If we’re going to sign a striker and it’s not Haaland, I would go for a decent striker to be back up to Havertz / Werner.

Basically a replacement for Abraham who looks like he’s on his way out. I’m convinced Havertz and Werner will get a lot of goals next season.

God Lukaku please absolutely not. If we want a 'flawed but scores' type striker we've got one of our books already.

Infact unless a bonafide WC forward becomes available I actually want to see where Kai as false 9 will take us, I've liked watching him in that role ever since Levekusen started doing it.

7 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

In the space of a few months Conte has completely transformed this aspect of his game. He is fitter, faster and more mobile than ever. His ball control and general technique has improved out of sight and tactically he would fit like a glove in our current system, being a perfect player to get the best out of Mount or Havertz. To give credit to Lukaku, he is a changed man and his mentality has shifted.

But in saying that, Chelsea would be the ultimate test of that mentality. There is no doubt that Lukaku can come to Chelsea and score 20 goals a season in the league, but neither he nor Chelsea want just that. We need him, or whoever we sign, to come in and instantly be a game-changer in the league and in Europe. We don't need another Havertz or Pulisic signed on "potential".

There are still decent question marks over whether he can be a big-game player and the added difficulty at Chelsea is that he would come with expectations beftting one of the more senior players in the squad and in the shadow of his mentor/idol, Drogba. I'd take a punt on him because I think he's a great player, but not at the expense of signing an actual generational talent who is already at the peak of their powers.

All fair points. I'm not sure whether he has improved or whether the game is just that bit slower in Italy allowing him more time. I couldn't say either way tbh.

As you say, there would be a huge weight on his shoulders if he were to come back here. He has unfinished business in the sense that he has never truly been the Drogba successor that everyone assumed. He scores yes, but has never won a major trophy in his career and continues to carry that tag of going missing in the big moments. I actually think the closest he has come thus far to winning a trophy was when he missed his penalty against Bayern in the Super Cup 8 years ago.

In my view we're not getting Haaland. He could name his price and his club and when you can do that, you're probably not going to choose us, particularly when we are known as a #9 graveyard. If you take him off the table, Lukaku looks as good an option as any. But he isn't a silver bullet by any means.

Thinking about this Topic, have we got enough firepower (Potentially), or do we need a super creative midfielder to open then lock, somehow Gundogan has reinvented himself as a real Goalscoring talent, not advocating him, but Mount, nova, Jorginho, Kante, hardly rip up roots in the scoring department, i have high hopes,  mount will become more prolific....

4 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m completely against Lukaku. I’ve never rated him and I’m not surprised in the slightest that he actually looks like a decent striker in Serie A, a really poor league.

Stay the f*ck away Tuchel.

If Inter are strapped for cash, why wouldn’t we go for Martinez rather than Lukaku? Younger and better, although likely more expensive than Lukaku.

11 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Is it worth taking a gamble on Aguero? Sure he’s old and injured all the time but if he managed to stay fit for two years, he’d take this team to a new level. Top class striker.

I think it would be worth it. If his workload is managed I’m sure we could keep him healthy. Would be shocking if we got both Aguero and Donnarumma on frees.

14 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

All fair points. I'm not sure whether he has improved or whether the game is just that bit slower in Italy allowing him more time. I couldn't say either way tbh.

As you say, there would be a huge weight on his shoulders if he were to come back here. He has unfinished business in the sense that he has never truly been the Drogba successor that everyone assumed. He scores yes, but has never won a major trophy in his career and continues to carry that tag of going missing in the big moments. I actually think the closest he has come thus far to winning a trophy was when he missed his penalty against Bayern in the Super Cup 8 years ago.

In my view we're not getting Haaland. He could name his price and his club and when you can do that, you're probably not going to choose us, particularly when we are known as a #9 graveyard. If you take him off the table, Lukaku looks as good an option as any. But he isn't a silver bullet by any means.

I never got the Drogba comparision, he is literally nothing like him.

Stylistically he's a lot more similar to Torres in the sense he likes through balls in behind and relies on pace and power (and they're both brats).

7 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Is it worth taking a gamble on Aguero? Sure he’s old and injured all the time but if he managed to stay fit for two years, he’d take this team to a new level. Top class striker.

Agüero would be a cheaper option as he will be available for free. He could be a great squad option, providing cover and competition for the ST position. Downsides are his age and injury proneness, which is why he would not probably be automatic first choice, but a rotational/tactical option. However if he manages to keep fit, he could still provide world class performances for us. Tho doubtful that he would like our 1, max 2 year offer. He could cash in elsewhere on a more lucrative deal if that's what he wants.

