Chelsea v Burnley (PL) Sun 31st Jan 2021 12:00 GMT

coco

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Miles better in every way, one has to admit. Subbing arguably our two best performers was maybe controversial but I get the rationale. Nailed on starters ex-Mendy assuming we keep this formation: 

Silva (if fit), Kova, Azpi, Mount, CHO (James breathing down his neck maybe?). Pulisic?. Not convinced by Rudiger and would prefer Zouma or even Christensen. Will we see Kante come in for Jorginho (I’m not a hater just asking the question)? Werner optically awful but a lot of it may be down to confidence. I haven’t given up on him. Alonso over Chilwell tilll proven otherwise?

I personally wouldn’t bring Kante back into the team unless we are playing teams where we’ll be on the defensive end. I’d keep Jorginho in the team against teams that are siting back against us and play Kante when we are playing against the cities and the Liverpool’s who will more likely attack us.

Edited by Frankie8Lampard

10 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Another excellent game for Cho! Really been impressed with his performances in this new role and hopes he keeps improving. 

I hope he doesn't play wingback against spurs or Jose will expose him defensively. I won't mind James playing wingback and CHO playing further ahead in the front 3

6 minutes ago, Sheva said:

We are currently a team out of form finding our way under a new manager and they have just come off two big wins against villa and Liverpool full of confidence and they didnt have a sniff. 

It was an impressive dominate performance. 

Yeah it was, but i will get more excited when we eventually beat someone in the 9 places above us.

5 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Not quite ... Azpi was playing at centre back ... making it all the more incredible that he popped up where he did !

That's where our full backs were going when we played back 4 with Lampard, doubling with  the wingers. So no surprise he showed where he did, habit?

2 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I personally wouldn’t bring Kante back into the team unless we are playing teams where we’ll be on the defensive end. I’d keep Jorginho in the team against teams that are siting back against us and play Kante when we are playing against the cities and the Liverpool’s who will more likely attack us.

Yeah makes sense. Just factoring in the brilliance of Kante and what Tuchel himself has said about him and asking the question.

12 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

You could see how happy the players were for Alonso when he scored. 

That was quite telling for me says a lot about why Lampard couldn't continue the rift in the dressing room appears to have been bad

Great professional performance from the team, the rest will come with our attackers once it clicks. Tammy unfortunately didn't have a great game, we also need to shoot a bit more outside of the box when in space, we had a few moments like that.

Edited by Malcolm9

1 hour ago, Nevamind said:

I dont see anything from this game that suggest defensive problems. He is doing fine. 

And then he showed up with a worldie... I'll have to slag off Werner lol

But seriously, all danger we carried was from CHO's side, and they targeted Alonso's side in he first half. I think that with Rudi there he was covered, but sometimes he was too late for the defensive job. But hey ho, what do I know, he got a superb goal and gave us the ease of mind we needed. 

2 minutes ago, coco said:

Yeah it was, but i will get more excited when we eventually beat someone in the 9 places above us.

Anyone can beat anyone in this league and Burnley have showed that. I'm not getting carried away by beating them. A few weeks ago it would of been a nervy game for us. Like the Fulham game. It was encouraging to see us control and dominate the game. 

It gives us confidence going into the big game on Thursday now and hopefully we can repeat that performance against a Spurs side without Kane. 

Normal order starts to be resumed, we are back above Arsenal.

The side today seemed balanced which was interesting considering the changes.

• CHO played well as a right wing back and was heavily involved and could have had a goal yet certainly deserved an assist or two.
  • Mount was lively too and looked to be one of our players that were going to get us a goal yet his finishing today was off.
  • Kovacic was good in midfield continually looking to get us down the pitch and his distribution was reasonable too.
  • Jorginho played well too, good positioning and closing down.
  • Azpi worked well with CHO to score his goal, a clever strike as Pope was expecting a cross.
  • Silva was good both defensively and coming forward at times when we were struggling to break Burnley’s defensive press.
  • Rudiger didn’t notice any errors.
  • Mendy worries me at times when he dribbles in the box though today he got away with it. Also not sure about that last corner he seemed rooted to the spot. He didn’t have a lot to save today, Burnley were poor offensively.
  • Alonso was not heavily involved as most of our play went down the right and had Werner in front of him. He was his normal combative self. He had one chance with a header which to me looked like he was in two minds between an attempt on goal and heading across for someone else. After Pulisic was involved he was found on the edge of the box and he showed once again he can score as a well as any striker, what a goal!
  • After the goal Alonso kissed the CFC emblem on his shirt.
  • Werner very poor finishing, could have had a hattrick. Kept playing and making good moves. Think he needs help to sort out his mental block.
  • Tammy, lost his touch today. Didn’t seem able to hold the ball and was lucky not to get booked in a push and shove with a Burnley player over what looked like a minor thing.
  • Pulisic on in second half had good movement and always looked threatening. Good assist from the left wing into Alonso for the second goal. Maybe poor decision making in not finding Havertz for a late break.
  • Havertz good energy and positioning after coming on.
  • James also a late sub who continued out good work down the right though did not look as polished as CHO.

Manager

• Interesting line up with CHO at wing back again.
  • Surprised to see Jorginho and Kova in the midfield.
  • Team seem balanced and had a good energy and tempo.
  • Sub at half time was surprising though Tammy was not playing well and Pulisic got us an assist.
  • Other subs were neutral for me neither better or worse.

