Official Thomas Tuchel

On 18/03/2021 at 19:02, Nibs said:

Not getting carried away. Just to beat Athletico so well and make the quarter finals is kind of a bonus.

But would love to meet Real Madrid now and beat them as convincingly as we did Athletico.

Then beat the Dippers in the semi final just to make their miserable season a lot more miserable.

And then PSG in the final and TT to give a tactical masterclass and Silva to lift the trophy and they both win the CL with the "by far the greatest team that the world has ever seen. And we're Super Chelsea....................................................!"  

Perfectly doable Nibs.

I’ll preface this with the team still has a lot of work to do.

That said I am extremely impressed by Tuchel so far. The defensive record under his reign is absurd! (Thiago deserves credit too for his presence). The team has massive confidence right now defending. Players I had written off are all coming together under him.

The team unity is also wicked to watch. Silva Mount and Jorgi celly was awesome. The mental side of the game is so vital these days with everyone being so connected. These guys go out and give everything they’ve got for one another. Watching the spuds game against Dynamo the difference is night and day in mentality. Tuchel has brought that championship winning mentality. 

Could the attack be better? Maybe. But the boys are winning BIG games without clicking 100%. As the confidence continues to grow so will the goals. I am stoked for the squad and the lads right now! The future is bright!

UP THE CHELS!

Edited by Mouwry

What I love most about Tuchel is his approach. He is clearly a pragmatic guy and gains an advantage in how gives every player a chance to show what they can do. Every one can leave training feeling like they have a genuine chance of being in that starting eleven which I think helps immensely with morale. 

I don't have any regrets with Frank. Take the emotion away from it and its clear he needs time to develop as a coach. He will be back meanwhile Tuchel seems the real deal. I cannot complain about a guy who has taken us from a very unhappy fan base to genuine CL contenders in 3 months.

No one would have seen us get past Atleti when the draw was made. 

Edited by Itsintheblood89

Atlético was great, but my god did he get it wrong today... He seems to struggle against the mid-low table teams in the PL, Southampton, Leeds, Sheffield today... it’s like he does not give them the credit to be able to press and be energetic, changes most of the team and hopes for the best during the game. He needs to wake up, this is a different kind of football and the lower teams will press and be very physical when they lack the quality.

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Atlético was great, but my god did he get it wrong today... He seems to struggle against the mid-low table teams in the PL, Southampton, Leeds, Sheffield today... it’s like he does not give them the credit to be able to press and be energetic, changes most of the team and hopes for the best during the game. He needs to wake up, this is a different kind of football and the lower teams will press and be very physical when they lack the quality.

Lady luck has smiled on us in terms of not losing but we have been pretty rotten against some rubbish sides since TT came in. Wolves, Leeds, Saints, Sheff United, Man United etc. Really need to work on our motivation against such teams.

24 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Lady luck has smiled on us in terms of not losing but we have been pretty rotten against some rubbish sides since TT came in. Wolves, Leeds, Saints, Sheff United, Man United etc. Really need to work on our motivation against such teams.

Not sure if it is motivation or just TT chaining too much the team and not preparing properly against them. We have been fantastic , and a proper team against top teams, but my god we look disjointed agains sh*t teams, and I think it's probably because he tinkers too much with the starting team and everybody looks lost. 

To be fair, it made sense to make a number of changes today as some players need rest to avoid injury and some players needed minutes under their belt. Had no problem with the changes or the starting line up. We looked fairly comfortable if a bit lacklustre but for me it was the subs he got wrong today. I guess Christensen had a knock but I would have brought on Rudiger as Azpi had a shocker when he came on and we were lucky not to be punished.

Would have brought Kante on earlier to try and take control of the game and why not put Werner on for Giroud? The subs were all over the place and TT got lucky today. Said before he has a touch of the golden bollocks about him and so far whatever he does seems to pay off, but we were lucky. When you are under the cosh as we were, the last thing you want tp see is your luxury players like Ziyech and Havertz. Yet Ziyech nets the second and it makes it look like he got it spot on again!!

35 minutes ago, Nibs said:

To be fair, it made sense to make a number of changes today as some players need rest to avoid injury and some players needed minutes under their belt. Had no problem with the changes or the starting line up. We looked fairly comfortable if a bit lacklustre but for me it was the subs he got wrong today. I guess Christensen had a knock but I would have brought on Rudiger as Azpi had a shocker when he came on and we were lucky not to be punished.

