Official Thomas Tuchel

3 hours ago, The Brit said:

Frank was at his best last season, working with less expectation and with freedom to pick his players. As soon as the big bucks were spent, he seemed to lose his mojo under the strain of making them work and keeping them all happy. It’s a hypothetical of course but the way we were playing under him by the end the last 10 games would not have gone as well as they have under Tuchel. He didn’t seem to have any tactical ability to change a game, change the negative momentum. Just did the same things every week hoping something would come off. 
I wanted him to stay too and argued as much for a long time...but by the end he just looked lost. 

Lamp problem came down persisting of finding ways to fit timo, puli, havert, Ziyech together and lack conservatism against big team. These two are connected. 

That has been pretty much the story of 1st half of the season. 

If something big doesn't happen we are going to win most of our remaining games in the Prem and reach top 4. I feel we have unused potential in the group so much that if we dip we can always field different players in games. Striking a balance between defence and attack is one problem, big stars sitting on the bench waiting to shine is a major potential to this side. I don't think we have the combo set yet. Havertz in particular I expect to make some sort of impact soon. 

We are keeping clean sheets with Christensen, Rudiger and Jorginho at the heart of it all. You can even throw in Alonso and we look like keeping clean sheets. 

Frank was much more adventurous with the side. Tuchel just seem to be pragmatic at least at this point when we are chasing the pack. 

He's certainly setting us up consistently to be very difficult to beat, and our defence is unrecognisable from last season. Huge strides forward from Christensen and Rudiger in particular.

Couple of things I'd like to see him change are this persistence in having two left backs on the bench, lately accommodated by dropping Tammy from the match day squad entirely and ingoring Gilmour, and his lack of consistency for calling out players for lack of effort. CHO must be preparing his Ziyech mask LOL.

Good stuff though in terms of results (won 7 drawn 3 of his first 10 fixtures, only two goals conceded and only one of those from the opposition), and clear signs last night of Ruud's "sexy" football that inspired my user name 🙂

10 hours ago, weetee said:

Don‘t get too philosophical - enjoy the moment!

😉

Its not a philosophical question but about the ongoing re-writing of history in which we were sh*t defending under Lampard and Tuchel has done a massive job. I don't deny that were are back to being solid defensively under Tuchel, which is welcome, but I don't like this rewriting of the story in which Lampard is going to be remembered as being sh*t defending and will get no credit at all for bringing this season a defensive coach and for breaking the record of clean sheets in 7 years and with a back 4.

But don't mind me and my grumpiness 😉 

18 minutes ago, RMH said:

Its not a philosophical question but about the ongoing re-writing of history in which we were sh*t defending under Lampard and Tuchel has done a massive job. I don't deny that were are back to being solid defensively under Tuchel, which is welcome, but I don't like this rewriting of the story in which Lampard is going to be remembered as being sh*t defending and will get no credit at all for bringing this season a defensive coach and for breaking the record of clean sheets in 7 years and with a back 4.

But don't mind me and my grumpiness 😉 

I wasn't being serious. But I guess you know that. You have every right to stay grumpy after a well deserved win over a direct contender! 😉

I don't follow the British media but can imagine that (as long as TT brings in the results) history is "re-written" or the narrative at least paints Lamps in a more negative light now - because that's what's happening all the time almost everywhere in football (or in life in general if you want to get philosophical..). Just imagine losing to Everton on Monday, TT would be immediately questioned again in this very forum, by the media etc.pp. The thing is, this changes all the time and in a few years Lampart will eventually be seen as somebody who did some really good groundwork during very difficult times but eventually was too "young" and inexperienced, which isn't his fault, to last in this kind of top job at that moment (+ at Chelsea where managers come and go on a regular basis). If he succeedes as a manager some other place(s) now and earns his stripes, so to say, I don't see any reason at all why he couldn't come back in say 5-6 years and have a significantly much better basis to work and last within a AAA club as a successful manager - then his history will be re-written again just as well and it would eventually be seen even as a good thing that they circumvented a possible fallout in case they would have kept him now but failed. Now they parted in a harsh but given the circumstances also kinda elaborate way. But I guess you guys see that different and I'm not saying it's right/wrong of course. 

Edited by weetee
9 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I honestly don’t get negative comments like these. We are wining games and playing we should be hoping for the best and not waiting for the time the team fails.

It is not a negative comment but a reaction to a comment in which we were crap defensively under Lampard and now we are masters of the defending universe. That's quite not the case. We were great defending under Lampard with a back 4, and we are now great at defending with a back 5. Which is great and props to Tuchel for recovering that solidity. But I just don't like the rewriting of history that's going on, sorry, I'm a grumpy oldish git.

The ball retention and passing out from the back in order to force Liverpool out last night was as good as anything we saw under Sarri, whose whole philosophy was built on that premise. 

Defensively, right now, we look as good as we have for years. 

Tuchel's challenge now is to get the attack firing, especially in the games that teams are going to sit deep. 

11 minutes ago, RMH said:

It is not a negative comment but a reaction to a comment in which we were crap defensively under Lampard and now we are masters of the defending universe. That's quite not the case. We were great defending under Lampard with a back 4, and we are now great at defending with a back 5. Which is great and props to Tuchel for recovering that solidity. But I just don't like the rewriting of history that's going on, sorry, I'm a grumpy oldish git.

