Most Underrated Player

9 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I never once heard Cahill be compared to Terry (favourably or otherwise). 

It would of been interesting if Cahill had the longevity of Terry at Chelsea, because make no mistakes Cahill was top quality, i don't think he ever let us down, and became the backbone of our Defence, and his CL Heroics won't ever be forgotten...

32 minutes ago, charierre said:

Peter Houseman.  70s

Joey Jones.            80s

Dan Petrescu          90s

Geremi                      00s

Cahill                         10s

and criminally (by some online) Mount

One of the (many) reasons I hate football Twitter. I genuinely have no idea how any Chelsea fan could hate Mount. He’s an incredible player and a shining example of everything great about Chelsea.

6 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Carlo Cudicini, mostly a sub keeper yet did well when asked to step up.

I think he was rated enough by @Valerie to cover every fan. He wasn’t underrated anyway, he was first choice and much loved until Cech (who was just a class above) came in.

We probably had the best first, second and third keepers in history with Cech, Cudicini and Hilario. 

I’d go for Paulo Ferreira myself. He was the Dave of his day!

6 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Carlo Cudicini, mostly a sub keeper yet did well when asked to step up.

Anelka signed in the January window as a back up striker yet contributed for 5 seasons in a number of forward roles was always in the shadow of Drogba.

Dan Petrescu a great wing back for us scoring some wonderful goals too.

I'm deeply hurt here, Strider! Carlo was mostly first choice between 2000 and 2004, bar injuries. He was POTY for the 2001-02 season. Not what I would qualify as a sub keeper.

It's between Cahill and Kalou for me, and of course a special mention to the legend that is Robert Green. I was there when he stopped an Olympique Lyonnais penalty!

20 hours ago, Slojo said:

Hmm, tricky. 

I thought at one point Alex was a very underrated defender for us., very underappreciated, and I loved his freekicks.

Ivanovic I think was underrated, some might disagree. I personally thought Ivanovic at one point around 2009-2012 was the best RB in the world defensively, absolutely solid as a rock. I still remember his performance against Luis Nani at the Bridge in 2010, Nani wasn't the same again, he completely broke him. Then Mourinho turned him into a great offensive right back, and he stopped his defensive duties because he kept getting forward, he was so underrated going forward. On top of that the guy won us so many important games, big games also, like his winner against City in the title race.

Demba Ba was also a great backup striker, his goals to minutes ratio is actaully very good, Mourinho just kept putting him on with 1 minute left in the game. Ba scored some important goals while here and was always reliable. His goals against United, PSG and Liverpool were very memorable goals, which is amazing for a striker with such a short spell here. It's funny because backup strikers usually do a better job than our main strikers here. 

Loic Remy another one, I thought Remy was very reliable when Costa wasn't firing for that season, usually always came up with a goal when we needed him, scored a very important one against Hull away that pretty much tipped us for the title. 

Florent Malouda I loved Flo Mo during 08-10, absolutely excellent winger, one of our best at that stage, could do just about everything. It's a shame he didn't give us more seasons while he was here but still a great player in his prime. 

Good list this, not to dissimilar from what i would off have apart from maybe no Dema Ba. Personally i would rather we had kept an injury prone Sturridge than bought Demba Ba.

On Ivanovic, when ever a fan or a pundit does a team of the decade they always put Zabaleta at right back. Ivanovic doesn't even get a mention which kinda annoys me, personally thought Ivanovic was a better player than Zabaleta.

17 hours ago, charierre said:

Peter Houseman.  70s

Joey Jones.            80s

Dan Petrescu          90s

Geremi                      00s

Cahill                         10s

and criminally (by some online) Mount

Supet Dan Petrescu 😎 , absolutely loved guy.

How about Raul Meireles?  For the short time he was here, he scored some big goals, none bigger than in the SF on our way to the CL trophy in 2012.  Too bad he got a yellow card in that match and had to sit out the final.

And Yes, Pedro is a very unsung hero for Chelsea.

Edited by Phillip
1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Just thought of another, Dave Beasant, we signed him in our promotion season of 88/89 and he  made a huge difference, it went pair shaped in early 90’s but for 2 or 3 years was very good. 

That's not true at all Chi he wasn't great even in the second division. I remember him getting chipped by a Swindon player who was standing about two feet from the East lower. He was a dreadful keeper Kevin Hitchcock was far better but he just wasn't tall enough Beasant would make mistakes all the time I remember he made one at Anfield I thought Townsend was going to chin him cause he was sick of it happening all the time half the ground wanted to hit him after this game.

Edited by bluehaze
13 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

That's not true at all Chi he wasn't great even in the second division. I remember him getting chipped by a Swindon player who was standing about two feet from the East lower. He was a dreadful keeper Kevin Hitchcock was far better but he just wasn't tall enough Beasant would make mistakes all the time I remember he made one at Anfield I thought Townsend was going to chin him cause he was sick of it happening all the time half the ground wanted to hit him after this game.

As I said it went pear shaped early 90’s, but still think he had a couple of good seasons with us, he was England no 2 at Italia 90, so not sure he was a  ‘dreadful keeper’