Next new Striker

Ballack & Blu

2 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I would be happy with a front 3 of

........Timo...............Ings

...........Havertz

God No! Hope we don’t get that desperate, £50m on an injury prone 29yr old forward is asking for trouble.

9 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Insane is a bit of an overreaction. Let's not forget that this strike force and team is what took us to a UCL win.... Add in a promising youngster alongside a player who may feel hard done and want to prove himself I wouldn't say its as disastrous as you and some may see it. 

We signed over £200m worth of talent last season, Timo and Kai may just need some time to find their feet but, as a duo represent a very good option up top if we cannot sign an out and out striker.

I would rather stick with those 4 then sign a Bakayoko/Drinkwater/Emerson tier striker. We only want elite players now to compliment what we already have. Why waste £30-50m on mid tier striker? 

If Haaland, Lewandowski, Lukaku or Kane want to come and we can afford them then fair enough. As things stand none of those deals seem likely. So maybe you could support the players we have as well as the coach and have some faith in our team.

I don't think it sends the right message to the manager that got us a CL trophy in his first season that we don't back him in the transfer market and just go with what we've got. Personally, I wouldn't include Lukaku in that group, I don't rate him at all and spending serious money on him would be a big mistake, imho. Kane would be a great coup but we don't do business with Levi, so that's not going to happen. Lewandowski is a top striker but even if he's available, and Bayern insist he isn't, I'm not sure spending a fortune on someone turning 33 in August is smart investment in this financial climate.

Which brings us to Haaland. All the noise coming out of Dortmund comes down to 'he's happy here, we don't want to sell him, but...' .and then they keep mentioning about how if 'crazy offer' arrives, of course they'll have to consider it. Now, their idea of 'crazy' may differ from Roman's version, but the truth is, whatever we pay for Haaland, it's a great investment. He's a generational talent and is only 21 so the upside is tremendous. He may use us as a stepping stone on the way to Madrid or Barca a few years down the road, but so what? We need him here and now and unlike other strikers mentioned earlier he has a resale value. We simply have to get him, if there's any chance.

Edited by abramovich

We have walked the route of buying fringe players. Not saying Danny Ings is that but he has a history of failing in a big club. He had zero chance in Liverpool although he was at a perfect age. Look at Lingaard. No show in ManU and ripping it at WHU. These are all separate cases but if you look at buying a sort of has been striker Anelka was one but he had a history of being absolute elite. Then again Sheva failed. Eto'o was very good. Torres was painful. Falcao, Pato and Huguain all failed to show up. 

Why not put eggs in that Haaland basket, if it fails trust Tammy or even Broja to lead the line and suffer the consequences. We could even just play Timo up front. We haven't really tried that either. 

Put everything in on Haaland, and make that "crazy" bid.  If we still can't get him I would go for Vlahovic!  Pure finisher born 2000 also.   1,90cm, decent technique, athletic, fast and is a work horse up front(win back possession).

17 minutes ago, Pulisic22 said:

Put everything in on Haaland, and make that "crazy" bid.  If we still can't get him I would go for Vlahovic!  Pure finisher born 2000 also.   1,90cm, decent technique, athletic, fast and is a work horse up front(win back possession).

Don’t think Dortmund are going to entertain selling him now so close to the beginning of the bundesliga. If we were serious a bid should have gone in early July. Big fan of both Vlahovic & Kalajdzic, both on low wages and at the right age that if it goes wrong you can sell down the line.

3 hours ago, evissy said:

We have walked the route of buying fringe players. Not saying Danny Ings is that but he has a history of failing in a big club. He had zero chance in Liverpool although he was at a perfect age. Look at Lingaard. No show in ManU and ripping it at WHU. These are all separate cases but if you look at buying a sort of has been striker Anelka was one but he had a history of being absolute elite. Then again Sheva failed. Eto'o was very good. Torres was painful. Falcao, Pato and Huguain all failed to show up. 

Why not put eggs in that Haaland basket, if it fails trust Tammy or even Broja to lead the line and suffer the consequences. We could even just play Timo up front. We haven't really tried that either. 

Tammy belongs in the midtable team. Let's be honest here, he's not good enough to lead the attacking line for a top club. He may improve in time and reach that top level, but for that to have any chance of happening he needs to play regularly and CFC isn't the right place for that, we need someone who can deliver now.