Would have brought Kante on earlier to try and take control of the game and why not put Werner on for Giroud? The subs were all over the place and TT got lucky today. Said before he has a touch of the golden bollocks about him and so far whatever he does seems to pay off, but we were lucky. When you are under the cosh as we were, the last thing you want tp see is your luxury players like Ziyech and Havertz. Yet Ziyech nets the second and it makes it look like he got it spot on again!!

ok you would have brought on Rüdiger instead  of Azpi because he had a shocker? what if he brought Rüdiger and he had a shocker, you would have brought Azpi? Sounds like nonsense to me..

well you always need a little bit of luck..thats football. He might have had that today but it is no coincidence that he has the best point average of all coaches everywhere he's been coaching so far. Trust me he knows much better than you do.

He changed many players today, let them have some game time. All of them who played little the past weeks showed they don't deserve to be in the first 11. Still Chelsea won, next round. All good. City will be a different test, but there will be a different team on the pitch with a different attitude.

Edited by jony92
19 minutes ago, jony92 said:

ok you would have brought on Rüdiger instead  of Azpi because he had a shocker? what if he brought Rüdiger and he had a shocker, you would have brought Azpi? Sounds like nonsense to me..

well you always need a little bit of luck..thats football. He might have had that today but it is no coincidence that he has the best point average of all coaches everywhere he's been coaching so far. Trust me he knows much better than you do.

He changed many players today, let them have some game time. All of them who played little the past weeks showed they don't deserve to be in the first 11. Still Chelsea won, next round. All good. City will be a different test, but there will be a different team on the pitch with a different attitude.

No, I would have brought Rudiger on because he has been brilliant lately - arguably MOTM performances. Azpi came on and struggled badly and we were lucky it didn't cost us. Azpi has been a great servant - one of the very best and he is still a good squad player, but he is clearly in decline and TT got away with one today, just as he did with the other subs too.

Edited by Nibs

Our next game, WBA at home. Early Saturday slot 🙊🙉🙈

Our league rivals same day

Leicester vs City

Sunday

United vs Brighton 

Arsenal Vs Liverpool 

Then Monday,

Everton vs Palace

Wolves vs West Ham

City may well give us a chance to gain on Leicester, Arsenal our gap on Liverpool. Otherwise I dont see gains but our game is a pain for us as early kick off plus a team with less players away and big sam leaves me concerned.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Not sure about this. To the extent that there might be a pattern here, it’s exactly as it should be if we want to get serious about challenging for titles and cups. We can’t sustain the same level every game (physically and mentally impossible) so if we are playing our best against the strongest sides while doing enough to win / sometimes draw against the weaker ones, that’s a good thing. This applies to pretty much all sport. A big factor that has separated Djokovic, Nadal and Federer from the rest over the years is the ability to save their best tennis for the crucial matches and points. Back to football, pick pretty much any dream club side from any era and they’ll have played a fair share of dull, narrow wins, draws and even the odd loss (we haven’t even had that yet but we will and all hell will break loose on here) against lesser opposition over the course of a season. 

But I’m not even sure there’s such a pronounced pattern in the first place. We were pretty convincing against Newcastle and Burnley yet you leave those out. You include Wolves, TT’s first game in charge (cut him some slack 🙂 ), while United, much as we dislike them, are hardly rubbish. 

Edited by Dean
11 hours ago, RMH said:

I think it is more on how we play. After 10 games, it is pretty clear we probably will be good against better team and just ok against smaller side. 

6 hours ago, Dean said:

Not sure about this. To the extent that there might be a pattern here, it’s exactly as it should be if we want to get serious about challenging for titles and cups. We can’t sustain the same level every game (physically and mentally impossible) so if we are playing our best against the strongest sides while doing enough to win / sometimes draw against the weaker ones, that’s a good thing. This applies to pretty much all sport. A big factor that has separated Djokovic, Nadal and Federer from the rest over the years is the ability to save their best tennis for the crucial matches and points. Back to football, pick pretty much any dream club side from any era and they’ll have played a fair share of dull, narrow wins, draws and even the odd loss (we haven’t even had that yet but we will and all hell will break loose on here) against lesser opposition over the course of a season. 

But I’m not even sure there’s such a pronounced pattern in the first place. We were pretty convincing against Newcastle and Burnley yet you leave those out. You include Wolves, TT’s first game in charge (cut him some slack 🙂 ), while United, much as we dislike them, are hardly rubbish. 

I think we clearly lack some experience, leadership and decisiveness against lower teams that mostly focus on being good defensively while at the same time bigger teams dare to play a more open game and that leaves us more space in attack. But the players still run and make the effort just as they would do against a bigger team, I don't think our players are saving their best for the best games, I do however think that it's a good thing that even when the players find it more difficult that we can win anyway - that is something that big teams have, they push for a good results despite an average performance.