I think one thing we can all agree on is the biggest difference is Mendy, it's no coincidence so many teams are regularly failing to even get shots on target with him in goal (Liverpool's only one last night was the tamest of tame efforts).

Tommy deserves a medal for getting Christensen back on track, the single best thing he's done since he arrived. I was worried he was trying to get Kepa back in the team, but Tommy can see what we can all see on that one. Even Rudiger looks like a polished defender, he still worries me the most in our defence, but fair play he has kept the mistakes to a minimum.

proud award GIF by Cartoon Hangover

35 minutes ago, RMH said:

We were great defending under Lampard with a back 4, and we are now great at defending with a back 5.

Only from late October until early December though. With Thiago Silva. So while I love Lampard it was only for a short period of time with T.Silva available that we looked good defensively under him.

Defensively I think we have taken massive steps forward since Tuchel's arrival. Been without Silva for most of that time as well which makes it even more impressive.

At least the Nay sayers will give it a rest now, time to park the Lampard feelings, this guy is a thinking and pro active manager, doesn't suffer fools, he knows his objectives and is going for it, settling on a back 3, gives him such flexibility, if played properly, can be unbeatable..

I think the saying is

one swallow doesn’t make a spring!

Great performance last night, let’s not get carried away, I’m hopeful this was the start of much better performances, but let’s see.

I’m not being negative, but every dog has its day, I mean James ‘Buster’ Douglas beat Mike Tyson 😂

25 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Only from late October until early December though. With Thiago Silva. So while I love Lampard it was only for a short period of time with T.Silva available that we looked good defensively under him.

Defensively I think we have taken massive steps forward since Tuchel's arrival. Been without Silva for most of that time as well which makes it even more impressive.

Not sure I agree, Silva was a massive upgrade in my opinion, but I am more with @Argo in that it was when Mendy arrived that we started getting clean sheets. Regarding the period before October, we still had Kepa on goal if I remember correctly. But even so, we saw a massive improvement in defending set pieces. We went from getting a goal every set piece the opponent had last season to not being likely to concede and even being one of the teams scoring more from set pieces.

As a team, we are defending better. It's not like Mendy's been making top class saves every game, generally the danger was snuffed out before it get into the box. The front line are pressing well to stop the quick release from the backline, Kante and his partner are providing cover in the middle, and the defence unit stays tight to block out the easiest routes on goal. The crosses aren't hurting us as much as used to, we aren't allowing much cross from by-line, which makes defending the cross a lot easier for Mendy and the defenders. Individuals have stepped up, but let's not deny it the new system is developing well.

5 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

As a team, we are defending better. It's not like Mendy's been making top class saves every game, generally the danger was snuffed out before it get into the box. The front line are pressing well to stop the quick release from the backline, Kante and his partner are providing cover in the middle, and the defence unit stays tight to block out the easiest routes on goal. The crosses aren't hurting us as much as used to, we aren't allowing much cross from by-line, which makes defending the cross a lot easier for Mendy and the defenders. Individuals have stepped up, but let's not deny it the new system is developing well.

When a defense is this solid the keeper always plays a big part, defense can't do their job to the maximum if they don't have complete confidence in the keeper behind them. Case in point, look at how quickly our impenetrable defense under Jose 1.0 turned bobbins when it was Hilario behind them instead of Cech, or United's in the same era with Foster instead of Van De Sar.

10 games in and I'm largely happy with the direction we're heading in under Tuchel.

Positives

• Remain unbeaten under him, which is impressive considering we've played Tottenham, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United and Liverpool in that time.
  • Defence is solid as a rock, with only 2 goals conceded in that time.
  • Mount and Christiensen are both thriving under him. Fantastic that Mount has silenced his doubters that believed he was only getting game time due to his close relationship with Frank.

Negatives

• Still not scoring enough, but I'm confident Tuchel is working on this and he's main focus is to grind out results and get our defence in order at this stage.
  • Southampton performance was the only blip in his first ten games, both tactically and with the starting line up.
  • Some criticism on tinkering with the line up too much, but I accept he's still trying to ascertain his best 11 which takes time.

Tuchel's priority in order is:

• Secure a top 4 spot, even if it has to be a grind to get there. This alone would be a pass mark if he can achieve it.
  • Silverware (most likely the FA Cup).
  • Go as far as we can in the Champions League. I think under the right circumstances, we can do serious damage in the competition and go further than most expect.
Edited by Jezz

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Are there any cunning linguists in here?  What is the German for "Big Sam Pulis"

Not Tuchel's fault though imo, I can't blame him for prioritising defence at the minute. Every best attacker we've got has been out of form for months. So I don't think it's Tuchel being negative. 

(Besides the Southampton game, really should've gave that a go)

Edited by Slojo
11 hours ago, Dragos said:

Tuchel has a different mentality than Lampard(training+tactics), but i also think Frank lost the dressing-room, just like Conte or Sarri. I know that was a lot of discussions here after Frank got sacked, but im sure that he is happy with how the team is performing at this moment. And his coaching legacy lives on with Mount or James delivering at the highest standard.

Yeah one thing for sure, I don't think Mount would've been at this level if it wasn't for Frank. 

He was good for Derby, but he never looked Chelsea material just yet, still had ways to go. People on here were surprised at first with how often he was playing to start with. We expected the likes of Abraham, CHO and Reece to play.