I put in the other thread that I'm quite keen to give Kai a run in the Firminho role, see if he and the others playing off him can deliver.

to be honest, aside from Haaland and Lewa, how many pure number 9's are around at a world class level? even Mbappe is more of a Werner type (just a lot better).

People talk about False 9's as if it's a bit wild, but to be honest, the two best teams in this league over recent years have done it very well. Looking at the 'stars' of the future, very few classic #9 going around.

we just need to find out Salah and Mane if the Kai experiment looks good!!!  

I think our scouts should seriously consider looking into Andre Silva, he was underwhelming in AC Milan but now in Germany he has 20 goals in 24 games, decent height and 25 years old. Though I might be wrong cause I said the same thing about Jovic that was later bought by Real Madrid and couldn't really do much there, but Silva is older.

2 hours ago, Simplymo said:

Tottenham and Chelsea are both potential contenders to sign Argentina striker Paulo Dybala, 27, from Juventus.

If he was playing as a striker my only worry is he may struggle with the physicality in the prem. With that being said players like Torres, Aguero and Suarez have coped so who knows.

Dybala is definitely a great player and being from Serie A may not be such a bad thing since Salah came from Italy and look how he turned out.

If we can't sign Haaland, Dybala could be a decent shout if the rumoured fee is correct €50m. It just seems he's always linked with a move but ends up staying so I wouldn't bet on it until they actually 'officially' put him up for sale.

21 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

If he was playing as a striker my only worry is he may struggle with the physicality in the prem. With that being said players like Torres, Aguero and Suarez have coped so who knows.

Dybala is definitely a great player and being from Serie A may not be such a bad thing since Salah came from Italy and look how he turned out.

If we can't sign Haaland, Dybala could be a decent shout if the rumoured fee is correct €50m. It just seems he's always linked with a move but ends up staying so I wouldn't bet on it until they actually 'officially' put him up for sale.

I don't know much about him but I always worry about players that lack experience of the prem coming in. It's always a 50/50 gamble added on to the new club/new team/etc...but I also know Chelsea are one of the best clubs in making a player welcome though.

Salah knew what the prem was all about and only spent a short time there after leaving us. How long has Dybala played in Italy?

So far from what I keep seeing its him and haaland.

Another on the beeb (source:star):

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is making the signing of Norway forward Erling Braut Haaland, 20, from Borussia Dortmund his personal mission this summer. (Star)

personal mission...lol

Edited by Simplymo
Fat fingers
4 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I think bringing back Lukaku could be immense, at 27 his best years are still to come

You know what you're getting with him always, which at least removes some of the risk.

First touch and play outside the box remains the challenge. 

I do wonder though what might have happened if we had signed him for Conte instead of that sook Morata.

Edited by Spiller86

2 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Dybala is a no for me, we need players with more physical presence and mobility. Haaland is the first choice for me, but I'd gladly take Lukaku to bully defences and the guy is proven in the Premier League.

I think this is right. Dybala would be another player who is a bit more cultured for want of a better term that might struggled with the lack of space, more lenient refereeing and more robust approach.

It's tough to adapt I think particularly given teams sit in against us now. In Zola's day (another very cultured player) it was a bit easier because teams felt they could beat us so were a bit more open. Plus Dybala is no Zola.

No doubt most of us would all like Haaland - but honestly, I just cant see it happening So, we are back into the world of compromises. Personally, I dont think there are any properly exciting choices, but I would be ok with any of these 5, in no particular order.

1) Ciro Immobile - Experienced, strong, fast, can finish - downside is age at 31.

2) Gerard Moreno - solid all around, downside being that he has never played outside of Spain.

3) Raul Jimenez - Incredibly hard working, and prem league proven - downside is the head injury, and how that will impact him.

4) Lautaro Martinez  - quick, great finishers and young. Would probably be my top choice.

5) Benzema - Bit of a wild card, who could become available if Haaland goes to Real.

On 14/03/2021 at 16:52, Gol15 said:

I think our scouts should seriously consider looking into Andre Silva, he was underwhelming in AC Milan but now in Germany he has 20 goals in 24 games, decent height and 25 years old. Though I might be wrong cause I said the same thing about Jovic that was later bought by Real Madrid and couldn't really do much there, but Silva is older.

24 games 21 goals + 5 assists

Lukaku turns 28 in 6 weeks. While not old, the price for him would not fit our business model. I’m sure he could do fine here and would score goals, but I don’t see us paying what it would cost for a player who is already 2-3 years into his prime.

It’s certainly going to be a Vibtant topic before the next season starts, all the Top names are on the Table, except maybe Mbappe, if we are really serious about Haaland, we should be about Kane etc, it all depends on how TT sees his teams style evolve, at the moment we need the best Box striker, we create loads.

The Euros will throw up a new name to get excited about anyway.

Id take Lukaku back. If we can continue with our solid defence again next season his goals could win us the league. I mean we are currently 4th, and our highest league scorer has 6 goals. Add Lukaku goals and we would be alot closer to City. Lukaku is a proven scorer in this league too, makes sense.

On 24/03/2021 at 18:02, Spiller86 said:

You know what you're getting with him always, which at least removes some of the risk.

First touch and play outside the box remains the challenge. 

I do wonder though what might have happened if we had signed him for Conte instead of that sook Morata.

In the space of a few months Conte has completely transformed this aspect of his game. He is fitter, faster and more mobile than ever. His ball control and general technique has improved out of sight and tactically he would fit like a glove in our current system, being a perfect player to get the best out of Mount or Havertz. To give credit to Lukaku, he is a changed man and his mentality has shifted.

But in saying that, Chelsea would be the ultimate test of that mentality. There is no doubt that Lukaku can come to Chelsea and score 20 goals a season in the league, but neither he nor Chelsea want just that. We need him, or whoever we sign, to come in and instantly be a game-changer in the league and in Europe. We don't need another Havertz or Pulisic signed on "potential".

There are still decent question marks over whether he can be a big-game player and the added difficulty at Chelsea is that he would come with expectations beftting one of the more senior players in the squad and in the shadow of his mentor/idol, Drogba. I'd take a punt on him because I think he's a great player, but not at the expense of signing an actual generational talent who is already at the peak of their powers.