It's all about the small things but in general I think that the fact that we do have over 60% possession most of the time helps us to find a way to win, Tuchel's tactics are really good even if he had almost no time to work on anything in particular. Even a well oiled team like Atletico Madrid couldn't create much at all against us because of the way we play now - in the first game we controlled the game so well and that 1 ball came and Giroud took it brilliantly, in the second game Atletico Madrid simply had to try something more and that resulted in our counter attack and that was game over.

If a team wants to score against us they have to work really hard for it, this wasn't the case earlier in the season and last season either but now we press really well and we don't allow much space in the final third so the opposition really must take a risk and put more players forward but that comes with a price, Lampard's tactic included us having more players going forward and while we were scoring many goals we were also conceding a whole lot as well and it was easy to break our defense.

I don't think you can compare tennis to football in that sense because before when we had a more experienced team that had more world class players, the smaller games were more secured wins than now, and we had this attitude and stubbornness and a huge will to just brush off the smaller teams, if anything I believe that we have lost a bit of that kind of champions mentality that someone like Djokovic has shown, I guess it's normal as well since we're building up a new generation.

4 hours ago, Deino said:

We look good against tougher opponents but shockingly disorganized against the weaker ones. 

Because for the most part better teams are going to push out more with gives you some space to work with behind the defence. 

A lot of the mid table, lower sides sit back further and that's where we're struggling. 

We're not breaking down stubborn teams in open play. It took an own goal to get our noses in front against Sheffield United and Everton. Didn't score against Leeds, didn't score against Manchester United. Needed a penalty for the draw against Southampton. 

If not for the defence performing so outstandingly results would be very different.

Defensively Tuchel has performed miracles, regardless of who plays in the backline we look unlikely to conceed. 

But he's got to address our attacking play. The lack of goals we are scoring ourselves from open play is concerning. We're not creating good goal scoring oppotunites for ourselves despite consistently dominating possession. 

59 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Because for the most part better teams are going to push out more with gives you some space to work with behind the defence. 

A lot of the mid table, lower sides sit back further and that's where we're struggling. 

We're not breaking down stubborn teams in open play. It took an own goal to get our noses in front against Sheffield United and Everton. Didn't score against Leeds, didn't score against Manchester United. Needed a penalty for the draw against Southampton. 

If not for the defence performing so outstandingly results would be very different.

Defensively Tuchel has performed miracles, regardless of who plays in the backline we look unlikely to conceed. 

But he's got to address our attacking play. The lack of goals we are scoring ourselves from open play is concerning. We're not creating good goal scoring oppotunites for ourselves despite consistently dominating possession. 

IMO why our defense suddenly look good and why we look quite akward offensively is connected. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I agree to most of it - but I do have the impression that by now we have a much better shape with say the first 14-15 players I'd call starters by now and we do create more than enough chances and half-chances to score 2-3 goals per game if those players are on the pitch. If TT would have started more or less the same team that went up against Atleti / Liverpool / Everton I bet we would have savely brought the game home yesterday or vs Leeds for example. The thing is: with the the heavy rotation the other players, say 16-20, are not that well integrated within the system  (and lack eventually a bit the potential, at least yet) and also have to deal with the negatives that a heavy rotation brings along naturally. So it looks disjointed and will always make it extra hard to break down a well organised defense. I can understand why TT is rotating that much and wouldn't hold it against him but of course I can understand if others disagree with that, not saying you do btw. 

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I think we clearly lack some experience, leadership and decisiveness against lower teams that mostly focus on being good defensively while at the same time bigger teams dare to play a more open game and that leaves us more space in attack. But the players still run and make the effort just as they would do against a bigger team, I don't think our players are saving their best for the best games, I do however think that it's a good thing that even when the players find it more difficult that we can win anyway - that is something that big teams have, they push for a good results despite an average performance.

It's all about the small things but in general I think that the fact that we do have over 60% possession most of the time helps us to find a way to win, Tuchel's tactics are really good even if he had almost no time to work on anything in particular. Even a well oiled team like Atletico Madrid couldn't create much at all against us because of the way we play now - in the first game we controlled the game so well and that 1 ball came and Giroud took it brilliantly, in the second game Atletico Madrid simply had to try something more and that resulted in our counter attack and that was game over.

If a team wants to score against us they have to work really hard for it, this wasn't the case earlier in the season and last season either but now we press really well and we don't allow much space in the final third so the opposition really must take a risk and put more players forward but that comes with a price, Lampard's tactic included us having more players going forward and while we were scoring many goals we were also conceding a whole lot as well and it was easy to break our defense.