My first choice would obviously be Haaland, as would everybody's. Failing to get him, I would have a good hard look at Dominic Calvert-Lewin or Lautaro Martinez. Neither would come cheap as they still have some time on their contracts.

Lukaku... sceptical, but if we got him on a bargain deal I wouldn't mind. He has defo improved, but many strikers have come here and been unable to cope with the pressure... he also has that "flop" feeling about him if he ever came here. Serie A is probably his level and he would do good for himself if he stayed there.

Dybala is another name I've seen thrown around, but he's more of a second striker a la Werner. I want us to sign someone who is capable of playing alone up top.

On 30/03/2021 at 13:01, Argo said:

I never got the Drogba comparision, he is literally nothing like him.

Stylistically he's a lot more similar to Torres in the sense he likes through balls in behind and relies on pace and power (and they're both brats).

I think a lot of it was from Lukaku's own comments about modelling his game on Drogba. 

You're right though. Didier was much more technically gifted than Lukaku is, capable of creating his own goals from nothing, scoring from free kicks etc. Truth is perhaps only Zlatan and Ronaldo have all of Didier's clubs in their bag. He could hurt you in so many ways. 

I often found him maddening as a player because he could be brilliant and then other times not bother, but I think at his best he was the best striker to play for us for a very long time. He'll likely remain that way.  

On 29/03/2021 at 12:07, SydneyChelsea said:

In the space of a few months Conte has completely transformed this aspect of his game. He is fitter, faster and more mobile than ever. His ball control and general technique has improved out of sight and tactically he would fit like a glove in our current system, being a perfect player to get the best out of Mount or Havertz. To give credit to Lukaku, he is a changed man and his mentality has shifted.

I am completely against Lukaku. He's not the guy who will transform our attack. He's only flourishing at Serie A because apart from Milan and Juventus, there's not much competition. There are barely any defenders there that can match him physically. That is a league where 36yr old C.Ronaldo is the top scorer.

He's a flat track bully with poor technique. As soon as a good defender marks him, he's useless. 

On 30/03/2021 at 02:29, dkw said:

If we got Aguero on a free and he was happy to be 2nd/3rd choice then it would be a good signing. We arent getting more than 20 games a season out of him though.

Slot Aguero into the 11 about the same amount that Giroud gets this year, maybe a bit more, and it would be perfect.

Augero is apparently a poor trainer and doesn’t really look after himself - abit like Hazard. Naturally gifted but lazy. It’s why these type of players don’t last into their mid 30s. Compare them to the likes of Ronaldo, Thiago Sliva, Terry, Lampard etc who all took care of themselves, you can see why they’re broken by the time they’re 32/33. 

Edited by JM7

We shouldn’t go near Aguero. We missed that bus about 12 years ago. We need to somehow find our next Drogba as we’ve already got backup options in Werner and Tammy. Actually, scratch Werner, he’s not even good enough to be a backup. We could get Michy back for that.

Not posted here for a while, but I'll add my tuppence worth.

There are IMHO only 3 truly world class strikers out there at the moment. Haaland, Kane and Mbappe. If we can't get one of them, (two of them are highly unlikely), then we should stick with what we've got.

As a club aiming to compete at the very top in all competitions, we should be buying the very best. If we don't manage to get one of those 3 top strikers it's likely we will carry on languishing as one of the second tier clubs, not just in Europe, but in the Premier League too.

I don't even think getting Haaland is the must I was ten years ago, we're heading into an era of a false 9 type of striker (and we've got a very suitable player for that role) as Liverpool/Firmino and City pissing the league while barely playing Aguero and sporadically playing Jesus attests too.

Also worth noting that despite Haaland's unbelievable goal record at Dortmund as a team they've been largely rubbish during his time there.

Edited by Argo
4 hours ago, Snedger said:

We shouldn’t go near Aguero. We missed that bus about 12 years ago. We need to somehow find our next Drogba as we’ve already got backup options in Werner and Tammy. Actually, scratch Werner, he’s not even good enough to be a backup. We could get Michy back for that.

Michy as back up is just as bad as Werner you would be better having Armando Broja on the bench.

Are we really going back over old ground here? Lukaku, Aguero, f**king hell. I suppose that at least Lukaku is still in his prime, but why do we do this to ourselves. We had the players or the chance to sign them, then we come back years later interested in buying them. Annoys me. We need to be smarter with our recruitment. So much wasted money over the years spent on mediocre players.

Edited by enigma