Official Thomas Tuchel

That performance yesterday was like a collection of the best things of the 3 previous managers.

Conte's shape, defensive resilience, organisation, and countering. 

Sarri's playing out of defense, vertical tiki taka. 

Lampards trust in the youth and faith that they can be as good as anyone. 

All sewn together nicely with Tuchel finally finding the right balance of when to press, and when to sit. 

Really excited to see how far he can take us, you need these sort of big wins like this and Atletico, if you are going to keep players believing in you, and it builds trust from the players in his tactics, and also in the manager in his players to carry out the tactics. I think this has been a key stumblimg block under sarri and lampard, both had their own visions, but it takes some big performances to earn total trust from the players. 

Really good set of games coming up now, all very winnable before we go away to City, and we should be looking to catch united and Leicester now.

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I think we're very underrated when it comes to playing it out from the back. Besides City we are comfortably one of the best sides at doing it, have been for a while. 

Definitely, and know there is plenty of times when we as fans are thinking just clear it, but Tuchel said it best in his post match interview, the solution to the high press is play through the middle. It takes composure and balls of steel though, but there 5 or 6 times we played one touch football and completely by passed 6 liverpool players. It started with Sarri, but Lamps continued with it, and now Tuchel seems like he is going to be the main beneficiary with how well drilled we are at doing it.

2 minutes ago, big blue said:

Definitely, and know there is plenty of times when we as fans are thinking just clear it, but Tuchel said it best in his post match interview, the solution to the high press is play through the middle. It takes composure and balls of steel though, but there 5 or 6 times we played one touch football and completely by passed 6 liverpool players. It started with Sarri, but Lamps continued with it, and now Tuchel seems like he is going to be the main beneficiary with how well drilled we are at doing it.

It's nerve wrecking and you brick it, especially when Mendy is on the ball, he's almost had a few slip ups as it is. But it really is an effective tactic, and I don't think we as fans give the players enough credit for it. Sometimes in the matchday thread I see complaints about how poor we are playing it from the back and I just don't understand, if you think this is poor, go watch another team try it, they can't do it as well as we do, not even Arsenal, only City are better. 

I still remember how annoyed Bruno Fernandes was against us the game before, he was constantly chasing shadows and he eventually got fed up and stopped running around the 70th minute. 

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The ball retention and passing out from the back in order to force Liverpool out last night was as good as anything we saw under Sarri, whose whole philosophy was built on that premise. 

Defensively, right now, we look as good as we have for years. 

Tuchel's challenge now is to get the attack firing, especially in the games that teams are going to sit deep. 

12 minutes ago, big blue said:

7 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It's nerve wrecking and you brick it, especially when Mendy is on the ball, he's almost had a few slip ups as it is. But it really is an effective tactic, and I don't think we as fans give the players enough credit for it. Sometimes in the matchday thread I see complaints about how poor we are playing it from the back and I just don't understand, if you think this is poor, go watch another team try it, they can't do it as well as we do, not even Arsenal, only City are better. 

I still remember how annoyed Bruno Fernandes was against us the game before, he was constantly chasing shadows and he eventually got fed up and stopped running around the 70th minute. 

Yep. We have been doing it magnificently and we done it superbly again against a team who are notorious for their pressing which was a risky strategy. I was nearly having a heart attack sometimes with us playing out the back last night. It is so nerve wracking. Especially when doing it against top opposition. Luckily it paid off and heart rate got back to normal.

37 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I think we're very underrated when it comes to playing it out from the back. Besides City we are comfortably one of the best sides at doing it, have been for a while. 

You see how often we lose the ball at it? 

I am the second best looking boy child in my family - and I am f**king ugly.  Us being second best behind city doesn't make us good at it!

Edited by nonotnowjim

49 minutes ago, Slojo said:

This really was fantastic, one of the best football I’ve ever seen us play. We just kept it simple and made it look very easy.

I really wish Mount sent a ball through for Werner, that really would have capped off a beautiful team play.

