Official Thomas Tuchel

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

And one of them being one of the daftest needless own goals I've seen in a long time. 

The other being Zouma being daft and Dave taking Mendy out of a challange.

I am very interested to see how we defend against United and Liverpool, those two are a very big test to our defence for sure, more so than a defensive team like Atletico.

Well done the TT and the team today. A competent attack and we could have come back with a more handsome win.

Just now, True Blue23 said:

We had a nervy first 15 minutes, but after that we controlled the game really well. Good line up, tactics and substitutions by TT. If we manage to get past Atletico it might do wonders for the confidence of the team.

Yeah I felt we were definitely going to concede in the first 10 minutes, we go into the game with so much anxiety. Immediately we were committing ridiculous fouls in the first few minutes, Alonso almost on a yellow in the 2nd minute. 

I'm still not counting Atletico out, they are a very good side, and they'll come to play because they have to. This definitely gives us the edge, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet, we're through when we're through. 

Not so much a criticism from tonight because it's Atletico but the biggest hurdle still remains creating quality chances during open play. 

Even the goal tonight was fortunate. 

We're looking for that player who's going to step up and make the killer pass. 

We're getting into good positions but the final ball is lacking. A few times tonight the build up was good but the final ball was lazy or overhit etc. 

It's something Tuchel has spoken about, it's something he's concious of, now he needs to try and solve it. 

Defensively you can't have too many complaints (Does Silva walk back into this team? I've been impressed by Christensen). So it's the final third where I'm hoping Tuchel can start to influence an improvement. 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Amazing what one game does to the sentiment on here

Sentiment change but the overall story is the same.  So far we have conceded very little, we created very little also. This has been the story pretty much all games so far under Tuchel. 

Last night was the same, I expect Atletico to try to do something but their setup was even more conservative than us. 

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not so much a criticism from tonight because it's Atletico but the biggest hurdle still remains creating quality chances during open play. 

Hopefully I am wrong but this kinda remind me of our time under Sarri. Tuchel seems less rigid which is better but more conservative.

That sesson, we were great early but after teama understood how we played we struggled. I thought we will get better offensively as season progress but I was wrong, it was like that the whole season. We have majority of possession against almost every team, created little, concede little. 

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

The other being Zouma being daft and Dave taking Mendy out of a challange.

I am very interested to see how we defend against United and Liverpool, those two are a very big test to our defence for sure, more so than a defensive team like Atletico.

Well done the TT and the team today. A competent attack and we could have come back with a more handsome win.

I think that’s fair. Particularly ManU. They are a good yardstick of where we are. 

A reasonable team that presses us may do better, but maybe not. There were at least two occasions last night where better passes would have created opportunities for us. It’s hard work from here. Lots of big games. 

Our problem is the two boxes. Our own box in terms of moving the ball from under pressure. Opponents box in terms of making cool and calculated passes/decisions. 

I think in defense it is more to do with personnel and in attack our gifted players for some reason freeze. 

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Even the goal tonight was fortunate. 

We're looking for that player who's going to step up and make the killer pass. 

We're getting into good positions but the final ball is lacking. A few times tonight the build up was good but the final ball was lazy or overhit etc. 

It's something Tuchel has spoken about, it's something he's concious of, now he needs to try and solve it. 

Defensively you can't have too many complaints (Does Silva walk back into this team? I've been impressed by Christensen). So it's the final third where I'm hoping Tuchel can start to influence an improvement. 

Some good points. Hopefully things will fall into place soon. 

I believe the system is currently working in terms of giving us game points. As the system starts to get more success and the team believes in itself, then perhaps they will loosen up more and start to find that killer pass, see that run from the attacker quicker, release the ball a bit sooner and do the things that currently aren't done to give us that attacking edge. 

It's certainly good to see that the defensive structure and solidity long associated with a Chelsea team but slowly disappearing over the last few years is now slowly bring built again. 

Once upon a time, Atletico and Chelsea defence would be described in similar terms and we would all have known the winner of the game would more than likely have capitalised on a mistake by the other in the defensive phase to win, rather than sheer brilliance of the team and attacking set up.

Its a bit satisfying to see the game pan out that way with the added plus of a very confident and controlled Chelsea performance apart from the opening minutes as some have pointed out. 

10 hours ago, just said:

It's ironic in a way. Our two best results this season have both come in Spain!

Yesterday was Substitute Spain :smile:

It's funny reading the posts in the match chat and this thread during and after the match. During the match everyone was up in arms about our endless passing, now it's a mark of TT's brilliant tactics :biggrin:

Good European away result, our attack was still pretty terrible, barely created anything really. As usual we dominated possession but did nothing with it, CHO and Alonso`s crossing were very poor, only Mount seemed able to get at the defence and open them up. I cant believe how bad Madrid were, and how uninterested/scared they seemed to attack us, they were playing to contain us, get us back to the Bridge and nick a goal. Hopefully they open up a bit in the next leg and give us space to attack. No Mount will be a huge loss, everything good in attack goes through him at the moment, we will need Havertz back up to speed by then. Jorginho missing is a god send, he was abysmal.

9 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Yesterday was Substitute Spain :smile:

It's funny reading the posts in the match chat and this thread during and after the match. During the match everyone was up in arms about our endless passing, now it's a mark of TT's brilliant tactics :biggrin:

Tbf I would analyse who is saying that and contradicted themselves later on. The people praising Tuchel calling it a tactical masterclass, well I doubt they were complaining much about his endless passing. 

First half, I think many of us were frustrated. Irrationally and rationally. Irrationally because we miss the context, this is a great Atletico side running away with the league, Simeone always turns up to these big fixtures so realistically we should've been very thankful for how well we were doing. Rationally because for all the possession we had, we just weren't doing enough with it, and you felt that all it takes is one counter and it's all over. The number of times we played in the perfect ball only for it to be over hit was so frustrating. Jorginho especially, good vision, but the final ball was always over hit. 

I was happy/frustrated after the first half for those reasons above. After the game though I was ecstatic because I didn't predict this result or performance, I went into this game with no expectations, well... I expected a 2-0 loss and a sh*tty performance from our end. I've been dreading this game since we were matched with Atletico. 

Edited by Slojo
1 minute ago, dkw said:

As usual we dominated possession but did nothing with it,

We controlled the game with it. That sure counts for something.

Completely dominated them and they didn't even have a sniff. Came away with a fantastic result against one of the top sides in Europe which leaves us with a great chance to progress againt the odds.