Official Thomas Tuchel

coco

1 minute ago, just said:

Tuchel 3.7/10 from me today. Got lucky IMO. Very lucky.

If Messi is 90% fit would Barca have left him out? Ronaldo 90% fit would Real have left him out? No. No. No.

Tommy you do not leave N'golo Kante out of the starting line up for a huge game like today!! You just don't. 

You realised you had made a major blunder at half-time, but it was still a major blunder and you were lucky to get away with it. Jorginho. Decent player. Kovacic. Decent player. But for games like today, neither of them should ever, ever, be picked in front of Kante. He is on a different planet as a player. Full stop.

That is very assuming. You don't know for sure if starting with Kante would of yielded a better result than 0-3. 

2 minutes ago, coco said:

That is very assuming. You don't know for sure if starting with Kante would of yielded a better result than 0-3. 

OK CoCo. Without Kante coming on I do assume, (believe), we wouldn't have won 3-0.

The original point still stands. You don't leave your best player out of the starting lineup.

1 hour ago, just said:

OK CoCo. Without Kante coming on I do assume, (believe), we wouldn't have won 3-0.

The original point still stands. You don't leave your best player out of the starting lineup.

I think it's about managing Kante's fitness. He's become quite injury prone lately and he just came back from an injury, so maybe Tuchel doesn't want to overplay him. If you start him and the game doesn't do well you can't really take him off, because he's too important. Then he would have to play the full 90 again and maybe get injured in the process. Tuchel decided to go with a trusted midfield two, that has worked well for us in many important games, and keep an ace up his sleeve for when he needs it. The result was a 3-0 victory and Kante only having to play 45 minutes, so a win win situation.

Also about being lucky... Spurs pressed us well in that first half, but they never really threatened our defence, so it's not like we just scraped by.

To say we've struck gold with this guy would be a massively misguided understatement.

1 hour ago, just said:

Funny you mention that because Fergie widely regarded as the greatest ever actually had Ronaldo on the bench at Stamford Bridge in both his last two season's during his first spell at United.

Once due to the game being sandwiched inbetween UCL semi's and the other for pretty much the same reason Kante was on the bench today (managing his fitness due to a recent injury).

1 hour ago, just said:

If Messi is 90% fit would Barca have left him out? Ronaldo 90% fit would Real have left him out? No. No. No.

Tommy you do not leave N'golo Kante out of the starting line up for a huge game like today!! You just don't. 

You realised you had made a major blunder at half-time, but it was still a major blunder and you were lucky to get away with it. Jorginho. Decent player. Kovacic. Decent player. But for games like today, neither of them should ever, ever, be picked in front of Kante. He is on a different planet as a player. Full stop.

Hang on a minute. Kante came on for Mount, not for Jorginho or Kovacic. Surely then the more relevant comparison here is Kante vs Mount? Are you  similarly reluctant to recognise that Mount may have been the weak link/ suffering a loss of form as you are to acknowledge the improvement of both Kovacic and Jorginho and their contribution (it was after all his Kante-esque hard work and recovery that set up the second goal )? “Decent player” doesn’t do them and their improvement justice.

As for Kante not starting - first game back from injury is a legitimate reason to not start him, even if you think he’s out best player (and few on here have any beef with that).

On manager making an error: in my book having the mental agility to admit you were wrong and make a change is a vastly underrated skill. Tuchel did this today, but importantly (and this ties into the first point)  - it wasn’t just about bringing on Kante, it was about changing the formation, ie NOT replacing Jorginho or Kovacic, but replacing Mount instead.

Btw Im not picking on Mount. I love him but he’s not in form right now. Zero doubts that he will recover it from me.

I always like an out-of-consensus take, Just, but 3.7/10 for Tuchel is a bit much. 

6 hours ago, just said:

this doesnt make sense .. this is the same team that dominated arsenal a few weeks back or as 10 men stopped pool with no kante. For all the noise about spurs in the first half we had better chances with havertz and mount and should have scored atlease one of them. 

For this system Jorginho is not just a "decent player" or "kova" either. i would have liked to see Kante in but no need to rush him. For me city is the big game not spurs with a half fit Song or half interested kane.. The pace they were playing at it was easy to predict the drop off.. reminded me of the game a few years back when pedro scored a worldie.

Mount or havertz were not on it today and hence we changes a system but before the match no one was unhappy with the team.. 3.7/10 defies logic because of this single reason.

8 hours ago, just said:

I usually agree that Kante has to play but I have massive concern with his injury issue. You want to be on the conservative side, this is going to be a long marathon, we need to keep him healthy throughout the year. 

9 hours ago, just said:

Bizarre logic. It's not as if he left Kante out of the squad. He had every option to bring on Kante if things weren't going well. Which he did. And we won comfortably. And Kante hasn't picked up another injury or exerted himself in the same way he might have if he had started.

If anything, Tuchel deserves massive credit for not risking going into the next match against City without Kante by starting him against a lesser opponent. Starting him here when he can do a job off the bench immediately after an injury layoff would have been irresponsible at best.

