Jump to content

Official Thomas Tuchel


coco
 Share

Recommended Posts


25 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Obviously I didn't mean that.

It was city. We will always pick a more "conservative" team. Even though, I said conservative there is not much choice. Havertz hasn't been good at playing connector role, Ziyech has been awful at everything, who else is available.

In the game, my only problem was we kept insisting to bypass city press through ground route and it was futile. 

We should just abandoned that idea and push alonso up high and kick long ball to alonso and Lukaku and play from there. 

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

For the first time, I thought Tuchel had us playing with fear. You can't win league titles playing with fear. 

I don't understand why he set us up so defensively. I know it's City, but so what? do we fancy ourselves as title contenders or not? I'm not saying we should have tried to out football City, but we should have more belief that the attacking talent we have available can hurt them, especially at home, it was only a few months ago those players beat City 3 times in a row.

It's not catastrophic, but today was a bit of a blow mentally. He can't afford to have us playing like that again, if he does then there will be more slip ups on the way and Liverpool and City will quickly move out of our sight.

'He' did not have us playing with fear. And I doubt he purposefully set us up that defensively. No one had any issues with this formation and midfield in the 2nd half vs Tottenham. No one had any issues with the team before the match started. Given the poor performances of Havertz and Ziyech, the injuries to Mount and Pulisic, he took a small risk and the players were poor. The only decision I have any issue with is playing Alonso.

I hate losing, especially when we could have set down a real marker. But we were due, given that too many of the players have been poor for periods of recent games. Best to get the wake up call now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

We lost one game

Aye we did and is not what I want to happen but we have ample evidence that Roman is not shy in chopping managers. He showed he still have the stones for it in removing Frank, and I don't expect TT gets as much leeway as Frank did.

Make no mistake Roman will have been embarrassed by how we lost today, not that we lost specifically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Make no mistake Roman will have been embarrassed by how we lost today, not that we lost specifically.

My exact thought 20 minutes in. I think the club would have almost no concerns if we challenged well and fell short. But a few performances like that will see a manager gone regardless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, venom2011 said:

My exact thought 20 minutes in. I think the club would have almost no concerns if we challenged well and fell short. But a few performances like that will see a manager gone regardless. 

Indeed, Roman is not the sort of person who takes being embarrassed lying down. I expect he will be having words with TT about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


To be fair City’s press were incredible, really didn’t give us any time on the ball.

I don’t think there were much Tuchel could have done really, a few players were out, James got injured, 2 substitutes left. Today we were well beaten by City, I have no problems with that.

Alonso annoyed me a lot today though, he was extremely poor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Indeed, Roman is not the sort of person who takes being embarrassed lying down. I expect he will be having words with TT about that.

No, he won't... Tuchel was due a loss v Guardiola at some point and City have one of the best squads in Europe. He is human and it is a normal thing to make mistakes from time to time. He got it wrong today. So what? Some you win, some you lose. It was clear from the start his primary goal was not to lose the match. It backfired - it happens to the very best all the time. Time to move on from this. Mourinho used to play like this v Burnley and Palace with a team full of internationals and Roman only pulled the trigger when it was all beyond repair, not after some meaningless games in September, having just come off a Champions League win some months ago, his favourite competition.

I know Chelsea did not look good today, but come on, Tuchel deserves more respect for what he's done in such a short time. We've been spoilt with some tactical wizardry from Tuchel in all the big matches we've played under him some far, now give the guy a break, it is madness to think we were going to now have Guardiola and City's number everytime we play them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

No, he won't... Tuchel was due a loss v Guardiola at some point and City have one of the best squads in Europe. He is human and it is a normal thing to make mistakes from time to time. He got it wrong today. So what? Some you win, some you lose. It was clear from the start his primary goal was not to lose the match. It backfired - it happens to the very best all the time. Time to move on from this. Mourinho used to play like this v Burnley and Palace with a team full of internationals and Roman only pulled the trigger when it was all beyond repair, not after some meaningless games in September, having just come off a Champions League win some months ago, his favourite competition.

