuchel is such a likeable person but you can see he has that fire in him that can make him do anything. He failed in PSG because he didn't come along with Leonardo the Sporting Director. Leonardo is the Head of recruiting new players. 

But I don't want to look too far. We just have to enjoy these last two matches. In just over a weeks time we might be the Champions of Europe. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Indeed. As I said a few pages back, he’s much less trigger happy than the fans in aggregate. We’re a demanding bunch and would have got rid of Scolari, AVB and Grant sooner than Roman did, and we (not me mind) would have sacked Sarri (who Roman of course never sacked) in February 2019. Mostly Roman just does the fans’ bidding with the inevitable lag that executing a sacking / finding a replacement requires. The only sacking the fans didn’t want was Ancelotti. Possibly Mourinho first time round, but Roman was right. Lampard even with special dispensation was probably 50/50 for/against?

So it may be safe to assume most of the time that if we don’t want someone gone, that someone is staying. 

Edited by Dean