9/10 for me, an extra 1 point because he did NOT risk our best player when he did not need to 🙂

Would have been 10/10 if he didn't need to bring Kante on at all.

I'm happy that Tuchel is managing for long-term benefits rather than short-term success as you seem to prefer it. Absolutely nothing lucky about the 2nd half.

5 minutes ago, ashwin said:

I'm happy that Tuchel is managing for long-term benefits rather than short-term success as you seem to prefer it. Absolutely nothing lucky about the 2nd half.

Indeed. Sarri and Lampard chucking a half-fit Kante on the field twice a week is what made him injury-prone in the first place and his performances suffered greatly as well.

Tuchel is managing him perfectly in my view.

10 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Indeed. Sarri and Lampard chucking a half-fit Kante on the field twice a week is what made him injury-prone in the first place and his performances suffered greatly as well.

Agree Tuchel has been fair to most people.. and Honest as f**k... that is why players respect him.. For me the high 5 with Kepa just showed his commitment to the cause.

Kante was not match fit, so absolutely correct call to bring him on as a sub, especially against a tiring team after 45 minutes of high press. Some fans just dont see what a good deal we are getting out of Tuchel, we never looked like losing yesterday despite being put under a bit of pressure. The threat of Son, Kane never really eventuated, there's always a man to cover when there's danger. In terms of the final third, we had good chances to score in the first half despite being poor, and once the first goal went in the score could have been 4 or 5. We dont need everyone to play well in September, hopefully we will have that in April or May.

3 hours ago, Jangz said:

Agree Tuchel has been fair to most people.. and Honest as f**k... that is why players respect him.. For me the high 5 with Kepa just showed his commitment to the cause.

Absolutely loved the hi fi with Kepa. And great to see a more confident and happy Kepa. We need him to be at his best during AFCON!

11 hours ago, Sindre said:

I agree that Tuchel is doing a good job saving Kante.

With that said, Kante was around 27 back then under Sarri and didn't have issues that season, he missed only 3 games for being absent because of minor injuries which is nothing.

It would be unfair to say that he became injury-prone because of how Sarri played him or managed him, he played because he was ready to play and as a key player it's pretty normal to play for your team.

But for example in the Europa League he played the full first opening game and after that Sarri didn't play him for the full 90minutes until the second leg of the quarter finals, in the FA Cup Sarri played him 90minutes against Man United after we passed the first 2 rounds, he played more in the Carabao Cup and that's it. There was no real difference from playing under Sarri most PL games and under Conte 2 season before that.

What happen to him under Lampard, I'm not sure, I'm not the team's doctor. But there were people in this forum that weren't happy about Kante automatically getting back to the starting lineup very fast after recovering from injury, which happened multiple times during that season.

Edited by Gol15

We are so lucky to have Tuchel.  The bloke has the midas touch and What a class act.

Many of us would have been gutted when Lamps was sacked and I didn't want Tuchel (although knew very little about him). I didn't want to like him but right from the start - the way he came across in interviews - how genuine and knowledgeable he was and acknowledging Lamp's good work, it was hard not to like the guy.

Hope he stays for many seasons to come - he has made us a formidable outfit again. Bet PSG supporters are wondering what the f**k has happened!!! 

On 19/09/2021 at 22:24, just said:

Horiffic post. What a god awful perspective of how you saw Tuchel's absolute masterstroke. You are either highly strung, have never even played football or a troll. 

On 19/09/2021 at 15:24, just said:

Well we had Kepa in goal so we needed to be lucky right?

@just that is a rant and a half. 

I agree Kante is a one of a kind and you play him at 90% in a CL final, or against City next week. Or as we did against Liverpool and he subsequently went off injured at half time due to that.

However, as much as you and many on here hate Spurs, this is no longer a "huge game". It is as huge as Arsenal, West ham or Fulham, average sides who has little hope of competing for major honors. You can add several none London sides to it.

He was trying to not risk Kante ahead of facing the league champions next week who we want to dethron.

If he does not start if fit vs City I agree is madness, but this was only Tottenham.

Edited by axman2526

29 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Well we had Kepa in goal so we needed to be lucky right?

@just that is a rant and a half. 

I agree Kante is a one of a kind and you play him at 90% in a CL final, or against City next week. Or as we did against Liverpool and he subsequently went off injured at half time due to that.

However, as much as you and many on here hate Spurs, this is no longer a "huge game". It is as huge as Arsenal, West ham or Fulham, average sides who has little hope of competing for major honors. You can add several none London sides to it.

He was trying to not risk Kante ahead of facing the league champions next week who we want to dethron.

If he does not start if fit vs City I agree is madness, but this was only Tottenham.

Have to agree with this. I can understand why this is seen as a huge game, especially to the London based supporters, probably one of the biggest in the season. 
TT has to think his way round the fixtures to try and steer the team to EPL champions and I can see that he was saving Kante for the more important city game next week. 
Spurs was a great 45 min runout for the wee man after being out injured for a few weeks.