Spuds v Chelsea (PL) Thur 4th Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

3 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

He didn't take the free kick though so that's open play even if it was  a tap in from 3 yards.

Does that still count? I thought if you score from the end of a set piece it still counts as a set piece goal?

28 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

Unless Werner starts scoring Tuchel won't have much choice. 

In that case I can see us getting another forward in the summer. Giroud is 35 soon and probably leaving and I cant see us relying on Tammy. 

2 minutes ago, mm24 said:

In that case I can see us getting another forward in the summer. Giroud is 35 soon and probably leaving and I cant see us relying on Tammy. 

Kane should be available!! Cant see him staying at Spurs much longer. They wouldn't sell to us of course

59 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think we are going to struggle for end product if Tuchel does not play a genuine Centre Forward and opts for Werner who is clearly underperforming. 

Really need Giroud or Tammy leading the line. 

Giroud and Tammy were both pretty terrible in their starts under Tuchel, i dont think its a case of needing an out and out striker, I think the choice of pass is more of a concern.

Personally would like to see Havertz play there for a few games, he is a really good finisher, and it would give him some freedom.

31 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

He didn't take the free kick though so that's open play even if it was  a tap in from 3 yards.

If you score from the result of a set piece then it isn't a goal from open play. A goal from open play has to have some kind of build up. If the set piece is cleared then I believe a new passage of play has begun and if the attacking team scores from this point onwards it would count as open play.

Great win and a solid performance. Definitely need to improve our finishing/final ball, but hopefully that will come now the team appears more structured. The main difference I’ve noticed under Tuchel so far is that the pressing is more organised and less chaotic than under Lampard.

All of the starting back 5 and Christensen all looked solid and composed. Jorginho probably MOTM for me with Kovacic and Mount also playing well. There’s a good set of fixtures now between league and cup to build up some momentum ahead of the athletico game. 

Edited by Dubair

Most important above all else in our games now are results. 

So as wretched as it is to see us play so well until we shoot and we become dog and duck in that last moment, if it leads to 1-0 wins it will do.

Though it is not realistic to sustain that and we will need to do better. Plus how much more fun would it have been had we given them the thrashing they deserved?

Great result.  First half excellent in periods, but need significant improvement in final third with passing, crossing, decisions, shooting and overall being clinical.  Second half no surprise that Jose woke Spurs up, but never really an issue.

Keep building and please become a more clinical/dangerous attacking team.

We all know that Mourinho's style of football isn't good enough anymore, but that was a new low. It was like watching a lower league team vs a Premier League team. They pretty much did nothing all game, and if we had our shooting boots on, we would have hammered them. 

These kinds of tactics were the tactics he used to use in big games when he had an injury hit squad, but now it's the tactics he uses against every team, even teams that are near the bottom of the table. I can't believe Mourinho thinks a few counter attacks a game will be enough to get top 4. He's completely lost it.

It also shows how quickly things change this season. Tottenham beat Utd 6-1 away in October, and now United are 2nd and Tottenham look hopeless.

20 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

We all know that Mourinho's style of football isn't good enough anymore, but that was a new low. It was like watching a lower league team vs a Premier League team. They pretty much did nothing all game, and if we had our shooting boots on, we would have hammered them. 

These kinds of tactics were the tactics he used to use in big games when he had an injury hit squad, but now it's the tactics he uses against every team, even teams that are near the bottom of the table. I can't believe Mourinho thinks a few counter attacks a game will be enough to get top 4. He's completely lost it.

It also shows how quickly things change this season. Tottenham beat Utd 6-1 away in October, and now United are 2nd and Tottenham look hopeless.

Exactly, nowadays it's what Jose does when his team is in crisis mode. 

Mount MOTM for me. Brilliant pressing and his runs off the ball are fantastic to break away and find space. James was brilliant. Another one who went under the radar but dominated the ball and dribbled through the opposition with ease is Kovacic. Thought he was excellent last night. We have some games now where we can easily go on a winnign run.

My only gripe again since Tuchel took over is our proglifacy in front of goal. Vinicius scores that and it is 1-1 in a game we dominated. Kill of teams please more convincingly but all good. Three clean sheets in a row.

17 minutes ago, STATS said:

Mount MOTM for me. Brilliant pressing and his runs off the ball are fantastic to break away and find space. James was brilliant. Another one who went under the radar but dominated the ball and dribbled through the opposition with ease is Kovacic. Thought he was excellent last night. We have some games now where we can easily go on a winnign run.

My only gripe again since Tuchel took over is our proglifacy in front of goal. Vinicius scores that and it is 1-1 in a game we dominated. Kill of teams please more convincingly but all good. Three clean sheets in a row.

That is not a Tuchel thing though. Our forwards have been firing blanks for ages, bar the odd good patch for Tammy.