Next new Striker

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, FRANKIE66 said:

ANDRE SILVA - 

The 25-year-old Eintracht Frankfurt forward has already hit a career-best tally of 27 league goals so far this season, which has been crucial in firing the club to fifth place in the Bundesliga.

Silva has been in particularly phenomenal form of late, with 18 goals in 19 Bundesliga appearances in 2021. He is the star at the top of Adi Hutter’s Christmas tree formation and has broken Eintracht’s single-season scoring record.

The prospect of him looks good but then if he flops then all the fans will go "Bundesliga is easier than the Prem!!" 

3 hours ago, FRANKIE66 said:

ANDRE SILVA - 

The 25-year-old Eintracht Frankfurt forward has already hit a career-best tally of 27 league goals so far this season, which has been crucial in firing the club to fifth place in the Bundesliga.

Silva has been in particularly phenomenal form of late, with 18 goals in 19 Bundesliga appearances in 2021. He is the star at the top of Adi Hutter’s Christmas tree formation and has broken Eintracht’s single-season scoring record.

Not sure about Andre Silva, seems to have been underwhelming at Milan, and on loan in spain, at sevilla i think. Jovic and Haller both did well at Frankfurt but then struggled. I wouldnt be keen personally. 

I think it will depend on who is available, and what system Tuchel wants to use next season.

Seems to be more links to Sancho again, so maybe that indicates we wont spend on a big name number 9. 

Also seen a few links with Weghorst. Who i think would be a decent replacement for Giroud, and Tammy if he was to leave aswell. 

Maybe something like this for attacking options next season:

St Havertz/Weghorst

Lw Werner/Pulisic 

rw Sancho/CHO

10 Mount/Ziyech

I think we would definitely have to change to 4231 though to accommodate more attackers

True but what wil they be saying if our 150m signing Kane is on the treatment table for most of the season? All signings are a risk so why buy 1 player for 150m against 4 or 5 signings with the possibility of unearthing a diamond. Whos saw how good Drogba was going to be when we first signed him. In fact he was like Bambi the first season then took off after that. 

9 minutes ago, big blue said:

Not sure about Andre Silva, seems to have been underwhelming at Milan, and on loan in spain, at sevilla i think. Jovic and Haller both did well at Frankfurt but then struggled. I wouldnt be keen personally. 

I think it will depend on who is available, and what system Tuchel wants to use next season.

Seems to be more links to Sancho again, so maybe that indicates we wont spend on a big name number 9. 

Also seen a few links with Weghorst. Who i think would be a decent replacement for Giroud, and Tammy if he was to leave aswell. 

St Havertz/Weghorst

Lw Werner/Pulisic 

rw Sancho/CHO

10 Mount/Ziyech

I think we would definitely have to change to 4231 though to accommodate more attackers

While that is one luxurious combo of players for the front 4 positions, you think we have the right personell for the back four (including backups)? Don't see that at all personally, definitely not for a primary system, which it must be because it'd be almost impossible to keep them all happy.

Not related to the striker discussion/topic but J.Boateng still hasn't got a new club, right? Not sure because he's not the youngest and in general had some injury problems in the last years but he is an amazing player still and Tuchel wanted him very much for PSG (as Rüdiger) and I believe that was "almost" a done deal two years ago - and funny enough Boateng is much better now (agina) than he was back then.

45 minutes ago, big blue said:

St Havertz/Weghorst

Lw Werner/Pulisic 

rw Sancho/CHO

10 Mount/Ziyech

Werner can't play lw. 

44 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Werner can't play lw. 

Plays left wing/left forward most games. At Leipzig he played off poulson mostly, so im suggesting he plays a similar role but off Havertz or Weghorst.  Not necessarily a winger, but inside forward.

1 hour ago, weetee said:

While that is one luxurious combo of players for the front 4 positions, you think we have the right personell for the back four (including backups)? Don't see that at all personally, definitely not for a primary system, which it must be because it'd be almost impossible to keep them all happy.

Not related to the striker discussion/topic but J.Boateng still hasn't got a new club, right? Not sure because he's not the youngest and in general had some injury problems in the last years but he is an amazing player still and Tuchel wanted him very much for PSG (as Rüdiger) and I believe that was "almost" a done deal two years ago - and funny enough Boateng is much better now (agina) than he was back then.

Not sure about centre backs, difficult to judge how much the change in system has improved the form of the players, and how much is down to Tuchels approach. 

I wouldnt be spending massive on defence though.  Possibly a backup left back if we switch to back 4. 

7 minutes ago, big blue said:

Not sure about centre backs, difficult to judge how much the change in system has improved the form of the players, and how much is down to Tuchels approach. 

I wouldnt be spending massive on defence though.  Possibly a backup left back if we switch to back 4. 

