Jump to content

Most Underrated Player


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, chi blue said:

As I said it went pear shaped early 90’s, but still think he had a couple of good seasons with us, he was England no 2 at Italia 90, so not sure he was a  ‘dreadful keeper’

Number 3 he was behind Chris Woods .  He was a dreadful keeper and you have to be the only bloke I've ever known to rate him.

Edited by bluehaze
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Number 3 he was behind Chris Woods .  He was a dreadful keeper and you have to be the only bloke I've ever known to rate him.

I actually got that wrong he was number 4 Seaman got injured.

Robson chose Woods and Seaman as Shilton's understudies in the initial squad, but days before a hand injury to David Seaman forced Bobby Robson to drop Seaman and replace him with Beasant. England went to the semi-finals, where they lost on penalties to West Germany.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

That's not true at all Chi he wasn't great even in the second division. I remember him getting chipped by a Swindon player who was standing about two feet from the East lower. He was a dreadful keeper Kevin Hitchcock was far better but he just wasn't tall enough Beasant would make mistakes all the time I remember he made one at Anfield I thought Townsend was going to chin him cause he was sick of it happening all the time half the ground wanted to hit him after this game.

 

I find your comment about Townsend interesting, one afternoon early 90s in the Shed and I thought it was going to kick-off between a group from the Whitewall side jeering Beasant's every touch and the Middle. It didn't yet it was an uncomfortable match even the normal embullient older chap that started most of the singing kept his head down.

I think for getting us out of the Second Division Beasant was decent yet was found out at the top level and we left it a little late to change keeper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phillip said:

How about Raul Meireles?  For the short time he was here, he scored some big goals, none bigger than in the SF on our way to the CL trophy in 2012.  Too bad he got a yellow card in that match and had to sit out the final.

 

And Yes, Pedro is a very unsung hero for Chelsea.

Meireles is a good shout, have almost forgotten who he was yet scored some occasionally and with some cracking goals.

Pedro is so recent not sure it is right to include, though of course he was in the shadow of Hazard, Costa and Willian was normally preferred. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Phillip said:

How about Raul Meireles?  For the short time he was here, he scored some big goals, none bigger than in the SF on our way to the CL trophy in 2012.  Too bad he got a yellow card in that match and had to sit out the final.

 

The great thing about Meireles, is how much he did in that 2nd leg against Barcelona. In the 90th minute, he saw Xavi pressing on with the ball, he knew he couldn't tackle him before he released the ball, instead he took one of the team and got a yellow card. Meaning he couldn't play in the final. That would've been his first and only CL final, and he decided to do that for the team who you would presume had little loyalty towards before coming here, what a guy he was... 

I'll honestly never forget that, even though Barcelona might not have scored, that's not the point. The undying commitment to do that and missing your chance to play in the Champions League final at the time is massive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Erland Johnsen for me.  Did win player of the year in the early 90s but felt sorry for him that he was not included in the FA Cup final in 1997 particularly after his performances against Leicester, ha ha, and Wimbledon in semi.  Some of you may recall that Wimbledon battered us around that time so Johnsen was brought in to make sure that didn't happen in the semi..... He did as much as anyone to ensure we won the cup without having a medal to show for it....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2021 at 00:01, coco said:

Salomon Kalou is often overshadowed by Drogba, but he had a remarkable career at Chelsea and deserves the odd mention.

Yep, he'd be mine. Not sure about MOST underrated but I felt he was overlooked a lot. Came up with some key goals for us and was always a threat. Fantastic player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slojo said:

The great thing about Meireles, is how much he did in that 2nd leg against Barcelona. In the 90th minute, he saw Xavi pressing on with the ball, he knew he couldn't tackle him before he released the ball, instead he took one of the team and got a yellow card. Meaning he couldn't play in the final. That would've been his first and only CL final, and he decided to do that for the team who you would presume had little loyalty towards before coming here, what a guy he was... 

I'll honestly never forget that, even though Barcelona might not have scored, that's not the point. The undying commitment to do that and missing your chance to play in the Champions League final at the time is massive. 

So gutting that we had so many key players (JT, Ivan, Ramires, plus Meireles) who had to miss the final due to suspension. How we managed to compete and prevail against both Barca and Bayern is truly miraculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Jezz said:

Hasselbaink.

Chelsea supporters rate him highly, but outsiders rarely talk about him these days.

 

As a footballer I didn't rate him at all. Technically very poor, lazy, not good in the air and didn't mind a good old whinge at his team mates. But he certainly knew where the goal was. 

So many other EPL strikers at that time were ahead of him. Shearer, Van Nistlerooy, Owen, Henry. All could score goals like Hasslebaink, but all had much more to their all round skill sets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!