Official Thomas Tuchel

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Well I hope for one thing - Tuchel need to ERADICATE everything Sarri has taught the team. Sarri is massively overrated and we only did as well as we did thanks to Eden Hazard.

No more passing back (not as often), try more risky balls forward, play with a higher tempo and pace.

I for one will die on this hill and say that I like possession based football, and I think Sarri started some solid foundations here. 

But, I wish we could up the tempo a bit more. Besides City I think we're the best team in the league when it comes to ball retention. I think people are far too critical towards our team when it comes to playing it out from the back, we're really good at it, one of the best. United were shattered in that 2nd half, you could see around the 70th, Dan James and Bruno were exhausted and just stopped chasing the ball. 

I just wish we were as good when it came to distribution, our attack needs serious work. 

3 minutes ago, Nibs said:

How so?

They are above us in the league and we were the home side so the onus was more on us to win but bar 1 or 2 moments, we looked totally toothless again.

Can't disagree with this. A draw is a better result for Man Utd than it is for us, whether we were the better team or not.

A couple of surprises at the start of the game - I was expecting us to start Jorginho rather than Kanté, and I was certainly expecting Man Utd to be far more compact and reactive than they were. They were very good at disrupting our possession buildup patterns. In the second half we grew into the game, and fared better as it became more gung-ho, but we still had the same problem of failing to create anything of note. I wonder whether that was why Tuchel decided to keep Ziyech on the pitch, who otherwise was clearly not playing well at all.

We can see that we have issues in consistently creating high-quality chances with the current setup. While the defence is looking stable (even with Silva out), it is something Tuchel will need to address. Still early days - I'm sure the problem hasn't gone unnoticed. Feels like this is a good opportunity to use the extensive attacking depth we have at our disposal - while we're playing like this you'd think everyone will feel like they have a chance to establish themselves in the first XI.

24 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Well I hope for one thing - Tuchel need to ERADICATE everything Sarri has taught the team. Sarri is massively overrated and we only did as well as we did thanks to Eden Hazard.

No more passing back (not as often), try more risky balls forward, play with a higher tempo and pace.

Sarri got us to top 3 in his first and only season. With Kepa and Morata. Tuchel needs more time but this is a good result for us - Lampard played more to not lose and it was a good option too.

36 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I bloody hate our play style. We attack, then pass it back to Azpi, Mendy. Start the attack again, nah pass it back.

Just take more risks, play quicker. I hate this slow passing the ball around play. We’ve had this problem since Sarri.

I am afraid you need to get used to this style for the rest of the season. 

You will not see attractive nor exciting attack until next season, when he has more time with the team and also bring in some of his own players.

14 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I am afraid you need to get used to this style for the rest of the season. 

You will not see attractive nor exciting attack until next season, when he has more time with the team and also bring in some of his own players.

Unfortunately he will get what Cech and the board give him

Possession football as a way to control the game and use it to launch attacks and hurt the opposition is fine....

...but we dont do that.

We didn't do that under Sarri, we didn't do it under lamps, and we don't do it under Tickle. What we do is hold possession in our own half or on the halfway line, slowly slowly creeping sideways and inching our way forward  until we get to about 10 yrds away from the opponents penalty box - at which point we hoof it backwards. How many offensive passes do we actually try?

All this possession football stems from Spain a few years back, which Barca under Pep perfected. But they didnt spend 3/4 of a match passing the ball between their CBs.  The possession they had was used to move forward, pass at pace and probe opposition, trying to pick out the offensive players, then recycling the ball if the attempts didn't come off. 

Our possession football is f**king awful to watch, and nullifies the attacking threat and pace we have in the team.

Edited by nonotnowjim

We do look like a more compact side and we do seem to play with a lot more sense than before. 

The thing we seem to struggle with is the decision making and final ball. We just choose the wrong thing to do far too often when we get in some good positions. 

38 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Sarri got us to top 3 in his first and only season. With Kepa and Morata. Tuchel needs more time but this is a good result for us - Lampard played more to not lose and it was a good option too.

Disagree on one thing Gol, this was a poor result for us.

14 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Our possession football is f**king awful to watch, and nullifies the attacking threat and pace we have in the team.

Agree. I think TT is playing this way because we have one average and two useless goalkeepers and poor defenders, bar Silva. 

He also has a pretty awful attack. Ziyech and Pulisic have been useless, so has Havertz, werner can win the occasional pen, Tammy spends too much time moaning, CHO picks the wrong option almost all the time. Though at least he has Mount and Giroud. 

It is still boring to watch though. Very boring.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Disagree on one thing Gol, this was a poor result for us.

Poor for them I'd say, they are the 2nd best team that at some point wanted to challenge Man City for the title - we just got a new manager and that very limited time to work with the team. Lampard also played a 0:0 at the start of the season when Man United were winning games and that was also a good result for us.

9 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Poor for them I'd say, they are the 2nd best team that at some point wanted to challenge Man City for the title - we just got a new manager and that very limited time to work with the team. Lampard also played a 0:0 at the start of the season when Man United were winning games and that was also a good result for us.

We are playing catchup though. We missed the chance to close in on them to 3 points.

8 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Different context Gol. We needed a win today especially after dropping two points with an equally insipid performance as Southampton. Win today and we'd be just three points behind United with them playing City next week. Although we have had a mini revival we aren't gaining momentum at present, we will come up short at the end of the season with results like today.

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

A point away from home is always better than a point at home. When you play at home, you should always be looking for 3 points.

2 minutes ago, charierre said:

Different context Gol. We needed a win today especially after dropping two points with an equally insipid performance as Southampton. Win today and we'd be just three points behind United with them playing City next week. Although we have had a mini revival we aren't gaining momentum at present, we will come up short at the end of the season with results like today.

Exactly right. It is a results business now. We made this clear when we brought in TT. Previous form and our league position not good enough, so we need results. If TT delivers boring 1-0 wins from pens every week then that is job done. However the results against a rubbish Saints team and a very overrated united side are not good enough. 

1 minute ago, charierre said:

It doesn't matter if we're 3 points behind them, yes it would have been great if we had won but our goal is top 4 not top 2... Winning against the Manchester teams was always going to be a bonus if it happen, look at Man United they didn't win that many games against the top teams this season but they won a lot of smaller games, this is what we need to do in order to reach top 4.

We went from being 8-9th to top 4 in just a few games and now we're top 5, every game matters but we can't suddenly be so disappointed that we didn't win against the 2nd best team in the league, that's how I see it.