I don't think you can compare tennis to football in that sense because before when we had a more experienced team that had more world class players, the smaller games were more secured wins than now, and we had this attitude and stubbornness and a huge will to just brush off the smaller teams, if anything I believe that we have lost a bit of that kind of champions mentality that someone like Djokovic has shown, I guess it's normal as well since we're building up a new generation.

The thing is that the bold part is wrong. Tuchel’s tactics have been great against top opposition but has been sh*t against dross teams. Barnsley, Southampton, Leeds or yesterday Sheffield were much better teams than us, and created enough chances to have beaten us comfortably (maybe not Leeds). So my question is why we dominate Liverpool and Atlético, top teams with very different styles, but get completely dominated and overrun by Barnsley and Sheffield Utd? So far it’s been great that we get points or got to the semifinals, but we will start losing to dross unless he changes something when playing these teams.

42 minutes ago, weetee said:

If TT would have started more or less the same team that went up against Atleti / Liverpool / Everton I bet we would have savely brought the game home yesterday or vs Leeds for example.

Would have to disagree. We've seen nothing from Tuchel's 14 games in charge to suggest that we are going to comfortably score against any opposition. 

At the moment we average 1.2 goals per game under Tuchel which is fine all the time we're keeping so many clean sheets but realisitcally that's not going to last (McGoldrick should have burried his header yesterday for an example). 

This isn't me criticising Tuchel, I think he's done extremely well so far but we can't continue with scoring so few goals. 

We're the lowest scoring side out of the top 7 sides.

We lack a genuine goal threat and it's the biggest problem with our team that Tuchel needs to address. 

I don't think it's a case of having the wrong players because the likes of Werner, Havertz, Ziyech, Abraham, Pulisic (sort of) have historically shown they're capable of scoring with some sort of regularity. 

Tuchel needs to change something in our build up play to start us creating better and more frequent goal scoring chances.  

31 minutes ago, RMH said:

The thing is that the bold part is wrong. Tuchel’s tactics have been great against top opposition but has been sh*t against dross teams. Barnsley, Southampton, Leeds or yesterday Sheffield were much better teams than us, and created enough chances to have beaten us comfortably (maybe not Leeds). So my question is why we dominate Liverpool and Atlético, top teams with very different styles, but get completely dominated and overrun by Barnsley and Sheffield Utd? So far it’s been great that we get points or got to the semifinals, but we will start losing to dross unless he changes something when playing these teams.

You can't say we were dominated by Barnsley and Sheffield. That's just plain wrong.

And we have dominated sides like Burnley, Newcastle & Everton under Tuchel. So while it's been a mixed bags against some of the smaller teams it not been all bad.

Also worth nothing Tuchel is juggling three competitions right now. Yesterday was Sheffields once chance to make something out of their season and they were very fired up against our B-side basically. A win was plenty good enough.

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Would have to disagree. We've seen nothing from Tuchel's 14 games in charge to suggest that we are going to comfortably score against any opposition. 

At the moment we average 1.2 goals per game under Tuchel which is fine all the time we're keeping so many clean sheets but realisitcally that's not going to last (McGoldrick should have burried his header yesterday for an example). 

This isn't me criticising Tuchel, I think he's done extremely well so far but we can't continue with scoring so few goals. 

We're the lowest scoring side out of the top 7 sides.

We lack a genuine goal threat and it's the biggest problem with our team that Tuchel needs to address. 

I don't think it's a case of having the wrong players because the likes of Werner, Havertz, Ziyech, Abraham, Pulisic (sort of) have historically shown they're capable of scoring with some sort of regularity. 

Tuchel needs to change something in our build up play to start us creating better and more frequent goal scoring chances.  

I'd say we created plenty of chances to score far more then we did in three out of the four games we played before Sheffield. Against Liverpool, Everton and Atletico at home.

While there is certainly room for improvement in terms of creating chances i'd argue finishing them is our biggest problem. 

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I'd say we created plenty of chances to score far more then we did in three out of the four games we played before Sheffield. Against Liverpool, Everton and Atletico at home.

While there is certainly room for improvement in terms of creating chances i'd argue finishing them is our biggest problem. 

But what were the chances that we created from open play yesterday? 

We had 3 shots on target yesterday. Pulisic when he latched onto a poor pass from Norwood, Ziyech's goal in 92nd minute and I don't remember the other.

How many times have we played a game recently where the game ends and you think to yourself that their keep has played a blinder... Or at the very least made a top class save?