Spuds v Chelsea (PL) Thur 4th Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

1 hour ago, STATS said:

Mount MOTM for me. Brilliant pressing and his runs off the ball are fantastic to break away and find space. James was brilliant. Another one who went under the radar but dominated the ball and dribbled through the opposition with ease is Kovacic. Thought he was excellent last night. We have some games now where we can easily go on a winnign run.

My only gripe again since Tuchel took over is our proglifacy in front of goal. Vinicius scores that and it is 1-1 in a game we dominated. Kill of teams please more convincingly but all good. Three clean sheets in a row.

Our final third need improvement plus we are carrying a passenger right now. 

5 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think we are going to struggle for end product if Tuchel does not play a genuine Centre Forward and opts for Werner who is clearly underperforming. 

Really need Giroud or Tammy leading the line. 

We pretty much need that st to contribute something,it does not have to be goals. The hard part is with Giroud, he will give you hold up play, an aerial threat but we want to press (He is old and slow) so that is a no no, werner is a passenger right now, tammy is arguably our best bet but he was struggling against Burnley. 

5 hours ago, Slojo said:

For a player who looks technically superb on the ball, when it comes to finishing he looks like he doesn't even know how to shoot. I don't think I've ever seen him shoot with his laces or just put his foot through the ball, he either toe pokes it or tries to side shot it into the net, even if it's outside the box... 

I have pretty much given up on kova in final third. His end ball is poor, his shooting is poor and his decision making is poor. But you ask him to bring the ball forward, he is very2 good. 

7 hours ago, forbzy said:

Technically they are wingbacks. CHO played in that role for a couple of games so I imagine Pulisic would also be an option.

Meaning they are fullbacks, fullbacks can defend, an attacking fullback who gets up and down can play wingback well, Pulisic is an all out attacking, probing winger, he runs at players, why would you want him defending? he is nothing like a wingback. 

Just like Lampard, not much Tuchel could do about the forward unable to finish off the chances. I'm sure they all did extra shooting sessions. What's improved in the last couple of games are chances creation, the tempo, movement off the ball, and the ability to break free from press. I reckon if/when we play Werner, need to pass it as early as possible into space, let him chase and use his best asset. We did break free in the second half a few times, but just hold on the ball a couple of seconds too long.

8 hours ago, RMH said:

We’ve beaten this lot in 90 minutes under Lampard before, I think we only lost once to penalties this season in the league cup. So that’s a silly thing to say and an uncall for dig to Lampard.

Nooo I never knew that.

The way we were playing since Christmas would seem hard to believe that we would have nicked it. 

just an opinion for ffs 

I was somewhat tense going into this game.

Would have settled for a poor performance and a good result but delighted with a decent performance and a good result.

Spids looked poor and Jose has managed to zap the confidence out of them like we know he can do. Everyone scared to make a mistake that they end up making nothing.

I have friends who are Spids fans and I thought of them as I laughed with joy that normal service had been resumed and we had beaten them yet once again.

Losing to this lot was never something any of us wanted to feel just now.

What a waste of a stadium on such an unappreciative team, with mostly vile fans in a mostly vile neighbourhood.

I wonder if their anticipated regular exit from the Champions League will over time hurt them financially and that stadium could end up being a real burden?

4 hours ago, SFL82 said:

Meaning they are fullbacks, fullbacks can defend, an attacking fullback who gets up and down can play wingback well, Pulisic is an all out attacking, probing winger, he runs at players, why would you want him defending? he is nothing like a wingback. 

CHO didn't really play wb, he barely tracked back. He pretty much played rw. 

4 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Just like Lampard, not much Tuchel could do about the forward unable to finish off the chances. I'm sure they all did extra shooting sessions. What's improved in the last couple of games are chances creation, the tempo, movement off the ball, and the ability to break free from press. I reckon if/when we play Werner, need to pass it as early as possible into space, let him chase and use his best asset. We did break free in the second half a few times, but just hold on the ball a couple of seconds too long.

Rudiger played one early ball over the top to Werner in the second half and it was a decent half chance. You would think they would try it a lot more. 

1 hour ago, The Swan said:

I was somewhat tense going into this game.

Would have settled for a poor performance and a good result but delighted with a decent performance and a good result.

Spids looked poor and Jose has managed to zap the confidence out of them like we know he can do. Everyone scared to make a mistake that they end up making nothing.

I have friends who are Spids fans and I thought of them as I laughed with joy that normal service had been resumed and we had beaten them yet once again.

Losing to this lot was never something any of us wanted to feel just now.

What a waste of a stadium on such an unappreciative team, with mostly vile fans in a mostly vile neighbourhood.

I wonder if their anticipated regular exit from the Champions League will over time hurt them financially and that stadium could end up being a real burden?

With the changing world since and during this pandemic, and potential of lower crowds due to peoples changing habits and finances, and the likelihood of Spurs not getting in the top four anytime soon, yes their stadium may well be a white Elephant, wouldn’t swap our old bridge for anything!

Didn't see the match last night PC packed up, need to get another :mad:

So only seen the highlights.

Azpi making good long passes to Werner who though not scoring at least looked like he might score.

Good to see Jorginho change his penalty style.

Shame about Silva and we looked dodgy defending crosses in the second half.

Good to see us slowly climb the table again and next to blunt those Blades!

13 hours ago, axman2526 said:

That is not a Tuchel thing though. Our forwards have been firing blanks for ages, bar the odd good patch for Tammy.

I don't think it's limited to the forwards. Our midfielders are also sh*te at shooting. Our defenders seem to have a decent shot on them though.

Finally caught the replay. I thought we were solid without creating too much against a Spurs team without their main outlet.

The back three seems to have given us some more fluidity, which makes me wonder why Frank didn't use it as things got challenging.

I thought we gave Werner more of a sniff too. A couple of moments Mount and Kovacic needed to release slightly earlier and he was away.

Slowly sliding up the table only 4 points off the top 4 now.