As I said earlier good to be back above the Gunners!

24 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Chilwell is much better lb than Alonso that is obvious but Emerson is awful but for some reason lamp prefer him. 

Bit of conundrum now for TT and the Board as to which of the LB's they try and move out of possibly today or in the summer; just don't see a squad with 3 LB choices. I would still have Chilwell as my first choice with Alonso playing against the more defensive bottom feeders. Emerson looks like the odd man out now.  

19 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Kante is a must against Spurs, its going to be a battle of the midfields and you need someone like Kante against Ndombele and Hojberg, Jorginho and Kova will get out muscled. 

Tickle has done alright today ! 
Mason, CHO and in the 2nd Pully were all great, Jorginho & Kova looked decent and a lot of the sideways passing shtye was cut out. 
Burnley didn’t show up today and we have beaten them easily recently when they have done so there’s nothing learned today really, except maybe it’s better performance threatening goal today than it was midweek using the same system and most of the same players  

the panic induced football of late was also enjoyably missing, I was unusually calm all game (not  😴 honest)  3 at the back with wingbacks worked for dividends for Conte so why not for old Tickle ?  

Aftee two games, few things that I learn. None of our three striker are playing well. Mount is always one our best performer everytime, him cho and kova was our best players today.

Alonso is cl quality wb so that goal wasn't a surprise. CHO is very good, same as against wolves but long term wise wb is not his position. Our back 3 is fine. Kova when he play well offer so much ball progression with his passing and dribbling.

Jorginho will be replaced by kante once he is fit, this is I am pretty sure. Our midfield does not really shield our d line very well but that is as expected, kante will fix that. A lot of people said but Jorginho offer passing against weaker team, it was Kovacic who offer the majority of ball forward ball. If I want a player to give 5 yard pass to kova, I much rather have a player who can cover the d line. 

Well that was interesting. It’s been a while since we looked so well organised. Thought we really controlled that. Silva was terrific at the back. Probably MOM. Kovacic and Jorginho excellent in midfield. Long time since one could say that. Jorginho also in contention for MOM. He was superb today. CHO as wing-back giving us a lot of threat. Mount such a composed player for his age. Pulisic looking as if he’s getting back to form.

A lot of positives for Tuchel. He’s clearly a smart manager and not afraid to change things. He wasn’t worried about bringing off Tammy at half time, who was having a stinker.

Lots to build on. Just needs to get our strikers firing but that was a breath of fresh air to see us looking like a proper football team again. 

9 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Bit of conundrum now for TT and the Board as to which of the LB's they try and move out of possibly today or in the summer; just don't see a squad with 3 LB choices. I would still have Chilwell as my first choice with Alonso playing against the more defensive bottom feeders. Emerson looks like the odd man out now.  

I think Alonso has always been excellent as a wing back and he excelled when used that way by Conte. However it is very different in a flat back 4 and that is why he hasn't featured much recently. It remains to be seen whether Tuchel persists with wing backs or plays different lineups depending on the opposition. Either way Chilwell may be fine as a wing back too but just needs time to adapt to the new position. Hopefully we will have 2 strong players on the left ultimately.

A decent 2nd half performance and a well earned 3 points.  Kovacic and Mount together with CHO were the standouts and of course Silva like a rock at the back; although I'd still like to see CHO taking on defenders one/one more than he does.  Tammy just couldn't get going and rightly was changed at HT. Werner was always looking for the early ball and seemed happier playing down the middle.   The midfield stills needs someone to be able to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and against better teams we will struggle to take control.  Overall though we looked better trying to play down the channels and middle, rather than keep tossing it down the wings putting in a hopeful cross and hoping someone would be on the end of it.  This win will certainly give the players confidence and I can see a win on the cards against Spuds in the week.

29 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Aftee two games, few things that I learn. None of our three striker are playing well. Mount is always one our best performer everytime, him cho and kova was our best players today.

Alonso is cl quality wb so that goal wasn't a surprise. CHO is very good, same as against wolves but long term wise wb is not his position. Our back 3 is fine. Kova when he play well offer so much ball progression with his passing and dribbling.

Jorginho will be replaced by kante once he is fit, this is I am pretty sure. Our midfield does not really shield our d line very well but that is as expected, kante will fix that. A lot of people said but Jorginho offer passing against weaker team, it was Kovacic who offer the majority of ball forward ball. If I want a player to give 5 yard pass to kova, I much rather have a player who can cover the d line. 

2 games in a row without a single shot on target against us. ✔️

We have now 6 clean sheets with Jorginho in the starting lineup in the league. ✔️

We haven't lost a game with Jorginho in the starting lineup since the second game of the season vs Liverpool. ✔️

You proably missed the games where we had Kante and Kovacic playing together, we were horrible. That was the lowest point of this season in many ways, Tuchel would be a smart man if he avoided that trap.

Edited by Gol15

11 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

Kante is a must against Spurs, its going to be a battle of the midfields and you need someone like Kante against Ndombele and Hojberg, Jorginho and Kova will get out muscled. 

To be honest I was worried about Jorginho/Kovacic against a physical Burnley team, but it wasn't an issue in the end. That being said Ndombele/Hojberg will be tough opposition. At least Kante was on the bench and in contention again after injury. I am sure he will get some time on the field against Spurs. Remains to be seen if he starts.