I was really gutted when frank got sacked and hated the idea of Tuchel. But hell I love the way the guy talks and how he gets the emotion and human element of building a squad. Please let this be the one, he excites me for the future and I really think he can take us to the next level . There will be bumps but I’m sold. We’re Tommies team now. Do your stuff !!!

Wow now everyone is thinking that what Tuchel has done is mindblowing.

For me what TT has done is making us more structured offensively and play more conservative by pretty much attack with 5 player only. 

They are perfectly fine if we are talking about barely making top 4 but that isnt our aim long term, we want to go back to challenge for title against pool n city and in order to do that you need to be great at both side of the ball.  

Pretty much all the game under Tuchel so far has similar feel,we barely concede chances. We barely created chances unless the other team is simply so bad (pool suicidal high line or newcastle diamond shelvey against advanced wb)

20 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

They are perfectly fine if we are talking about barely making top 4 but that isnt our aim long term, we want to go back to challenge for title against pool n city and in order to do that you need to be great at both side of the ball.  

That's funny because I think we look like the likeliest team to challenge City to the title next season right now.

22 minutes ago, Sindre said:

That's funny because I think we look like the likeliest team to challenge City to the title next season right now.

Really ? After beating pool 1-0 ?

They have lost 5 home games in a row.

4 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

2 goals conceded in 10 and one of them is an own goal. We are still unbeaten.

In those 10 games we have faced Tottenham, Atletico and Liverpool away. We’ve beaten them comfortably.

That’s with Tuchel after 5 weeks.

21 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

2 goals conceded in 10 and one of them is an own goal. We are still unbeaten.

In those 10 games we have faced Tottenham, Atletico and Liverpool away. We’ve beaten them comfortably.

That’s with Tuchel after 5 weeks.

We played against spurs without kane and regullon, against pool that is in their worst form in year, I have no idea what atletico were doing. We played well,but not sure you can say we absolutely destroyed them. We conceded few they didnt score, we created few we score.

Tons of stuff going our way now mane missh*t,chris tackle on mane , kante handball,cho handball all can easily be given. 

Result wise it has been great,performance wise not so much. If after watching us in this 10 games and you think we are close to pool/city level, then not sure what to tell you.

Short term wise it is all good,top 4 is what we want right now. The way we play suit pandemy era big time, very safe,pretty much you can guarantee draw before game start,all good. But I expect more, usually with title contending team the season before you can tell how good they are and what is the missing pieces. You can see it in pool,city and mou 2nd spell with us. Honestly not sure about this team.

Edited by Bob stark
4 hours ago, big blue said:

That performance yesterday was like a collection of the best things of the 3 previous managers.

Conte's shape, defensive resilience, organisation, and countering. 

Sarri's playing out of defense, vertical tiki taka. 

Lampards trust in the youth and faith that they can be as good as anyone. 

All sewn together nicely with Tuchel finally finding the right balance of when to press, and when to sit. 

Really excited to see how far he can take us, you need these sort of big wins like this and Atletico, if you are going to keep players believing in you, and it builds trust from the players in his tactics, and also in the manager in his players to carry out the tactics. I think this has been a key stumblimg block under sarri and lampard, both had their own visions, but it takes some big performances to earn total trust from the players. 

Really good set of games coming up now, all very winnable before we go away to City, and we should be looking to catch united and Leicester now.

I would say you can add a couple more successful managers under Roman to this. I would include Ancelotti in the way in which he tailors the system to the players he has available and gets the most out of them. As well as Mourinho mk1 in the grinding out of wins and clean sheets.

3 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

You see how often we lose the ball at it? 

I am the second best looking boy child in my family - and I am f**king ugly.  Us being second best behind city doesn't make us good at it!

We are the 2nd best team in the league when it comes to possession, so we don't lose it as much as people think we do. 

I know it's not entertaining, and it can give you a panic attack at any minute, but we are really good at playing it out from the back imo, it's one of our best attributes. I can understand the criticism with not wanting to play that way, and criticism with other areas on the pitch, but our ability to play it out from the back I won't understand, because we are very good at it. 