Our CBs are not capable of playing in a back 4 part from T.Silva and it's still not clear if he's going to stay or not. Rudiger and Christensen are much more unreliable in a back 4 formation and Zouma can be insecure with the ball. If you ask me a new CB is a must if we ever want to switch to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, Chilwell/Alonso and James/Azpi can do the role for 1 more season but if T.Silva leaves in the summer we won't be able to play those formations and get away with it.

10 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Our CBs are not capable of playing in a back 4 part from T.Silva and it's still not clear if he's going to stay or not. Rudiger and Christensen are much more unreliable in a back 4 formation and Zouma can be insecure with the ball. If you ask me a new CB is a must if we ever want to switch to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, Chilwell/Alonso and James/Azpi can do the role for 1 more season but if T.Silva leaves in the summer we won't be able to play those formations and get away with it.

That's something I totally agree with for once 😄

I'm not even sure about Thiago as I remember myself seeing him in the back four at PSG two years ago and thought he was rather "finished" for top level. At least to play that day in day out. Also agreed about Rüdiger and Christensen and Zouma. If Thiago isn't staying (probably would leave after a CL win, but no idea) I thought about Boateng who played with a back 4 at Bayern and was their supreme defender this season. Not sure, maybe he could work with Zouma or Rüdiger but that's quite a gamble.

Agreed about Chilwell and the rest as well - although I personally think that the back-ups wouldn't be half as good / usefull in those formations as those exact same players are in our current system. Especially since Chilwell really found his place (and I expect him to get even better there next season).

Edited by weetee

36 minutes ago, big blue said:

Plays left wing/left forward most games. At Leipzig he played off poulson mostly, so im suggesting he plays a similar role but off Havertz or Weghorst.  Not necessarily a winger, but inside forward.

Leipzig played 352/343 similar to how we play right now. 

We played Werner as  LF/LW in basic 4231 and 433 under lamp and it didn't work. You have to play something closer to 442 with werner. 

Edited by Bob stark

26 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

In back 4, CB will be a slight problem but under Lamp it was our attacker and midfielder that were more problematic defensively. 

I love the look of Adam Hložek at Sparta Prague, still very raw and only 18 but he looks fantastic at controlling the front line and does amazing work in bringing other attackers into play. Anyone who manages to pick him up will have an amazing talent on their hands. Decent numbers this season too albeit in the Czech league. 

Just now, Bob stark said:

In back 4, CB will be a slight problem but under Lamp it was our attacker and midfielder that were more problematic defensively. 

Our defense was beaten far too many times due to poor defending in the past season, even under Sarri we couldn't deal with simple crosses at times. That is all the fault of the defense, ours wasn't good enough.

An attacker can take a lot of attention and remove the pressure but you can't shield your defense for a full game. Take all big teams and it's basically us and Conte's team that plays with a back 3 on a regular basis, this is not a coincidence. We need better defenders in order to be able to change to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and get a good result from it, right now with the players we have it's just too risky. Conte was very defensive and allowed the opposition to have possession, Sarri was very possession based with no risk passes in order to minimize the threat of our defense getting exposed and Lampard tried to outscore the opponents. If we want to compete for titles we need to find at least one world class center back, without that you see that last year's champions Liverpool are fighting for the top 4 right now.

16 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

I think if you go to a back 4 you need two decent defensive midfielders we only had one.

Seems to be a problem as we have decent CBs in a three yet big questions for playing as a back 4.

Though on the plus side now having Chilwell and James means one less to replace if we decide to go as a back 4. Yet if we did revert to a back 4 surely you would keep Zouma................

As far as I am aware Silva has signed a one year deal for next season. Tomori back from Milan would be interesting and Marc Guehi back from loan at Swansea we would have the personel to change to back 4 if needed. Guechi has played 41 games for Swansea this season and has been consistent. Rudiger is solid , Silva protected in the back 3 but would struggle in back 4 I think.

6 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Our defense was beaten far too many times due to poor defending in the past season, even under Sarri we couldn't deal with simple crosses at times. That is all the fault of the defense, ours wasn't good enough.

An attacker can take a lot of attention and remove the pressure but you can't shield your defense for a full game. Take all big teams and it's basically us and Conte's team that plays with a back 3 on a regular basis, this is not a coincidence. We need better defenders in order to be able to change to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and get a good result from it, right now with the players we have it's just too risky. Conte was very defensive and allowed the opposition to have possession, Sarri was very possession based with no risk passes in order to minimize the threat of our defense getting exposed and Lampard tried to outscore the opponents. If we want to compete for titles we need to find at least one world class center back, without that you see that last year's champions Liverpool are fighting for the top 4 right now.

We had Kepa under Sarri. You can put VVD + Terry + Maldini + Nesta at the back if your gk is kepa, there is nothing that you can do. 

Contrary to popular believe defending is not all about cb. If you analyze our defending under Lamp this season with back 4 our cb were fine. Most of our problem occurred because we pushed too many man forward and our attacker didn't trackback. 