Broja is too young and raw, he needs to get experience, he's even further away from the first team than Tammy is. People get too carried away watching preseason games, I remember Bertrand Traore scoring a worldie in a preseason back in 2014 and everyone was raving about him. 

8 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Tammy belongs in the midtable team. Let's be honest here, he's not good enough to lead the attacking line for a top club. He may improve in time and reach that top level, but for that to have any chance of happening he needs to play regularly and CFC isn't the right place for that, we need someone who can deliver now.

Broja is too young and raw, he needs to get experience, he's even further away from the first team than Tammy is. People get too carried away watching preseason games, I remember Bertrand Traore scoring a worldie in a preseason back in 2014 and everyone was raving about him. 

To be fair to Bertrand Traore, he is only 25 now and just entering his peak. 7 goals & 5 assists in his debut PL season with Villa is a decent return.

9 minutes ago, ducavis said:

To be fair to Bertrand Traore, he is only 25 now and just entering his peak. 7 goals & 5 assists in his debut PL season with Villa is a decent return.

That only backs my point though. Between that preseason goal and his last season at Villa Traore played plenty and improved. That wouldn't have happened had he stayed at Chelsea. Tammy needs to do the same.

22 hours ago, ducavis said:

God No! Hope we don’t get that desperate, £50m on an injury prone 29yr old forward is asking for trouble.

No way he’d be 50m. He’s in the last year of his contract 

4 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I think we should go for Kane if we can't get Haaland. With City going after grealish for 100mil there is no way they will go after Kane as well in the same window. 

There will and they are, zero chance Levy sells us a player.

Why aren't we liknked with Maritnez from Inter? If he's even considering Arsenal, surely we we a much better fit.  Only couple of pre-season games in, lack of finishing still looks the major issue. I trust the likes of Havetz and Werner will be better this season, but still lacks that finisher upfront to turn 50-50 game into comfortable win

22 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Why aren't we liknked with Maritnez from Inter? If he's even considering Arsenal, surely we we a much better fit.  Only couple of pre-season games in, lack of finishing still looks the major issue. I trust the likes of Havetz and Werner will be better this season, but still lacks that finisher upfront to turn 50-50 game into comfortable win

I am not sure if we have any concrete links with anyone tbh. I think most of it is the bollox dreamed up by media people with nothing to do

22 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Most likely because Martinez isn't a deadly finisher as well, even though I like him and would consider signing him if Haaland or Lewa aren't really available. 

He's just a different kind of striker than what we're supposedly going after. A bit more similar to Leipzig's Werner, which is why he had a great season alongside the "true 9" Lukaku for Inter.  

I think we should lob a 130 mill bid at Levy, and let the media do their washing for us, some rags saying if City go for Grealish, they’ll end interest in Kane.

Or is there a Gentleman’s agreement we won’t go after our main  Competitors PL targets???

Can we land this top striker? 

Haaland: yes with money 

Lukaku: not so sure 

Kane: absolutely not

Lewandowski: according to latest reports, no. 

Who would fit us best?

1. Haaland (monster, young, proven) 

2. Kane (best striker in the Prem) 

3. Lewandowski (best out and out striker in the world) 

4. Lukaku (years of evidence he is not a leading striker in a top Premier league side) 

For me this is pretty simple. Haaland or nothing. If we could get Lewa for 40-50m I would go for him probably if Haaland is not available but otherwise lets make do what we have then and push Werner, Havertz and even Tammy to improve in scoring. Lower the expectations for the season a bit. 

Perhaps it's far fetched but I assume we will contact Tottenham about Kane in light of the recent news. If he's on strike and we are prepared to pay more then City I would not be terribly surprised if we could have a bid accepted.

City get Kane (and Grealish) and we can kiss the league goodbye for the forseeeable future.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Perhaps it's far fetched but I assume we will contact Tottenham about Kane in light of the recent news. If he's on strike and we are prepared to pay more then City I would not be terribly surprised if we could have a bid accepted.

City get Kane (and Grealish) and we can kiss the league goodbye for the forseeeable future.

Tottenham would never in a million years sell Harry Kane to us. This is basic English club football 101 stuff. They don't need that money that much.