Chelsea v Newcastle (PL) Mon 15th Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

coco

Decent performance, even allowing for the poor quality of the bar-codes. Can see Fulham going above them and Geordies getting relegated, they are that bad. Really surprised they didn't put more balls into the box to test Kepa, but glad they didn't.

Kovacic MOTM for me - very good tonight. 

Mount had an off game but at least still gives 100% - the likes of Zitech and Havertz could learn from that.

CHO decent again but he has to learn to shoot. Had a number of situations tonight where he should have got a shot away but doesn't seem to want the responsibility. Hopefully it will come.

Christensen again very good tonight both in defending and distribution.

TT does already seem to have good camaraderie with the players and the game management is definitely better but still early with much tougher fixture to come.

Hey @Munkworth I have just been on the phone with the Data analyst of Mr.T ya, so here's some pointers make sure you get this alright  ▶️

👉 Another start for Jorghy

Another clean sheet at half time 👈

👇

Another game without defeat with him in the starting lineup

Another clean sheet full time

👆

Games unbeaten when Jorginho started - 18 for the mighty Chels 17 for Italia, buona sera signorina say hi to your Gato sorry I don't know the name 🔚

Food Dancing GIF by Domino’s UK and ROII Hate Mondays Cat GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

30 minutes ago, just said:

Have to agree forbzy. Tuchel has been fortunate with the run of games he's faced since he arrived. The only tough game on paper was Tottenham and that coincided with them hitting a steep drop in form and minus two of their best players on the day.

You can only beat what's in front you but we haven't been tested yet under Tuchel's charge. It's coming next week. We need to hold judgement till then.

Yes. I think we will have a better idea after the 2 games against Athletico, and United at home. Having said that our run of wins should provide a timely boost to the confidence of the squad heading into the tougher fixtures.

Man of the match for me was Kepa....f**king brilliant from start to finish, never put a foot wrong, two world class saves.....well alright fair play to the geezer he did OK for what he had to do which wasn't a lot at the end of the day.  Kovacic was MOTM surely, ran the midfield, always looking ahead and if he didn't have two left feet and an eye for the goal in row ZZ he would be the best we've seen since the Ballack and Essien era. TT needs to give him the entire training session with nothing but shooting practice.  CHO was also OK, but again for me he doesn't drive into the box enough to force the defenders have to make a tackle, and he doesn't shoot enough when he has the space. I lost count how many times he could have had a shot on goal himself but elected to pass; James found himself in the same position that CHO did all afternoon soon after coming on and immediately tested the keeper.  

Overall a solid performance, however I am still not convinced with the lineup at the back, as soon as Newcastle started to press we all got a bit nervy and started panic passes and then we fell back into old habits of sideways and backwards nonsense; the Saints and Utd will surely press high and unless we sort that out we could be in for heap of trouble the next couple of games.  Still onward and upwards

I only saw 10 minutes here and there and mainly the first half.

Anyway my thoughts:

• Tammy when challenged by Lascelles should have been given a penalty, as Lascelles went through him.
  • The only thing with Tammy was at that moment he was bambi on ice with the ball caught between his legs rather than primed for the killer shot.
  • Werner's finishing was atrocious though his cross for the first was decent and he got his tap-in, beware he scored a tap-in in the cup and it did not result in a flurry of goals quite the opposite. Werner did take a couple of forearm smashed the officials decided to ignore.
  • Giroud took his tap-in nicely and near the end probably fouled Carroll in our box yet not enough to conceded the penalty.
  • CHO regressed during the parts of the match I saw back to the Lampard era where he dummied as tohugh going to go past his man and deliver yet bizarrely pulled it back for a defensive pass.
  • Alonso looked decent.
  • Kovacic was immense in the forward pivot with Jorginho in keeping the ball alive and breaking the first defensive line to offload a forward pass. 
  • Jorginho played ok too.
  • Mount good crosses and movement to create chance yet shooting was wayward.
  • Christensen did well in bringing the ball forward and passing forward. Rudiger did well defensively.
  • Saw Azpi misplace a pass yet didn't see him on the ball enough.
  • Kante on the edge of the box late on.
  • Kepa looked much better as though his nerves have improved.
  • Newcastle could have made that difficult for us if one of their chances had gone in.

Tommy Two Shoes probably did well today by using a lot of the squad and giving them confidence as we move in to a busy period and back above WHU and into top 4.

Comfortable again. Good to see chelsea in the back 4 so quickly. Obviously benefitting from generous fixture list but the team are playing better. I really don’t think we’d have got 13/15 points from these five games had Lampard stayed. Rightly or wrongly players are visibly trying a lot harder than they were before.

Very pleasing performance, and great to be back in the top 4. Didn't expect to be in the top 4 this soon, largely due to Liverpool's recent capitulation.

Great to see Werner break his long-awaited PL goal drought. Hopefully that does his confidence a world of good.

Kepa kept a clean sheet. It's a miracle!

Good win.  Would like to see improved performance, and a much better cutting edge.  But we've played ourselves right back into the mix and there is a belief in the team.  Job well done - bigger tests ahead.

- Credit to Werner also.  His movement and runs continues to lead to goals, be it assists, parries to assist, or even a goal today! 
- Didn't think we'd be 24 games in with only one summer signing playing, albeit two are injured.  With that, Pulisic on the bench also.  
- Odoi has a spring back in his step - really enjoy watching him as he is more direct.  If we could just get Pulisic going also on the other side.  Would still like to see Odoi shoot more, but credit where it is due, he is playing very well

4 hours ago, just said:

Have to agree forbzy. Tuchel has been fortunate with the run of games he's faced since he arrived. The only tough game on paper was Tottenham and that coincided with them hitting a steep drop in form and minus two of their best players on the day.

