20/21 League Position

Final position ?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Final position ?

• 11-17
    • relegated

• coco pinned this topic

4th

We have a history of doing much better and achieving our targets after changing managers mid-season. The honeymood period has to be really, really strong in this case however, but I believe in the end we'll make it there after a couple of teams above us implode. Still a long way to go though and anything can happen.

I’m not sure there will be a honeymoon period under Tuchel. It has to be the most underwhelming appointment of a manager under Roman, because of how we sacked Frank, nothing to do with Tuchel’s ability. I forgot about Benitez but you get the point I’m making.

I expect Tuchel to get us firing again eventually though.

I put 6th down on vote, but the way this season is going, any team that wins 4 or 5 games back to back will be on a title charge let alone a top 6 finish, saying that we aren't going to win league so hope City pull away into the sunset, so as to piss Sky off so they can't have orgasms over a close title race, then 2/3/4th will be a bun fight for the final places. To be totally honest not the be all and end all where we finish, more importantly just want to get back to the Bridge and away games for the day out, been along time since Everton at home and Bournemouth away last year.

If we get on some good run of form then fifth place is possible and that's the maximum.We would have to be on some title winning form to get top4.So probably 12-13 wins and we get top 4 haha

Edited by mm24

Expecting 5th or 6th, we have left ourselves with too much to do to get top 4 in my opinion.

Although if we go out to Atletico, which is very probable, then maybe it will benedit us in the run in, but we are relying on a number of teams to go through pretty poor form, while we put together title challenger form, which is the sort of run we havent seen since Conte 2nd season when we won 14/18 between the Burnley loss on the opening day, and the arsenal 2-2 on new years day.

Big ask for a manager coming in mid season.

We picked up 29 points from the first half of the season, and we know that was not acceptable to the board. So I imagine they expect an improvement on that tally from the second half of the season. If Tuchel manages to turn improve our tally from the first half by a couple of wins we could realistically finish on mid 60's in terms of points. I reckon we will finish outside top 4, but if we somehow get close to 70 points we will have a chance. Realistically I think somewhere between 6th and 8th. If Tuchel can build some confidence perhaps we can make a run in the FA Cup, or even surprise a few people in the Champs League.

4th spot finish

• 1995/1996 = Aston Villa (63 points)
  • 1996/1997 = Liverpool (68 points)
  • 1997/1998 = Chelsea (63 points)
  • 1998/1999 = Leeds United (67 points)
  • 1999/2000 = Liverpool (67 points)
  • 2000/2001 = Leeds United (68 points)
  • 2001/2002 = Newcastle United (71 points)
  • 2002/2003 = Chelsea (67 points)
  • 2003/2004 = Liverpool (60 points)
  • 2004/2005 = Everton (61 points)
  • 2005/2006 = Arsenal (67 points)
  • 2006/2007 = Arsenal (68 points)
  • 2007/2008 = Liverpool (76 points)
  • 2008/2009 = Arsenal (72 points)
  • 2009/2010 = Tottenham Hotspur (70 points)
  • 2010/2011 = Arsenal (68 points)
  • 2011/2012 = Tottenham Hotspur (69 points)
  • 2012/2013 = Arsenal (73 points)
  • 2013/2014 = Arsenal (79 points)
  • 2014/2015 = Manchester United (70 points)
  • 2015/2016 = Manchester City (66 points)
  • 2016/2017 = Liverpool (76 points)
  • 2017/2018 = Liverpool (75 points)
  • 2018/2019 = Tottenham Hotspur (71 points)
  • 2019/2020 = Chelsea (66 points)

Points range = 60-79

80+ points would guarantee a top 3 spot.

The maximum we can attain is 84 points, assuming we won every single match from now until the end of the season.

Since 2006, you've needed a minimum of 66 points to have any chance of a top 4 finish. That would mean 36 points in 18 games if we're to reach it. My guess is roughly 70 points will get you a top 4 spot this season.

Liverpool was sitting 4th after 19 games with 34 points this season. If the form of all clubs including them remained the same, they would attain 68 points for the entirety of the season.

Great weekend for us, with a welcome return to winning ways, and the three teams immediately above us all losing. I think Liverpool will consolidate in 2nd behind City, but we could easily reel in United and Leicester if we can get a run of wins going ... neither of them look all that to me !

I think we'll get top 4. 

Liverpool and City will continue to pull away, Everton, West Ham and Villa will slowly drop off, Utd and Leicester to be inconsistent. I think we'll beat Spurs on Thursday and go on a good unbeaten run. I'm saying by the time we play (and beat) Everton on 06/03, we'll be in the top 4. 

EDIT: Leicester's last 3 games are Utd away, Chelsea Away, Spurs at home. Think they'll definitely bottle top 4 again.  

Edited by Hessleboink

Looking at the table even 2nd is attainable with Liverpool's injury list. Thursday however is absolutely crucial to the season, despite Spurs looking hilariously bad of late they are still above us on GD with a game in hand. Win this one and I think we can really kick on, all of a sudden we'll be above Spurs and have a Vardyless Leicester in 4th as our only serious obstacle in terms of top four above us (no disrespect to West Ham), lose and we have it all to do again, Spurs will be 3 points ahead with a game in hand and even Arsenal may be above us.

It's a shame City have re activated beast mode else they'd still be a small chance of sneaking into the title race!

Edited by Argo