I know Chelsea did not look good today, but come on, Tuchel deserves more respect for what he's done in such a short time. We've been spoilt with some tactical wizardry from Tuchel in all the big matches we've played under him some far, now give the guy a break, it is madness to think we were going to now have Guardiola and City's number everytime we play them.

Again it is not me saying that I want TT out or lack respect for him, it is a fear when just looking at past history with Roman. The CL win gave RDM very little protection.

The word I meant he would have would be along the lines of "why were we so poor, why did we not show the desire we have come to expect of this side, why did we lack belief?". He will want to understand what happened and be involved in trying to make sure we don't perform like that again.

We have a history of going from looking superb to awful and not giving 2 sh*ts in short order. Happened to Frank last season and Roman was very uncharacteristically patient with him, only Jose got a similar amount of rope in round 2. The rest got dumped a lot sooner.

I genuinely believe TT is one of the very best managers in world football and would love him to stay for several years. I just don't trust this group of players to not sulk like they did with Jose, Frank, AVB etc. We went on to better things after each of them, but I still don't want that to happen to TT.

Edited by axman2526
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is said the best form of defense is to attack. Hence Mason Mount is so important to this team. None of our attackers press like him. 

Tuchel got it wrong today and from his interviews he understands that so its lesson learned rather than a defeat today. 

Also, its sad to see as soon as Alonso has a bad game every one is calling for his head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gentian said:

It is said the best form of defense is to attack. Hence Mason Mount is so important to this team. None of our attackers press like him. 

Tuchel got it wrong today and from his interviews he understands that so its lesson learned rather than a defeat today. 

Also, its sad to see as soon as Alonso has a bad game every one is calling for his head.

Also a little surprising as I am very much used to that being Jorginho. Given the goal deflected through his legs I thought it was likely. Pleasent suprise is not, though like I said elsewhere putting in Chilwell makes no difference today. They were just a class above. 

Guess the impact of @Gol15 and his stats eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Think if James didn't go off, we would have gone 343 at HT. Really thought we'd step it up in the second half, that last about a minute and we went back to the shells. Definitely missed a leader on the field, someone to shout at the defenders to step up 10 yards. Granted they got luck with their goal, we defended way too deep, a lucky deflection, mistimed tackle for a PK, the sort of risks you associate with defending like that. Not sure if the players on the field actually believed we could match against City, it's more of a defend deep and wait for the opportunity to arrive attitude, and she never came around. Think the lose actually will do us some good, we aren't the favorite, plenty of work to do for Tuchel and players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During his tenure, after every setback, TT and the team have emerged stronger. You have to respect this trend till proven otherwise. Yet doubts are immediately raised after one slim loss to City (is this worse than losing to villa or drawing with Brentford? Relax, Liverpool aren’t running away with anything yet). Ah but it’s the manner of the loss, the performance. Tuchel agrees with you! He didn’t want us to not attack and said so himself.
 

As for Roman, @axman2526, he might consider having a word with TT… if he WEREN’T the cold / ruthless guy he is. If he were the panicky, anxious sort, sure he’d be calling TT asking for “reasons” after one bad day at the office. He’s anything but though. After all, those aren’t the attributes required to come out on top in the resource wars in Russia in the 90s. As well as being ruthless, Roman is a savvy operator with an excelllent read of the trend, a great intuitive feel for when to hold and when to fold. If you look at all the sackings bar Ancelotti, they were done when the weight of evidence pointed firmly in that direction. Hardly the case now. Look where we were when he got rid of AVB or Scolari vs where we are now. Not even close. It will take a lot more than this for questions to be raised and I’d be surprised if he even flinched on this result.

Edited by Dean
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/09/2021 at 20:38, axman2526 said:

And both Mendy and Kepa would join that list before poor old Christensen lmao

Have you noticed that Christensen stays back at corners now? I reckon he’ll smash a 60 yard screamer in at some point or we’ll give him a penalty a la Makelele. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

Have you noticed that Christensen stays back at corners now? I reckon he’ll smash a 60 yard screamer in at some point or we’ll give him a penalty a la Makelele. 

My guess is that (assuming he does ever score), he'll poke it in during a goalmouth scramble Mikel-style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

My guess is that (assuming he does ever score), he'll poke it in during a goalmouth scramble Mikel-style.