You can only beat what's in front you but we haven't been tested yet under Tuchel's charge. It's coming next week. We need to hold judgement till then.

We are lucky with the fixtures. Time to bed the system down and get ready for the tougher games. We will probably get found out by a team that presses well and can finish. And yet we have put the points in the bank from these easier fixtures, and it’s been done with out of form or injured forwards. 

Given Kepa was causing a lot of us worries before the game credit where credit is due, he made a couple of very good saves and his passing was mostly spot on. He performed well.

Unlike the ref. That tackle on Tammy anywhere else on the pitch is a foul and minimum yellow card boarding on red. It does not matter he got the ball first he scissor tackles Tammy's leg. That is dangerous play and appalling neither the ref nor VAR saw it that way.

Then there was the blatant shoved on Timo from the same defender. Again nothing given.

First half we were very good, second we went through the motions, job done. Nobody stood out for me, whole team performing at a solid 7 out of 10.

Another controlled performance and 3 crucial points. We could have thrashed them, but never in danger of dropping points, so apart from the 1% expecting 3:0 every game, it's more than a satisfactory performance. Werner finally got that goal, should have scored another at least, but that's monkey off his back and he could just play without that burden. He's been the best player in the last couple of games, getting better although he could have done more. Kovacic has been great for us going forward, if we could ignore his shooting. The wing backs are doing a great job, and by form I don't think Chilwell and James deserve to start on the weekend. Back 3 is solid, even Christensen looked a decent defender. Kepa was a huge gamble, but he did well and nullified whatever little been thrown at him. I reckon 3 months ago he would have let that Shelvey free kick in. Yes we have played some weak teams lately, but we all know nothing could be taken for granted in this league. The team has done well under new management, it should build on and better things to come

13 hours ago, dkw said:

Good tackle that, Tammy took far too long to shoot. Looks like he's of injured now too.

Not just with you dicky, but I disagree.

A couple of matches ago some agricultural thug went through Kova in exactly the same way and we all knew that was definitely a foul these days, lots of joshing about how Chopper would have fared, but the only dispute was why that thug didn't even get booked when it could well have been a straight red.

Clear penalty last night for me, as was the same arse pushing Werner over later on.

No VAR on that one, but no agenda, mind.

Edited by yorkleyblue

1 minute ago, yorkleyblue said:

A couple of matches ago some agricultural thug went through Kova in exactly the same way and we all knew that was definitely a foul these days, lots of joshing about how Chopper would have fared, but the only dispute was why that thug didn't even get booked when it could well have been a straight red.

Clear penalty last night for me, as was the same arse pushing Werner over later on.

Probably, it's a tricky one because on one hand it looks like a good tackle, then on the other you can see that he gets Abraham before the ball. The other one with Werner for me was a definite penalty, soft, but it's a penalty. You're not supposed to puts your hands on other players like that, especially push them, a shoulder barge is allowed, but to physically push them like Jamal did. Especially when you see the size difference between them, Werner is a dot compared to him. 

Poor call from the referee that one. 

14 hours ago, bluehaze said:

One goal in ten before his injury is not exactly prolific he was Mark Hughes replacement and I thought Hughesy was a far better player.

Like I said, very harsh. He only got 10 games, new league, new team, new tactics, Malouda wouldn't pass to him, all the other excuses dragged out by google geniuses and others.

I was excited when he joined, turned out not great for us, but even worse for his career.  And yes, prime Hughesy was a better player, but we no longer had prime Hughesy, so, again, a harsh comparison.

Still very early days for TT i appreciate that, but another very mediocre performance against a side that offered absolutely nothing.

First half was ok, good tempo to the passing, still not taking enough shots on goal for my liking, and our delivery from wide areas in and around the box is still very poor.

Second half was just a mess. Highlighted by consolidating substitutions, James for CHO and Kante for Mount. Newcastle were so poor but we just seemed happy to go through the motions second half rather than put them to the sword.

Good performances from Kovacic and Werner, thought Callum was lively first half, defensively we did'nt do much wrong against very little threat, the rest were average at best.

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

The push was definitely a penalty. But the one on Tammy for me isn't because he's the one that instigated the contact on a defender that was going for the ball. Tammy planted his foot way of the line he was running, he actually went out of his way to create the foul. If he hadnt stuck his leg there then the defender is more than likely getting the ball cleanly.

The Kova one was different because that player went to do him as well as tackle him, it was pre-meditated.

Tuchel.ball is not enjoyable to watch. Sure, Chelsea is undefeated since he was brought in, however they haven't played a decent team during this run. The team seems to play just well enough to win. 

I don't understand why Alonso continues to get playing time. He is not doing much on offense and he is very weak defensively. There is no speed, ability to beat a player off the dribble or make a decent pass. Many times he was playing deeper than Werner in the opponents end. 

Chelsea's offense is disorganized at best. They haven't been able to create solid scoring chances against the likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Barnsley, Spurs, etc. 

I guess we will see how good Tuchel and Chelsea is after the Southhampton game. The three games after that are Athletico Madrid, VarUnited and Everton. 

• coco locked this topic
  • coco unlocked this topic