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

We played against spurs without kane and regullon, against pool that is in their worst form in year,

Yes but cliche as this is form very often goes out of the window in these games as we found out the hard way on the other side of North London.

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Yes, and how we look in general.

We've been right up there with City as the best defensive side in the league lately. And that's with our best defender injured.
Every title-winning side starts with a great defence and Tuchel is about to build a top class defensive unit.

And sure, bar Mount none of our attackers have been firing but that should be taken as a good sign for next season. We are winning at some of the toughest grounds in Europe with a misfiring attack.  So the potential in this side is sky-high if our attackers find their form and start scoring goals.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Yes but cliche as this is form very often goes out of the window in these games as we found out the hard way on the other side of North London.

Just look at Arsenal, form didn't matter, they were utterly and unbelievably sh*t and won the game. Our players couldn't raise to the occasion, in big games, you have to.

Some games are like that, no matter how sh*t Arsenal or Spurs are, they'll always turn up against one another. 

I enjoy watching the few still trying to discredit Tuchel.

That performance yesterday was up there with some of the best, you can only beat what’s put in front of you and Tuchel has done that.

I remember before these run of games some saying this is test he will get found out Blah Blah Blah Blah Beal 😂😂

I admit I was skeptical with Tuchel at first but it really was a good team performance beating Pool. Regardless of their poor run, Tuchel got Klopp beat on tactics and overall team performance.

Still lots of work to do

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

We are the 2nd best team in the league when it comes to possession, so we don't lose it as much as people think we do. 

I know it's not entertaining, and it can give you a panic attack at any minute, but we are really good at playing it out from the back imo, it's one of our best attributes. I can understand the criticism with not wanting to play that way, and criticism with other areas on the pitch, but our ability to play it out from the back I won't understand, because we are very good at it. 

I don't claim to know what our possession stats are,  but I do agree with you that we are very good at holding possession, albeit, only when there isnt much pressure on us. I would guess that our possession stats are significantly skewed due to the amount of time other teams sit back and our defenders have lots of the ball high up the pitch. I don't see many other teams passing it 300 times a game between center backs whilst on the half way line. But that's not my gripe here....

The issue comes when we play out from deep in defense when getting pressed high up. We are awful at it.

The amount of times our players trap themselves in corners, play suicide balls across the box, put the GK in awkward positions, stab a hopeful ball through the middle, loss possession or simply pass it out of touch due to the pressure they are under is absurd.

What is even more absurd is when we play 5-10 passes trying to get out, each time almost giving the ball away in a dangerous area, and then end up hoofing the ball long anyway and losing possession. If they are going to clear it long eventually anyway, then just do it at the start, and cut out the risk. 

I firmly disagree with your assessment that we are good at it, and I would say that this high risk, 'play it out when pressed' style, simply does not suit the majority of our defenders or GK. Mendy is no Ederson, Rudiger is no Pique. Zouma is no Ramos, James is no Kimmich, Chillwell is no Alaba.   Now, thats not to say  that our players are bad, but they are clearly not sufficiently comfortable or refined on the ball to a level that is needed to play out from the back consistently well. 

A simple way to see how well our players are suited to this style is to answer 1 question. Pep is widely heralded as the coach who is best at getting his teams playing out from the back. Do you genuinely think that any of our defenders would get in a Pep team?....  I really don't think they would. At a push, perhaps Christensen would, because he is the only one with a skill set that suits this style.

Its all about playing to our strengths, and the reality is that our current defenders are not well suited to this tactic (in my opinion).

No one can deny that last night was a joy of a game. Perfect first half to hit the scum with a couple of goals, one of them wrongly called off, and that could have been one or two more. And a second half where we dig in and defended solidly, although I'm not going to lie, I would have preferred a more controlled game for us with less possession for them. So credit to Tuchel for getting it spot on. I can't see where the criticism for last night's performance can come from, to be honest.

PS - I have been critical about how over-the-top some in here where about Tuchel's achievements so far, which for me where boring football (except Burnley and first half against Spuds), but last night was really good and enjoyable football.