Mikel’s first ever goal for Chelsea was a half volley from outside the box. I remember it because my old man had f**ked off to the bog, missed it and it was the start of our ‘£50 if Mikel scores this season’ bet we always had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Have you noticed that Christensen stays back at corners now? I reckon he’ll smash a 60 yard screamer in at some point or we’ll give him a penalty a la Makelele. 

Had not noticed this trend but it does make sense. He is pretty quick so useful if we get countered, and he is very unlikely to be a thread with his head attacking set plays as we have seen before.

Given the side often has Lukaku, Ruidger, Silva and occasionally Trev to attack them we probably feel that is enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dean said:

During his tenure, after every setback, TT and the team have emerged stronger. You have to respect this trend till proven otherwise. Yet doubts are immediately raised after one slim loss to City (is this worse than losing to villa or drawing with Brentford? Relax, Liverpool aren’t running away with anything yet). Ah but it’s the manner of the loss, the performance. Tuchel agrees with you! He didn’t want us to not attack and said so himself.
 

As for Roman, @axman2526, he might consider having a word with TT… if he WEREN’T the cold / ruthless guy he is. If he were the panicky, anxious sort, sure he’d be calling TT asking for “reasons” after one bad day at the office. He’s anything but though. After all, those aren’t the attributes required to come out on top in the resource wars in Russia in the 90s. As well as being ruthless, Roman is a savvy operator with an excelllent read of the trend, a great intuitive feel for when to hold and when to fold. If you look at all the sackings bar Ancelotti, they were done when the weight of evidence pointed firmly in that direction. Hardly the case now. Look where we were when he got rid of AVB or Scolari vs where we are now. Not even close. It will take a lot more than this for questions to be raised and I’d be surprised if he even flinched on this result.

I don't expect his finger to be near the trigger @Dean , like you put forward though Roman is a clever a savvy individual. It won't be lost on his that it began with just one bad performance under those previous managers that spiraled in to weeks and months of it.

The players have form in this, deciding they have had enough of a particular manager, losing motivation and confidence, and then half a$$ing performances.

I am hoping they don't do this with TT but honestly don't trust it not to happen again as it has so many times it is almost in the teams culture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

I don't expect his finger to be near the trigger @Dean , like you put forward though Roman is a clever a savvy individual. It won't be lost on his that it began with just one bad performance under those previous managers that spiraled in to weeks and months of it.

The players have form in this, deciding they have had enough of a particular manager, losing motivation and confidence, and then half a$$ing performances.

I am hoping they don't do this with TT but honestly don't trust it not to happen again as it has so many times it is almost in the teams culture.

I don’t know. I just don’t see the parallels. Things went wrong pretty quickly under those other managers iirc. The historical patterns you mention are valid but are there to be broken and I find looking for the breaks rather than the repeats to be quite a useful life (not just football) hack. Insofar as there’s a culture of player power, I don’t disagree but don’t think this is Chelsea-specific but more a feature of the top of the modern game, with the obscene paycheques etc.
 

going back to the initial point about the trend, it’s still very much a favourable one. One day that will change, and maybe the players will rebel, who knows… but we’re not there yet (in my view we are just getting started but that’s just me), so we should just enjoy the ride and not worry about any of this stuff yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

I don't expect his finger to be near the trigger @Dean , like you put forward though Roman is a clever a savvy individual. It won't be lost on his that it began with just one bad performance under those previous managers that spiraled in to weeks and months of it.

The players have form in this, deciding they have had enough of a particular manager, losing motivation and confidence, and then half a$$ing performances.

I am hoping they don't do this with TT but honestly don't trust it not to happen again as it has so many times it is almost in the teams culture.

As far as I can tell these players will fight for TT he's done a lot for various individual careers he's made Toni look world class he's reignited Andreas, he's got Jorginho and Kova playing even better than we thought possible. Kante to his best, he's gotten Kai to look like the player we spent £70m+ on,  Mount looks even better than under Lamps. He's at least got Timo contributing, Alonso despite yesterday has looked the best wb in the world at times. He's made James and Chillwell look good in what was an unfamiliar position to them at  the professional game. The list goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!