Pool didn't suddenly turn bad because they lose VVD. They losed AL their cb. 

1 minute ago, Bob stark said:

We had Kepa under Sarri. You can put VVD + Terry + Maldini + Nesta at the back if your gk is kepa, there is nothing that you can do. 

Contrary to popular believe defending is not all about cb. If you analyze our defending under Lamp this season with back 4 our cb were fine. Most of our problem occurred because we pushed too many man forward and our attacker didn't trackback. 

Pool didn't suddenly turn bad because they lose VVD. They losed AL their cb. 

Well I just don't see us challenging for any title with the current players in a back 4 formation. Feel free to disagree on that but for me part from T.Silva we don't have a world class CB and even T.Silva can't play a full PL season. 

24 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I think if you go to a back 4 you need two decent defensive midfielders we only had one.

Seems to be a problem as we have decent CBs in a three yet big questions for playing as a back 4.

Though on the plus side now having Chilwell and James means one less to replace if we decide to go as a back 4. Yet if we did revert to a back 4 surely you would keep Zouma................

Yes, not having another dm was one of the biggest problem. When Kante pushed up and started hunting, we were too exposed plus our attacker did not track back. If you remembered under lamp we usually played 3 even 4 out of puli, Havertz, Ziyech, Werner. Tuchel fix this problem in very simple way he played only two out of of those 4.

1 hour ago, charierre said:

Depending on how much we have to spend. Iheanacho could work well alongside Werner. Add Sancho to the mix and we could have some fluid actions across the squad.

Sancho is more of the same for me, his best position is AMR. Would he fit in to TT system and if so if we bought him who would we be offload. For me Gnabry is a better and has played only 19 games due to a muscle injury in February but still managed a goal more than Sancho recording the same ammount of assists in half the games. He is 25 years old and has more experienced playing for Bayern in CL and for Germany. Sancho hasn't exactly nailed down an England spot despite the hype. 

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Well I just don't see us challenging for any title with the current players in a back 4 formation. Feel free to disagree on that but for me part from T.Silva we don't have a world class CB and even T.Silva can't play a full PL season. 

It really depend imo. But if by title you mean competing with city and pool, we need to improve in lots of area not just cb. 

With city and pool, you need to finish in high 90 to be even in contention. 

40 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Even one wc CB - albeit it'd help tremendously - has always the risk of an injury or else. Now Silva got injuried and Chrisensen stepped in - so good that one could almost forgot that Thiago wasn't playing. Zouma was probably the weakest of our CB but also he contributed when he had to play. Same with the signing of one worldclass striker IMO: if that'd mean we are forced to play a different formation I'd be very afraid of doing that since that's just too much dependend on one single player. I'd love one CB/DM hybrid player that could offer us a good deal of flexibility on the fly. Especially since I'm pretty convinced by now by James who I believe can play anything at the right side. Maybe, but that's a capital one, maybe Odoi can step up next saison and offer sth. as an alternative RWB - like he did at the start of Tuchel. That with Chilwell being comfortable within the formation could really help us playing against defensive lines as well as pushing forward on the counter.

There was a time I thought that Tuchel would most likely try to implement another system to let us create more threatening situations (around that Southampton game I think) but since then we've come a long way and although it always is a possibility with him I don't think he's doubting his system at all right now. It can get refined further and we already look very threatening. When Havertz finally finds some consistent form and Pulisic stays healthy we already look competitive without additional transfers - those could just be the icing on the cake and make us (finally) deadly.

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Leipzig played 352/343 similar to how we play right now. 

We played Werner as  LF/LW in basic 4231 and 433 under lamp and it didn't work. You have to play something closer to 442 with werner. 

exactly and poulson and schtick played through the middle. Not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh, Its pretty obvious Werner has played from the left off a target man a lot of times, with success in his career. The main struggles for him as been as a lone front man or as an out and out winger, which I explained previous was not what was suggesting. 

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Bit of a sweeping statement. 

Lampard had a decent record at the start of the season barring 1 or 2 games with a back 4, sarri used some these centre backs in a back 4 and also had a decent record. 

When you look how we play now, we switch to a 4 at the back in game frequently. Now we are seeing James at right centre back, that is even more of an option. 

Thiago silva is staying for another season according to the media, I havent seen any reports to the contrary. 

The defence has been brilliant under Tuchel, but I wouldnt be suprised if we look to get an extra attacker in the team by switching to a 4 against the bottom half teams, where we have struggled to score goals. 

I think the aporoach to how we defend, the way we counter press, and the way we cover spaces to safe guard counter attacks,has had more of an effect on the improved defence, than simply changing formation. 

A back 4 would work alot better with a proper DM infront of them, instead of a slow deep laying playmaker. 4-1-2-3 formation, with a DM (Franck Kessie), CM/box to box midfielder (Kante, Kovacic) and CM/AM (Havertz,Mount).